are popcorn unhealthy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't stand the smell of popcorn. I had a coworker who would make it every day until one day I yelled at her because the stench was awful. I told her to start eating it at home. :uhoh:

And I am so glad I don't eat movie popcorn anymore. omg. :yikes:

Doozer61 said:

Since our church does not have a building, we meet on Sunday's at our local AMC Theater. Can you imagine smelling this every Sunday without being able to eat it. :grumpy:

I think God wants it this way. It's like the ultimate test to resist a glorious temptation :wink:

Well, I actually study nutrition and the answer is yes and no. Popcorn by itself is actually whole grain---translation=more healthy than a piece of supposed 'wheat' bread. If cooked with unsaturated oils (olive, soybean, peanut, canola, etc.) it would actually be quite a healthy snack that tends to fill people up without a ton of calories. There is even a microwave kind called smart balance that is quite healthy. Bottom line, popcorn is quite healthy, the kinds of fat you put on it determines it. And contrary to previous belief, real butter is still a saturated fat and is not good for you. Also, some good oils (such as olive) can actually help out your health. Check out the book 'The Culprit and the Cure' by Steve Aldana. It may just change your life.
-G

angelordevil said:
*raises greasy hand*

I've actually gone back once for the free refill that comes with a large popcorn here. I forget what the movie was, but it must have really been something. I had no idea it was so awful and filled with deadly fats. Dear lord! :(

The Smart Pop stuff is the best home version.
did you get it with the butter? :yuck:

i never get "butter" on my popcorn at the movies. at home though, when i make popcorn myself, i do use actual real butter.

i wonder what the fat is like on a large popcorn without the warm cooking oil :hmm:

U2Girl1978 said:
I can't stand the smell of popcorn. I had a coworker who would make it every day until one day I yelled at her because the stench was awful. I told her to start eating it at home. :uhoh:

:lol: Good think you don't work with me then! 10am every single day, the telecom engineer is making is microwave popcorn. I love it so it's taken me four years to not get cravings every morning.

I think I'm going to make some popcorn (my favorite is the regular Act II sprinkled with Lawry's seasoning salt).

runbyu1 said:
Well, I actually study nutrition and the answer is yes and no. Popcorn by itself is actually whole grain---translation=more healthy than a piece of supposed 'wheat' bread. If cooked with unsaturated oils (olive, soybean, peanut, canola, etc.) it would actually be quite a healthy snack that tends to fill people up without a ton of calories. There is even a microwave kind called smart balance that is quite healthy. Bottom line, popcorn is quite healthy, the kinds of fat you put on it determines it. And contrary to previous belief, real butter is still a saturated fat and is not good for you. Also, some good oils (such as olive) can actually help out your health. Check out the book 'The Culprit and the Cure' by Steve Aldana. It may just change your life.
-G

:up:

Finally, an Interference nutritionist! We were waiting for you to turnip...ahh...turn up. Like you mention, I think it's the saturated stuff that kills.

KhanadaRhodes said:

i wonder what the fat is like on a large popcorn without the warm cooking oil :hmm:

God, I'll bet it's like a huge and disgusting globule. :( It would be an interesting test to let the bag cool and examine it later. My weekend plans are rapidly coming together! :hyper:

I never put butter on at the movies, either. Maybe that saved me. I used to when I was younger, but then I watched the workers pop it one day with all the greasy oil...they just poured it into the machine like it was a car. At that point, I started wondering if grease on top of grease was a good thing. Instead of butter, I'll usually put the spice stuff on...but it doesn't stick very well to the popcorn without butter. :angry:

angelordevil said:
I never put butter on at the movies, either. Maybe that saved me. I used to when I was younger, but then I watched the workers pop it one day with all the greasy oil...they just poured it into the machine like it was a car. At that point, I started wondering if grease on top of grease was a good thing. Instead of butter, I'll usually put the spice stuff on...but it doesn't stick very well to the popcorn without butter. :angry:
i don't either. all i can say is, i hope to god the 126g of fat large popcorn is when it's got the butter and salt on it, like the average person gets. if that's how much fat it's got just as is, then i'm never getting popcorn at the movies again.

jiffy pop used to be my jank!!!! but then when i went to visit my parents, my mom had bought my dad a new toy, the air popper. so he makes it for me when i visit.

i can't make it on my own. last time i tried i got some in my eyes. :(

Popcorn with butter and Old Bay seasoning.....or popcorn with shredded cheese on top...Yum! (Probably healthier than a Big Mac -- but not by much)

Chizip said:

vba3656.jpg

:lmao:

well, truth is: no. i cannot stand eating popcorn at the movies or the smell of them in the cinema. they're so greasy :yuck:

i prefer my own low-fat popcorn, and as i see above, they're healthy :drool:

Chizip said:
AMC's large sized popcorn...

23670.gif

moral of the story, don't eat movie theater popcorn
No, the moral of the story is be sure to get lots of "butter flavored topping" on your movie theater popcorn so the saturated fat is 944% of your daily requirements.

Sicy said:

Mine is OLD though.. my parents had it before me but it still works great.

Oh, I remember the popper my parents used to have! As a kid, that was one of my favorite treats. :love: One time when I was pretty young, I touched the popper and burned my hand. It was a typical kid thing, I thought the light on the side looked pretty, so I decided to touch it. :der: :laugh: Then I was scared of it. :lol: :uhoh:

Chizip said:
AMC's large sized popcorn...

23670.gif

moral of the story, don't eat movie theater popcorn

That's horrendous!!

I had a look in the kilojoule counter book I've got, and apparently movie popcorn here has 28g of fat and 541 calories in a large bucket - I wonder what's the difference between your popcorn and ours.

I dont feel too bad, my hubby and i usually share a medium popcorn when we go to the movies.

I don't have an air-popper (wish I did), but sometimes I will cook it the old fashioned way with a little bit of vegetable oil in a heavy saucepan over the gas stove. Shake it, shake it, shake it! :dance:

:corn:

Seasoned salt is definitely the way to go. :drool:

mandy1973 said:

That's horrendous!!

I had a look in the kilojoule counter book I've got, and apparently movie popcorn here has 28g of fat and 541 calories in a large bucket - I wonder what's the difference between your popcorn and ours.

I dont feel too bad, my hubby and i usually share a medium popcorn when we go to the movies.

Maybe it's the SIZE that's different -- not the popcorn. the US "large" is probably everyone else's "super family size".

BonosBaby12 said:
When I went to the movies not too long ago they had a "mega" size. Apparently the large,which is a pretty good size,just wasn't big enough!

I don't go out to movies now, but years ago -- I'm talking 25, maybe more -- a few of us went out to a little neighborhood movie theatre. We decided to get their largest size popcorn and share it as we figured it would cost less that way. When we placed out order at the concession counter the girl asked "Are you sure you want that size?" and pointed to the largest damned popcorn bucket I have ever seen. It had to have held close to five gallons! :ohmy:

We ended up ordering a bucket a couple of sizes down.

In Spain, every Sunday families would walk around the city centre then go to the cinema. The only place that was open was a chain of sweet shops that were all over the city. Every Sunday the smell the popcorn just wafted out into the streets and everyone was crammed inside buying their bag of popcorn for the movies. Popcorn might taste like boke but this stuff smelt delicious. :drool:

Back
Top Bottom