Belize

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kristie said:
any appropriate for the forum suggestions, you mean? :sexywink:

buy your good friend Kristie something and mail it to her :D

:wave: hi eliz!

hardy har har.

btw ...can you imagine...i let adam's bday slip by without noticing. damn i'm a bad fan.

but in other related news, i rec'd a new pair of cool pants in the mail today!

i love pants!

i'm hoping that's true. i can't wait to get out of pittsburgh! nothing against the city, but i'm ready for sun and fun!

that's so cool! did u get any new adam pants?

here's a tip for belize: don't forget to wear sunscreen! :D

no, unfortunately. but i do enjoy looking at the adam pants on the Boudouir!! I can't even describe how perfect you have rendered them.

anyway, i hear there are nude beaches in Belize.

we plan to hit the beach right away...scuba the 2nd largest barrrier reef in the world...visit some Mayan ruins...

i'm so excited, thinking about it has inspired a story in me!

I went to a nude beach in St. Maarten and let me tell ya... there's nothing to see... :yuck:

Jam Jar said:

...nude beaches are exciting?

(mehehe!)

i didn't mean THAT! you took it out of context! ;)

did i ever tell you about my mother-in-law going to a nude beach in Yugoslavia? They approached by boat and she leaned over to her husband and asked "Why is everyone wearing black bikini bottoms?"

well, i'm back....i hope you made some good progress on your writing, K!

I've shared my pics with Kiran already but she said some plebans might enjoy seeing what i saw as well. i have a few photos on snapfish...prob about 30-40...not sure. i'll post some here and if you want to see more, let me know and i'll share the album with you!

San Pedro, on Ambergris Caye (otherwise known as La Isla Bonita for all you Madonna fans...)

336%3C%3B54323232%7Ffp66%3Dot%3E2326%3D67%3A%3D%3B%3B9%3Dxroqdf%3E23233876%3A6973ot1lsi

My room at the Tropica Hotel, south of San Pedro

336%3C%3B54323232%7Ffp6%3A%3Dot%3E2326%3D67%3A%3D%3B%3B9%3Dxroqdf%3E23233876%3A779%3Bot1lsi

The beach in front of my hotel...

336%3C%3B54323232%7Ffp69%3Dot%3E2323%3D478%3D6%3B4%3D32324785%3C3828nua%3C2gi1lsi

Just a few more...

Sharks feeding next to our boat at Blue Hole

336%3C%3B54323232%7Ffp67%3Dot%3E2326%3D67%3A%3D%3B%3B9%3Dxroqdf%3E23233876%3A95%3C3ot1lsi

Iguana hidden in the tree on Half Moon Caye

336%3C%3B54323232%7Ffp67%3Dot%3E2326%3D67%3A%3D%3B%3B9%3Dxroqdf%3E23233876%3A%3A%3B%3A4ot1lsi

The jungle viewed from the plane back to the mainland

336%3C%3B54323232%7Ffp6%3A%3Dot%3E2326%3D67%3A%3D%3B%3B9%3Dxroqdf%3E23233876%3B4263ot1lsi

Wow, thats great! I plan to look around in this area, but I definitely can?t make it to Belize. I would be glad if you could share the pics with a silly European who is thinking of relocating and if you could tell me details about beaches and this and that. I?ll PM you my email.

Thank you!

That looks awesome. If I were you, I would have cried all the way back to Pittsburgh!!!!

ah...how beautiful!!!

I'd like to go there one day.

Nice to have u back tho! :hug: :)

Ok lemme first start by saying hi to all my buds...kiran, elaine, hippy, gina, spinny, kristie, marina, brianne...gosh who else...i feel like i'm at the oscars...anyway, sorry I've been gone so much and I'm happy to share some stories about Belize. I won't bore you with too many details..hopefully just some interesting ones.

Belize is only 2 hrs from the US, and is really safe and a great place to visit. We stayed on Ambergris Caye...a very tourist spot but still very beautiful. It is La Isla Bonita that Madonna sang about - literally! The town is San Pedro.

We had a room at the Tropica. I wouldn't recommend it for a few reasons but the beach front was of course unbelievable. The water wasnt great for snorkeling, but we found ways to get to amazing spots.

The food on Ambergris was amazing. There were some delicious restaraunts...and rum punch is the drink of choice. Belikin is the beer of choice....the weather was fab, the streets weren't paved...it was so dark at night we could see the Milky Way....

how's that for a start?

so i'm still here typing...I'm in the sarong I bought on Ambergris Caye....yes it makes me think of de island...and you-know-who.

So our first trip was to Lamanai...Maya ruins in the jungles of the country. We had a river tour to the ruins which was soooo cool. We saw bats, crocs, tons of birds, howler monkeys, a Jesus lizard, snake cactus, orchids with stems 3 meters long, mangroves stretched their roots into the water and palms waved overhead...fantastic.

at Lamanai we touched stone that had been carved thousands of years ago...we walked paths that were worn away over hundreds of generations...it was so thrilling to be in such an ancient place. I get the same feeling when I visit the tombs in Ireland.

Lamanai was nice and quiet and encouraged a lot of reflection. We did the trip early into our vacation so it was a nice way to start.

Diving---

we did two days of diving...it was rather expensive but worth it. When we dove in Palau it involved a minimum of 45 minutes in a small boat over rough seas. At Ambergris, it was 10 minutes maximum.

On my refresher dive off the pier from Ramon's, I saw a ray! Nice way to start the diving!

The next day we hit two spots on the reef, which is right off the island. The dives are rather shallow and that mean seem "weak" or "dull" to some divers, but I love it. It increases bottom time so you can slowly examine the reef and find hidden creatures!

For instance, on our first dive we saw this guy:

eelopenmouthsmartsm.jpg

My husband Ed found him nestled in a tiny little hole in the rocks.

Our guide foud 5 lobsters huddled under a ledge. All we could from above were their antennae that looked like waving coral whips. But go a little lower, look under the ledge and there were 5 pairs of eyes looking at you, 5 pairs of claws ready to pinch!

Our second day of diving was a much bigger ordeal.

We hopped on a large boat operated by Amigos Del Mar and headed out about 2-3 hrs to the Great Blue Hole. Here's where we were:

blueholemed.jpg

I was definitely intimidated. This dive involves a descent to about 130-140 ft to see the stalactites in the underwater cave. A total of 8 min bottom time with at least 2 safety stops, one for about 7 minutes! You can imagine divers get a little bored waiting there, so crew on the boat toss chum in the water to attract sharks to entertain the divers about 20 ft below...a lot for me to handle!

I jumped in but at about 45 ft, saw how dark the water was in the hole and made an executive decision...there were at least 2 other dives planned and I wanted to enjoy myself, not freak out. So i headed back up and rested in the boat...and I'm glad I did...I was able to get those amazing shark photos!

Our next two dives were at spots off Lighthouse Reef.

First was Cathedral heading toward the Crack, and the second was the Aquarium.

There is good info and some cool photos here:

http://ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/divelighthouse.html

We saw a turtle on the first dive and at the end of the second dive we were completed surrounded by schools of fish...at least four different kinds...it was then that I thought, "This is why I wanted to dive. This is what it's all about."

The crew were fantastic and overall we had a blast. But let me mention that the boat ride out there, past the reefs, gets pretty wild. It is not for the faint of heart or the easily seasick. I was cool but Ed was turning a little marine-green. Another guy on the boat had to stand the whole time. It's definitely an adventure and you feel drained but satisfied on the way home. A memory...

OH! I forgot to tell you...when I jumped in the water at Blue Hole, I glanced under the boat and a big barracuda just hanging out by the propellor. Pretty wild!

This is where we ate dinner one night...

15-reducedsm.jpg

The placee is called Capricorn. It's three miles north of San Pedro Town, and we were at least one mile south of San Pedro, so the water taxi trip covered about 4 miles on the water in the total dark!

It was very disorienting at first!!

But after a few minutes we were relaxed and enjoying ourselves. We were heading directly north...right in front of us was the Big Dipper, crystal clear! It was so beautiful. We had these little filet medallions for our dinner and they were fantastic along with the Chilean wine. It was pricey, but we had budgeted for it and scimped on a few breakfasts...haha!

Overall, those were some of my best memories. I hope they entertained you a little and gave you at least a vicarious break from the workday...or whenever you read this!

Back
Top Bottom