Back in the Studio?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PookaMacP

War Child
Watching the start of the 'People in Need' fund-raising night on RTE (Irish state television) last night, Bono and Edge opened the programme with a brief rendition of C'mon Everybody - the telethon's theme tune - and Edge walked off playing the opening chords to Stairway to Heaven on acoustic. Interestingly, the piece was recorded in front of the Hanover Quay studios. It was recorded, since it was daylight, but given Bono's cropped hair-cut, it must have been done relatively recently, so, by inference, I reckon they must be back recording again. Presumably this is the resumption of the Eze-Fez sessions that Lanois suggested would start again in November, just reconvened a bit earlier. Or, of course, it could be that the band are working on material on their own prior to meeting back up.

In any case, good news!

well, according to many reports, U2 has been actively recording for about a year now. and Bono's had that hair cut for over a year also.

i agree though, i think they went back to the studio a bit early which is great news, as it indicates they're very excited about the material!

Pooka, do you any video links of that performance for we "rest of the world" fans?

cheers-

dr. zooeuss said:
i agree though, i think they went back to the studio a bit early which is great news, as it indicates they're very excited about the material!

Pooka, do you any video links of that performance for we "rest of the world" fans?

cheers-

Apologies - no link. Just saw it by accident last night. It was only a couple of bars in any case so I doubt it would make great watching.

mikal said:
well, according to many reports, U2 has been actively recording for about a year now. and Bono's had that hair cut for over a year also.

Fair enough. Don't think I could have missed the fact that they have been recording for about a year, I was merely passing on the info re the fact that they're back a bit earlier than November.

PookaMacP said:
Watching the start of the 'People in Need' fund-raising night on RTE (Irish state television) last night, Bono and Edge opened the programme with a brief rendition of C'mon Everybody - the telethon's theme tune - and Edge walked off playing the opening chords to Stairway to Heaven on acoustic. Interestingly, the piece was recorded in front of the Hanover Quay studios. It was recorded, since it was daylight, but given Bono's cropped hair-cut, it must have been done relatively recently, so, by inference, I reckon they must be back recording again. Presumably this is the resumption of the Eze-Fez sessions that Lanois suggested would start again in November, just reconvened a bit earlier. Or, of course, it could be that the band are working on material on their own prior to meeting back up.

In any case, good news!

Thanks for the update PookaMacP. :up: :up:

PookaMacP said:

Apologies - no link. Just saw it by accident last night. It was only a couple of bars in any case so I doubt it would make great watching.

Fair enough. Don't think I could have missed the fact that they have been recording for about a year, I was merely passing on the info re the fact that they're back a bit earlier than November.

no worries- thanks for the update!

U2 have been in Dublin recording on their own for a while as you said, just watch Bono's Liberty Medal speech where he says the following:

And I also want to thank the members of U2 for not firing me when they hear I'm in Philadelphia this evening because they're in the studio expecting me...

http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=4755

Interferencers have been visiting the band at Hanover Quay Studios recently as well.
http://forum.interference.com/t180257.html

Don't expect the Eno/Lanois+U2 sessions to start before November 17th though.
A press release regarding Danny's performance on the 2007 Hamilton Music Awards states the following:

The Hamilton concert will be Lanois' last live performance of the year. Lanois will spend the balance of 2007 in the
recording studio with Brian Eno and U2.

http://www.hamiltonmusicawards.com/festival.html#daniel

Last edited:
So, on the Facebook group "All Because of U2", someone claims to have seen U2 in London recently and acquired the following information:

"New album out early 2008. definately produced by Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois. "

Can anyone confirm or deny this information? I personally have my doubts about the "early" part; as it appears many of us do.

:hmm: Interesting. It's possible they mixed things up and this is about the "Passengers part II" album. I don't think anyone said Eno and Lanois are producing the new U2 album...

When Ali was here a couple of weeks ago to promote the Edun line, I asked her about a new album. She said new album in 2008, tour 2009. Said they are still working with Danny (Lanois) & Brian (Eno), and we asked about Rick (Rubin), and there may be a contribution or something with him as well. And the whole band is not recording at the moment, since Bono has spent most of October in the U.S. giving lectures/speeches, accepting awards, trick or treating :wink: , etc. In theory he's supposed to return to the studio in November. Ali laughed & agreed about the 'in theory' part :up:

Lila64 said:
When Ali was here a couple of weeks ago to promote the Edun line, I asked her about a new album. She said new album in 2008, tour 2009. Said they are still working with Danny (Lanois) & Brian (Eno), and we asked about Rick (Rubin), and there may be a contribution or something with him as well. And the whole band is not recording at the moment, since Bono has spent most of October in the U.S. giving lectures/speeches, accepting awards, trick or treating :wink: , etc. In theory he's supposed to return to the studio in November. Ali laughed & agreed about the 'in theory' part :up:

That doesn't mean they're not recording. Only Bono's not there. The other band members can finish already written and recorded songs. Bono can give his input afterwards.

BANZAI said:

That doesn't mean they're not recording. Only Bono's not there. The other band members can finish already written and recorded songs. Bono can give his input afterwards.

I think that's what she meant...that the band aren't currently recording as a whole, but that the rest of the guys are there. I think that Larry's been spotted at the studio recently.

Back
Top Bottom