Augmented Reality?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I mean...

They're contained within a screen that gives off the illusion as I'd they're floating. They still need a screen - would unless we're suggesting that they've placed 4 of these screen cubes around the big one, including on both stages themselves... then this is not what's seen in the teaser video.

the mesh is a decent point, but the images in question in the Instagram video come off the main screen... which is why it's likely that it's a camera filter or lighting trick.

Alas, we'll time out shortly.

I don't think the images are coming off the main screen; toward the end of the clip you can see the shadow of the screen and it doesn't look like it's on. also, the "ocean" is in the entire frame (you are actually looking 'through' it to see the band).

I don't think the images are coming off the main screen; toward the end of the clip you can see the shadow of the screen and it doesn't look like it's on. also, the "ocean" is in the entire frame (you are actually looking 'through' it to see the band).

By coming off I mean they are not on the screen. Which is why it's likely a camera filter or lighting effect.

Now, you're at the other end of the dinner plate
Seven courses flash past your eyes
So many carbs and layered desserts saying
This is no time not to have a knife...

They're contained within a screen that gives off the illusion as I'd they're floating. They still need a screen - would unless we're suggesting that they've placed 4 of these screen cubes around the big one, including on both stages themselves... then this is not what's seen in the teaser video.

the mesh is a decent point, but the images in question in the Instagram video come off the main screen... which is why it's likely that it's a camera filter or lighting trick.

Alas, we'll time out shortly.

I’m not following you. The screen for the holograms (such as the astronaut) is the near-invisible projection mesh, Holo-Gauze. These holograms don’t require the use of the LED screen cube, this is used for other effects. The cube, & the larger LED screen, are also used to add the illusion of depth. Not of the actual hologram, but of it’s surroundings. For example, the screens display the stars behind the astronaut hologram.

All that is needed for the holograms is the Holo-Gauze mesh, & four 3D projectors, such as the Panasonic PT-RZ31K (used in Epic 5.0).

I’d envision that there will be two Holo-Gauze mesh screens, one attached to each side of the main LED screen (attached to the bottom of screen, & hanging from the roof). Each of these Holo-Gauze mesh screens will have four projectors. I don’t think there will be any hologram technology used at the main stage, or the e-stage.

Here’s a demonstration of a hologram using Holo-Gauze, by Stuart Warren Hill, the creator of Holo-Gauze & the CEO of Holotronica, who have been used for Eric Prydz’s’s Epic shows. Plenty more of their videos online,

One thing I’d been thinking about was what the sightlines would be like for the holograms. Looks like they could be a little worse for those at the end of the arena than the LED screen was on i+e. So just like i+e, those in seats down the sidelines of the arena will experience great visuals, while those seated at the area ends will miss out on some of it. People near the catwalk (close to the front-of-stage & the e-stage) may also struggle to see the holograms also. The further the Holo-Gauze mesh screen is away from the top of the main LED screen, the greater the feeling of depth between the holograms & any background visuals. But also, this means more people at arena ends will have poor views of the holograms. So a balancing act I’d say.

I’d agree that the waves in the Iris video aren’t a live hologram. It is a camera filter, a layer added in post production.

Last edited:
I’m not following you. The screen for the holograms (such as the astronaut) is the near-invisible projection mesh, Holo-Gauze. These holograms don’t require the use of the LED screen cube, this is used for other effects. The cube, & the larger LED screen, are also used to add the illusion of depth. Not of the actual hologram, but of it’s surroundings. For example, the screens display the stars behind the astronaut hologram.

All that is needed for the holograms is the Holo-Gauze mesh, & four 3D projectors, such as the Panasonic PT-RZ31K (used in Epic 5.0).

I’d envision that there will be two Holo-Gauze mesh screens, one attached to each side of the main LED screen (attached to the bottom of screen, & hanging from the roof). Each of these Holo-Gauze mesh screens will have four projectors. I don’t think there will be any hologram technology used at the main stage, or the e-stage.

Here’s a demonstration of a hologram using Holo-Gauze, by Stuart Warren Hill, the creator of Holo-Gauze & the CEO of Holotronica, who have been used for Eric Prydz’s’s Epic shows. Plenty more of their videos online,

One thing I’d been thinking about was what the sightlines would be like for the holograms. Looks like they could be a little worse for those at the end of the arena than the LED screen was on i+e. So just like i+e, those in seats down the sidelines of the arena will experience great visuals, while those seated at the area ends will miss out on some of it. People near the catwalk (close to the front-of-stage & the e-stage) may also struggle to see the holograms also. The further the Holo-Gauze mesh screen is away from the top of the main LED screen, the greater the feeling of depth between the holograms & any background visuals. But also, this means more people at arena ends will have poor views of the holograms. So a balancing act I’d say.

I’d agree that the waves in the Iris video aren’t a live hologram. It is a camera filter, a layer added in post production.

What is seen in the teaser video - images to the left of the screen (over the main stage) and to the right (over the e stage)... which would require either mesh or a cube or glass over those stages.

Could they conceivably do something like the fake Berlin Wall that came down during intermission, but that curtain is the holo-gauze? Conceivably, sure. But why would they spend the money needed to pull that off and use it only on intermission or before the show? That would be a crazy waste of this technology

The only thing they've spoken about was AR - and everything seen in the teaser images look a hell of a lot more like AR elements than they do 3D holograms.

I think we are splitting hairs on what we are labelling whatever technology the band is going to use. There are plenty of articles out there that file holographic imaging as being within the realm of AR. My suspicion is that the band simply describes what they are using as 'AR' to keep things kind of vague and to keep us all guessing what they'll do.

What is seen in the teaser video - images to the left of the screen (over the main stage) and to the right (over the e stage)... which would require either mesh or a cube or glass over those stages.

Could they conceivably do something like the fake Berlin Wall that came down during intermission, but that curtain is the holo-gauze? Conceivably, sure. But why would they spend the money needed to pull that off and use it only on intermission or before the show? That would be a crazy waste of this technology

The only thing they've spoken about was AR - and everything seen in the teaser images look a hell of a lot more like AR elements than they do 3D holograms.

Just looked at the teaser video for the first time in ages. Certainly a lot in there to take in. I'd forgotten some of the details.

I could see the Holo-Gauze holograms being used for "Blue Bono" in front of the main LED screen, & the images above the LED screen.

Conceivably they could use Holo-Gauze for the front of stage & e-stage images. For front of stage Holo-Gauze could hang from the front of stage (but if it wasn't removable it would be distracting for GA), or from the back of the stage, over the main stage (the image would be higher than it's shown). Could be cool to have Holo-Gauze hanging behind the stage, ala Elevation's LED curtain. The e-stage would be even trickier!

So I'd agree that is probably overkill, complicated & an added expense. I'd either guess that these images at the two stages are smartphone AR, or they are not in their true location.

There's definitely some creative licence that has been taken in the trailer. They've got Exit's Shadowman asking the crowd to "hold up your hands!". I don't see that happening (unfortunately). So for this video why not just plonk the hologram images on the main stage, above the screen & on the e-stage, all while the band plays Invisible. Not where they'll be seen during the show. I guess the average viewers aren't going to watch the video at quarter speed, pausing it the investigate interesting scenes.

As you say, not long now until we have answers :drool:

Last edited:
Just looked at the teaser video for the first time in ages. Certainly a lot in there to take in. I'd forgotten some of the details.

I could see the Holo-Gauze holograms being used for "Blue Bono" in front of the main LED screen, & the images above the LED screen.

Conceivably they could use Holo-Gauze for the front of stage & e-stage images. For front of stage Holo-Gauze could hang from the front of stage (but if it wasn't removable it would be distracting for GA), or from the back of the stage, over the main stage (the image would be higher than it's shown). Could be cool to have Holo-Gauze hanging behind the stage, ala Elevation's LED curtain. The e-stage would be even trickier!

So I'd agree that is probably overkill, complicated & an added expense. I'd either guess that these images at the two stages are smartphone AR, or they are not in their true location.

There's definitely some creative licence that has been taken in the trailer. They've got Exit's Shadowman asking the crowd to "hold up your hands!". I don't see that happening (unfortunately). So for this video why not just plonk the hologram images on the main stage, above the screen & on the e-stage, all while the band plays Invisible. Not where they'll be seen during the show. I guess the average viewers aren't going to watch the video at quarter speed, pausing it the investigate interesting scenes.

As you say, not long now until we have answers :drool:
:up:

:hmm: interesting.

https://instagram.com/p/BiH3BHFB7n5/

Shows Bono on top of the screen. A perfect time to use those images we see floating above the screen in the first trailer.

The plot thickens, or not. 6 days!
I get the feeling that the ramp and screen aren't necessarily connected now, and that the ramp can go to the top of the screen. We already saw images with Edge walking on the ramp and it had a railing along the edges, which certainly want there last time around

Haha, yeah we don’t want any dramas with Edge this time around :doh: Definitely don’t want him falling off the top of the screen!

Yeah, curious how they’ll get up there. Last time the stairs were used to enter the screen when it was raised up in the air. Maybe the stairs will also be used to get to the top of the screen, when the screen is lowered?

Ok, so what is it that we see at the end of this video? The sort of ring hanging above the bstage?
https://www.instagram.com/p/BiMOQ2DFZN6/?hl=de&taken-by=u2dadepressao_
It's probably a lighting rig... but I will give you that if you are correct that there will be more than just AR phone elements and there will be actual holograms, that there will need to be some sort of construction over the e stage, and this is some sort of construction over the e stage.

I will still hold that it makes zero sense to have people use their phones to see AR elements for two songs if they are going to use actual holograms for the rest of the show... alas

Yeah it does look like a lighting rig, but it is blue and we've already seen Blue Bono who loves Blue Bunny, so it may be part of the augmented waist line reality.

Back
Top Bottom