B&C's 2016 Albums of the Year AKA End of Times Soundtrack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And some of the criticisms here of RHCP are exactly the same ones that are always leveled at them here that drive me crazy. I don't care if you don't like them, but dismissing them simply because their lyrics strike you as bad or silly or dumb, makes me nuts. If you dislike their actual music as well, then disregard this, but if you can't enjoy the music no matter what because of the lyrics, I don't get that.

But we've had this debate before, it won't go anywhere.

20. Savages - Adore Life (26 points, 3 votes)
19. Bon Iver - 22, A Million (27 points, 5 votes)
18. Mitski - Puberty 2 (29 points, 4 votes)
17. Anderson.Paak - Malibu (29 points, 4 votes)
16. Underworld - Barbara Barbara, We Face a Shining Future (30 points, 4 votes)
15. Preoccupations - Preoccupations (31 points, 4 votes)
14. Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition (34 points, 5 votes)
13. Alcest - Kodama (35 points, 3 votes)
12. Shearwater - Jet Plane and Oxbow (36 points, 4 votes)
11. Kendrick Lamar - Untitled unmastered (38 points, 7 votes)

Kendrick was in the top 10 until 2 or 3 days ago. Missed it by a point.

Hey-oh. Listen to what I say-oh. Snow-oh.
Case closed on RHCP.

Additional superlatives for The Bride would be best special edition vinyl and hottest gatefold.

Yes, super-agree with this. The Bride is a beautiful record. Personally, I think it's her best. The vinyl was really fantastic too.

29. Memoryhouse - Soft Hate (18 points, 2 votes)
23. Russian Circles - Guidance (22 points, 3 votes)
21. Crying - Beyond the Fleeting Gates (25 points, 4 votes)[/B]

Good work B&C.

13. Alcest - Kodama (35 points, 3 votes)

Great work. It seems that those of us on B&C who love Alcest really, really love Alcest, while the rest of the forum just shrugs.

If you dislike their actual music as well, then disregard this, but if you can't enjoy the music no matter what because of the lyrics, I don't get that.

And I don't get this. Why would you suggest that the lyrics matter any less than what's played on guitar, bass, keys, drums, etc.? If a song has a guitar solo with poorly-chosen notes that makes the listener wince, you're cool with that as a criticism, but you're baffled that a chorus with poorly-chosen words might make a listener wince.

And I don't get this. Why would you suggest that the lyrics matter any less than what's played on guitar, bass, keys, drums, etc.? If a song has a guitar solo with poorly-chosen notes that makes the listener wince, you're cool with that as a criticism, but you're baffled that a chorus with poorly-chosen words might make a listener wince.

Because as a technical matter, lyrics are separate from music. I can appreciate a great lyric or bemoan a bad lyric as much as the next person, but I guess I've just always had the ability to ignore a bad or silly lyric if I love the melody it's being sung to or the instrumentation it's being sung alongside of.

I know it's different for different people. Perhaps saying I don't 'get' it was inaccurate, maybe more like I don't agree with it, because I've always been able to ignore a lyric I don't like if the music is good.

Agreed.

22 a Mil is really underrated. Not viewed fairly here.

The Bride was heavy on concept, light on actual engaging songs. Hottest cover though, no arguments from me there.

By the Way also my fav RHCP record. Love that thing.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

12tmag-rihanna-toc-t-blog427.jpg

10. Rihanna - ANTI (39 points, 4 votes)

Lazarus said:
That is some great shit

cobbler said:
I think, if you put together all of Rihanna's best tracks on the one disc, you would have pretty much the single best pop collection by any artist this millennium.

Mack_Again said:
I listened 5 second sample of iTunes and I already hate it..

Don't really get the love for the Rihanna album. I've certainly heard much worse, but it's not that special as a whole imo. The last four tracks are great. Like I've said before, I'd love hear a whole record of her doing that kind of slower, Billie Holiday type stuff.

f74934e6aa1d9639e40c740e978b5fd7.jpg

9. Angel Olsen - My Woman (40 points, 6 votes)

namkcuR said:
Wasn't expecting so much of it to have so much of a rock element, wasn't expecting such prominent guitar part.

cobbler said:
The jewels are in the back end

LanceMC said:
So Angel Olsen's new album is pretty great huh

iron yuppie said:
Angel Olsen seems like the kind of artist I should like, but I just can't dig it.

Axver said:
I'm trying to figure out what the likes of Angel Olsen and Weyes Blood are doing on a rock list

solange-1-b007fa0e-875c-4675-8569-d65e29561e65.jpg

8. Solange - A Seat at the Table (41 points, 7 votes)

LanceMC said:
God damn this Solange album is colossal. Guys...

bono_212 said:
I just listened to Solange. Oh my stars.

namkcuR said:
I'm listening to this Solange album for the first time and so far it's better than anything her sister ever put out imo. Am I nuts for saying that?

LemonMelon said:
Cranes in the Sky has a reasonable claim to SOTY

Hewson said:
And Leo will deck Kanye when he comes on stage to protest that it beat out Solange's album.

Put Beyonce's vocals over the instrumentals of Seat at the Table and you have a great, great album. As it stands Solange can't take a lot of those songs where they are asking to go.

Put Beyonce's vocals over the instrumentals of Seat at the Table and you have a great, great album. As it stands Solange can't take a lot of those songs where they are asking to go.

I couldn't possibly disagree more. Solange's more understated vocal style is exactly what the album needed and what makes it great.

1475759-Frank-Ocean-best-bets-617-409.jpg

7. Frank Ocean - Blonde (53 points, 6 votes)

nielsgov said:
For an artist who only has one official album, four years is an eternity.
LemonMelon said:
Cobbler is gonna cry tears of joy over Solo (Reprise). What a fucking verse.
Lazarus said:
Nice to see THE COFF! showing up here. No sign of THE DOO!, so Imperor can suck it.
iron yuppie said:
Frank sounds appropriately sensual and tortured throughout. Possible AOTY here, I'm thinking.
GAF said:
I wish it was spelled Blonde and not Blond. That's gonna bug me.
cobbler said:
I am really missing some more accessible bangers.
PFan said:
I'll let you know when I encounter the first enjoyable interlude in music history

Back
Top Bottom