Apple - U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm tired of you people complaining. Just stop it already OK? If there's one kind of person I can't stand it's someone who just keeps complaining. Just whine whine whine over this little Ipod thing. I don't wanna hear it anymore! Just stop ok? It's getting you nowhere. You just love to ramble on and on and on about how U2 are selling out and I'm sick and tired of it I tell you. It's really starting to get on my nerves how much negativity is going on between you people. I'm just glad I'm not negative like everyone else in here.

Last edited:
U2Soar said:
Looking for some info:

Can an Ipod be easily plugged into one’s car lighter, be programmed, and play through the car speakers? Yes. You can either get what's called an iTrip (not recommended) or get one of those cassette type players that you can plug into the headphone jack and play on your car's tape player.

Can an Ipod be easily plugged into one’s PC (besides a Mac), be programmed, and played through the computer speakers? Yes.

Can an Ipod be easily plugged into one’s stereo receiver, be programmed, and played through the stereo speakers? Yes. You need one of those >------ type connectors. one side you plug into the headphone jack, and the other side (two plugins) you connect into your receiver.

Are Itunes CD quality or just mp3 quality? They're good quality, not CD quality but pretty good. I have good headphones and the sound quality is definitely 90% + as good as CD.

If the answer is yes to all 4 then it looks like we have a portable U2 collection with excellent sound. Sounds cool to me! Though it will be expensive. $350 U.S. for an Ipod and $50 off of the U2 Itunes Box Set which will be…….? $200 U.S.?

P.S. Let’s say you damage your Ipod player with the U2 Itunes Box Set in it, would it have been possible to have at least “back-uped” the U2 Itunes Box Set on to something / somewhere / somehow? Yes - leave the songs on your computer. You download songs onto your computer and then upload them to your iPod.

teebee said:

Exaggerate much?

Well, I'm a reasonable man. Get off my case. It's my (informed)opinion that U2 is turning into the 90s era Stones slowly but surely. Musically, maybe not, but as a band-cum-corporate behemoth, absolutely. I've been paying close attention to this band since 1988. Believe me, I know all about their intent to take over the world.

For some reason, the music always superceded that for me.

I worry that this new album won't. I am not throwing this worry around lightly. I listen to the new U2 music in the context of their old music, what's currently turning peoples' heads these days, and what as of late I've personally really enjoyed.

From what I've heard in shitty clips, etc, I am expecting another overproduced hodgepodge of U2 songs, some of which are outstanding, most of which are ultimately disposable. I'll be the first one to admit I'm wrong, when I'm wrong.

Thankfully there are dozens of other bands out there worth listening to. If U2's best days are behind them, then I applaud them for what they've done.

I said I was sorry. And what does the quality of the new album have to do with an apple/u2 thread? I'm also curious to see if the band has played it safe or moved on to what truly interests them. But my beef was with those that didn't notice U2 has been a band-cum-corporate behemoth for years and now think the band has shot them in the gut with this apple sponsorship. Honestly I think the internet just makes it easier to see every little biz thing going down.

I'm also glad you were able to discern the quality of the new album before you heard it. I wish I had that kind of ability.

Once again, I admit my words were harsh. I am sorry. Let's move on...

I think we really need to look at it from the bands point of view. The new album will probably be on the net anyways prior to its release. So to counter the illegal downloads, they are offering fans and non fans the opportunity to get two things for the price of very little. An IPOD and the new album along with unreleased tracks and all their songs. If you really think about it, the regular 20GB IPOD is about $300 bucks.They in turn are probably NOT going to take in the remaining amount but possibly if they are lucky HALF of it.

In terms of sell out, this is something they have endured since they started. Many punk bands threw bottles at them and hated them cus they weren't really acting like a punk band - sell out. As they progressed, some Irish disliked the band for incorporating politics into their music and NOT staying true to rock ala Sunday Bloody Sunday- sellout. In the late 80's their embracement to gospel and soul had many calling U2 sellouts for not being original and selling out to American music - sell out. In the 90's they embraced dance grooves and industrial music prompting some bands to call them....lets see whats that word - sell out. On comes POP and and their bigger is better attitude of incorporating K-mart and McDonalds into their whol POP MART TOUR - What did people say? You got it.

So what does it all mean? That they are STILL the biggest, baddest mofo's in the world who can do whatever they want without losing that many fans.

the artdirector has spoken.

By the way, the interview that just aired made it clear that this is NOT a sponsorship, but a partnership. "No money exchanged hands", as Bono said.

Thanks Teebee for info! Then this U2 Ipod thing sounds exciting to me. Now we'll just have to wait for the price of the U2 Itunes Box Set.

U2Soar said:
Thanks Teebee for info! Then this U2 Ipod thing sounds exciting to me. Now we'll just have to wait for the price of the U2 Itunes Box Set.

$150

artdirector said:
So what does it all mean? That they are STILL the biggest, baddest mofo's in the world who can do whatever they want without losing that many fans.

Amen!!!

UnforgettableLemon said:
If you don't like it; don't buy it. :)

Some people would rather complain about it and how it has affronted them personally.

I just purchased a Sony harddrive audio player. the nwhd1. I'm very happy with it! Don't go and buy an ipod just because U2 is supporting it. Make sure it is the player that you want. There are many other great players out there.

boosterjuice said:
I just purchased a Sony harddrive audio player. the nwhd1. I'm very happy with it! Don't go and buy an ipod just because U2 is supporting it. Make sure it is the player that you want. There are many other great players out there.

Agreed, but what is the difference btwn the Sony player and an ipod?

Yes, because Edge will take his gun, bought with his money they didn't get from Apple, and knock on everyone's door and shoot them if they don't buy it cuz then they're not real U2 fans :rolleyes:

All I'm saying is that we shouldn't let any of what U2 the business entity does get in the way of the music. It's up to the fans to enjoy the music for what it is. U2 is only about iPods and all that if that's what we focus on. It's really just tangential to the band's existence. There catalogue exists either way, they'll put on great shows either way, and no one is being forced to buy the ipod or the digital box set. I don't have the money, but if I did, I'd buy it. I'm not hurt either way. I still have and enjoy all the albums, and I will, as planned, go ahead and buy the album because it is about the MUSIC. Judge the art, not the artist. Don't let this get in the way of good music. Like I said; if you don't like it, don't buy it. But don't dismiss the band because they've made a smart business move. The only thing that would ever cause me to change my views on the band is if one of them was convicted of rape or murder, or maybe if their music REALLY started to suck.

artdirector said:

Amen!!!

Back to i-tunes....

Honestly, even without the coupon, that works out to .33 cents a song for the entire 400 songs. That's dirt cheap. You can get the songs cheaper than ever before. Someone tell me the band is ripping people off with this.

calling the apple store in my area to see when the new IPOD will arrive...

They said this Friday!!

So new album will be available by this friday.

artdirector

tkramer said:

Amen!!!

Back to i-tunes....

Honestly, even without the coupon, that works out to .33 cents a song for the entire 400 songs. That's dirt cheap. You can get the songs cheaper than ever before. Someone tell me the band is ripping people off with this.

Depends. If you already have all the albums like many of us do, you're just paying for something you already own. I'm interested in seeing what the extra songs are, but I'm guess we have most of those as well.

Now if you're someone who doesn't have all the albums already, it might be worth it to you.

artdirector said:

They said this Friday!!

artdirector

The album will not be available Friday. The digital box set does not come out until late November.

artdirector said:

They said this Friday!!

artdirector

I thought the press release said end of Nov. ???

artdirector said:

They said this Friday!!

artdirector

You sure they understood what you were talking about? Unless you specifically said "U2 iPod", they might have thought you were asking when a new shipment of regular iPods was coming in.

bsp77 said:

Agreed, but what is the difference btwn the Sony player and an ipod?

The Sony is WAY smaller and has 30hr battery life. It plays back in ATRAC format so if you have a huge mp3 collection, it will take a long time to load it. But on the flip side, ATRAC compression allows for as much songs as the ipod 40gig.

For those interested Apple also added some new countries to their Itunes store:

"Additionally, the iTunes Music Store opened its doors to a large number of new customers and now covers the US, Germany, France, the UK, Austria, Belgium, Finland, Greece, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Portugal, and Spain, with the EU stores offering songs at .99 Euros each. These countries represent the entire collection of EU countries that are adopting the new Euro currency, with the notable exception of Ireland."

Foxxern said:
If you already have all the albums like many of us do, you're just paying for something you already own.

I think some people are missing the point of this whole U2 ipod/itunes deal. It is NOT about what you already own. It is about convenience. There is a certain degree of freedom in moving around with the entire U2 collection in the palm of your hand as opposed to moving the shelves of U2 cds you own. This really has nothing to do with new U2 songs and everthing to do with how you wish to enjoy U2 songs.

They have had many people calling in requesting the NEW U2 IPOD. THE NEW U2 IPOD comes with the new album doesn't it?

Roland of Gilead said:

I think some people are missing the point of this whole U2 ipod/itunes deal. It is NOT about what you already own. It is about convenience. There is a certain degree of freedom in moving around with the entire U2 collection in the palm of your hand as opposed to moving the shelves of U2 cds you own. This really has nothing to do with new U2 songs and everthing to do with how you wish to enjoy U2 songs.

Yes, but you can just burn the songs onto your computer and transfer them to the ipod. I am all for buying the ipod (I don't have one already) but not the digital box set, unless I really can't live without the unreleased stuff.

artdirector said:
They have had many people calling in requesting the NEW U2 IPOD. THE NEW U2 IPOD comes with the new album doesn't it?

Sorry, it doesn't.

Back
Top Bottom