ATYCLB 20th Anniversary Box Set

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
https://youtu.be/-sqzFl0B-Lc

https://youtu.be/wx3e5MI_n1w

Been looking for this on YouTube for years. The night I became a fan. Not long after all that you can’t leave behind came out.

It’s actually made me very emotional watching it. I was 14 nearly 15 at the time. I’d never seen anything like it in my life.

That performance of until the end of the world at the end of that broadcast is single handily the reason I have became the fan I have.

So glad it’s back on YouTube again

For some reason it hasn’t been on YouTube for years.

Until the end of the world is immense on that Brit awards show. Shame it cut off at the end. Wonder how Bono got back on the stage [emoji2]

Blew my mind as a 14 year old kid.

All that you can’t leave behind reissue goes in at number 27 on the U.K. album charts. Top 20 would have been a massive success, 27 is still very good for a reissue though I think

Number 15 on the physical album charts which doesn’t include streaming or downloads

Last edited:
9cybs9q.gif

Last edited:
U2HQ:

“people seem unhappy with our collection of previously available content and remixes in a $300 box. What can we do?”

“Let’s get Edge to unbox it on YouTube, that way everyone sees just how nice it looks. He can talk about putting the Boston show together from all the nights, as if we did it this year..”

“Don’t forget that “Always” is an early version of Beautiful Day. People will be stunned to find that out.”

“It didn’t work, they’re still not happy.”

“Starting a game of terrible song name puns has distracted them effectively in the past.”

“Is everyone ok with sex ones this time? Alright, logging into Interference...”

I see the big vinyl set is available on eBay for £149 or best offer. That's still way too expensive right? Convince me it is as I'm tempted to put an offer in for £125.

Album is £30 on its own
Live album - let's say another £30
B-Sides - £20

So £50 or so for everything else?

That might be the beer talking, but doesn't seem like too bad a deal?

The ATYCLB XTRACTS (ugh) from Sirius that's on their site is pretty enjoyable. I love hearing Adam's thoughts on things. Edge is kind of annoying though! He seems pretty, pretty pleased with himself. And it seems like he buys into the U2 Myth, oddly enough. When talking about In A Little While and Bono coming in hungover he says it was weird because "u2 were the band that doesn't go out." Maybe he was being sarcastic, but it seemed like he was agreeing with the perception of U2 as being good boys. Adam's response to Edge saying Bono came in hungover was priceless though: "Not our Bono, no..."

Then, when discussing When I Look At The World, Edge says that U2 don't play it live because they aren't the band who do dark and cynical. That's not true at all! Maybe he "went out" so much in the 90s that he forgot about the decade. Or maybe he's accepting the perception (or branding) of U2 as reality. IDK.

It's strange to hear him be so caught up in what U2 "are," and for it to be based in the public perception of the band. I wonder if that's a reason they've played it so safe on the last few albums. It would explain I'll Go Crazy. "U2 are the band that's uplifting! I'll go crazy if I don't record an uplifting song tonight...hey, I think I have an idea here!"

Then, when discussing When I Look At The World, Edge says that U2 don't play it live because they aren't the band who do dark and cynical.

Damn, it'd be one thing for him to look back at the very dark and very cynical stuff they've recorded over the years and say, "I/We would rather focus on the more uplifting material." But the way he said it is very revisionist. Very depressing.

I have to hope that there's some level of scripting happening with their remarks so - at least for right now - ATYCLB is spoken of in an airier tone than the rest of their catalogue. They change their website to reflect ATYCLB, why not how they (mis)remember their career?

Unsurprising. Over the past few years worth of interviews, Adam seems to be the only one with a realistic, cleareyed view of the band’s history and future opportunities.

I don't know when the revisionism started, but it seems like it was codified when they slapped remixes and new songs on the Best of 1990-2000 that made it reflect ATYCLB more than it did their 90s output. I thought it was just wanted to project to the public but it seems to reflect how at least one member thinks about the band.

Check out the empty seats:
View attachment 12719

One could argue that, artistically, they drew all the wrong lessons. (I do.)
But they haven’t played to half-empty houses in the 20 years & 6 tours since.

Last edited:
Think Popmart gets tarnished unfairly myself. Yes the beginning of the tour was a disaster and yes there were a hand full and that’s all it was a hand full of shows that didn’t sell out in America.But you look at the rest of the tour worldwide and it did ridiculously well.

People pick up on a couple of embarrassing shows ticket sale wise and tarnish the whole tour with it.

That’s all it was a hand full of shows all in America.

The pop album didn’t sell what they wanted it to yet it still sold more the oasis be here now. Oasis were massive at the time.

The whole era is just one massive over reaction in my opinion.

Check out the empty seats:
View attachment 12719

One could argue that, artistically, they drew all the wrong lessons. (I do.)
But they haven’t played to half-empty houses in the 20 years & 6 tours since.

It's worth noting that the Tampa show was sandwiched between Miami and Jacksonville, whereas on the Zoo TV Tampa show was the only Florida gig on that leg and was preceded by two arena shows in Miami and Lakeland (30 miles away from Tampa) six months earlier. The Popmart shows that did poorly (like Tampa) were probably victims of scheduling more than they indicate a lack of popularity.

You're right, though. They've certainly never played an empty house since then, even on 360, which was a massive tour behind an unpopular album. If Pop was a flop, then what was No Line?

Back
Top Bottom