Another album soon?? Songs of Ascent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When Bono says the new album won't be very rock n' roll, I hear that as - translation: more Eno, less Lillywhite. Both are great in different ways, but Eno/Lanois should keep playing with the band and wielding the most influence for now. Things are white-hot musically so there's no need to fuck with it.

Cheers.

Sounds like that could mean a slew of things, gentler music, more atmospheric pieces, or more challenging and experiemental pieces...

:drool::drool:

which by the way were what some folks were expecting. But I trust the guys whatever it may come out of that. By its description, Every Breaking Wave has a With Or Without You feel, which is:drool:

I don't agree, the man is great at what he does, and has added some nice layers to their sound, but leave the songwriting to U2 themselves, they know how to better structure their own songs. Eno's a genius of electronics and ambience, but of their collaborators Lanois is a far greater musician.

Interestingly it seems to me that Eno, is held in check by the rest of the band (especially the no nonsense Adam & Larry) and probably Lanois and Lillywhite, Bono seems to be one to meddle a lot as well (I bet all the 'ohhhs' were his idea).

I would very much like to see another Eno only album, Zooropa was great, if a bit unfocused. But his stellar production on Viva La Vida would suggest that this wouldn't be a problem this time around.

If he was given free rein to do what he wanted, like he did with Coldplay (who assumedly would have been hanging off his every word, during the production of VLV).
I think we would have a more fully realised and cohesive 'experimental' album than NLOTH is. NLOTH to me seems to have had 'too many cooks'.

I think NLOTH had exactly the right# of cooks. That's why its so awesome! ;)

They should use Eno and Lanois just as heavily in SOA, and then..... I don't know. Time to pause for a second and think about where they are and what they want to do. It might be time to rock again by then........ Maybe going forward every other album should be a collaboration with Eno and Lanois?

I hope so, I really dig Eno's work at creating atmosphere in songs. I think a slower U2 album would definitely be a good choice. We've had quite a few rock anthem type albums as of late, really good stuff to rock out stadiums on their tour. However, I think U2 always does well at setting scenes and atmosphere for slow songs(Exit, Heartland, WOWY, etc), and I am excited about what they will do next.

What is so great about this is that it removes the pressure of trying to do a Rock tour without a Rock N Roll album.

They just release the music, throw in a couple of the new songs in the U2360 tour to complement the NLOTH songs.

This album really becomes a companion, which basically means U2 are releasing it for the music, because they want to, without any expectation.

Haven't we been asking for this type of album for a while?

I'll be in the minority and say I'd like to see them move away from Eno/Lanois. Yes, they helped them expand their sound on UF and JT, and the reinventions on AB and ATYCLB and they maybe squeezed a great album out of U2 with NLOTH but if they're serious about the 12 year old deal of touring/recording they will need another reinvention IMO and I don't see it happening with those two.

I was always hoping Rubin could get something great out of them, like he did with other artists in the late stage of their career (Diamond, Cash, Petty, Metallica). Or maybe Nigel Godrich would be a good idea. I liked his remix of Walk on and anyone that can do this - According to interviews, the idea of bringing in a younger producer was for McCartney to challenge himself, and accordingly Godrich fired McCartney's touring band on the first day's sessions, and demanded the star abandon songs Godrich felt to be clichéd, over-sentimental or subpar - can bring U2 to the top of their game too.

I'll be in the minority and say I'd like to see them move away from Eno/Lanois. Yes, they helped them expand their sound on UF and JT, and the reinventions on AB and ATYCLB and they maybe squeezed a great album out of U2 with NLOTH but if they're serious about the 12 year old deal of touring/recording they will need another reinvention IMO and I don't see it happening with those two.

I was always hoping Rubin could get something great out of them, like he did with other artists in the late stage of their career (Diamond, Cash, Petty, Metallica). Or maybe Nigel Godrich would be a good idea. I liked his remix of Walk on and anyone that can do this - According to interviews, the idea of bringing in a younger producer was for McCartney to challenge himself, and accordingly Godrich fired McCartney's touring band on the first day's sessions, and demanded the star abandon songs Godrich felt to be clichéd, over-sentimental or subpar - can bring U2 to the top of their game too.

I always thought Godrich would be a great producer, one who prob likes U2 and wants to see them succeed but isn't a yes-man and will push them to be different. However...I doubt U2 would even consider this since he's the Radiohead man, and it would seem like they're trying to catch Radiohead's magic, much like Coldplay was trying to catch U2's magic with Eno.

It was only about 4:00 in the afternoon when I made that post. Maybe in Scotland they start boozing it up by then, but I usually wait until it's actually dark to enjoy the city's vices. :shrug:

It wasn't a serious point, but yeah in Scotland we tend to get on the sauce as early as possible. And we call boozing an essential lifestyle choice, not a vice :sexywink:

The Edge: 'U2 Have No Timetable For Next Album' - FESTIVALWISE

Edge just want to focus on the current album for now.

U2's guitarist The Edge has said the band haven't yet established a timetable for the release of their next album.

Singer Bono said last month that the record, entitled 'Songs of Ascent', would be released in early 2010.

But, in an interview with MTV, the group's guitarist said they wanted to maintain focus on their latest album 'No Line On The Horizon'.

"We have talked about a second album. We certainly have loads of material," The Edge said.

"But we're still so delighted with this record. It's hard to put a timetable on it."

As previously reported on Gigwise, U2 will play an extensive world tour this summer in support of their new record.

I think somebody posted this already. I might be wrong.

I don't agree, the man is great at what he does, and has added some nice layers to their sound, but leave the songwriting to U2 themselves, they know how to better structure their own songs. Eno's a genius of electronics and ambience, but of their collaborators Lanois is a far greater musician.

Just asking, but how do you know Lanois is a far greater musician than Eno? Which works could you refer me to? I know far more about Eno than Lanois. Aren't electronics a form of musicianship, after all?

Good for Edge for toeing the party line and saying 'no timetable.' I'm sure Paul McGuinness was privately pissed when Bono started mouthing off about a new record in October, lol. It's hard to keep the press and public focused on one record, and when you dangle the prospect of another, it dilutes the marketing message a bit.

I'm sure there *will* be a new album this fall; Bono's already spilled the beans, but they shouldn't keep talking about it.

This is just like Zooropa... :drool:

hate to say it, but i really don't think we're getting a follow up this year or next year. it really seems like the band is starting retract from their earlier statements.

...and so it begins...:sad:

yeah, i hate to sound so negative about this, but i've been a skeptic of this ever since Bono said anything. i just know how U2 works. they're going to sit down, look at the songs they have down, and then want to improve them and make them into something even more grand.

then being tied up in their tour till the end of 2010, they probably won't start it until 2011, so we'd probably look at late 2012 or early 2013.

hate to say it, but i really don't think we're getting a follow up this year or next year. it really seems like the band is starting retract from their earlier statements.

Nah, that's just Paul McGuinness, locking the band in a room, and shouting at Bono, telling him, "DUDE: you have a NEW ALBUM to promote. We need to sell out STADIUMS which is a tall order in this economy. Keep the focus on NLOTH, not the next album."

There will be a new album, though. Bono's already spilled the beans.

Nah, that's just Paul McGuinness, locking the band in a room, and shouting at Bono, telling him, "DUDE: you have a NEW ALBUM to promote. We need to sell out STADIUMS which is a tall order in this economy. Keep the focus on NLOTH, not the next album."

There will be a new album, though. Bono's already spilled the beans.

i hope you're right. i just have a very bad feeling that many people will be disappointed when it doesn't happen.

the good news though is that the band has plenty of time from November until next summer to complete it, if that's what they intend to do.

I agree with part of this. I don't think Rubin is the right man for U2. He wanted fully-fleshed songs before recording. We already got that, it was called ATYCLB, and Eno was behind that process of focusing on the writing over the jamming. Whether you like that album or not, it's been there, done that. And I don't think it's the situation in which the band discovers its muse. They're much more interesting when they're chasing the spirit of something through improvisation.

I'm not sure the Eno/Lanois well has dried up. To me, the missteps on No Line are ones of trying to force accessible music in with the vibe they had going--Edge revealed this in his Billboard interview. Crazy Tonight and Stand Up Comedy are examples of this. While I don't think Winter is some fantastic song that Eno has right to be so protective of, tonally it FITS better at least.

What I will say is that IF the band goes with a production team other than Eno/Lanois, I would prefer it to be Godrich over any other working producers, including Lanois alone.

U2Girl is right in that Nigel's quality control would be something sorely needed, if they were willing to listen to him. Not sure if they would.

i hope you're right. i just have a very bad feeling that many people will be disappointed when it doesn't happen.

nah, other than a few people calling Bono a liar :rolleyes: I'm sure most of us are prepared for the next album to be released somewhere between 2011-2013.
BUT, on the other hand there will be a long break between 2nd leg of the tour and the 3rd leg,
a new album late 2009 - early 2010 would be a very good move to keep people interested.
We know they will release 4 singles from NLOTH, I guess the 4th single will be released around November/December and that would mean nothing "new" for the whole 2010 part of the tour, not good IMO

yeah, i hate to sound so negative about this, but i've been a skeptic of this ever since Bono said anything. i just know how U2 works. they're going to sit down, look at the songs they have down, and then want to improve them and make them into something even more grand.

then being tied up in their tour till the end of 2010, they probably won't start it until 2011, so we'd probably look at late 2012 or early 2013.

Well usually Bono does say "We want to do another album soon" and it takes another four years before we hear it.But there's something different this time.Edge,Adam and Larry have also spoke about the Songs of Ascent record and the possible first single Every Breaking Wave which we know is an outtake from NLOTH.Plus I think most of the songs for Songs of Ascent are already worked out and just need some touching up and finishing.Remember that supposed 50 or 60 songs U2 recorded.Also the fact that NLOTH was originally going to be a double album with the daylight and darkness monikers leads me to believe that Songs of Ascent is not too far away.Realistically I highly doubt it will be released this fall or winter.U2 will tour this summer until late October,probably take Nov and Dec off to be with family.Then I think Jan and Feb.they will go back in studio and finish Songs of Ascent before touring again in Apr to Oct 2010.So I think Songs of Ascent will be released Spring of 2010.Unless they hit another rich songwriting vein then WERE SCREWED.

Well usually Bono does say "We want to do another album soon" and it takes another four years before we hear it.But there's something different this time.Edge,Adam and Larry have also spoke about the Songs of Ascent record and the possible first single Every Breaking Wave which we know is an outtake from NLOTH.Plus I think most of the songs for Songs of Ascent are already worked out and just need some touching up and finishing.Remember that supposed 50 or 60 songs U2 recorded.Also the fact that NLOTH was originally going to be a double album with the daylight and darkness monikers leads me to believe that Songs of Ascent is not too far away.Realistically I highly doubt it will be released this fall or winter.U2 will tour this summer until late October,probably take Nov and Dec off to be with family.Then I think Jan and Feb.they will go back in studio and finish Songs of Ascent before touring again in Apr to Oct 2010.So I think Songs of Ascent will be released Spring of 2010.Unless they hit another rich songwriting vein then WERE SCREWED.

i agree with everything you say here, except for that the album will released in 2010. i just don't see it happening because i think the band will decide that instead of rushing the next album, they'd rather spend more time on the songs.

i agree with everything you say here, except for that the album will released in 2010. i just don't see it happening because i think the band will decide that instead of rushing the next album, they'd rather spend more time on the songs.

Yah thats what I meant in my last sentence when I said if the band hits another rich songwriting vein WERE SCREWED and were not getting that album till fall 2010 or spring 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom