Amazon AutoRip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danny Boy

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-U
Maybe this belongs in "Restart and Reboot Yourself," but it is musically related.

Anyway, Amazon launched AutoRip today, so when you buy a CD from Amazon it's automatically and instantly added to your Cloud Player in MP3 format.

I pre-ordered the CD from the 12-12-12 Concert, due for release on January 22, and the MP3s showed up in my Cloud Player this morning.

Older purchases are added as well. I see that I have CDs that I purchased from Amazon as far back as 2000 now in my Cloud Player. Lots of albums. Most of them I already have ripped in iTunes, but still pretty cool.

None of my older purchases are there. You lied to me, DB. Right to my face.

Nevermind, I lied to my own face. They're in the Cloud Player, but not the Cloud Drive.

Pretty cool, even though I burn CDs anyway, to have a backup in case you lost an old CD or gave one away. Officially they say any CD bought since 1998.

The Beatles aren't included, I bought a couple of the remasters and they aren't in the cloud. So I'm assuming anyone with an iTunes exclusive digital deal they are not allowed to add. No biggie though, if I ever lose a Beatles album I'd want another physical copy anyway.

It also contains any MP3s you have bought. It doesn't cover anything purchased through the marketplace, though.

I wasn't expecting it to, either. I just thought I would throw it out there in case anyone was wondering. I guess that was kind of dumb.

Has anyone else noticed that some of the albums are incomplete? Some albums are missing 1 or 2 tracks, and some compilation albums have only half of the tracks. I wonder if that's a legal thing?

Yes, some songs are missing. The email I got from Amazon announcing AutoRip specifies that "SONGS from these CDs you purchased from Amazon in the past are now available for you in Cloud Player for FREE" and later in the email it says "Please note that some songs from the above CDs are not eligible for this feature".

On Amazon's site it says this "For some albums you purchased in the past, we may have added MP3 versions of some but not all of the tracks on the album, depending on track eligibility for AutoRip" but I didn't find a criteria for 'track eligibility' or why some songs are eligible but others on the same album are not. I'd guess that you're correct about it being some kind of legal issue.

Back
Top Bottom