Best Films of '07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I still have some to see and I barely rented any DVD's this year but some of my favorites were

Gone Baby Gone

Michael Clayton

Enchanted

Waitress

Bourne Ultimatum

3:10 To Yuma

Hairspray-sorry, I liked it

I saw so many in the theaters that most of them are just a fuzzy memory on the last day of 07

Zodiac
Into the Wild
Darjeeling Limited
Lives of Others
Paris J Taime (sp?)
Superbad
Ratatouille
Rescue Dawn

honorable mentions:
Bourne Ultimatum
Waitress
Sweeny Todd

I missed A LOT of movies this year
Blockbuster will be friend in the months to come

lazarus said:
Did you pay to see it 9 times?

Because spending that much time in the theatre seems contradictory to the story's message in a way, doesn't it?

Your questions are so strange. As if enjoying Into The Wild so much somehow makes me some kind of disciple of the teachings and philosophies of Chris McCandless?

Or were you trying to be funny and I missed it?

bonosgirl84 said:

Your questions are so strange. As if enjoying Into The Wild so much somehow makes me some kind of disciple of the teachings and philosophies of Chris McCandless?

Into The Pwnage.

Well I don't mean to be rude but I actually thought the questions were beneath someone of his intelligence level.

Apparently, my "spending so much time in a theatre" contradicts the story's message but so does living in a house, driving a car, having a job, keeping a good credit score, and staying in touch with my family.

I'm just not sure what one has to do with the other.

monkeyskin said:

The general situation and first two thirds of the film is very, very funny, but then the action packed final act just drags. It's an interesting idea and perhaps if they had distributed the supermarket shootout, country lane chase and model museum one on one throughout the film it would have worked better, but as it is it's just overload. The actual conspiracy plot was also crap.

Edgar Wright needs to grow as a director too, he's kept the exact same style and technique from Spaced and while it was OK for Shaun of the Dead it just doesn't work all the time here. TV ain't the same as cinema.

But I did LOL loads in the first two thirds and actually preferred it on my second viewing knowing exactly how the shift in tone works. Too many moments to list but it's great having a cast that constantly made my mates and I think, "Oh look it's _______!"

I don't know, I think it needs to work like that, with the overload at the end. It's like a punch in the face and pat on the back to Michael Bay at the same time.

The conspiracy plot wasn't great, but it was funny that it wasn't that complex plot Angel had thought he had figured out earlier.

I enjoyed it more on second viewing, too. One thing I had missed before was the cuss jar and it's selective editing of the words. Amazing little shot.

Maybe I'm just a freak, but I didn't find Hot Fuzz very funny at all. I mean I chuckled a couple times, but no lulz.

I think the parody was just way too obvious and self-conscious. And then when that doesn't work, I'm left with a bad mystery story with a boring 30-minute action sequence at the end.

But like I said, there were a few moments I thought were clever, and I thoroughly enjoyed Timothy Dalton's character, but other than that... :down:

bonosgirl84 said:

It was partially a joke? Obviously I know you're intelligent as well and that you're not some drooling Emile Hirsch stalker or something. But by the same token, I would find it hard to believe that one could be that big a fan of the film and not be charmed by McCandless' viewpoint a little. Not the burning all your money and automobile and cutting off everyone you know part, but the part about getting away from the urban grind and embracing the outdoors and what nature has to offer.

Think of it in this dramatization:

"Hey BG84, let's go on a camping trip this weekend!"

"Actually, I was thinking of going to see Into the Wild for the 9th time. I just can't get enough of one man's epic journey to discover the natural world around him."

That's what popped into my mind when I read your post, and thought the scenario was funny. So please don't be offended.

lazarus said:

It was partially a joke? Obviously I know you're intelligent as well and that you're not some drooling Emile Hirsch stalker or something. But by the same token, I would find it hard to believe that one could be that big a fan of the film and not be charmed by McCandless' viewpoint a little. Not the burning all your money and automobile and cutting off everyone you know part, but the part about getting away from the urban grind and embracing the outdoors and what nature has to offer.

Think of it in this dramatization:

"Hey BG84, let's go on a camping trip this weekend!"

"Actually, I was thinking of going to see Into the Wild for the 9th time. I just can't get enough of one man's epic journey to discover the natural world around him."

That's what popped into my mind when I read your post, and thought the scenario was funny. So please don't be offended.

Thank you for the explanation. It is actually pretty funny to think of it that way. The internet fails to translate at times.

Luckily for me, I manage to be both a frequent movie-goer and an avid outdoorsperson (paddling, mostly.)

It's all about balance (and not canoeing at night) :wink:

1. The Darjeeling Limited
2. I'm Not There
3. No Country for Old Men
4. Knocked Up
5. Juno
6. Superbad
7. Lars and the Real Girl
8. Zodiac
9. Black Snake Moan
10. Sicko

I didn't get to the theater as much this year as I normally do.

hahaha-lulz.jpg

I think it would cool to organize our own Interference Awards ballots this year. Not only compile the 10 Best lists, but we can do the categories like the Academy: list your Top 3 picks in each category and there's some kind of weighted total.

Then we can come out with an official nomination ballot and have everyone vote for the winners.

Of course, this would come into competition with our inevitable legitimate Pick The Oscar Winners contest, but it would more fun.

Would you want to do 5 noms of your own choice or from the Oscar ballot itself (when it arrives)?

LemonMacPhisto said:
Would you want to do 5 noms of your own choice or from the Oscar ballot itself (when it arrives)?

No, your own noms. I figure for the Oscar contest we'll pick who we actually think is GOING to win, but this will be more what we would nominate and award. I'll have to look up the actual nominating process to get the particulars, but I'm pretty sure it's a weighted 1-2-3 thing. The five nominees are the ones who get the highest point total.

No spoken words said:
Maybe we could add key categories like "Best Grip"?

That award likely goes to Lance, come to think of it.

I don't know, some stiff competition (no pun intended...well, okay, it was) from The Moms on that one.

Like Angelina Jolie competing against Jon Voight.

Sounds fun, though I doubt my actual Oscar predictions will be very accurate. I suck at picking those things.

Yeah, I'm getting better I'm sure, but my picks from this past February were nearly all wrong. I'll be interested in comparing my record this year to last.

Performance by an actor in a leading role
Forest Whitaker - THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND

Performance by an actor in a supporting role
Eddie Murphy - DREAMGIRLS

Performance by an actress in a leading role
Kate Winslet - LITTLE CHILDREN

Performance by an actress in a supporting role
Abigail Breslin - LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE

Best animated feature film of the year
CARS

Achievement in art direction
PAN'S LABYRINTH

Achievement in cinematography
CHILDREN OF MEN

Achievement in costume design
CURSE OF THE GOLDEN FLOWER

Achievement in directing
BABEL

Best documentary feature
AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH

Achievement in film editing
BABEL

Best foreign language film of the year
PAN'S LABYRINTH

Achievement in makeup
PAN'S LABYRINTH

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original score)
PAN'S LABYRINTH

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original song)
Something from DREAMGIRLS

Best motion picture of the year
BABEL

Achievement in sound editing
LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA

Achievement in sound mixing
DREAMGIRLS

Achievement in visual effects
PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MAN'S CHEST

Adapted screenplay
LITTLE CHILDREN

Original screenplay
LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE

I think these were my picks, and I don't really remember how close I was all together aside from the obvious ones.

I just remember Children of Men getting buttfucked out of Best Cinematography last year.

That was obscene.

Lancemc said:
I know you're a huge Wes Anderson fan, but really? #1?

I'm Not There and No Country are better films, I can admit that. Any of my top three could be the #1 on a given day, but right now I'm leaning to Darjeeling.

Keep in mind I haven't even seen There Will Be Blood yet.

Fair enough.

I don't think Darjeeling really stood up to the best of Anderson himself even though. It was definitely a step forward, but the whole thing felt like more of a transitory film that didn't quite live up to his own standard.

Back
Top Bottom