Anyone notice the guitar riff to NLOTH (the song)...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you're talking about picking patterns ... I guess I sort of see both. Other than that, this seems like a lot of grasping for straws.

I have to tab it out for you now? We're in music class now? You have got to be kidding me. I think you argue on here for arguments sake. Anyone with an ear can hear the riff.

I was trying to see if you actually knew anything about music, because if you did and you tabbed it out you would find it's different. Just go look up some of the existing tabs...

It's just makes your "it's exactly the same", "anyone with an ear can hear it", bullshit ridiculous. So if anyone is talking for the sake of talking it's you.

I think some are hearing a similar strumming pattern and that's what they are considering a "riff"...

That is a major thing nagging me about this album. Too many songs remind me of other artists or other U2 songs. I've never felt that way about any of their other songs. Why this album?
It's driving me nuts. I WANT to LOVE this album but I can't.

just admit it Iskra, you love it!!!!!! say it, say it!!!!:heart:

I was trying to see if you actually knew anything about music, because if you did and you tabbed it out you would find it's different. Just go look up some of the existing tabs...

It's just makes your "it's exactly the same", "anyone with an ear can hear it", bullshit ridiculous. So if anyone is talking for the sake of talking it's you.

I think some are hearing a similar strumming pattern and that's what they are considering a "riff"...

Oh omnipotent one! Oh high and mighty one! Forgive me for disagreeing with what your highness said. For I am but a mere mortal who must bow down to you.

Seriously, man or woman, all you ever do on here is reply to people's posts asking them to "prove" themselves and their opinions with science and every other damn thing under the sun to you. I don't have to prove my opinion or anything at all to you. I listened to NLOTH for the first time, objectively, without reading anything about it. I think the damn guitar in the song beginning at 1:14 sounds exactly like the main guitar one hears throughout the Fly. I don't care if he's playing different chords or in different keys. There are plenty of ways you can play the same song on a guitar. In my opinion it sounds exactly like the Fly and ruins the song for me. If you disagree with that, that's fine, but don't come on here demanding that I either write music or that my opinion or what I hear can't possibly be right.

Oh omnipotent one! Oh high and mighty one! Forgive me for disagreeing with what your highness said. For I am but a mere mortal who must bow down to you.

Seriously, man or woman, all you ever do on here is reply to people's posts asking them to "prove" themselves and their opinions with science and every other damn thing under the sun to you. I don't have to prove my opinion or anything at all to you. I listened to NLOTH for the first time, objectively, without reading anything about it. I think the damn guitar in the song beginning at 1:14 sounds exactly like the main guitar one hears throughout the Fly. I don't care if he's playing different chords or in different keys. There are plenty of ways you can play the same song on a guitar. In my opinion it sounds exactly like the Fly and ruins the song for me. If you disagree with that, that's fine, but don't come on here demanding that I either write music or that my opinion or what I hear can't possibly be right.

Wow, you have some issues...

Well there is no use in continuing this debate. There is the subjective and the objective when it comes to music.

Talking about how good, powerful, or innovative a song is would fall under OPINION.

Talking about the key of the song or how a riff is exactly the same as another riff falls under tangibles and FACTS.

This discussion is useless as long as you continue to confuse the two...

Oh what the heck I don't play these games but how about Stand Up Comedy and Holy Joe seems like has the same riff
Stand Up Comedy 2:26-2:47:love:
Holy Joe 2:36 257

Cheers Steve

It DOES sound a lot like The Fly main riff, even my girlfriend who is not a big U2 fan at all noticed that the first time she listened to the song, without me telling anything to her. I still like that song a lot, but you just have to admit it, it is basically the same riff.

No one bitched when the bass line from Zooropa sounded like a slowed down version of the fly. Guess its in fashion these days

nar, this is bullshit. its similar, but definetly not the same.

BUT holy fucking shit, i can hear that they stole parts of Electrical Storm, Exit, and Alex decends into hell for a bottle of milk for White as Snow!!!! :wink:

oh and they also stole boots for the begining bit of fez, dontcha reckon? seriously, that "let me in the sound" part sounds identical to the part it boots! :wink:

First of all to the OP, Ultraviolet's riff is 4 different chords, higher up on the scale.
NLOTH is the 2nd lowest E on the guitar, and played as single notes.
There is certainly a difference in where and how you play them because they are most defintely different riffs altogether.

On the verses of NLOTH, the chords are Emaj and G#min

The Fly riff is in Emaj as well, these are where the parts are nearly identical.

The Fly (something like)
A---7-7---7-7---7-5-
E-0-----0-----0------

It's 9 notes in Emajor (he plays variations live of this basic idea)

NLOTH is almost the exact same thing, except, I don't beleive he hits the Low E.
It sounds more like (once again, the A string) 7-7-7--7-7--7--7-7-5-
which is 8 notes

So not the exact same but nearly identical.
And my tabbing is surely not perfect, but why anyone couldn't hear this with there naked ear is beyond me.

The person that reviewed NLOTH for Pitchfork said the beginning of Unknown Caller sounded similar to Walk On...:hmm:

He's playing the high G and D up there (two notes).
It's similar but in my opinion, it takes very little imagination to draw those lines together, as if any particular song were evocative of any other song just because of similar notes. I think he plays that for a lot of the G (major chord) stuff. So you could probably find it elsewhere and the tone is, of course, very similar. Given what happens just after that, it's an F and a D (which might be a D-minor change in the song, I can't remember), that's certainly a bit different. Sounds to me like nitpickers, doing uneccesarry nitpicking.

The NLOTH/FLy thing is quite stunning. The tempos, the rhythm pattern.
He's also got some kind of wacky wah on the riff (at the end) of NLOTH riff and it changes completely after 8 beats, so they aren't perfect matches but the first part of his NLOTH riff is very similar.

I'd even make a sound file if I thought it was worth it but it's too obvious to me, to even waste time doing so.

I hear Lady With The Spinning Head meets Holy Joe on this song, actually.

I think the damn guitar in the song beginning at 1:14 sounds exactly like the main guitar one hears throughout the Fly. I don't care if he's playing different chords or in different keys.

:huh:

ummm...ok? You don't care if he is playing different chords? That's fucking hilarious :lol:

That is a major thing nagging me about this album. Too many songs remind me of other artists or other U2 songs. I've never felt that way about any of their other songs. Why this album?
It's driving me nuts. I WANT to LOVE this album but I can't.

It's been a problem over the last decade, but it's clearly getting worse. The first U2 song I noticed using an exact melody or part from another artist's song was 'Please'. The vocal melody is identical to 'When Doves Cry'. Last time around, 'Vertigo' cribbed its chorus melody from 'You Keep Me Hanging On' by The Supremes.

And this time you have all the shit on 'GOYB'. The chorus for 'Stand Up Comedy' is the same as 'Ain't No Mountain High Enough'. But, the most egregious lift is the opening hook of 'Crazy Tonight'. It is identical not only to 'Faithfully' by Journey, but also Tina Turner's 'Simply The Best'. (As a result, I have a hard time listening to that song and not seeing Ricky Gervais with a backwards baseball cap on, dancing like an idiot in front of a bunch of stunned seminar attendees on 'The Office'.)

But, most of all, I really hate hearing Edge repeat himself. He phoned this album in, big time, cannibalizing riffs and sounds he's already used many times before and applying them in completely conventional and predictable ways. You used to be able to count on being wowed by whatever he came up with for a new album, but the last three have been huge disappointments for me on that front. He's just lazy, now.

It's been a problem over the last decade, but it's clearly getting worse. The first U2 song I noticed using an exact melody or part from another artist's song was 'Please'. The vocal melody is identical to 'When Doves Cry'. Last time around, 'Vertigo' cribbed its chorus melody from 'You Keep Me Hanging On' by The Supremes.

And this time you have all the shit on 'GOYB'. The chorus for 'Stand Up Comedy' is the same as 'Ain't No Mountain High Enough'. But, the most egregious lift is the opening hook of 'Crazy Tonight'. It is identical not only to 'Faithfully' by Journey, but also Tina Turner's 'Simply The Best'. (As a result, I have a hard time listening to that song and not seeing Ricky Gervais with a backwards baseball cap on, dancing like an idiot in front of a bunch of stunned seminar attendees on 'The Office'.)

But, most of all, I really hate hearing Edge repeat himself. He phoned this album in, big time, cannibalizing riffs and sounds he's already used many times before and applying them in completely conventional and predictable ways. You used to be able to count on being wowed by whatever he came up with for a new album, but the last three have been huge disappointments for me on that front. He's just lazy, now.

Right, now I get it. Not only are you a troll, but you are also high :up:

I only actually know half the songs you mention, but of the ones that I know, NONE of them bear a slight resemblence to the U2 songs you are claiming.

With regards to the NLOTH riff being similar to the fly, it is mildly similar. mildly at best.

For a start it is in E, where the fly is in A (I think). At least the riff is played around the A barre chord structure.

Secondly, the fly riff utilises notes on both the E and A strrings

A----7--7----7-7-------7---5------------------------------

E-5--------5--------5---------------------------------------

NLOTH (not sure what note it satrts on, but even if it were the same key as the fly would be something like this:

A-------------------------------------------------------------

E---5-5-5-x-5-5--x-5--3-----------------------------------

That is just from memory, but i've never really tried to work it out.

Wow, you have a very active imagination IndyShade...

My favorite is the When Doves Cry/ Please and the Supremes/ Vertigo...:lol:

Classic.

The problem with all of these is you're hearing a guitar tone that reminds you of(as in the case of Faithfully), or you're hearing a similar singing rhythm(Doves, I'm only guessing for that's the only thing I can come up with), etc...

But that's not the same as identical melody or riff...

You don't have to know music to enjoy but if you're going to make comments regarding riffs and melodies you should know what a riff or melody is...

Wow, you have a very active imagination IndyShade...

My favorite is the When Doves Cry/ Please and the Supremes/ Vertigo...:lol:

Classic.

The problem with all of these is you're hearing a guitar tone that reminds you of(as in the case of Faithfully), or you're hearing a similar singing rhythm(Doves, I'm only guessing for that's the only thing I can come up with), etc...

But that's not the same as identical melody or riff...

You don't have to know music to enjoy but if you're going to make comments regarding riffs and melodies you should know what a riff or melody is...

Doesn't it say something when person after person catches the same similarities? I guess everyone is stupid and are out of their minds eh?

For all we know, maybe the Edge isn't consciously doing it. The point though is, there are obvious similarities on some songs.

Doesn't it say something when person after person catches the same similarities? I guess everyone is stupid and are out of their minds eh?

For all we know, maybe the Edge isn't consciously doing it. The point though is, there are obvious similarities on some songs.

Ain't No Mountain High Enough has NO similarity to Stand Up. none. Neither does Simply the Best and Crazy Tonight.

These are laughable. While yes, people are entitled to hear similarities in things, and sometimes songs remind of things when they really shouldn't, but to say they are direct lifts and go on an all out assault is rediculous

I'm sorry who else heard When Doves Cry, Aint No Mountain High Enough, or Simply the Best?

I didn't see those posts.

People can point out all the similarites they want, but most of you are pointing out the fact that songs are in the same key or may have a similar rhythm and you're calling in an "identical" riff or melody.

I'm sorry who else heard When Doves Cry, Aint No Mountain High Enough, or Simply the Best?

I didn't see those posts.

People can point out all the similarites they want, but most of you are pointing out the fact that songs are in the same key or may have a similar rhythm and you're calling in an "identical" riff or melody.

1,000,000,000,000,000 x :up:

What the fuck is it with people here feeling like U2 'owe' them something.

If they want to put out an album of Revolver covers, and call them their own, I don't give a shit.

They have GIVEN us 33 years of music. They have more money than they ever need, and DON'T OWE US A FUCKING THING!!!!

If you don't like the music, don't buy it, and please don't hassel us with your inane posts about how disappointed you are that Vertigo sounds like baa-baa fucking black sheep!

Wow, you have some issues...

Well there is no use in continuing this debate. There is the subjective and the objective when it comes to music.

Talking about how good, powerful, or innovative a song is would fall under OPINION.

Talking about the key of the song or how a riff is exactly the same as another riff falls under tangibles and FACTS.

This discussion is useless as long as you continue to confuse the two...

And it's factual that most of the same notes are played in NLOTH's riff. Which would lead one to believe that it's got a similar sound, wouldn't?

I think it's mostly a picking pattern thing more than anything, but I can absolutely see the legitimacy of hearing the same idea here. So, insulting him for being correct is not useful.

I do think it's insane that the similarities "ruin" the song. This is a very different song from The Fly.

And it's factual that most of the same notes are played in NLOTH's riff. Which would lead one to believe that it's got a similar sound, wouldn't?

I think it's mostly a picking pattern thing more than anything, but I can absolutely see the legitimacy of hearing the same idea here. So, insulting him for being correct is not useful.

I do think it's insane that the similarities "ruin" the song. This is a very different song from The Fly.

Insulting him for being correct? But the riff is not an identical riff like this poster kept saying over and over, and then later he revealed he didn't even know what a riff was by saying "I don't care if he's playing different chords or if it's in a different key".

I was just trying to clear up the difference between the objective and subjective aspects of music, which he refused to acknowledge.

I can understand how people are hearing similarities, it's in the same key and very similar picking rhythm like you said, but to keep harping on about it being identical, stealing from themselves, ruining the song is just ridiculous...

If someone came on here and said "I think it sounds similiar to the Fly" I would have probably ignored the post.

It's a blatant rip off of the Fly. It's absurd actually.

you can't "blatantly rip off" your own work.

THAT'S absurd.

There are millions of examples in music and any art form for that matter, of artists sampling or borrowing from their own previous work. I don't see a problem with it....if it works. I think it does in this particular case.

Shit, some musicians have made an entire career of putting out the same shit album after album.

No, it could mean that a large number of people could be mistaken.

A hypothesis is not valid just because many people seem to think the same way.

If we really want to get to the bottom of this then lets compare apples to apples, IOW guitar clip to guitar clip and see if its true.

Back
Top Bottom