All the Wine...is all for me and the CSGW's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Look at us spinning out in
The madness of a roller coaster
You know you went off like a devil
In a church in the middle of a crowded room
All we can do, my love
Is hope we don't take this ship down

:love: lol

Oh man, they used to do it a lot in the 70s. And they did do a 15 minute performance of Mary's Place at the last show I was at, but, man, DMB was breaking out into extended solos during almost every song lol.

:wink: Nice.

Yeah, some of those older performances are craaazy! There was one with a massive performance of Tenth Avenue Freezeout that was great. DMB is a jam band at heart though, so it does make a bit more sense that they're doing more extended jams than Springsteen. :lol:

:wink: Nice.

Yeah, some of those older performances are craaazy! There was one with a massive performance of Tenth Avenue Freezeout that was great. DMB is a jam band at heart though, so it does make a bit more sense that they're doing more extended jams than Springsteen. :lol:

How into Springsteen are you? If you're QUITE into him, I have a bootleg you HAVE to hear.

It's been awhile since listening to him intensely, but I'd love to hear it anyway. :D I saw him twice last year in 4 months, so I have a huge soft spot for his live stuff. :up:

Just wanted to make sure you saw this response, Justin, and it didn't get lost at the bottom of the last page :wink: :
I think stereotypes involving the music of an area are often wrong in reality. Would you agree?

Oh, definitely. Certain areas basically always have genres that are more prevalent, but most types of music show up everywhere. I mean, talking specifically about hip-hop in Minnesota/the Midwest at large, it has to do a lot with racial perceptions of hip-hop, and the view that Minnesota isn't "black," and therefore doesn't have hip-hop coming from it. Of course, that's just not true, and though the hip-hop scene in Minnesota is a very white-dominated scene, it shows how diverse hip-hop is more than anything else.

Well let me direct your attention to : drumroll:

THE BOMB SCARE SHOW

er uh...wait, gotta upload it :lol:

Ohhhhh, I've heard about it. Milwaukee, right? Haven't actually listened to it though. :hyper:

Ohhhhh, I've heard about it. Milwaukee, right? Haven't actually listened to it though. :hyper:

Yep! Only the post bomb sweep part of the concert is up online (as far as I know) but it's a good length, and it's the funniest thing you're ever going to hear, while still being AWESOME.

:lol: Fantastic, I can't wait. They all got quite intoxicated in between the bomb scare and coming back on stage, didn't they?

Just wanted to make sure you saw this response, Justin, and it didn't get lost at the bottom of the last page :wink: :

Oh, definitely. Certain areas basically always have genres that are more prevalent, but most types of music show up everywhere. I mean, talking specifically about hip-hop in Minnesota/the Midwest at large, it has to do a lot with racial perceptions of hip-hop, and the view that Minnesota isn't "black," and therefore doesn't have hip-hop coming from it. Of course, that's just not true, and though the hip-hop scene in Minnesota is a very white-dominated scene, it shows how diverse hip-hop is more than anything else.

I think the racial perception is part of it too. Apparently there is a strong hiphop scene here in Omaha but like Minnesota the city is seen as very "white." It also has strong jazz roots. In fact, Des Moines and Kansas City were also major stops for jazz musicians back in the day. I think cities are too diverse musically do get racial tags. I mean, Minneapolis produced Prince and is best known for him yet isn't thought of as having a "black" presence.

I think the racial perception is part of it too. Apparently there is a strong hiphop scene here in Omaha but like Minnesota the city is seen as very "white." It also has strong jazz roots. In fact, Des Moines and Kansas City were major stops for jazz musicians back in the day. I think cities are too diverse musically do get racial tags. I mean, Minneapolis produced Prince and is best known for him yet isn't thought of as having a "black" presence.

Definitely agree with you on giving cities racial tags too. As white as Minneapolis/Minnesota may seem, there are large sections of the city and state that have high minority populations. When people tell me that Minneapolis is "white," I just have to laugh because they obviously haven't been to the Cedar area or Seward neighborhood or a few other places in the city...it's a whole different world than a lot of people choose to see.

:lol: Probably. I've noticed each area's been pretty dull for a few weeks now too. Hopefully it picks up again soon enough.

:wave: Hi Zee.

Definitely agree with you on giving cities racial tags too. As white as Minneapolis/Minnesota may seem, there are large sections of the city and state that have high minority populations. When people tell me that Minneapolis is "white," I just have to laugh because they obviously haven't been to the Cedar area or Seward neighborhood or a few other places in the city...it's a whole different world than a lot of people choose to see.

Oh I could say the exact same thing of Omaha. North Omaha has a high African American population and South Omaha has a high Latino population. Definitely not a "white" city. Yet it seems like the national perception is of a white cattle town.

Oh I could say the exact same thing of Omaha. North Omaha has a high African American population and South Omaha has a high Latino population. Definitely not a "white" city. Yet it seems like the national perception is of a white cattle town.

:yes: Funny how that happens, isn't it? I almost wonder if people believe that to keep an idealized version of America alive in their minds, rather than acknowledging that the country has changed and meshed together more in the past 40 years or so. :hmm:

:yes: Funny how that happens, isn't it? I almost wonder if people believe that to keep an idealized version of America alive in their minds, rather than acknowledging that the country has changed and meshed together more in the past 40 years or so. :hmm:

I've never thought of that particular explanation. I suppose it is possible as there is an American love affair with the frontier. :hmm:

To add to the discussion: There are some towns in the Midwest that are still pretty whitebread, cattle towns... Some in North and South Dakota for sure.

To add to the discussion: There are some towns in the Midwest that are still pretty whitebread, cattle towns... Some in North and South Dakota for sure.

Yeah there are towns across the country still like that though I think North and South Dakota get unfair "white" labels on the whole. South Dakota for instance has a large Native American population.

Justin :wave:

How excited is everyone for Vegas? :tapsfoot:

:hyper:

I've never thought of that particular explanation. I suppose it is possible as there is an American love affair with the frontier. :hmm:

I'm just hypothesizing, but I could see it as a latent explanation for it. Zee, there definitely are. I grew up in a town of 5,000, and it was virtually all-white. Sad, but true. And, it wasn't on purpose or anything, it's just how the town settled. But, that's why I love being in a city, because of the immense diversity of people, things, places, all of that. :up:

Yeah I lived in MN for a few years before moving out here for grad school... this is SO much different and I don't stand like I used to :lol:

I sometimes was the only non-white person in my class...

Where did you go in MN again? Really, other than the big city areas, MN is very, very white. The amount of non-white kids who went to my high school could be counted on less than both hands, for sure.

:lol: Working overnights will do that to you. :wink: I'll be here until 8am! :hyper: :crack:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom