Best Covers of U2 songs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drewgie

The Fly
Hi There,

I was just wondering what people think about u2 covers in general. I dont like the idea as a rule, but I do like the following

Keane- with or without you
Luka Bloom - Bad
Automatic Baby - One

Are there any others out there that people consider to be good versions of U2 songs?

I hate that 90's cover of pride or Cher's I still haven't found. To me they are the worst...in particular Cher's...she made a beautiful song sound so Cheesy.

Cheers

Andrew

I fogot Tori Amos...that's a cracker...in fact most of her covers are fantastic!

Gloria by Audio Adrenaline, Sunday Bloody Sunday by Pillar, Love Is Blindness by Sixpence None The Richer, and Where The Streets Have No Name by Chris Tomlin.

Has to be WTSHNN by the Pet Shop Boys. Superb cover, very under-rated and perfectly captured the essence of the song.

the tourist said:
Gloria by Audio Adrenaline, Sunday Bloody Sunday by Pillar, Love Is Blindness by Sixpence None The Richer, and Where The Streets Have No Name by Chris Tomlin.

Personally, I hate that LIB cover. Sixpence thoroughly butchered that song in my eyes.

I normally don't enjoy U2 covers, but Johnny Cash did One superbly. I also enjoy Dream Theater's covers of Bad and Red Hill Mining Town (but I'm a little biased, as they're my second-favourite band).

Axver said:

I also enjoy Dream Theater's covers of Bad and Red Hill Mining Town (but I'm a little biased, as they're my second-favourite band).

I gotta hear them! What albums are they on Axver? I'll get em' in the shop.:wink:

Johnny cashs one is great.. But normally i dont even wanna listen to somebody covering a U2 song. And sixpence none the richer :madspit: ,, Another song they killed was crowded house´s dont dream its over,,,

Ohhh, The Pet shop boys WTSHNN is indeed a great cover too.

Keane - With Or Without You
Delirious? - Pride
Starfield - 40
Johnny Cash - One
Tina Turner - Golden Eye
That's all I can remeber right now

Also consider:
Bono - The Wanderer (Never heard that one but I'm sure it's :bow: )
Edge89 - If you wear that Velvet Dress :eyebrow: :lmao:
Craig David - One (aka Walkin' away)

Sepultura's cover of "Bullet The Blue Sky" is pretty good and heavy.

Johnny Cash's "One" is awesome.

I've been checking these out on iTunes, and personally Luka Bloom's Bad is the best of the lot. Unless you guys are maybe referring to something other than what they had of Johnny Cash's one, I thought he sounded dead. Musically it was decent, but I didn't feel the energy and emotion...:|

ascender_RS said:
Has to be WTSHNN by the Pet Shop Boys. Superb cover, very under-rated and perfectly captured the essence of the song.

I agree with you 110%.

Edited to say: Just because I listen to the Pet Shop Boys, does not mean I am gay.:wink:

Last edited:
Can I get a hold of the mp3 of Vanessa Carlton's cover of 'Where The Streets Have No Name" please?

Aardvark747 said:

I gotta hear them! What albums are they on Axver? I'll get em' in the shop.:wink:

I'm pretty sure they aren't on any album. The Bad cover is definitely live, and I think Red Hill Mining Town is too. Leave me your e-mail address and I can send you the MP3s.

I believe they wrote To Live Forever [which is only on limited fanclub releases, I think] after seeing Rattle And Hum.

I've also got to say that I am appalled to see Starfield's cover of 40 listed. That is arguably one of the worst covers of any song I have ever heard by any artist. Absolutely disgraceful.

Great! Now where can I find an mp3s of all these covers already mentioned above? They sure do sound interesting.

While not necessarily the best covers, these covers are also worth checking out:

Clay Aiken - Where The Streets Have No Name
Bon Jovi - One
Cher - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

Cheers,

J

ascender_RS said:

Oh! There actually was a cover by Pet shop boys doing Streets...I thought you were joking and was pointing to the classic album dvd where Lilywhite goes "Pet shop boys..." during the "streets" part
:reject: :uhoh: :lmao:

Johnny Cash's One and the Automatic baby-thing. Though I'm not sure you can count it really, cos half of U2 were playing... ;)

Luka Bloom is the master of covers, Dancing Queen anyone? btw his Bad is wondefully amazing:wink:

Where The Streets Have No Name- Flea,Brad Wilk,Tom Morello,Pete Yorn,Tim Walker,Serj Tankian,Maynard James Keenan,Jonny Polonsky

Haven't heard it yet but sounds interesting.

does anyone know where I could find the Keane cover of WoWY and/or the Johnny Cash cover of One?

I've never heard any covers, except this cover by a french pop star (vanessa something...) and it wasn't any good.:huh:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom