Augmented Reality?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I highly doubt we're seeing longer setlists. The writer probably just inferred that "Oh, no opener...must be longer sets!" without realizing that these guys are p lazy.

I don't think I'd call 20+ songs, 2+ hours and potentially 5-9 new songs "lazy." They're not exactly a shoegaze band either.

They even got into a healthy habit of revolving a few songs on the U.S. tour three years ago too, so I'd probably expect there's a chance of that again. But in these parts, the grand majority of us aren't even at two consecutive shows anyway. Most of us will probably just watch whatever song on YouTube for two minutes and already think, "Okay, that's great. But what about so-and-so?" That'll be the extent of a lot of it anyway.

Even if it's "longer" I don't think they'd go beyond 2 and a half hours, which is only 15-20 minutes longer than i&E, really.

I love live shows (obviously). But even I've noticed that ones approaching three hours are the ones that risk me zoning out a bit. I never quite get there, but anything between 2 or 3 hours is fine by me. Most shows don't even get over the two hour mark.

Last edited:
The lyrics will be projected across the crowd for Bono's benefit.

Come with me to a shoegaze gig and you'll take that back.

Small aside, what's your opinion of the big pink?

Also, I'm all for AR at a show. When bands have lots of money and can do something new, like when Coldplay started that whole light up radio wristband thing, I enjoy the live shows with a different mindset.

Well, now I am curious! :D

To name just one, A Place to Bury Strangers play one of the most intense, energetic live shows I've ever seen. (And loud. So very deliciously loud.)

Small aside, what's your opinion of the big pink?

Geez I haven't thought about them for ages. Their first album is chock-full of great songs from Crystal Visions through to Golden Pendulum; shame the last few songs don't maintain that quality, and the second album has never grabbed me. I saw them in 2010 and half of the show felt like I was seeing the next big thing. The other half was somewhat flat, and it seems the band never delivered on the promise they had then.

Just listening to Crystal Visions now for the first time in probably a couple of years. Thanks for reminding me, this is a fucking belter of 'gazy neo-psychedelia.

I love the big pink. No clue what happened. Disappeared off the face of the planet.

Yeah, I definitely would've thought that they'd have a third album in them. I didn't realise they put out an EP in 2016, though.

Loud does change the equation delightfully. I'll look into them!

Exploding Head is their definitive album.

Somewhat less abrasive in sound, but also purveyors of high-energy gigs, are Flyying Colours. Last year when I organised a big-arse line-up of Aussie shoegaze bands, I made a point of putting on Flyying Colours last because they're so loose live anyway (in the good way) that it wouldn't matter if they were drunk.

I love the big pink. No clue what happened. Disappeared off the face of the planet.

Just randomly looking at local concerts today after reading this thread (I’m in Athens, Georgia). April 21 Wolf Alice with opening band ....The Big Pink. Weird timing.

I did see The Big Pink open for A Place To Bury Strangers in Atlanta ten or so years ago. Good show.

Just randomly looking at local concerts today after reading this thread (I’m in Athens, Georgia). April 21 Wolf Alice with opening band ....The Big Pink. Weird timing.

I did see The Big Pink open for A Place To Bury Strangers in Atlanta ten or so years ago. Good show.

Hah! Wolf Alice put on a great live show, too.

APTBS/Big Pink would've been cool. Best I can claim is getting them within a month of each other in 2010. Though my best APTBS memory is when they played with Flyying Colours and Luna Ghost in 2015, and ended the set by jumping off the stage and doing an improvised two-song noise rave on the floor, with the setlist giving the song titles as "You're Not My Mate, Mate" and "That's Not a Song, This Is a Song".

Hah! Wolf Alice put on a great live show, too.

APTBS/Big Pink would've been cool. Best I can claim is getting them within a month of each other in 2010. Though my best APTBS memory is when they played with Flyying Colours and Luna Ghost in 2015, and ended the set by jumping off the stage and doing an improvised two-song noise rave on the floor, with the setlist giving the song titles as "You're Not My Mate, Mate" and "That's Not a Song, This Is a Song".

Nice. I didn’t know Big Pink at the time but thought they were great live. I’m planning on checking them out with Wolf Alice. Hopefully they are still as good.

As much anticipation for the rarities.... longer sets (not gonna get hopes up).... While Acrobat is usually the first to be brought up..... I wouldn't mind Heartland and/or Promenade.

Not sure why people are surprised by the longer sets comment. “Longer sets” = back to I&E show length. The Joshua Tree shows had an opening act and were shorter. Now we’re reverting to the previous setup.

Not sure why people are surprised by the longer sets comment. “Longer sets” = back to I&E show length. The Joshua Tree shows had an opening act and were shorter. Now we’re reverting to the previous setup.

i+e ended up at 25-26 songs a show (with the occasional 27-song shows). If that's where they end up, that's cool. If they end up on the higher end, awesome!

Looks like there may be some AR stuff at the show afterall. Just got this email from U2.com with the subject "Augment Your Reality"

Let's see how gimmicky it all ends up being!

Attachments

• u2ar.jpg
    u2ar.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 92
o55g0h.jpg

Here's what it looks like

Just downloaded the app and tried it; not impressed. My first thought was that I'll now have to look over a GA sea of douchebags who bring an ipad/giant cell phone to the show to get the 'AR experience'... This seems like a step backwards and if anything detracts from the show. :down:

Back
Top Bottom