All (RED) Zone / VIP Tickets Discussion HERE Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Birdlover thanks for the review!

I paid a little more than you (chough $350 each) but I sure hope it's worth it. This is the first time seeing the band up close and it's my girlfriend's first time seeing the band period, so I'm sure it will be special...

Was everyone pressed up against each other in the Red Zone section or was there nice space in between everyone to move and breathe? Technicalities would be nice to know about!

I will also know NOT to stand inside the taped ground section lol

Thanks again! :applaud:

I was in Red Zone 2 in Chicago. That's on Adam's side. As I did GA the night before, I knew the masses of people that would be there, and had seen signs indicating that Red Zone would have to go through the same gate as GA. NIGHTMARE potential!

So I got there about 2 hours early (3 pm) and found about 20 people in line ahead of me. I had to go to the Will Call desk inside the gate to get my ticket and wristband, then go back outside and get on the line. NICE people, great atmosphere. NO pushing or cutting ahead, unlike the GA line.

Once 5 pm arrived, we were started on our journey. Nobody really checked our bags, unlike the GA line. We were divided into RZ 1 and 2 and then led through the caverns of Soldier Field.
Once we neared the stadium's pitch we were stopped and given "THE LECTURE". A lady who could have been a drill instructor made it clear we were to WALK NOT RUN. IF YOU RUN I WILL STOP THIS LINE...put the fear of God into us, which wasn't a bad thing if you're slow on stairs like me!

Nobody cut ahead, even when I was slower than the rest (THANKS GUYS!). We got out on the pitch to a welcoming comittee of security folks who made sure we WALKED! Led into the Red Zone area, I found a spot between people I'd been talking to in line. We were right on the rail!!!
Oh, that was a magnificent feeling! We were like kids on Christmas Eve and we showed it. Made a pact to cover for each other's trips to the rest room (porta potties?!?) and other amenities.
When we did go, fellow Red Zoners helped us find our way back to our rail buddies. THANKS GUYS! I had a small Irish flag I used to help fellow fans get oriented. I recommend something like this, both during the concert and afterwards. It is very easy to lose folks in a crowd this big. (Now, don't everyone bring Irish flags or it won't work. :D)

Waiting for the show was fun, we got to trade tales of how we came to have Red Zone, some were from out of state, some out of country.
Our spot was about 1/3 from the front of the stage, or 2/3 from the rear of Red Zone, between the tape marking the spots where the bridges stopped. This is ideal as they can block your view and do sit there sometimes unoccupied.
Adam ruled our side! He strutted, he posed, and most of all, he played! We did see Bono three times, once at a dead run, once at a lope with a little boy and once actually at a walk. Edge also came by a few times. Larry came by once with his portable drum. There were times it was hard to know which way to look!:heart: Band members in every direction!

We saw the stage easily, though when the band was on the other side of the catwalk they were invisible to us. We could see the wonderful screen very nicely. The sound was LOUD!

I wore Hearos earplugs, the cheap 20db ones. I'd lost my good ones (12db) the night before. I was very happy to have them as there were 4' tall and wide woofers right in front of us! I had no hearing loss or trouble as a result.
Before the concert, keep an eye on Dallas. He went around the catwalk strumming one of Edge's guitars and threw picks to the crowd. Wish I'd caught one.

It was a marvelous way to see the best concert of my life. I almost hesitated to report on this because I just know there's going to be a lot more competition for Red Zone after these concerts. They are definitely worth the extra money! I paid $160 for mine.

If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer either on the forum or via PM.

Birdlover

Sounds like we were very close to each other. My wife and I were in Red Zone 2 for Chicago 2 about that same spot. I wonder if I saw you? :hmm:

Here are some pics I took that night. James Mikolajczyk's Photos - U2 - Chicago 2 | Facebook

As I did GA the night before, I knew the masses of people that would be there, and had seen signs indicating that Red Zone would have to go through the same gate as GA. NIGHTMARE potential!

Good review. So do RZ people have to get in line behind the GA people already in line (for hours) to get in the same gate? I'm thinking of getting there fairly late right now.

Thanks for the review, Birdlover! So excited right now! :hyper: I've been pretty sick all week (still kind of ill right now, actually) and I'm so glad I have Red Zone. It seems to have all the perks of GA without the horrible crushing and rushing.

I don't know about Birdlover, but I didn't find out what section of the RZ I'd be in until yesterday when I got the tickets and my wristbands. No mention of whether I'd be in 1 or 2 in emails either.... It was a fun surprise! I take it that means I'm on Edge's side?

I'm getting there at 3pm, when parking for the stadium opens (my info says gates open at 5.30pm for GA). Much later than I'm used to for anything GA, but I keep reminding myself I'm not competing against thousands of people, and instead probably 100 or so.

I'll post a review of the whole experience Monday morning! :wave:

Red Zone numbers

I have a question for you Birdlover :)

When you say you were divided into RZ 1 and 2, was that done by what it said on your confirmation email (and I'm assuming tickets as well)? In other words, did the RZ number you received in the email from the beginning always match your ticket and eventually which side you were placed?

Thanks! (just curious, even tho I suppose the numbers could change from venue to venue :lol: )

The number was on my confirmation email which I brought to the stadium as instructed. Yes, they matched. We got the wristband and ticket at WillCall, which showed the number on it clearly. They were also different colors (RZ 1-Red RZ 2-Lime Green).

While I thought I'd prefer Edge's side, Adam gave us such a lot of attention I changed my mind mid-show!

Birdlover

The number was on my confirmation email which I brought to the stadium as instructed. Yes, they matched. We got the wristband and ticket at WillCall, which showed the number on it clearly. They were also different colors (RZ 1-Red RZ 2-Lime Green).

While I thought I'd prefer Edge's side, Adam gave us such a lot of attention I changed my mind mid-show!

Birdlover

Thank you! I have RZ1 so I guess we'll see... I suppose the sides could differ from one venue to the next anyways, THANK YOU for the great review!! :)

Red Zone has a separate line

Good review. So do RZ people have to get in line behind the GA people already in line (for hours) to get in the same gate? I'm thinking of getting there fairly late right now.

It was up by WillCall. Everyone was well-mannered and friendly. We got to watch the front of the GA line as they we let in. It felt really good not to be in that crush again.

To answer another question: no, we weren't squashed at all. I was on the rail and had room to stretch throughout the show. There was a lot of room behind the crowd if someone needed a breather or to use a seat. Frankly, I needed a seat but couldn't bring myself to leave the rail.

Birdlover

I think we were close!

Sounds like we were very close to each other. My wife and I were in Red Zone 2 for Chicago 2 about that same spot. I wonder if I saw you? :hmm:

Here are some pics I took that night. James Mikolajczyk's Photos - U2 - Chicago 2 | Facebook

OMG! Some of those look like some of mine only better! I was wearing a Product (Red) shirt with Da(Red) on the front. Had a green fanny pack with a parrot on it. Ring a bell?

Birdlover

So here's my (brief) review of my Red Zone experience.

I already had the tickets and wristband, but there wasn't any wait at the Will Call box office anyways, so picking up tickets the day of the show wouldn't have been a problem. Originally I was in the massive GA line. I was told by about 6 workers that everyone, regardless of Red Zone or anything, would enter through the same area. Well, imagine when my surprise when my brother went to use the bathroom and came back to tell me there's a seperate entrance for Red Zone :doh: Lucky he saw it, it's tucked away on the side by the box office. Here's a picture of the entrance we had

img2304pe.jpg

Everyone was very friendly and excited, we all had each other's backs and made sure when we went through we'd get a rail spot (although it's hard to do anything but run for your life when those gates open!) It definitely got a little crazy when they let us all in (at the same time as regular GA), but a pretty easy security line to get through all in all. You show your wristband to some security then you get into your respective Zone. They're MASSIVE, by the way. So much room on the rail! Here's a quick picture I took down the rail. It's of about 1/3rd of the total rail space there is.

img2307.jpg

There was about 2 feet between us and the second row. So comfortable. They also have seats. My brother took full advantage of them.

img2309o.jpg

The show was incredible! I could see the main stage very well, and the bridges stopped on both sides of me so I got a great view of everybody as they came around. The only thing I wish is that they used the walkway more. I remember on the Vertigo tour they were always around the catwalk. Doesn't seem like they're doing as much of that this time around. But that's such a small thing to complain about. :wink: Oh! There was a guy who was pretty wasted and heckling a lot of people to my right. Yelling songs in their faces and elbowing people. Security actually came and kicked him and his equally obnoxious wife out. I've never seen that in regular GA before. Usually you just have to suffer with them.

All in all, I'd say I had a great time, and was very glad to have such a stress free GA experience. I know I probably won't be able to do the Red Zone again, but if I had the choice, I definitely would! Here's a couple quick pictures from the show. I'm going to be posting some more and a bit more detailed review in the Gillette, Sept 20th thread :D

u21e.jpg

u22.jpg

I was in RZ 2 last night...didn't arrive till just after 8PM due to traffic, was still 2nd row behind rail, with no crowding at all...great way to see the show if you don't have time or desire to do the GA camp out.
Doing it again tonight...would have liked RZ 1 one of the nights to get the perspective from both sides, but thats the only complaint, well worth it.

Thanks for the review an_cat! I can not wait until Oct 1 when U2 hits VA. How far down the rail were you? Was your view more of a side view or front of the stage. There are several of us going in RZ1 but we have to drive at different times because of work and was wondering if it would be a hassle to save spots on the rail OR behind us, if that is all possible. Did you notice if the area became more crowded when the opening act came on or later? I know each show is different.

Thanks for the review an_cat! I can not wait until Oct 1 when U2 hits VA. How far down the rail were you? Was your view more of a side view or front of the stage. There are several of us going in RZ1 but we have to drive at different times because of work and was wondering if it would be a hassle to save spots on the rail OR behind us, if that is all possible. Did you notice if the area became more crowded when the opening act came on or later? I know each show is different.

I'd say it's definitely more of a side view. I think that goes for both sections of the RZ. I got there at about 2:45pm and was about 10th in line, but ended up right in the middle of the RZ rail (I felt too sick to run, and my brother has asthma, we're definitely not gazelles, haha). I think the middle of the RZ was great. Towards the front of it and probably about 10 feet down from where I was the bridge stopped, but nobody really stopped too long there, so I wouldn't stress about having to be in front of that.

It wouldn't be a hassle at all to save spots. I went to the bathroom a few times and my brother went to sit on the chairs in the back off and on and everyone was really cool about coming back to your spot. I have to say, there were a few entitled drunk people who tried to get into my spot once, but I had a lot of people making sure I didn't get messed with :up:

It got a lot more crowded after Snow Patrol. I'd say it was only a quarter full for them, and it only got full right before U2 came on. I'd just make sure if you're holding spots that the people around you know. Hope you have a great time, tell us how it goes! :applaud:

I just wanted to say "thanks" to all of you who have posted your RedZone experiences. I'll be in RZ2 in Charlottesville next week, and am getting super excited by reading your comments.

Due to work commitments, I can't arrive in Cville til 6. Do you think I could still get a rail spot by then?

Not if it's like Chicago 2

I just wanted to say "thanks" to all of you who have posted your RedZone experiences. I'll be in RZ2 in Charlottesville next week, and am getting super excited by reading your comments.

Due to work commitments, I can't arrive in Cville til 6. Do you think I could still get a rail spot by then?

We had quite a line by the time they let us in at 5. I got rail thanks to folks I'd been in line with who were ahead of me. Take heart, there's not a lot of difference between rail and 2 or 3 rows back. Folks tend not to push, it's relaxed. I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Birdlover

I was so happy tonight after getting to the will call and opening the envelope and finally finding out which one I was in, RZ #1!!! That was a nice moment, I'm pretty sure they hadn't told me anywhere prior to this.

I was so happy tonight after getting to the will call and opening the envelope and finally finding out which one I was in, RZ #1!!! That was a nice moment, I'm pretty sure they hadn't told me anywhere prior to this.

:cute: That's great!

Are you sure though you couldn't see which RZ you were? :ohmy: I can still go to Ticketmaster right now and see mine. When you are signed in and go to your upcoming events it says right there I have won RZ1. I'm surprised if it's not the same for all the auctions. Anyways... it may not even matter to know ahead of time because isn't there the chance they can change which side is which at different venues? :hmm:

RZ2 was awesome last night...much more close up band time than Sunday night.
Definitely a great way to see a show without the hassles/time investment/crowding of GA.

I was in Red Zone 2 last night and just wanted to pass on how great it was! I ended up getting a ticket during the second auction they had last week, what a great decision that was on my part :)

From this point on I will be tempted to do Red Zone for any other stadium shows I see on this tour (or next leg). Not having to worry about getting there early and still getting a great spot is definitely worth it. It seemed the band spent a lot of time in front of Red Zone 2 last night. Bono spent a good portion of COBL an all of Your Blue Room there.

I'll have pictures later

RZ2 was awesome last night...much more close up band time than Sunday night.
Definitely a great way to see a show without the hassles/time investment/crowding of GA.

Agreed. We were a couple people off the rail right around the midpoint of RZ2, and at one point, everyone but Bono was right in front of us during the Crazy remix. Amazing spot, at an amazing price....

:cute: That's great!

Are you sure though you couldn't see which RZ you were? :ohmy: I can still go to Ticketmaster right now and see mine. When you are signed in and go to your upcoming events it says right there I have won RZ1. I'm surprised if it's not the same for all the auctions. Anyways... it may not even matter to know ahead of time because isn't there the chance they can change which side is which at different venues? :hmm:

I guess it probably did, but my ignorance made that moment all the more exciting!

Agreed. We were a couple people off the rail right around the midpoint of RZ2, and at one point, everyone but Bono was right in front of us during the Crazy remix. Amazing spot, at an amazing price....

You were probably right behind me, I was on the rail just about the middle of the section.

You were probably right behind me, I was on the rail just about the middle of the section.

We were smack dab behind two drunken basketball players and their girlfriends who all showed up right as U2 went on. Fortunately, we were standing on the metal 'ramp' that covers the cables, giving us a few extra inches of height in the event of just such an occurrence.

The bridge usually stopped about ten feet to our right, and never blocked our view of the main stage.

At $115 apiece, paid LESS THAN HALF of the cost of our Sunday fanclub seats - the deal of the century.

You were probably to my left a bit. Bridge actually blocked my view a couple of times, but everything else was great for $125 (stupid me put in a bid at $125 at auction start just to monitor it after night 1 went for $255, never figured it to stay at $115, but hey an extra 20 bucks to charity).

I think it's been mentioned before but RZ has it's own entrance into the stadium (at Gillette it did anyway). I bypassed 100's of folks who were lined up to get in. I was RZ2 for Boston1. A totally great experience except for this massively douchey guy who tried to get in front of me 1/2 through U2. I quickly took care of his sorry ass.

Alright here's my RZ Review of Gillette. We were in Red Zone 2 (Adam's side) for Sunday, and in the Circle for Monday (because we were One volunteers).

Day 1.

We arrived at the venue at about 4pm and went to will call to get our tickets. There were about 30 people already lined up at the separate RZ entrance...and probably 2000 in the GA line, no kidding. After having read how people went in at 6 and still had some rail space, we decided to go back out and tailgate for a while. After about, oh, one drink, I started to get antsy. So I convinced my girl to go with me back down to the line. We got back down at about 5:30 and the gates - originally scheduled to be open at 5 - weren't open yet. In fact, it put us at ease in the lot a little because you could still here the sound check at like 5:15. We were yet to have our best soundcheck experience, however.

At about 5:40, they opened the turnstiles. We were probably within the first 20 people in our Red Zone. We went all the way to the front of the stage - as far as we could get. One thing to be careful of here, and we learned this the hard way, DO NOT GET RAIL SPACE RIGHT IN FRONT OF SECURITY. Our guy was really nice and didn't bust our chops at all, but he was about 6'5". Two factors make it tough to see. 1. They don't move. Not at all. There are little stands on the back of the rail that box them in right where they are. 2. Because the stage camera is attached to the walkway, security has to stand very close to your rail, making them even harder to look over.

As for the show itself - great, of course. There was something a little off with the energy of the entire night that I couldn't quite put my finger on....until night 2 when they blew the fucking doors off the place. One thing that was a little odd and a little disappointing: Bono did not walk, run, crawl, or do the worm anywhere near us. If the walkway was a clock, he spent all his time between 6 and 12. We had lots of Edge, Adam, and Larry though, and the experience was fantastic. Don't get your hopes up too high and you most certainly will not be disappointed. The vantage point is pretty incredible.

Overall, Red Zone, totally worth it. When I saw my friends in there on Night 2, they were 2 back of the rail right where we were on it the night before, no one pushing or shoving them, and they went in at like 7:30. My vantage point to see them was much better than I had hoped...

Red Zone: Two enthusiastic thumbs up.

Night 2.

Volunteering for One. I won't answer questions on how I got the gig. Just will tell you that I was excited to help out - much moreso than my somewhat (okay, more than somewhat) shy girlfriend was. I'll spare you the stories from the lot - I could go on all day. Great experience meeting lots of people and pitching One to them. I'll leave that out but I'll go through the schedule of my day - which ended up being a RIDICULOUS U2 experience - sometimes accidentally.

We got to the venue at 1:45 to meet up with the other volunteers at 2. They directed us to the Employee Parking Lot, which was located behind the venue. We didn't know that we weren't supposed to go in the Employee entrance, so we did. They checked our bags and directed us to where we were supposed to go. When we walked in, we realized that we were in the tunnel. Thinking that we'd be in and out of there all day, we didn't even take our time. "Oh look, there's Paul McGuiness's office." "Yeah, and there's the band's dressing room!" Whoops. Probably should have asked the really nice gentlemen outside if the boys might be available for a photo op with a couple of One workers.... Not to be.

Anyway, we walked past the locker rooms and McGuiness's office and each band's dressing rooms, feeling pretty giddy about the day. We knew we'd be on stage later that night, but we were kind of nonchalant about it. It was cool, but it's not like I was playing Party Girl with 'em or anything. (Gonna try for that again in Vegas...unsuccessful at Gillette, despite a KICKASS sign.) I wanted to put my time in for One - it's an important organization to me and to the world. We met up with the other volunteers as they were walking into the front of the venue (Patriot Place entrance). They were shocked to see us coming from backstage.

After our first session, break time was 5pm. We went back into the venue, and the boys were on stage sound checking. On the entire pitch, there were like 40 people maybe. We walked out, but got asked to go back to the back of the field. Still, here we are, watching a private U2 show from the back of the field, and they're playing Your Blue Room like it's 9:30pm. It was something that I will never forget. Bono was commenting on the tinny sound of the venue and asking his techs to do various things. "Alright, let's do Beautiful Day into Your Blue Room again." Just sick. Full daylight. Every once in a while, when it was quiet, Edge would let off a GIANT riff from Magnificent or something. By itself, it was just amazing. I can't even begin to describe it. From silence to filling the entire stadium (and parking lot) with the flick of the wrists. Insane.

After the check was over, we went back to work. At 8:30, we were waiting for U2's coordinator for the volunteers, when I heard Space Oddity. I started getting antsy. She finally shows up while the fog is coming from the stage and The Kingdom is playing. She was super apologetic. Evidently the band was to go on about 15 minutes later than that, after we got situated. As I hear the song that I thought should have opened every show of the tour open up its first, I'm now fuming. I know we're missing something special.

After giving us all the instructions, we finally get escorted into the circle at the start of Mysterious Ways. Fourth song of the night. Glad I got to see the entire intro the night before - nothing more exciting than that first anticipation.

After about 4 minutes, my girl has to use the bathroom. They won't let us backstage now, so I have to take her about 17 miles away to the closest place. I'm jumping out of my skin. Your Blue Room. Beautiful Day. Alright, cool....but I saw those already that day so I was okay with it.

We get back for Unknown Caller. Until the End of the World was off the hook - Bono brought a girl up that I'm pretty sure I've seen on stage before to dance with him (and by herself). It was intense.

So the plan is to meet at the end of Vertigo right by the backstage entrance. We all meet there and are pooled together. The Crazy remix - which I thought SUCKED from on YouTube prior to the show - is absolutely fucking fantastic live. Now it hits me:

WE ARE GOING ON STAGE WITH U2! HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!

About 50 people are back there, bouncing and dancing and singing and throwing high fives. The energy level? Indescribable. So they finish Crazy and do Sunday Bloody Sunday - about 100x more intense than the night before, be it my state of mind or actual, does it matter? MLK. Walk On. Oh-oh-oh-u-oh-oh-oh. I'm jumping out of my skin again except now it's WAY different. The next 3 or so minutes was so much fun, and seemed to take so long, until finally we're walking with our masks in front of us. I blew a kiss to my buddy that hooked it all up, squeezed my girl's hand, and off we went.

As I walked up on stage, the crowd was singing and going bullshit crazy (it felt like, anyway), and I started looking for my friends in RZ 2. Finally I have to stop, and I haven't walked by them yet. All of a sudden I see them frantically bouncing and waving from the second row, cameras out.

My hair is standing on end, I'm singing with U2, and my girl is beaming. Looking out from that vantage point is something that I will never forget, and every time Walk On plays in my house or car or in public from now on, it might get a little dusty...

If you liked my story, and you haven't yet, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go sign up for One at ONE | Home.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom