Arthritis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
I found out today that I have arthritis.

This is good because I've had chronic problems in my foot for a year and it's nice to finally have an answer, but it's bad because I have a medical history of severe rheumatoid arthritis on BOTH sides of my family. My maternal grandma has it and since it got bad she's had all of her finger joints replaced twice, hip replacements, knee replacements, and most recently a steel rod inserted into her neck that limits the mobility of her head. My cousin on my dad's side was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis when she was about my age now (22). I think my paternal grandma also has arthritis, but not as severe (maybe not rheumatoid).

We thought maybe it was gout, but after reviewing a list of foods that can aggravate it, we see none of them really fit my diet at all. And given my family medical history.....

Bleh. I really hope this doesn't spread, or at least not soon. I honestly feel bad for my grandma every day and I know she feels bad for not being able to do so many of the things we used to do together. I remember when she would hold me on her lap and we'd go for a walk, and now she can't even button a button or step up a stair. Maybe by the time I'm her age, there will be a cure or better medications. I just wish there was some relief for her.

Sorry to hear that. I've heard that learning how to play guitar or piano can help fight arthritis in your fingers. Couldn't hurt, right? And then you could write songs about Phil and the new laptop. Everyone wins!....'cept maybe Phil.

UberBeaver said:
Sorry to hear that. I've heard that learning how to play guitar or piano can help fight arthritis in your fingers. Couldn't hurt, right? And then you could write songs about Phil and the new laptop. Everyone wins!....'cept maybe Phil.

This is true. I was diagnosed with juvenile arthritis when I was 14. My knees and fingers were hurting constantly and it took forever to get a diagnosis. Those stress balls (or whatever you call them) are also good for hands. Any sort of low impact exercise you can do for the affected joints is good.

Take very good care of it, Liesje. You've mentioned your family's history, so you've already seen how bad it can get, and I'm sure you've been told already that the worst can be delayed or in some cases, prevented.

Maybe I can learn to type with my toes in order to exercise the affected joints :hmm:

On the up side, this is the second doctor that's encouraged me to buy really nice, expensive shoes :D

My mom is still convinced I broke or had a stress fracture in my foot, even though the X-rays don't show one. We don't get how I can be fine one day, and have this severe pain the next and then it never goes away for a year. I guess the joint got to a point where it had had enough, rather than it building up to this slowly.

Last edited:
I teach an arthritis foundation exercise class at the senior center that I work at. A lot of it is very simple stretching exercises designed to help joint flexibility, prevent or slow worsening symptoms, and help improve range of motion.

http://www.arthritis.org/events/getinvolved/ProgramsServices/afep.asp

I think the class I teach is geared more toward seniors/people with severe arthritis (it would probably be helpful for your grandmothers if they are interested), but they say there are different exercise classes for people of different fitness levels.

That's cool that you do that! :up:

My grandma is really beyond any hope at this point. She's usually in a wheelchair and always in a neck brace (though she can waddled around) and she rarely leaves the house because riding in the car is so painful with the steel rod in her neck and open sores on her legs (other problem). Even if there was a cure found tomorrow, I'm not sure it could ever repair the damage :( Poor gran!

Liesje said:
Maybe I can learn to type with my toes in order to exercise the affected joints :hmm:

One of the exercises is actually "curling" your toes under, then raising them up (while your foot is flat on the floor). Or you could try picking up objects off the floor (towels, coins, etc.) with your toes.

All exercises should be done with a doctor or trained person's consultation though. Some exercises can do more harm than good if not done properly.

Re: Your grandma. Most of the exercises can be done while seated, but if she can't travel that's a problem though :(.

Liesje said:

On the up side, this is the second doctor that's encouraged me to buy really nice, expensive shoes :D

My mom is still convinced I broke or had a stress fracture in my foot, even though the X-rays don't show one. We don't get how I can be fine one day, and have this severe pain the next and then it never goes away for a year. I guess the joint got to a point where it had had enough, rather than it building up to this slowly.

:lol:

That would be something to see! I wish I had that excuse to buy expensive shoes. Maybe someday, but hopefully not.

My family and I all had a really hard time believing I could have arthritis at 14. So many people associate with something only "old people" get, including myself. It is almost easier to think of anything else it could possibly be.

Did your doctor recommend you take anything for it?

My Mom had arthritis and 2 hip replacements. And a few other things as she's aged. She never exercises, doesn't eat right, etc. So...

I know it's some comfort to have a diagnosis one way or the other. I just did as well, but not arthritis, though I have seen a rheumatolgist, dermatologist, and GI. Hopefully the doctor can recommend the best way to treat / live with this condition. And take the mutant, I mean martha's advice :wink:

Did the doctor diagnose if based on any blood/lab work, or just examination?

ylimeU2 said:

Did your doctor recommend you take anything for it?

No, since it's not RA yet, I can just take OTC painkillers if it gets bad. My previous doctor wanted to start cortisone injections, but I said no. It's actually been feeling a lot better since I got married, probably because I use Phil's car now and don't walk to work, school, the store, the mall, the bank, and my grandparents house like I used to every day. I can also put the cam boot back on if it gets bad like this past summer. We'll see how it goes now that we're volunteering to walk dogs for the Humane Society and I'm going to start doing it several times per week (my health insurance gives cash incentives for exercising a certain amount). I haven't worn jogging shoes since high school and when I put them on they feel like they're on the wrong feet. Right now, I can go for days without feeling anything and then have a day I wished I was in a wheelchair.

Lila64 said:

Did the doctor diagnose if based on any blood/lab work, or just examination?

Just examination. Again, it's not rheumatoid, not yet at least. My previous doctor tried everything, so this was really the only other explanation - chronic irritation and inflammation of the joint - and given my family history of RA, it makes sense.

The weird thing is I injured my other foot pretty bad when I was still doing gymnastics, and I don't have any residual pain or problems with that joint.

What did you finally find out about your problem?

Arthritis is an immune disease, which most people seem to be unaware of. Do you have a history of other immune disorders in your family?

I have arthritis in my jaw, because of TMJ. It's actually fine now, but I used to take Celebrex for it and it was very effective.

I thought RA and psoriasis were the autoimmune forms of arthritis. She said this was like osteoarthritis (I think?) - damage to the cartilage of the joint, sometimes swelling, constant inflammation, chronic pain - whatever the most common type is.

Besides many other health issues (breast cancer at an early age, heart attacks, and diabetes), the most common problem on both sides of the family is arthritis and RA. :grumpy:

Liesje said:
I thought RA and psoriasis were the autoimmune forms of arthritis. She said this was like osteoarthritis (I think?) - damage to the cartilage of the joint, sometimes swelling, constant inflammation, chronic pain - whatever the most common type is.

Depends on whom you ask. There are very strong indications that osteoarthritis is also immune-mediated (I mean, logically it makes sense given the inflammation and infliltration) and my sense is that it will be seen as immune-mediated within the next couple of decades since the research is pointing in that direction.

If you don't really need prescription meds at this point, that's very good news.

No prescriptions, thank God! I'm glad I passed on the cortisone, because at this point the pain has been manageable, and now I can tell what not to do when it starts to hurt. I still like to tumble from time to time, and it doesn't hurt :D

I'm on Enbrel...99% for my psoriasis which has nearly cleared; the other 1% battles the psoratic arthritis they found in my left knee several years ago during an scope job...I'm feeling wonderful !

I have been diagnosed with arthritis since 1989. At that time, they called it Palindromic Rhuematism because it moved around so much. I was in remission for 5 years on myochrosine (gold) shots but once you come out of remission on that, your only choice is methotrexate, which is a powerful drug and is also a form of chemotherapy. I have used both the pills and injections and I can tell you, I feel nauseous from both. Those combined with Celebrex work pretty effectively. I have never taken anything stronger than Tylenol products. I was on IV meds (remicade) for almost two years and was pain free until my health insurer determined that remicade was not a preferred drug and wanted to charge me $1000 every six weeks for the IV. I chose no. So I have been on just the methotrexate and celebrex since last August. I have had a terrible 6 weeks with extreme flare ups and have finally succumbed to pain meds for the first time. I am currently on a duragesic patch and they are finally authorizing Enbrel to replace the remicade.

Long story short, some days are good, most days I have pain somewhere in my body. The are now calling it Rhumatoid but it still travels alot, staying in the joint for about 24-48 hours at a time. Alot of people don't know this about me and are surprised at how I am able to function with the amount of pain I have.

Like others have said, it is an auto-immune disease. And it is a cousin to Psoriasis, which MR BAW has. We do have a cousin that was diagnosed with Juvenile RA and has had a knee replacement and hip replacement. So it does run in our family. If you want to know more, send me a pm.

Chin up!

Hope you are able to get your arthritis under control Lies :hug: One of my brother's has arthritis in his left hip and had to have a hip replacement in 2000. Remember him receiving cortisone shots when the pain would get bad.

I recently had a cortisone shot in the hip area for some inflammation I've been experiencing. It seems to have worked well, and the soreness/tenderness has subsided. But hopefully it's not something that will be regularly needed.

And my rheumatologist said that Remicade treatments are thousands of dollars, and hopefully I will not need this medication (IV) once all my diagnoses are in. He said Blue Cross sucks for coverage. Then again all insurance sucks, so :shrug: I still have more tests to go, but my problem is probably GI related...

Hey Lies :hug: I really don't have any expert advice to offer, I know nothing about Arthritis. But I did used to do water aerobics over the summer. I had the time of my life. I heard somewhere that it helps. I recommend! :up:

Lila64 said:
I recently had a cortisone shot in the hip area for some inflammation I've been experiencing. It seems to have worked well, and the soreness/tenderness has subsided. But hopefully it's not something that will be regularly needed.

And my rheumatologist said that Remicade treatments are thousands of dollars, and hopefully I will not need this medication (IV) once all my diagnoses are in. He said Blue Cross sucks for coverage. Then again all insurance sucks, so :shrug: I still have more tests to go, but my problem is probably GI related...

Without starting an argument, we're covered by Kaiser; through the years, AMAZINGLY WONDERFUL doesn't express how happy we are with them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom