All Things Australia-ish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got an e-mail from Expedia advertising a New Zealand holidays sale ... banner image includes Christchurch Cathedral (along with Wellington Harbour and the Sky Tower). Timing, guys. :slant:

At least Mel and Kochie and Karl are over there in NZ. That will keep their spirits up.I heard this morning a creche was in one of the buildings that collapsed.

when i was in auckland, i met a guy from christchurch after the 2nd show. we are friends on facebook and he hadn't posted anything since before the quake. there were quite a bit of messages from his friends asking about him, mostly in italian. he was able to sign on today, he posted this:

ciao ragazzi, sto scrivendo da un'altra casa xkè dove sto io nn abbiamo ancora ne corrente ne acqua ne un cristo di nulla.
sto bene, grazie a tutti per il poensiero... è stato qualcosa di devastante, ero al lavoro e il mondo ha iniziato a tremare, incredibile, tutto distrutto, il centro città è devastato... appena mi ritorna corrente v...i spiegherò meglio, per ora tutto ok... possiamo solo aspettare

translated through google
hello guys, I'm writing from another house where I am xkè nn we have neither current nor water nor a christ anything.
I'm fine, thank you all for poensiero ... was something devastating, I was at work and the world began to tremble, incredible, all destroyed, the center city is devastated ... As soon as I return to the current v. .. explain more, so far so ok ... we can only wait

and in other tragic chch news, weird al cancelled his concert there.

no really, i like weird al. on topic he does seem to also be visiting every australian city though, even freaking hobart.

I wouldn't have minded seeing him if the ticket prices weren't astronomical.

And huh, that must be the first concert in Hobart since Dire Straits in 1985. :wink:

to all in NZ; to anyone with family or friends who have been touched in some way by this awfulness . . . sending you all strength and peace and a few :hug: :hug: :hug: as well . . . my brain can not compute the devastation so I can only imagine the pain and fear that is rippling through the country now :hug: . . . stay strong

and ax . . . re that post about NSW and racism in general . . . :sigh:

The most damning thing about that article to me is that only 86% of Australians believe it's a good thing to have people from other nations and cultures living here. How could that not be 100%?!

I'd love to know what their sample size and demographic was. In fact I wish all articles citing studies would include that.

Understanding and acceptance comes from making peace with the fact that 80% of Australia is bogan and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it.

Vlad n U 2 said:
Because most at least realise that this country is "racist".

My point was, how is it "consoling" to hear your country of residence is "racist"? It's horrifying, not a comfort.

I've always said Australia's not a racist country, it just has a lot of racist people, and I'll stand by that. But these figures don't help.

My point was, how is it "consoling" to hear your country of residence is "racist"? It's horrifying, not a comfort.

I've always said Australia's not a racist country, it just has a lot of racist people, and I'll stand by that. But these figures don't help.

I think you've missed my point, or I've missed mine? What I meant was that it was consoling that most recognised that there is a problem with racism in this country.

I actually found that survey to be very encouraging. Some of the questions, like the one about being concerned about various cultures needs more investigation. Why are people concerned? Is it from a religious viewpoint, a media perception of a type of people or the way they dress (some people can find this intimidating). Also the question about the concern if a relative married someone from somewhere else. Is this concern based upon perception of different cultures or religion or what? I don't believe myself to be racist but if one of my children married someone from another culture, I would have concerns. More about the added pressure being brought up in two different cultures can have to a relationship that, lets face it, statistically doesn't stand much of a chance (1 in 3 end in divorce or something). Would I try to stop my child from marrying that person - No, but I would be concerned (I may not even mention it to my child but that doesn't mean I wouldn't have that particular feeling. Ah, the joys of trying to word a survey). That doesn't have anything to do with the person themselves or their background but if the media got a hold of my opinion it could quickly become "racist".

I think Australia's multiculturalism is great. There are certain elements that don't work and it must always be remembered that coming to the fabulous place that we all live in doesn't mean that you can give up all the "old ways". I am not saying that you shouldn't try to integrate but a bit of tolerance on this side would definitely help (especially with those who are elderly and find change of any sort very stressful). It also brings up the very tricky area of second generation Australians who walk the mind field of two cultures and trying to fit in with both.

I also think it is relevant to look at the historical immigration into an area. Some of the areas which show a more racist tendency to a particular group, I would expect would have had long term dealings with that particular group of people and this may influence peoples opinions regarding that group (for instance, am sure there would be some resentment towards the Chinese in towns like Broome where the Chinese came to work in the pearling industry - I could be completely wrong on this but am using it as an off the top of my head example).

Last edited:
I found this part of the article most infuriating:

41.4 per cent of Australians believe that Muslims, Aboriginals, Asians or Jews ''don't fit into Australian society''.

Fuck's sake! They were only here for thousands upon thousands of years before white people rocked up. If any of them don't fit into Australian society at present, it's because white knobjockeys forced them out and won't let them participate fully in their own goddamn country's society!

Given this country's history, I find it hard to see any viable argument that Australia is NOT a racist country.

Also the question about the concern if a relative married someone from somewhere else. Is this concern based upon perception of different cultures or religion or what? I don't believe myself to be racist but if one of my children married someone from another culture, I would have concerns. More about the added pressure being brought up in two different cultures can have to a relationship that, lets face it, statistically doesn't stand much of a chance (1 in 3 end in divorce or something). Would I try to stop my child from marrying that person - No, but I would be concerned (I may not even mention it to my child but that doesn't mean I wouldn't have that particular feeling. Ah, the joys of trying to word a survey). That doesn't have anything to do with the person themselves or their background but if the media got a hold of my opinion it could quickly become "racist".

I must admit, I don't quite understand you here. Maybe I've missed something? It's just that I don't see why it's even significant that somebody's partner is from another culture - it says absolutely nothing about whether or not the two are suited for each other or their likelihood of a successful relationship. Sure, maybe their family might try to meddle and insist on certain cultural practices, but that just says the person's family contains some twits, and let's be honest, there are families that just want to meddle, and if they couldn't do it under the guise of culture, they'd do it under a different guise.

The abc were talking about this poll this morning and how one paper reported it as us being racist and the other had some other positive slant on it. Must go digging, I live in a shitty reception area and radio was scratchy, as per usual.
:sigh:

Sorry, what I was trying to say (albeit badly) is that people can be concerned (or worried or a number of other words) but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are against something. I am concerned when my child crosses the road but it doesn't mean that I will stop him or her from crossing. Does that make more sense? In the case of two people marrying, it is a concern for the added pressure that can be a result of trying to live with two different cultures, not that either culture is somehow "wrong".

Also, the point about people not fitting into Australian Society.

Two things here (1) this is an opinion based upon what? I think a question asking why people believe that other cultures are not fitting in would have been interesting. Is this a media based perception or from personal experience. (2) What is the person answering the questions definition of Australian Society? Is this based on the white stereotype or a more multiracial group?

has anyone else been encoutering a stupid amount of spiderwebs since this crazy weather began? and they aren't weak either, like you flick the strings of the spider web with your finger and they won't come away like normal ones do.

She must've had some nasty, nasty breath.

Sorry, what I was trying to say (albeit badly) is that people can be concerned (or worried or a number of other words) but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are against something. I am concerned when my child crosses the road but it doesn't mean that I will stop him or her from crossing. Does that make more sense? In the case of two people marrying, it is a concern for the added pressure that can be a result of trying to live with two different cultures, not that either culture is somehow "wrong".

Ah right, I see what you're getting at now.

Also, the point about people not fitting into Australian Society.

Two things here (1) this is an opinion based upon what? I think a question asking why people believe that other cultures are not fitting in would have been interesting. Is this a media based perception or from personal experience. (2) What is the person answering the questions definition of Australian Society? Is this based on the white stereotype or a more multiracial group?

Actually, this is a good point. I'm in no doubt that some people, even some of us, would say that Aboriginals don't fit into Australian society, because they perceive that there is a sufficiently large amount of xenophobes and racists to convince them that Aboriginals are not allowed to fit in. And they don't mean it as a comment on Aboriginals, but a comment on how exclusionary they think mainstream Australian society is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom