Anyone actually like Grace?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And, you know, Summer Rain definitely should've been on the album ahead of Grace, Peace on Earth, and In a Little While.

Wow.

It's always necessary to remember in forums as well as in life that we all have likes and dislikes -- especially when it comes to music. But that sentence floors me.

Everyone I know that has voiced an opinion on ATYCLB at all, even casual U2 fans, have all loved In A Little While, and I am one of them.

Summer Rain is ok, but as a fit on the album I say no. It's definitely B side material.

Grace, to me, is appropriate as a closer for that album. The song is good for what it is and I've not seen another suggestion on this thread that I would like better.

Ground Beneath Her Feet is a good song but isn't a fit for that album. Just like HMTMKMKM didn't have a home -- a fit -- on a U2 album and was best released as a single.

The songs that go on a great album have to be part of an ensemble I think Grace fits that mold.

Anyway, to each his/her own and life goes on . . .

Here's the White As Snow thing I was talking about incase anyone didn't know. This is what U2 took the melody from:

I like Grace -- not at first but eventually it took. I always like the more overtly "God" songs, even with the sometime lyrical clunkers. Even love White as Snow - beautiful song, borrowed though it may be. *ducks for cover*! :lol:

I love Grace. So much so we chose it as our daughter’s middle name in part to the many places we hear it not just in U2’s music but many bands. Example ‘Saving Grace’ by Tom Petty. It’s also a thought that changed the world. I love what Bono does lyrically with the different uses of the word in language and in action. Adam has a great sound in this track too. I see this as a song that lets you walk away from the album feeling extremely calm after the storm.

Last edited:
:censored:TRIGGER WARNING:censored:

Australian server connected via VPN.

Axver, it's a musical journey, you dumb c*nt!

Disconnect VPN.

I was waiting for someone to do this. :lol:

Wow.

It's always necessary to remember in forums as well as in life that we all have likes and dislikes -- especially when it comes to music. But that sentence floors me.

Everyone I know that has voiced an opinion on ATYCLB at all, even casual U2 fans, have all loved In A Little While, and I am one of them.

Hahaha you clearly weren't on this forum or U2 Twitter for the 360 Tour.

*notices signup date*

Yep, checks out. If you like the song that much, I recommend you don't go back to find out just how much shit it got when it kept sticking around in the tour set, to the point it's still a punchline today, like Vertigo x2.

I like Grace -- not at first but eventually it took. I always like the more overtly "God" songs, even with the sometime lyrical clunkers. Even love White as Snow - beautiful song, borrowed though it may be. *ducks for cover*! :lol:

I love White As Snow more than I can describe. Though I admittedly also have a fairly high tolerance for more Christian-y U2 songs.

I literally cannot understand how it elicits such visceral negative responses. Is it because it's the last song on the album for some? (It's never been for those of us in Australia.) I don't get it. I listen to it as just a slow, sweet, gentle, relaxing tune that has a lovely guitar line, some great vocals. If you just take it for what it is, it's really nice. It doesn't have to be held up in the same category as U2's biggest songs.

I literally cannot understand how it elicits such visceral negative responses.

I feel the exact opposite way. I started this thread thinking more people would agree with me, but turns out many people do like it, which I can't see why, even with people's reasons given, but hey each to their own.

But I stick by my guns - I still can't listen to this song without feeling bored shitless.

Last edited:
I literally cannot understand how it elicits such visceral negative responses. Is it because it's the last song on the album for some? (It's never been for those of us in Australia.) I don't get it. I listen to it as just a slow, sweet, gentle, relaxing tune that has a lovely guitar line, some great vocals. If you just take it for what it is, it's really nice. It doesn't have to be held up in the same category as U2's biggest songs.

Have you read the lyrics.

Have you read the lyrics.

I choose to ignore many of Bono's lyrics, and just treat his voice as another instrument. Really makes it better for me, and helps me gloss over lines like "Heavy as a truck", "Little Old Lady", "Happened A Boy", etc.

However, for me it doesn't get any worse than "God is love, and love is evolution's very best day". That's a bridge too far for me... can't listen to that lyric, can't listen to that song!

The lyrics are a bit trite but hardly as bad as many of the other lyrics he's written this century.

I can understand boredom... but surely you just don't listen to it and you get on with your life, not go out of your way to listen to and then get furious at its very existence. :shrug:

I can understand boredom... but surely you just don't listen to it and you get on with your life, not go out of your way to listen to and then get furious at its very existence. :shrug:

By that logic, almost everyone on this site is guilty of that, not just me.

Furious? I'm not furious. Curious more like, curious if people actually like the song, and it looks like yes, they do.

I choose to ignore many of Bono's lyrics, and just treat his voice as another instrument. Really makes it better for me, and helps me gloss over lines like "Heavy as a truck", "Little Old Lady", "Happened A Boy", etc.

This only goes so far. The "little old lady" line, for instance, is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard in a song, so it's impossible to ignore. Some of the sillier lines on Pop - Miami notwithstanding - are easier to ignore, especially as the music and creative vision is superior.

The lyrics are a bit trite but hardly as bad as many of the other lyrics he's written this century.

Nah.

I agree with you about the song's sound. I can't loathe it fully because it's so laidback and unobtrusive. But "Grace, it's a name for a girl/it's also a thought that changed the world"? Fuck off. That's right up there in the 2000s/10s Bono Hall of Shame.

*notices signup date*

Yep, checks out. If you like the song that much, I recommend you don't go back to find out just how much shit it got when it kept sticking around in the tour set, to the point it's still a punchline today, like Vertigo x2.

I'm not certain what my sign-up date has to do with my opinion of the song Grace.

Nor do I get the point of bringing up what this forum thought of the song back in the day.

Both absurdly irrelevant.

Besides, all I said was that the song was ok for a closer, that I have no objection to it and that I think it's a more appropriate closer than any of the other songs offered in suggestion.

If you're that squeamish about dissenting opinion one wonders why you bother to exchange thoughts and ideas on a forum.

Nah.

I agree with you about the song's sound. I can't loathe it fully because it's so laidback and unobtrusive. But "Grace, it's a name for a girl/it's also a thought that changed the world"? Fuck off. That's right up there in the 2000s/10s Bono Hall of Shame.

But it's not trying to be anything more than it is. It's not a lead single accompanied by a lyric video, there's no interviews with Bono espousing the genius of the lyric, it's just a line in a song on the back half of the album. Which is why it doesn't really bother me.

I'm not certain what my sign-up date has to do with my opinion of the song Grace.

Nor do I get the point of bringing up what this forum thought of the song back in the day.

Both absurdly irrelevant.

Besides, all I said was that the song was ok for a closer, that I have no objection to it and that I think it's a more appropriate closer than any of the other songs offered in suggestion.

If you're that squeamish about dissenting opinion one wonders why you bother to exchange thoughts and ideas on a forum.

Er, I was responding to your surprise somebody might dislike In a Little While, nothing to do with Grace. I was pointing out that IALW was a lightning rod of disdain during 2009-11, a period when you clearly were not on this forum - the only way anybody here might be surprised that it has detractors.

But sure, overreact and call me "squeamish".

But it's not trying to be anything more than it is. It's not a lead single accompanied by a lyric video, there's no interviews with Bono espousing the genius of the lyric, it's just a line in a song on the back half of the album. Which is why it doesn't really bother me.

Thank god it came out in 2000 rather than 2017 hey.

Er, I was responding to your surprise somebody might dislike In a Little While, nothing to do with Grace. I was pointing out that IALW was a lightning rod of disdain during 2009-11, a period when you clearly were not on this forum - the only way anybody here might be surprised that it has detractors.

But sure, overreact and call me "squeamish".

Understood.

Thanks for the clarification.

Btw, it's not that I'm surprised IALW is liked or disliked by anyone, just that it was so unpopular, as you pointed out, by so many. While my own experience has been something wholly other.

White As Snow is definitely one of NLOTH's best songs. I was disappointed, however, to learn that the lyric I heard as "a land as white as snow" is in fact "a lamb".

Grace is to ATYCLB what Invercargill is to NZ.

Oh god yes.

Still, at least it's not Stand Up Comedy, which is to U2's career what Hamilton is to New Zealand.

Compared to anything they've released this year, In A Little While is friggin' Gimme Shelter. That said, of course I'm talking about the 2000 album recording. Its touring history maybe not so hot.

I had a cancer scare in late 2013, then little more than a year later I was holding my newborn daughter the day she was born and playing and singing along to every song on ATYCLB in Our hospital room with my wife was one of the best moments in my life. When ATYCLB first came out, Grace was an odd one to me cus it was quiet, didn’t stand out much but felt special. The line ‘She carries the world on her hips’ mightve been for Ali who eventually gave birth to their son during the Elevation tour. So from that perspective I knew if I ever had a kid that years ahead the song would come back to mean something more to me.

Now that I’m a dad, I love that they wrote a song that makes it feel good to bring a life into this world especially when there’s so many terrible things going on...Grace could be her name...can also be a thought that changes the world. That’s what you hope for when you bring a child into the world. The song feels a little like a protective bubble. I don’t care how cheesy that might sound. The way I hear it Bono wrote it for the mother of his children.

Now I need to go listen to The Fly & The Blackout LOL

Last edited:
I was waiting for someone to do this. [emoji38]

*notices signup date*

I like In A Little While.

It just had no business being on 360. It was a poor setlist choice (if we're going to be in the business of static setlists and all) more than a bad song.

I also like ultraviolet, so we may have to fight. I'll pick a date. See you next Tuesday.

Back
Top Bottom