Backing Guitar Tracks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tim Wallach

The Fly
My apologies if this has been asked and is buried somewhere in the forums. But I had a debate with someone about Edge's backing guitar tracks. Can some of the guitarist/tech folks in the crowd let me know if Edge uses any pre-recorded guitar tracks during the shows? To my ear, I can't hear any. He always seems to choose a single layer and play it, with some effects in tow.

But aside from the obvious (intro to EBTTRT), it seems to me he plays everything live. Can someone clarify.

Thanks in advance.

The only pre-recorded guitar part I've ever heard is in the Bullet The Blue Sky chorus, but even then it's relatively faint and sounds more like one of the usual keyboard samples than a guitar. All of his main parts are live, with Bono occasionally playing some parts of his own (see "The Fly") to fill out the sound.

I think they use quite a few vocal tracks, but I don't think many guitar tracks are used. For the somewhat prominent rhythm parts that Edge can't cover, Bono usually can cover on guitar (The Fly, formerly Walk On, One, etc).

Thank you all for the replies.

That's what I thought. A friend told me Edge uses them all the time, but my ear could never hear anything he wasn't playing live, so I called b.s.

I appreciate the replies from the more knowledgeable folks on here.

Back
Top Bottom