Australia dates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thatsnotmypuppy said:
Exactly - a number of sources now - including apparently Bono himself have confirmed indoor Australian shows. Which is a shame - but at the end of the day they have the right to play wherever they choose to. I hope that they look at Telstra Dome in melb as an indoor venue though!

The source Paul McGuiness has said only indoor shows on the next tour will be US.

If you download the Australian radio interview that Kennedo has very kindly uploaded you will hear Bono say that Australia will be indoor venues as Australia missed out on the last tour, and so missed out on the indoor venues last time.

U2girl said:

The source Paul McGuiness has said only indoor shows on the next tour will be US.

Show me where please. I have read where Paul McGuiness has said that the USA will have indoor shows but not read where he has said that the USA are the "only" indoor shows.

He said they're going to US indoors, Europe outdoors and Australia/Japan.

Would he not say "we're playing indoors in Australia and Japan" if it was made up already and a fact?

I also read not all dates have been finalized yet so to say they're playing indoors matter-of-factly seems premature to me.

I would be seriously suprised if the U2s dates are not already booked. Every man and hes dog is coming to Australia next year. Its supposed to be the biggest year for concerts in Australia in quite some time.

The promoters have been whinging that the average concert goer will have too many concerts to choose from and wont have enough money to see all of them and will pick and choose.

ie if U2 are not well and truely booked by now, theyre not coming. There wont be any venues available.

I guess we will find out soon enough.

Right - we need Sydneyto hurry and put the roof on Telstra Stadium like they have muttered about - so thats indoors! Telstra Dome in Melb is indoors! That'll do for starters!

I doubt we'll see U2 play Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

Please note that the Japanese shows will be indoor due to the little issue of it being winter up north. However odds on they'll be at indoor stadiums - Tokyo Dome, Osaka Dome, Sapporo Dome etc - each of which is 40,000+ capacity. The stage set up in those places will probably be the stadium set up simply due to the scale of the place. I saw Madonna at the Tokyo Dome in 1993, and she bought her whole stadium show in there.

So perhaps there is still some hope for stadium shows in Aust - but everything points to an indoor tour.

beli said:

ie if U2 are not well and truely booked by now, theyre not coming. There wont be any venues available.

Having recently worked at Melbourne and Olympic Park, I can assure you at this point most of the third and fourth quarter 2005 is yet to to be fully tied up. This time last year we knew in advance about Cher, Live and The Eagles - Cher gave 18 months notice! As you could guess, a lot of acts were booked later in the year. We would normally recieve a set slot of blacked out dates from a promoter - but not who was actually coming on those dates. That is normally announced a fortnight before the on sale date.

As for 2005 - the only really big names I can confirm are coming in the first and second quarter that haven't been announced are Bette Midler and Elton John. You heard it here first! Heh heh! Other unconfirmed rumours were Billy Joel, Green Day (who have since announced and sold out a date), Bon Jovi (late 2005) and Janet Jackson.

It is not a rare occurence to be able to slot in dates with verey little notice. For Prince, the promoter had to secure dates a week before on sale date. It can be that sudden. Prince was still able to secure a 3 night slot - but only used 2.

U2 and Paul McGuinness would be able to secure dates easily - the big events - Australian Open, Disney On Ice etc are normally done with by June/July and multi dates are open specifically for concerts from August through December, and February through April.

I wouldn't fret about there being no venues. I hope this has allayed some fears!! :)

thatsnotmypuppy said:

I doubt we'll see U2 play Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

Whoops - I meant Brisbane AS WELL as the Gold Coast.

Sorry beli - I didn't mean to imply you were worried, I just thought an explanation on how these big venues work might have helped/interested some people.

All up, Rod Laver is expected to host 27 international events in 2005 - that's just what we were notified about - allot more will be added. Busy year!

Last edited:
A friend told me this today (not sure of source yet, but possibly on triple m radio)

Rumoured Oz dates:

Brisbane 2, 3 Dec 2005
Melbourne 6, 7, 9, 10 Dec
Sydney 13, 14, 17, 18 Dec

I guess we'll find out soon. Better save some more $$$$!

Just found this and an extensive lists of rumoured dates and venues for next year at u 2 t o u r s. c o m

Says Bris Entertainment Centre, Melb Rod Laver, Syd Superdome... No idea whether this is credible. What about Perth and Adelaide? Also no mention of NZ dates... :hmm:

thatsnotmypuppy said:
Whoops - I meant Brisbane AS WELL as the Gold Coast.

Hmm. I'm wondering about it. Brisbane is Australia's third largest city, but the Gold Coast is growing at an extremely rapid rate and has a new Convention Centre (I have no idea of the capacity). They could split the dates between the two - say, two in Brisbane, one on the Coast rather than three in Brisbane.

Larry's drumstick said:
No idea whether this is credible. What about Perth and Adelaide? Also no mention of NZ dates... :hmm:

well Perth was left off Zoo TV, and Adelaide left of PopMart...maybe they'll take them both out this time because of less success in ticket sales over there (i think the Adelaide Zoo TV show was a little over half full....i could be wrong)

If they do actually leave them out though....we could have world war III.

The Adelaide show was almost cancelled until sales picked up a week out of U2's actual arrival.

Also I cant see U2 splitting the Brisbane dates. Why pull down the netire stage, pack it all up, and drive it 80kms down the highway to the Gold Coast just to set it all up again. It will be one or the other - and as fast as the Gold Coast is growing, Brisbane is still, what, 1.6 million people or something like that? It seems ridiculous to play to a smaller market considering the huge expense of touring here.

thatsnotmypuppy said:
The Adelaide show was almost cancelled until sales picked up a week out of U2's actual arrival.

Also I cant see U2 splitting the Brisbane dates. Why pull down the netire stage, pack it all up, and drive it 80kms down the highway to the Gold Coast just to set it all up again. It will be one or the other - and as fast as the Gold Coast is growing, Brisbane is still, what, 1.6 million people or something like that? It seems ridiculous to play to a smaller market considering the huge expense of touring here.

Brisbane has a population of a million, Gold Coast is fast approaching (I think Gold Coast + Tweed Heads = 800,000). There are 2.5 million in the southeast corner of Queensland.

Considering the fact this Convention Centre is brand new, I think it has a faint opportunity. Not holding my breath, though. I'll be taking the train up to Brisbane. And the plane to every other gig.

i found somewhere on www. about the Australian date's....

02-12-2005 Brisbane , Entertainment Center , Australia
03-12-2005 Brisbane , Entertainment Center , Australia
06-12-2005 Melbourne , Rod Layer Arena , Australia
07-12-2005 Melbourne , Rod Layer Arena , Australia
09-12-2005 Melbourne , Rod Layer Arena , Australia
10-12-2005 Melbourne , Rod Layer Arena , Australia
13-12-2005 Sydney , Superdome , Australia
14-12-2005 Sydney , Superdome , Australia
17-12-2005 Sydney , Superdome , Australia
18-12-2005 Sydney , Superdome , Australia

According to the Sydney Morning Herald....
http://www.smh.com.au/news/Music/U2-set-to-return-in-December/2005/01/01/1104345036242.html
there is going to be 4 shows played in Sydney at the Superdome (an indoor venue which would hold around 20,000 with all the seats filled ie. behind the stage, and GA), and the only other states would be QLD and VIC that would get the show.

So I assume they would have 8 shows all up, so 2 in Brisbane, and 2 or maybe 3 in Melbourne (2 if they use the Telstra dome, 3 if they use the Rod Laver arena).

So it looks like the other states miss out.

BTW, as the article states, it says that these dates were leaked onto the net so they are not confirmed yet, so I guess this is subject to change.

Unless the 'leak on the internet' was
U2C post??!?!? And they based the article on that or from the source of his info, as they are exactly the same.

it's the most stupidist thing i've ever heard to only have two shows in brisbane and melbourne, and not have any in adelaide and perth seeing as they won't have been here for 7 years. so many people will miss out.

These are the 'correct' LEAKED dates

2, 3: Brisbane - Entertainment Center
6, 7, 9,10: Melbourne - Rod Laver
13,14,17,18: Sydney - Superdome

Sorry, I was referring to my post about having only 2 shows in Melbourne as being only my opinion.

After I wrote that post I discovered the LEAK on the net, they may not be correct, but they are the proper leaked dates, not my assumption on dates. So in that way they are correct.

But I did bold the word leak to show that they are only rumours.

If those dates are correct, Melbourne and that area at least has some coverage. It's Perth that's missing out. They could play that little stadium they played for POPmart there. 10,000 capacity or something?

charbono said:
If U2 don't announce that they're doing Adelaide &/or Perth, I'm starting a petition!!

I'll join you! Considering the new album has been consistently in the top 10 here since its release, and that they haven't been here for so long, I think U2 owe it to us to do a bit more than just stick to the eastern states. Also, with some decent artists coming to Adelaide in recent years, we've really got back into going to concerts! I don't think they'd have any problems selling out - if it's indoors I'm going for the Ent Cent (I'd love Festival Centre, but Ent Cent holds more). Heh heh, I was just imagining them playing at the Thebby...:wink:

A petition is useless. U2 deep down dont really give a toss about the fans, its only a mask they wear so we respect them and give them all our cash. This tour is purely business. If Adelaide is deemed as a place that wont gather enough profit, then they wont come, regardless of how many fans hearts are broken.

Back
Top Bottom