All U2.Com Related Discussion HERE Artificial Horizon, Duals etc. pt 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't have seven of those tracks, so that's pretty good. But why did they split "Amazing Grace" from "Streets" and put it at the end? The free download from U2.com had these two combined. It's not a big deal, but it seems like a strange thing to do.

This tracklist is actually worse than I expected, and that's saying something.

Agree 100% :sad:

I can't believe they chose Drunk Chicken. How can that be better than, say,
- In the Name of the Father & Billy Boula
- Sweet Fire of Love & Testimony
- Let the Good Times Roll
- Children of the Revolution
- What's Hoing on (London Mix)
- In A Lifetime
- Save the Children (!!)
- New Day
- evey other freaking collaboration!!

This seriously could be a double disk (and still not have Drunk Chicken and the Soweto Choir)

How could you already have everything on here? I see 5 new tracks or mixes on the track listing (at least they are new to me):
WHERE THE STREETS HAVE NO NAME U2 and Soweto Gospel Choir
SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY (Live from Auckland) U2 and Jay-Z
STUCK IN A MOMENT YOU CAN’T GET OUT OF (Live at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame) U2 and Mick Jagger
STRANDED (HAITI MON AMOUR) – Hybrid Mix Jay-Z, Bono, The Edge, Rihanna
AMAZING GRACE U2 and Soweto Gospel Choir

WTSHNN and AG are simply a bootleg mashup featuring a live recording (which we already have) and Soweto Gospel Choir. It's also been available through U2.com so any astute fan already has it.

SBS feat Jay-Z also streamed on U2.com (and like the above, left a handy downloaded version in your history file)

SIAMYCGOO is avilable on CD/DVD/iTunes and I have that too.

So the only "new" or previously unavailable track is Stranded - but we already have live and studio versions of the song.

Agree 100% :sad:

I can't believe they chose Drunk Chicken. How can that be better than, say,
- In the Name of the Father & Billy Boula
- Sweet Fire of Love & Testimony
- Let the Good Times Roll
- Children of the Revolution
- What's Hoing on (London Mix)
- In A Lifetime
- Save the Children (!!)
- New Day

Those were not U2 collaborations (no, Bono solo does not count). Maybe you can count the 2 songs by Robbie Robertson, where U2 was the backing band.
And it's a serious challenge to find out which one is better: Drunk Chicken or New Day. :)

WTSHNN and AG are simply a bootleg mashup featuring a live recording (which we already have) and Soweto Gospel Choir. It's also been available through U2.com so any astute fan already has it.

Hmm, considering it's an official track I don't think it's a bootleg mashup, but I get your point. But the reason it has been available through U2.com is because it is on this release. So that makes your point moot.

SBS feat Jay-Z also streamed on U2.com (and like the above, left a handy downloaded version in your history file)

Still, I prefer to have a high-quality CD version of songs.

SIAMYCGOO is avilable on CD/DVD/iTunes and I have that too.

True. But it reminded me that I have to buy that R&R Hall Of Fame concerts boxset, for the U2 tracks. :)

So the only "new" or previously unavailable track is Stranded - but we already have live and studio versions of the song.

As I said before, I would also consider the two tracks with the Soweto Gospel Choir to be new. That it was released as a teaser for this compilation does not change that.

Like I said in the other thread about Duals (http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f196/u2-duals-update-208956-5.html#post7116673) I would've liked to see some other collaborations too (U2/Underworld, maybe a live recording of U2 & Pearl Jam or U2 & Arcade Fire), but I'm still content with this release. I think there are about 7 songs on it that I still don't have on CD (officially), so that's pretty nice.

I think with this particular cd, DUALS, we needed to expect that we were going to already have most of it though right? I didn't expect anything super brand new never heard before with something like this. It's just that they compiled into one record a collection of songs that were scattered about before.

There are some tracks here that were scattered across non-album releases, but...I mean, people should earn more for their yearly $50 than another copy of Miss Sarajevo and When Love Comes To Town. Like maybe a tote bag, or a rabid dog.

I could list a cds worth of alternate "Duets" that could actually use an audio fidelity upgrade and be new to hardcore fans as most only exist on audience tape:

Bono/Springsteen Because The Night Miami 2002
U2/Davy Jones 1997
Edge/Muse Glastonbury 2010
Bono singing Spiderman tracks on 20/20 or 60 minutes
Scarlet with Jay-Z Auckland 2010
Duets with local musc legend at 2010 show in Turkey
U2/Green Day live Hawaii 2006
U2/Green Day NFL alternate take?(I think the music video is different than live Tv version)
Pearl Jam/U2 Hawaii 2006
Pearl Jam/U2 Toronto 2005(PJ released flacs)
Arcade Fire/U2 Toronto 2005 doing Joy Division
REM/U2 rhythm section MTV 1992(upgrade possible?)
ABBA guys/U2 Stockholm Dancing Queen(upgrade possible, is it complete?)
AXL/U2 1993 Knocking on Heaven's Door
Lanois/U2 Wild Honey New York 2001
Lou Reed/U2 1992 he did make a cameo in person once or twice
Stefani/U2 What's Going On late 2001 gigs(do IEMs circulate?)
Springsteen/U2 1987 Phili Stand By Me
Springsteen/U2 2005 Phili People Get Ready
Kylie/Bono Australia 2006
Bowie/U2 Gloria(Van Morrison song) Cleveland 1990
William S. Burroughs version of Miami?

While some may argue that all of these don't feat all 4 members of U2, a couple of the tracks on the official DUETS don't have all 4 members audibly present.

-Wanderer could be a long and alt mix from the soundtrack
-Saints could be a live version from NFL or Hawaii
-BB King could be a live version from love town

Yeah, but then people will still bitch with the same arguments (uninspired tracklist, some versions already previously commercially available, etc.).
And the arguments I read now are so last year (with everyone complaining about Artificial Horizon beforehand and then really enjoying that disc).

Is anybody here still seeing any value in the U2.com subscription? I go back to the early Propaganda days. But my current term expires in a month - it's unclear whether I'll still get Duals without reupping - and between the weak tracklist, high sub cost, and core facts that most news of value comes from atu2.com, social media, etc., and they likely won't tour again after 360 for a few years, seems like there's not much value in the sub anymore. Thoughts?

Is anybody here still seeing any value in the U2.com subscription? I go back to the early Propaganda days. But my current term expires in a month - it's unclear whether I'll still get Duals without reupping - and between the weak tracklist, high sub cost, and core facts that most news of value comes from atu2.com, social media, etc., and they likely won't tour again after 360 for a few years, seems like there's not much value in the sub anymore. Thoughts?

I still value in it. I value the fanclub CD (that's the collector in me wanting all U2 tracks officially released, preferably on CD). Apart from that I mainly value Willie's Diaries on U2.com. In all, that's worth $40 to me. I can understand it being different for others, that's a question each one should ask him/herself.

BTW, it is my understanding that Duals is for the 2011 subscribers. With your subscription running out at the end of the month you will not receive Duals without resubscribing. I'm in the same situation (so I'll renew soon).

Actually it was announced on Aug. 23 I believe and I just copied this from that announcement:

A collectors-edition release, it's part of the 2010/2011 U2.com subscription package. Subscribers also get the chance to participate in a presale for tickets to upcoming U2 shows.

So if you renewed at the last part of 2010 you should get it. The email I received that day encouraged people to renew now and receive it in 2011. Hopefully they remember I did that! I have to admit I've never had a problem receiving the fan gifts every year, though I know many people have. I have all of them including my member card keychain, and I also received 2 copies of Medium Rare, so I gave one to someone who never received theirs.

Yeah, but then people will still bitch with the same arguments (uninspired tracklist, some versions already previously commercially available, etc.).
And the arguments I read now are so last year (with everyone complaining about Artificial Horizon beforehand and then really enjoying that disc).

:up:

I don't know if this was mentioned before but I am wondering if the absent tracks have anything to do with rights to the songs. It's probably why we got so much crap. I just don't get that they think someone who is willing to shell out 50$ for a membership wouldn't have Rattle and Hum and Zooropa. I kinda get the Miss Sarajevo inclusion because Passengers isn't readily available. Actually.. no I'm wrong... it's on the Best of!

Pearl Jam is exponentially better to their fans than U2 is.

It's about what I expected. There are a few tracks I don't already have on CD, so that's good. The only WTF for me is that Drunk Chicken thing. The world was not screaming for it to make another appearance on CD.

It's about what I expected. There are a few tracks I don't already have on CD, so that's good. The only WTF for me is that Drunk Chicken thing. The world was not screaming for it to make another appearance on CD.

It's easier to find than Slug at this point.

I only really re-upped for the chance to buy Dublin tickets in the presale, assuming it actually happens. If not, oh well. I won't be pissed off at the wasted money, because I knew when I paid that it was only a rumor.

There is a guy named Matkin22 on the official site that wrote what I believe is a perfect open letter to the band about the Duals fiasco and other problems with the official site. It'd copy and paste it here, but don't know if that's a no-no, so I'll just link to it:

http://community.u2.com/topic/21326?page=12

I agree with every point in this letter, and if you do too, we should do everything we can to help get it passed on to the band or its management.

I think @U2 has been pretty outspoken about their frustration with the way things are handled in general as well. I find myself agreeing with many of the criticisms, but not to the level of anger, vitriol or downright betrayal some people seem to have.

But the open letter was well-written, and I definitely agree with it's points. I am glad to see that the mod there is trying to get the complaints/feedback to the right people. Sounds like it's been done before. :up:

I agree.

I wouldn't mind the cd if the content on the website itself made up for it. As it stands right now, it doesn't. It's just not worth the money..especially in this economy.

Finally folks are seeing that the fan club is a $50 surcharge on concert tickets. A way to infuse cash into the live nation deal etc. No need for membership especially when they won.t tour for years. Anything they offer fan club can be bought or ebay for less then Membership cost.

This is like an airline charging extra for baggage... Total rubbish.....

Just got an email from U2.com. Apparently they are going to stream the concert for subscribers:
People across Africa can listen in to a live audio stream of the band's show in Cape Town - and on U2.com we'll be hosting the live audio for our subscribers across the world.

:up:

I think @U2 has been pretty outspoken about their frustration with the way things are handled in general as well. I find myself agreeing with many of the criticisms, but not to the level of anger, vitriol or downright betrayal some people seem to have.

But the open letter was well-written, and I definitely agree with it's points. I am glad to see that the mod there is trying to get the complaints/feedback to the right people. Sounds like it's been done before. :up:

A petition has been posted on @U2 if you would like to look at it and possibly sign it if you want to:

The u2.com petition is here; The Fanclub is a Cannibal - u2.com, fans need more

A positive part about the fanclub is that I just had to resubscribe, and they gave me the choice to get Artificial Horizon or Duals! :up: I cannot for the life of me find my copy of Artificial Horizon, don't even remember if I got it last year. So now I'll get that one instead of the atrocious Duals! :D

Back
Top Bottom