Are U2 taking the Piss?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have been as big a fan of U2 as most people on this forum......albeit a silent fan.....until now.

All this RED campaigning by Bono seems to tie in 'too' nicely with the release of 'U2 by U2' and the upcoming U2:18. He should put his money where his mouth is and give his $age of U2:18 to project RED.

It's a worthy cause but with GAP's elevated prices, I'm starting to feel that we are being taken for a ride by Bono and his commercial mates at Gap......I'm sure Africa will benefit from all of this, but not as much as GAP and U2 will!

Before anyone gives me shit, please note that I remain a fan....albeit a sceptical one!

You sure you're a newbie to these boards?

;)

U2 don't get anything from the Gap merchandise.

It's possible the reason why only Bono is seen as these events is because if U2 show up, then it does look like a publcity stunt. The band support him, but they aren't involved the way he is, and maybe that's part of it.

Bono is a member of U2, but he is not U2.

U2 has had to put their recording schedules off so Bono can do his humanitarian activities. If Bono were to devote all his attention to what he's doing,that won't leave much room for U2. He either juggles both, or several activities, or becomes soley devoted to one.

U2 by U2 was released very closely to the date of their 30th anniversary as a band. Pure coincidence Bono would be doing what he's doing around the same time.

The greatest hits is also tied to their U2 by U2 book, which is tied to their 30th anniversary.

And there was an article maybe a year or so ago, stating U2 were donating a large sum of money from their tour earnings to charity.

U2 probably do "put their money where their mouths" are, but they do so secretly. It's a catch-22, if they disclose that they give, they look like braggarts, if they don't, they look like hypocrites.

Last edited:
Im sort of new !.....just forgot my username/password etc!

Anyway, I believe that U2 contribute their fair share but the GAP prices seem to be way over the top....I'm just thinking that GAP are benefiting more than Africa !

RJones26 said:
Im sort of new !.....just forgot my username/password etc!

Anyway, I believe that U2 contribute their fair share but the GAP prices seem to be way over the top....I'm just thinking that GAP are benefiting more than Africa !

Well, the point of (RED) is to establish a model where companies can be charitable AND profit. Also, the prices of the (RED) items at Gap aren't any more expensive than Gap clothes have been (which is too much for me).

I thought part of the new CD was going towards something? (Music Rising?)

Like thrillme said, the book came out at this time because of an anniversary. Also, (RED) is a Bono/Bobby Shriver thing, not really U2 so it shouldn't matter anyway.

I think this thread should be closed to lack of content or interest. Dude, do some research before posting. I am not giving you shite, and a U2 fan is not a skeptical one, either you ARE a fan or you're not.

Carek1230 said:
I am not giving you shite, and a U2 fan is not a skeptical one, either you ARE a fan or you're not.

Well, I don't know... I'd have to disagree with that. I consider myself a U2 fan (obviously, I'm posting on a U2 forum LOL), but there have been many times where I've been skeptical of the band, their actions, etc. I think you can be both. *shrug*

Carek1230 said:
I think this thread should be closed to lack of content

Can we apply that logic to PLEBA? :wink:

a U2 fan is not a skeptical one, either you ARE a fan or you're not.

Helloooo "no true Scotsman" fallacy.

Haha...you're either "for the war," or you're "against America!" :lmao:

rjbonovox :tsk:

The time and legging Bono has invested and all the speeches and meetings with heads of state is valued more than any money which he would donate. His wife as well and all the time it took them away from their home because they have had this "calling" to serve the under priviledged and poor in the world.

And by the way, he himself and his wife have donated millions to their causes.

May I ask what causes do you stand for?

This work with Africa and bono and his politics damages u2 more than it helps. Also i dont think Bono is pulling too many strings for this RED campaign and as far as im aware this RED laucnh was planned months in advanced.

Other than the jeans ($200? At the Gap? Please.), I think the prices I've seen for the Gap stuff fits in with what they usually charge for clothes.

:shrug:

I fully support the RED campaign and think it's a great idea.....I was just shocked when I found out that GAP RED jeans cost $190, compared to the usual $70 price tag. Now I don't know what the mark up is on these jeans, but I'd guess that GAP are doing OK out of this even when they give 50% to the Global Fund.

As for U2, I'm just disappointed that we're getting another Best of album, with songs that have already been released on a Best of.....with exception of Saints and Windows in the Sky.
I'd find it easier to accept were the release linked to project RED and I think an opportunity may have been missed. Die hard fans will buy the album anyway, because it's another U2 album. However, linking it to the RED campaign could have increased sales to the non-U2 fans, which in turn would lead to more album sales, more money for project RED, and maybe lead to some new U2 fans.......who would then go and buy JT, AB.

RJones26 said:

As for U2, I'm just disappointed that we're getting another Best of album, with songs that have already been released on a Best of.....with exception of Saints and Windows in the Sky.
I'd find it easier to accept were the release linked to project RED and I think an opportunity may have been missed. Die hard fans will buy the album anyway, because it's another U2 album. However, linking it to the RED campaign could have increased sales to the non-U2 fans, which in turn would lead to more album sales, more money for project RED, and maybe lead to some new U2 fans.......who would then go and buy JT, AB.

I'm confused. In your first post, you knock Bono/RED/U2 by saying that the RED campaign ties in "too nicely" to U2 By U2 & U2:18. Now you're saying you wish U2:18 tied into RED more closely. :scratch:

For complaints about the U2:18 album, see the Where The Album Has No Name forum. You'll find that complaints were many and loud, but most people have since gotten over it.

As a side note, it's pretty much general (and obvious, IMO) opinion that U2:18 is not actually geared towards hardcore U2 fans....but instead designed for the new U2 fans....who would then go buy the rest of the albums.

Utoo said:

I'm confused. In your first post, you knock Bono/RED/U2 by saying that the RED campaign ties in "too nicely" to U2 By U2 & U2:18. Now you're saying you wish U2:18 tied into RED more closely. :scratch:

For complaints about the U2:18 album, see the Where The Album Has No Name forum. You'll find that complaints were many and loud, but most people have since gotten over it.

As a side note, it's pretty much general (and obvious, IMO) opinion that U2:18 is not actually geared towards hardcore U2 fans....but instead designed for the new U2 fans....who would then go buy the rest of the albums.

What he said, and the fact that U2 has to fulfill a contractual obligation to release three Best Ofs.

Its called supply and demand. If the supply remains to be there at the price that they are charging the cost of the item to the consumer will go down. Very simple.

RJones26 said:
It's a worthy cause but with GAP's elevated prices, I'm starting to feel that we are being taken for a ride by Bono and his commercial mates at Gap......I'm sure Africa will benefit from all of this, but not as much as GAP and U2 will!

:hmm: I didn't get my letter forcing me to buy 200 dollar jeans. Did I just not get to the mailbox that day?

RJones26 said:

Before anyone gives me shit, please note that I remain a fan....albeit a sceptical one!

We can give you shit if we feel like it.

Because im too lazy to go looking and even to read this thread in full for the answer(at least im honest!), can someone tell me what the hell the 'Red' campaign is?!

I do support the cause and I did buy a Gap product red shirt, BUT the standard gray gap shirt is 15 bucks. The (red) gray gap shirt costs 28.

Sooooo half of it does go to africa, but in order for gap's profits to remain the same they just raised the price of the shirt.....ehhh.

It is clever though conisdering the average American will not write a plain old check for $10 towards the same cause.

mkdominatr said:
I do support the cause and I did buy a Gap product red shirt, BUT the standard gray gap shirt is 15 bucks. The (red) gray gap shirt costs 28.

It's probably made more cheaply with cheaper materials. I got to Gap a lot, rarely buy things unless they are on clearance, and I don't think I've ever seen women's clothes for $15 unless it was like a cami on the clearance rack.

Liesje said:

It's probably made more cheaply with cheaper materials. I got to Gap a lot, rarely buy things unless they are on clearance, and I don't think I've ever seen women's clothes for $15 unless it was like a cami on the clearance rack.

Yes but I am speaking of the plain T's. I think if you buy 2 they are cheaper, maybe 12, but just one of them runs about $17.

Utoo said:
Haha...you're either "for the war," or you're "against America!" :lmao:

rjbonovox :tsk:

Hey don't blame me for this thread! As for the thread starter, he has a point. Any Rock Star thats gets heavily involved with charideeee leaves themselves open for critisicm. I think Bono's more involved with his charideeeeeee work than he is the music nowadays. For proof just check the latest goddamn awful Saints song release and the awful Mary J Bilge crap earlier in the year. Theres now't wrong with being heavily involved with charidee work when your a Rock Star but it leaves a bit of a sour taste when the Rocker in question is reportedly spending 8 million on a new Yacht and in the next breath spouting on about everyone not giving enough to Africa. Maybe the 8 million he's spending on his new yacht could have gone to Africa! Now this is going to get some vitriolic responses, no doubt!:wink:

mkdominatr said:
Yes but I am speaking of the plain T's. I think if you buy 2 they are cheaper, maybe 12, but just one of them runs about $17.

Yeah, well, like I said, a plain T has a simple design and no pattern with words. The (RED) shirts have words on them and are made at special factories using special dyes and materials. Why would they be the same price?

If it bothers you that much, but the plain T and donate $28 to charity :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom