April 9, HP Pavilion in San Jose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, I just got home. This is my third show on this tour; saw SD1, LA2 in seats, and was about 3 people from the stage left elipse, on the floor. Great position, right in front of the spotlight area where Bono spends a lot of his time, and behind the drum solo area of LPOE.

First, I have to say I am EXHAUSTED! The whole experience was amazing, the line incredibly organized, nothing but polite, efficient people. You line up and get wrist bands for the GA line. I heard there were about 100 people lined up at 8:00 am when they start giving wrist bands. We arrived at 3:00 and were 316 in line. Met lots of wonderful fans, the crowd up front was great.

The show started about 9:05, after the Arcade Fire song on the PA. The place was packed, the floor was solid even before KOL. They opened with COBL. It seemed like the show started off a little slow, and took a while to pick up speed, but came to life during vertigo and elevation. The Ocean sounds gorgeous. Was it just me, or did Bono's voice seem a little tired/raspy tonight? There was also some weird stuff happening with the sound. Too much bass on the floor, too much echo in the stadium. Compared to the sound in LA, this was definitely inferior. I think some of the venues are very challenging. I did hear it sounded better straight back from the stage.

Bono's story about the Pope and his Fly glasses was even more entertaining tonight. Bono seemed very comfortable and was joking a lot all night, even when they forgot what they were doing after mysterious ways. He brought a girl named Ali up on stage, she wasn't shy at all and loved dancing with Bono and running around the Oval. The most touching moment for me was during SYCMIOYO when Bono took off his glasses and sang "don't leave me here alone..." I started weeping. It was just so intense to be so close, see the light reflecting off of his pale blue eyes and just feel his intensity. Of course, Streets brought down the house, by that time the place is jumping, people are going nuts. One breaks my heart every time and Yahweh accoustic is perfect to bring it down a little. I think everyone was so overwhelmed by then and it was so silent that Bono felt he had to ask everyone if they were ok.

Being so close to the stage was incredibly intense, the messages and content of the show are quite heavy. Amidst the hope and love there are incredibly serious political, social and religious messages. I feel emotionally spent. It was so interesting to compare being far away and experiencing an amazing, hard-rocking good time and being up front where you just know how much work goes into it. The Edge, Larry and Adam rock so hard, and Bono is such a showman, his charisma just flows. But when you see the sweat dripping, and muscles working, and the complexity in Bono's eyes, you know he just gives it his all.

I'm sorry if this is a stream-of-consiousness nightmare to read, but I think I had been standing for 5 hours on nothing but a couple sips of beer and a stick of gum. And I think I need to collapse now. Love and Peace....

great review! it's true, i never realized how hard the band works during a show till i was right up close... they never stop trying! :up:

Now that was a review of the intensity level of U2's performance for sure! Thanks for talking about what really makes a show.

U2 San Jose April 9, 2005

First off I haven’t seen U2 since California Hall in May of 1981. Why I waited so long I don’t know, but last nights performance at the HP Pavilion was stunning. I’m recovering from the 60’s and a big fan of the traditional Rock bands (Stones, Who, Led Zep etc.) and U2 are definitely the LAST in that tradition.

The opening of COBL was moving, as I was 25 feet from Bono when he appeared with his arms in the air, massive beaded lighting spectacle behind him and it was quite overwhelming. My emotions began to run wild, my eyes watered up as my euphoric recall kicks back to memories of other great moments of other rock bands I have witnessed in my 40 years of attending rock concerts. This was another I added to my list.

The fact that Bono remembered and mentioned local radio KSJO (that no longer exists) and playing in a basketball hall here gives great tribute to himself as an unpretentious rock star that he eluded to even farther in his rap about the Pope (Intro of Miracle Drug) I loved the fly sunglasses and crooked cross story. Bono has a spiritual persona that crosses the boundaries so to speak.

The little snippets tonight were great tributes to others that stood before them. I was particularly moved by way No Regrets was tagged into the end of SYCMIOYO. The core of their set rocked, as you can see by the set list.

The sound was varied in this cavernous arena. I recently saw Bowie and The Stones here and they struggled with the sound too. It was at best in the back of the floor where it is mixed. They played as a band with still very much to prove. Larry’s drumming is so rock steady and Adam is a solid bottom end, they compliment each other well. Edge is the most unique sounding guitarist in decades and I grew up listening to Hendrix. Bono’s was voice was tattered at times when he was speaking, yet he hit most of the high notes effortlessly.

The reason I made a decision to buy GA seats by a band I haven’t seen in 24 years was the quality of songs on their last two CD’s. They showed a maturity that only comes with age. I remember that gig at California Hall as a band full of piss and vinegar. The band I witnessed last night was full of humility and grace. Like all fine art that’s only achieved in time and growth. U2 fans are like other dedicated followers and I’m a rock and roll fan that won’t get caught in sensitivity awareness but this was a spiritual experience. Yea it’s only rock and rock and I liked it. I’ll see you in Oakland in November.....

I was 20 rows up in section 128. even right there, so close to the stage, the show felt a bit distant. I wanted to like the show so much, as I am a massive fan of both u2 and what willie williams/catherine owens have done for the live shows...but this show felt a bit soft.

yes, there were high points, and I'm sure I'll remember some moments for some time, but all told, the place didn't reach that insane level that, say, the second oakland show reached back in 2001. above where I was standing, many in my section sat throught most of the show.

of note: three marina-types dancing to "running to stand still" five rows below me, as if it were some sexy, sultry ballad...

and looking around to see how many people were singing along to "40" in my section.... not many at all.

I realize it's not 1983, and u2 knows that better than anyone...they can't please everyone, they can only work their asses off to make a great show out of an amazing songbook.

that said, the show and the setlist is not at all as powerful as it can be... I am sure (and hope) the entire thing will evolve by the time they return in 7 months.

one piece of advice to those who are still looking for tickets...sitting 6-o'clock from the stage might even be better than being close-up on the sides...the video beads/curtains, as much as they provide 360-degrees of fun, are best viewed square-on. if that makes sense.

April 9, San Jose: "We're getting there!"

Ladies and gentlemen, U2 has arrived. Last night's show was excellent, by U2 standards. It wasn't *quite* as amazing as the 4/19/01 and 4/20/01 shows there, but Bono said those performances might have been the best of his career, so it was a high hurdle to clear. Still, the boys sounded so much better than opening night in San Diego.

I didn't get scanned into the ellipse, so I ended up on the rail, first row outside the ellipse, just to the right of the tip. It was an almost perfect vantage point. During COBL, Bono reached down, took the disposable camera from the girl standing next to me (during the "flashbulbs, purple irises" section), and after thinking of taking a picture of our row, instead took one of himself :)

He pulled a girl named Ali on stage to dance for Mysterious Ways ("Ali? I think we've met before," he quipped), whom I'd noticed earlier in the day in the GA line. She had just missed "meeting Bono" during the afternoon, when he came out to sign autographs. She sure got lucky later though!

Adam played great, and did a big lap around the heart during "Streets." He wasn't wearing his red-collared shirt tonight, and instead went with a black long-sleeve thing with a white patch on the chest, which was shaped like a maple leaf/spider/pot leaf. Funky lookin' threads from a funky guy.

Larry was having a blast. Bono yelled at him to sing during Elevation, and he was grinning from ear to ear, belting out the lyrics as he drummed.

Edge had a black T-shirt, with gold lame patterns on the front, and his trademark skull cap. He's still trying to get the crowd cheerleading during "Zoo Station" in the same way that I saw in San Diego (he stops playing guitar and pumps his fist, yelling "It's alright, It's alright, It's alright," as if trying to start a new sing-along with the crowd, but unfortunately it hasn't quite caught on yet to the level it should.)

Bono threw in lots of "Northern California" and "San Jose" references into his lyrics, gave a tender speech about the Pope (same one he did in Anaheim 2, I think it was) before Miracle Drug, and looked like he was having a blast. The only time we got a peek of Napoleonic Bono was when, during RTSS, the crowd began to clap in unison, slowly. "Don't clap!" Bono interrupted, but then caught himself, as if realizing he was coming on a bit strong, and added "but you can sing for me... hallelujah, hall-ay..." and then the crowd followed his cue.

"One" is just amazing on this tour. The extended ending is epic, and tonight Bono asked everyone to break out their cell phones, and hold them like lighters. It really did look cool. We were asked to text in to support the One campaign, and during the break before the final encore, after "Thank you for texting" flashed over the screen, a list of names rolled by. Did anyone see their own names? I'm curious as how the technology behind this works, and whether the names last night were of people from tonight's show, or earlier concerts. Anyway, it looked awesome.

During "One," a grid of black-and-white photos, of fans' faces, flashed on the screens. Then the camera panned back, and all the individual photos became small pixels to a larger picture: that of Bono's face, as he sang live.

Near the end of the show, Bono said, "Well, we're getting there!" as if to acknowledge that the quality of the show, while not yet perfect, has climbed to the next level.

Overall, I'd rate it a 10/10 on the personal enjoyment level, since my GA spot was so close (RIGHT in front of Larry drumming at the tip of the heart during LAPOE!), and 8.9/10 on a band performance level.

Thank you U2 for making my 13th show a truly memorable one.

Okay, gotta go get ready for tonight's concert.... :wink:

Last edited:
Great review! :up:

Sounds like a great show...I am really excited about Bono's bantering with fans/being playful/pulling fans up onstage a lot on this tour. I'm really excited to see how he's gonna "personalize" the show when they come here! Also glad to hear Larry's in such a good mood, I would die to see Larry smiling and singing along to Elevation. I also read somewhere that Bono's been ad-libbing lyrics to Zoo Station depending on fans he sees in the audience! I'm so excited! :dance::hyper:

THanks again for the review!

I sat in sec. 114 and it was standing room only the entire show. Much tighter musically than the 2 san diego and anaheim shows we've had a chance to listen to, this band seems to have got this setlist down. Funniest line by Bono, "I was able to survive wearing a Mullet in the 80's, and I can survive bad dancing now!" Also just as I was commenting to my wife that people clapping to the beat in RTSS was kinda wierd for that song, bono promptly told the crowd to stop clapping and just sing the chorus with him. All in all, what a band, what a show...

What number were you going in LyricalDrug? Were you in the u2.com line?
How was the floor on the outside of the ellipse? Were people pushing?

EPandAmerica said:
What number were you going in LyricalDrug? Were you in the u2.com line?
How was the floor on the outside of the ellipse? Were people pushing?

I was the 80th person in line, and there were 2 lines: U2.com fans, and regular GAs. So, I was about 40th or so in the regular GA line (I had used my pre-sale code for SD GAs.)

I was in the heart 5 times last tour, and haven't made it in yet this time around. The heart is great because you can go and come as you please, but if you're outside it, you can't leave and expect to get your spot back. The San Jose crowd was very friendly, with no pushing or anything. It was close quarters, but nothing crazy. I did see a couple girls faint, though, and they had to get passed over the rail by security.

Here's a tip: if you're outside the heart and want to hold your spot, be VERY careful about what you drink. You don't want to have to run to the bathroom during the show. BUT, make sure you're not dehydrated either. I'd advise bringing a small water bottle, to sip from.

VertigoGal said:
I also read somewhere that Bono's been ad-libbing lyrics to Zoo Station depending on fans he sees in the audience! I'm so excited! :dance::hyper:

He did last night -- a bunch of girls were wearing those straw cowboy hats off to Adam's side of the ellipse ramp. Bono was marching down the ramp to Zoo Station and sang "I'm ready . . . ready for your hat"! :lol: He grabbed one, put it on, and then did some kind of a horse riding act. It was hilarious! :happy:

sounds like they are back to having so much fun, i noticed on the last tour they never really did stuff like this,

Great reviews!!!
I ended up on the front rail outside the ellipse, and it was SUCH an absolutely amazing spot!!! I had been inside the heart but never outside the ellipse..but it was honestly a dream. After the lights go down we saw Bono coming down the area between the ellipse and the outer rail, and then the show opened with him right in front of us!! Incredible! The confetti was so awesome too!!!
After reading all the stories about the pushing/shoving outside the ellipse, I was blown away at how wonderful our experience was. I thank everyone behind us for being so courteous, I never felt any pushing whatsoever.
I am still on cloud 9 myself, have no voice, and have a headache still today from not drinking anything all day so I wouldnt have to leave to use the restroom! Definitely drained me, but so worth it to have such an amazing night.
When we were outside waiting for the band to arrive, the Vertigo plane flew right over us!! This was also an incredible moment!!!
Also the show itself was SO much better than SD1, not because of our spot in the arena, but the band was having fun, they were so into it!! Bono was very chatty, went on and on with his Pope story which I loved! He also gave Adam a kiss on the cheek when they were both in front of us!!! Awesome. So many amazing moments!!!
It was so well organized, I was very impressed with the venue and GA line!

Are there any pics floating around?

What a show. This tour is about to hit the next plateau, folks. I saw U2 3 times on the Elevation Tour, and I feel that this show clearly surpassed 2 of those, and closely wins out over the 3rd show.

I had a completely different experience than you, dlb. But then when I saw the Elevation show from seats I also felt a lot less involved than when I was on the floor. I was also a couple people from the rail on the outside of the ellipse. The energy was really, really good and I felt U2 did a great job of working the crowd and feeding off their energy. Bono really looked like he was having a blast, and I definitely saw some sparks of The Fly/Macphisto during songs like Love and Peace and Zoo Station.

I think one indication of how the band is feeling is how much Bono talks, and he was in a pretty talkative mood - making short little quips in between songs, a nice extended speech about the Pope and about the White House/One campaign, laughing at himself after Mysterious Ways, and just in general hamming it up. Edge was working the crowd more than I ever saw during Elevation - More than just the brief eye contact, he was really trying to connect to everyone out there and get everyone going - which was great.

Actually, if there's one overriding thing I noticed, it's that it seems like each of U2's members are more involved and into these shows than what I saw on the Elevation Tour (not that they weren't into those). Larry providing backup vocals and generally being more visible, Adam even doing a little ad-lib hamming and walking around the ellipse, Edge trying to work the crowd more, and Bono being Bono. :D

A brief rundown:
City of Blinding Lights - an excellent opener, I must say - though it took my ears a while to adjust to the volume. Started out a little slow but built really well and that chorus just begs for an arena full of fans to belt it back. :D

Vertigo - I have to admit that before this concert I was beginning to tire of it. But it is a monster live! Super-high energy and just a really fun romp.

Elevation - I was surprised to hear it start out - I thought it worked really well - great energy and a massive singalong.

The Electric Co - flat out ROCKED, and it was nice to see the whole arena get into it (I'm sure it's a song a lot of people hadn't heard before).

The Ocean - it takes a lot of guts to play a slow non-single song off your first album, but I thought it was a good mellow moment that was received well. I personally would've preferred An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart, but hey, I'm not the one making the decisions. :)

New Year's Day - incredible - possibly even one of the best live versions I've heard of that song, and head and shoulders above the versions I'd heard at the Elevation shows. The band was just ON it - extremely tight and Bono sounded really, really good.

Beautiful Day - Great version - tight performance and another massive singalong.

Myrical Drug - I really appreciated Bono's speech on the pope - and the performance was really good - another fine performance from Bono. My brother looked at me during Edge's verse - he thought it was Bono but didn't see Bono singing. :D

Sometimes... - What can I say, watching Bono belt out "Can you hear me when I sing?" from only 15 feet away was INTENSE. It started off a little stiff, I thought, but man does it build!

Love And Peace/Sunday Bloody Sunday/Bullet - What an amazing trio. Love and Peace was amazing, and Bono really played it up to it's full potential. I felt Sunday Bloody Sunday sounded much better than on the previous tour (it always sounded a little lethargic, but it felt really powerful last night), and though I miss last tour's Bullet solo - it was neat to see Edge working it more and really adding some subtleties in there.

Running To Stand Still - wow. What a beautiful song. It was funny when Bono asked us to stop clapping and just sing, but he was right, it worked better without the clapping. Beautiful, beautiful moment.

Zoo Station - Edge and Bono really worked the crowd on this one. Bono spent most of his time out on the ellipse for this one - and it was really cool to see him revert into some of his Fly/Macphisto antics. Edge was really trying to pump up the crowd, and spent a good 1/2 minute right in front of me working the crowd.

The Fly - I prefer the Elevation version. I think this is one of those songs where Bono needs to be out prowling the audience, and it felt a little restrained having him pinned to the mic and guitar. Edge's solo was blazing, however.

Mysterious Ways - This song is just awesome live. Bono had a lot of fun, picked out a girl from the audience and "almost had a dancing accident." :D I wish I had a camera to capture the look of bewildered happiness on that girl's face as Bono led her up the ellipse. When he asked what her name was and she replied "Ali," Bono quipped "I knew I'd met you before!" :D

Pride - This song really surprised me. I honestly wished they'd left it off the setlist at the Elevation shows I saw - it just sounded tired. Not last night. It was fantastic! Full of energy - Bono really giving it his all, and the crowd was fully behind him.

Streets - The transition between Pride and Streets is a little awkward, I think, but Bono breathed some new life into Streets by tying it into his message about Africa. Streets was extremely tight - Bono even adding some African chants into it. Although, I have to say that I really miss the blast of lights at the beginning - it felt like something was missing when they didn't blast them.

One - what can I say. Wonderful performance.

All Because Of You - Great performance. A really fun song live and the crowd really got into it.

Yahweh - This is such a good arrangement for this song. It's just so pure in it's rendition and it's message. Beautifully done.

40 - The perfect way to end a U2 concert. I was glad to hear much of the audience continue singing "how long..." until the house lights came on.

As if it's not obvious - I am really, really impressed with last night's performance. A very strong performance and a great show - looks like U2 are really hitting a groove now. Now I've only got to wait another 7 months for them to come back to Oakland! :D

Last edited:
They were having fun last night. Definitely some acoustic problems in the HP Pavilion, but it didn't detract.

I wasn't looking forward that much to hearing Yahweh, as its my least favorite song on HTDAAB, and Pride is another one, that, like WOWY is overplayed and tired, to me.

To my amazement Yahweh and Pride were among the highlights of the show. The live arrangement of Yahweh is great...they should have recorded it that way.
And, Pride...it sounded as powerful last night as the FIRST time I ever heard it live which was at Chicago's Aragon Ballroom in 1984.

Other highlights: Running to Stand Still. I feel honored and lucky to be able to listen to the people that wrote this amazing song perform it in my presence. Great.
The Electric Co and The Ocean. Both sounded really fresh.
Love and Peace....another really powerful new song which probably makes Bullet redundant. Edge's classic guitar solo on New Year's Day ripped.

Flaws: Nothing terrible, just weak compared to the rest of the show:
Opening tune: I'm with the camp that thinks COBL is a weak opener. There are so many songs they could do to engage the audience immediately...this is not a bad song, just not an easy one to get into.

Don't Wish You Were Here category: Glad WOWY and SIAMYCGOO are taking a rest

Miss You: Wouldn't have minded Walk On and really think they should be adding Original of the Species to the set.

The unthinkable has happened. A smal miracle of sorts. My wife, Alli, was pulled up on stage to dance with Bono last night....while, this in and of itself, is ridiculous...the insane part is that the very last show we attended, in Sacramento 2001, she also was pulled up to dance with Bono.

The weirdest part is that we have followed U2 all over the U.S., and both times she was pulled up, it was in our hometown. We are both oringially from Sacramento, and now reside in the Bay Area. Simply bizarre.

It is truly a blessing when your single most passionate vice is matched with serendipity....I wish I could bring 50% of the passion Alli brings to U2 to anything in life. She was #4 in line at the San Jose show last night, came home at 2am (after attending the "tribute band" afterparty), only to be #14 in line at tonight's show. A bit crazy, but nothing short of admirable.

Thought I would post, since she is at the 2nd San Jose show right now, and I have just finished a 48 hour marathon with our 2 year old!!

"Where's mommy?", Aidan kept asking this weekend. "Well, Aidan, mommy is dreaming out loud and dancing with Bono."

Alli---I apologize for posting under your username....well, not really.

-Signed, Alli's husband

Went to the show last night, sat in 2nd row, upper deck and thought the show was good but not great. I was spoiled (as many others) from the elevation tour in 2001 where those shows were some of the best of the tour. Still had a great time but the acoustics were really bad, bass heavy and drowned out Bono's voice some of the time. If they fix that problem, should be a great 2nd show.

Also, I think Love and Peace is a better opener. Saw them in Anaheim II and the build up is much better, IMO.

Cant wait for Oakland in the fall

sonicbaker said:
They were having fun last night. Definitely some acoustic problems in the HP Pavilion, but it didn't detract.

I wasn't looking forward that much to hearing Yahweh, as its my least favorite song on HTDAAB, and Pride is another one, that, like WOWY is overplayed and tired, to me.

To my amazement Yahweh and Pride were among the highlights of the show. The live arrangement of Yahweh is great...they should have recorded it that way.
And, Pride...it sounded as powerful last night as the FIRST time I ever heard it live which was at Chicago's Aragon Ballroom in 1984.

Other highlights: Running to Stand Still. I feel honored and lucky to be able to listen to the people that wrote this amazing song perform it in my presence. Great.
The Electric Co and The Ocean. Both sounded really fresh.
Love and Peace....another really powerful new song which probably makes Bullet redundant. Edge's classic guitar solo on New Year's Day ripped.

Flaws: Nothing terrible, just weak compared to the rest of the show:
Opening tune: I'm with the camp that thinks COBL is a weak opener. There are so many songs they could do to engage the audience immediately...this is not a bad song, just not an easy one to get into.

Don't Wish You Were Here category: Glad WOWY and SIAMYCGOO are taking a rest

Miss You: Wouldn't have minded Walk On and really think they should be adding Original of the Species to the set.

Excellent review. I completely agree about Yahweh and Pride - especially Pride. It really blew me away that it sounded so fresh, especially considering how it was played last tour.

wow!! Thanks for all those great reviews and details. Thanks to everybody who takes the time to bring the rest of us all your wonderful experiences.

My wife, Alli, was pulled up on stage to dance with Bono last night....while, this in and of itself, is ridiculous...the insane part is that the very last show we attended, in Sacramento 2001, she also was pulled up to dance with Bono.
That's so amazing! Do you have pics to share I hope. Bono's like one of the family.

Last edited:
From the SJ Mercury:
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/entertainment/music/11362444.htm

U2's stage masterpiece

GROUP DAZZLES MUSICALLY, INSPIRES POLITICALLY AT SAN JOSE SHOW

By Brad Kava

Mercury News

The message at most concerts these days is simple: Buy our CDs, buy our T-shirts, make us rich and party on, dude.

U2's insistence to go beyond that is only one of the things that distinguishes the Irish band, which wouldn't need much of a campaign to be voted the best rock band in the world today.

During its 23-song, two-hour-show at San Jose's HP Pavilion Saturday night, the quartet not only was excellent musically, it was thought-provoking and politically stirring.

``You are used to hearing me pontificate,'' said singer Bono, born Paul Hewson 44 years ago, using a word that never has been more appropriate. ``No self-respecting rock star is missing a little bit of a pope complex.''

He used his bully pulpit to weave his political and economic concerns in with his music. No rock star today has become more of a thoughtful world figure (the bumper stickers endorsing him for president in 2008 weren't far off the mark).

Bono wasn't joking when he recalled how, during the band's 1992 ``Zooropa'' tour, he called the White House every night and no one there would take the calls. ``Now, they do,'' he said. ``And they are getting used to me.''

At one point he asked those in the audience to raise their cell phones, extending a tradition begun in the dark ages of the 1969 Woodstock festival, when 300,000 people raised lit matches and turned the audience into a sea of stars.

In San Jose, phones pulsed colorfully like the background of a ``Star Wars'' film. But Bono added some content to the awe-inspiring sight at this sold-out show, posting a Web site on giant screens where fans could send text messages to pledge support of his campaign to fight poverty, something he hopes will enlist at least a million contributors over the course of this American tour.

Bono said the ``defining moral issue of our time'' is ``not civil rights, but human rights. A fight for the right to live like a human.''

The singer, whose political awards one day may outnumber his musical ones, has been fighting to raise money for Third World countries and to suspend their debts to industrialized ones.

``When Dr. King said, `I have a dream,' he was talking about a dream big enough to fit the whole world,'' Bono said before launching an Africanized version of ``Where the Streets Have No Name.'' ``Not just the American dream or the European dream or the Asian dream or the African dream. It is a dream where everyone is created equal under the eyes of God.''

At the centerpiece of the band's ``Elevation'' tour in 2001 was a giant memorial listing the names of the victims of the Sept. 11 attack. It was moving and subtle and brought tears to a rock audience more used to the opposites of subtlety and sobriety.

This time U2 presented the text of a 1948 United Nations proclamation condemning torture and calling for equal rights around the world. It followed the dedication of ``Running to Stand Still'' to the ``brave men and women of the United States military,'' a moment that was not just subtle but ironic.

But what about the music, you are wondering. Sorry, I know you've never had to wade so far into a rock concert review to get to that.

For a decade, U2 has made excellence seem routine and did so again this time.

The band, which sold out two San Jose shows but has tickets remaining for a pair in Oakland in November, drew heavily from its last two albums, something few other stadium rock bands can do today. The show opened with a shimmering ``City of Blinding Lights,'' shifting up to ``Vertigo'' and into higher gear still with ``Elevation.''

Then, in a moment that had to give pause to San Joseans who last year lost KSJO-FM, their only hard-rock FM radio station, Bono introduced ``The Electric Co.,'' remembering how ``we felt so cool'' when we heard it on that station in 1980.

While no member of this quartet is considered a virtuoso at his instrument, the sum of these parts, having working together for 25 years, creates the rich textures of an orchestra. The stage set was again state-of-the-art, with a giant beaded curtain that also served as a screen for color and video.

The new songs, particularly a bass-whomping ``Love and Peace or Else,'' broke through the shells that encase the album versions.

The band's melodic influences often are well-camouflaged, but a clear snippet of the Beatles' ``Blackbird'' was thrown into ``Beautiful Day,'' which rang with some of the same chords, and ``When Johnny Comes Marching Home'' was spliced into ``Bullet the Blue Sky.''

Using a heart-shaped walkway that extended the stage into the audience, the band methodically covered the hits that broke it on U.S. radio, ``Sunday, Bloody Sunday'' and ``New Year's Day, '' the fan-favorite closer ``40,'' a heavy industrial ``The Fly'' and ``Mysterious Ways.'' The only miss of the night was adding a watered-down melody to the normally astringent ``Zoo Station.''

And that was like the work of a religious master painter who adds a slight mistake, just to show that nothing human is perfect.

With its mix of politics, spirituality, charisma and intense playing, this concert was simply a masterpiece.

:)

From SF Chronicle:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/04/11/DDG89C5FJI1.DTL

That Bono. One moment he's remembering the first time he heard his record on San Jose's KSJO, a radio station most of the people in the audience probably have forgotten, if they ever knew, and the next he's pulling a cross out of his pocket the pope gave him.

He set off digital cameras and cell phones by the dozens as he swept along the oval ramp that ran from the stage into the middle of the arena floor, wearing the same pair of trademark "Fly" sunglasses he said he gave the pope just before the pontiff bestowed the crucifix on the rock star.

When not hobnobbing with prelates and presidents, Bono does his best work onstage at the front of U2, the world famous Irish rock band that played Saturday at San Jose's HP Pavilion on the "Vertigo 2005" tour. He may bring his off-stage antics with him onstage -- he did mention that, if he phoned on this tour, he thought the White House would take his call this time -- but he earns his boasts.

In a richly emotional two-hour performance, Bono gave his audience an amazing ride. He poured it out, urged on to ever greater heights by the masterful three-piece band behind him. They turned every song into a towering epic. But that was not enough. He called to his audience to reach for the best parts of themselves. And, by the time it was over, he was directly addressing God and invoking Scripture.

With the dazzling technology of movable lighting tapestries hanging from above the musicians and the brilliant stagecraft of the runway through the middle of the house, effectively cutting the room down by half, U2 opened with "City of Blinding Lights," the first of seven songs from the new album, "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb."

While the band ran through its paces like the devastating three-man assault team they have become -- is there a guitarist on earth who does more signal processing than The Edge? -- Bono held down center stage, a man possessed, snatching cameras and taking his own picture before returning them, quoting songs as remote from one another as "Send in the Clowns" and "Young Americans," all the time leading his audience through the detailed emotional landscape of U2's music.

Some kind of terrible ambition lies behind U2's restless drive to stay at the top of the rock world for a quarter century. Where are the other popular bands from the summer of 1981 now? And would any of those groups dare take the stage today and play most of their new album, let alone make it work? But U2 has always refused to rest on laurels.

Those four musicians have continually followed their own path. When they make a mistake, it's a beaut -- like the time Bono spray-painted the Vaillancourt Fountain during a free noontime concert -- but, for the most part, their hearts have led them in an unerring direction.

"Vertigo 2005" tour may avoid some of the high polish and over-the-top theatrics of past efforts (and, in that way, follows up the no-frills approach of the 2001 "Elevation" tour). But, in other ways, the new show is also the band's most daring. When Bono asks everybody to hold up their cell phones and send a text message to his Web site devoted to fighting world hunger, he is turning the tables on himself. When he telephoned the previous President Bush from the stage of the "Zoo TV" tour, he was making a joke. This time he is bringing the audience into the act. That's not only a hugely different dynamic, but it also conveys an entirely different message.

By the time the band started playing the encores -- Bono got wrapped up dancing with a female volunteer from the audience and apparently forgot to leave the stage -- the group brought the audience to a critical mass. As the band slammed into "Where the Streets Have No Name" straight out of "Pride (In the Name of Love)," the entire place began to levitate. With The Edge strumming an acoustic guitar after the band finally left the stage for the obligatory curtain call, Bono pleaded with God, "Take these shoes and make them fit," on "Yahweh" from the new album. He ended the concert by singing the band's version of the 40th Psalm, "many will see and hear."

If it were not for the grand conceit of this man who introduced himself as "the insufferable little Jesus that I am," U2 would be just another rock band, albeit a very good one. But with Bono thinking he can take his audience somewhere better, and, if only for that moment, make the world a better place, a U2 concert becomes something entirely different.

Article Snippet from San Jose 1 Review. Opinions Wanted!

Snipped from a review by Jim Harrington from "Inside Bay Area."

The evening took a turn for the worse with the new album's saccharine "Miracle Drug," which features perhaps the corniest U2 lyric ever recorded, "Freedom has a scent / Like the top of a newborn baby's head."

Another low point came when the band played the soft "Running to Stand Still" from 1987's "The Joshua Tree" and the singer chastised the crowd for clapping along to the beat. "Don't clap," he scolded, "but you can sing." He won't lose the egomaniac reputation by exhibiting that type of control-freak attitude.

But, really, we don't want him to lose it. A large part of Bono's charm comes from his larger-than-life-and-still-growing persona. It's that image that helps makes anthems like "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and "Pride (In the Name of Love)" feel so darn poignant, heartfelt and urgent in concert.

Bono still does some preaching from the stage. Fortunately, he's picking topics that won't spawn much debate or cause division in a crowd. He's currently stumping for basic human rights issues, which, at least theoretically, is about as controversial as a pro-puppy stance.

The band stumbled a bit at the end, notably by speeding up the great ballad "One," but it was hardly enough to detract from enjoying such solidly performed favorites as "Mysterious Ways" and "Where the Streets Have No Name."

The band finally quit for the night after playing its traditional closer, "40." Fans left the building both raving about what the band included in the set list and bemoaning what it left off.

Significant exclusions included "Bad," "Two Hearts Beat as One," "With or Without You" and, really, too many others to mention.

Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom