All Grammy discussion goes here PART 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
7404308.jpg
7404311.jpg
7404314.jpg
7406731.jpg

7406734.jpg
7407554.jpg
7407549.jpg
7407551.jpg

Last edited:
Lila64 said:

Why oh why is Larry not smiling??? lol

Congratulations U2!

What do they have left to achieve? An Oscar for a movie song (you know what I mean) and what? Are there any mountains left to climb?

Absolutely brilliant.

I posted this in another thread as well, since there are so many Grammy threads floating around...

some headlines here - some are pretty funny

http://www.topix.net/entertainment?full=43f59ec355

Various headlines (go to the site for each 'story')

U2 Upstages Carey With Five Grammy ...

U2 Upstages Carey With Five Grammy Awards

U2 upstages Carey with five Grammy Awards

Carey, U2 and Kanye Win Grammy Awards

Carey, U2 and Kanye win snag Grammy Awards

Carey, Clarkson and West snag Grammys

Carey, West and Clarkson win Grammys

Carey rebounds, but U2 top of the heap

Wild, wild West wins Grammys

U2 wins a Grammy?

U2 steals Mariah's thunder

Carey's thunder stolen

U2 dominate Grammys

Carey, U2 and Kanye Win Three Grammys

Carey ends drought, but U2 owns night

Get Your Grammy Winners

Mariah Carey ends drought at Grammys

By SANDY COHEN
AP Entertainment Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Grammy night belonged to U2, but Bono and the boys recalled that hasn't always been the case.

"We've been here and lost on some of our most important albums. We've been at the other end of this, too," the U2 frontman said after the group walked away with five awards Wednesday, including the coveted album of the year trophy for "How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb."

Bono noted the group was particularly disappointed that its 1991 album, "Achtung Baby," didn't fare better. Drummer Larry Mullen said reaction to 1997's "Pop" was another disappointment.

"After the 'Pop' record, things like this actually mean something," Mullen said.

With 20 Grammys and counting, guitarist The Edge was asked if the awards certify the group as the greatest band in the world.

"I think we are tonight," he replied.

(without reading the other replies)

How is it possible to be nominated (and win) for the same album twice?

U2 already won 3 awards for HTDAAB last year, so how can they win again THIS year? I don't understand.

Isn't that like someone winning an Oscar year after year for the same movie?

AchtungBono said:
(without reading the other replies)

How is it possible to be nominated (and win) for the same album twice?

U2 already won 3 awards for HTDAAB last year, so how can they win again THIS year? I don't understand.

Isn't that like someone winning an Oscar year after year for the same movie?

The awards won last year were for the Vertigo single. It was released in time to qualify for those Grammy's. HTDAAB was not, and instead qualified for these Grammy's.

Axver said:

The awards won last year were for the Vertigo single. It was released in time to qualify for those Grammy's. HTDAAB was not, and instead qualified for these Grammy's.

Oh I see now. Thank you for your explanation.

:larry: :adam: :bono: :edge::wave: :cool:

a little quote from Bono--
The celebrations were already kicking off, added the singer. ‘There may be some Guinness involved.’

(Without reading the previous 27 pages,sorry)

I'd like to thank Larry for starting the whole ball game off by wanting to be in a band and posting that notice @ Mount Temple High School.........man,your an absolute genius.God,I love this band......

I demand that the next album be called "The Larry Mullen Jr Band".If The Beatles can do it with"Sgt.Peppers.......".Start a petition,lobby your MP,call Congress.......

Uno.dos,tres......5 Grammy's :bow:

Really enjoyed Devils And Dust

I love Gold Digger but that performance was way over the top for me

That John Legend has a very pretty voice

Gwen looks beautiful pregnant

And the Grammys definitely mean shit

Wow, just got home from work, so they won the last two also, hmmm, interesting. They are the Grammy's darlings.:wink:

Just because Paul was a Beatle doesn't mean he should win over everything else. It was a pretty decent album, but Kelly Clarkson deserved both her Grammys - good for her! I know it's not popular to like pop around here, but she had an excellent pop album, and "Since You Been Gone" was the best pop song of the last several years (with "Toxic" running a very close second).

And looks like I was the only one who dug Kanye's performance. Loved it!

I LOATHED Herbie Hancock and Christina Aguilera. Beautiful song, but she sang too many notes, and he played too many notes. A big, hot mess.

That Sly tribute was a big, hot mess as well. The only person I didn't recognize was the punk-looking guy who came out with Fantasia. Who was he? Devin something? And was that Randy Jackson playing bass?

Upon seeing Sly himself, I think we can all agree: drugs are bad, mmkay?

Ooh, and I LOVED the Gorillaz/Madonna opening number. The songs meshed perfectly in the transition, and I just go ga-ga for "Hung Up," even months later. Her 70s hair has got to go, though.

Last edited:
Irvine511 said:
[q]Another major shocker: In an interview backstage, West came on all humble about having lost album of the year. "It's all good. Because U2, those are my boys right there," said West, dapper as always in a lavender Yves Saint-Laurent suit and white leather gloves. "U2 deserves it."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/08/AR2006020802027.html

[/q]

ironicly enough i have the exact same suit in my closet

i wear it when i go to the discotheque to listen to the village people

and in a side note, did anyone else notice the caption on the picture on that link?

larry just gets no respect :lol:

I liked the look the big Grammy honcho gave to Larry/U2 when Larry got cut off. Kind of an "ooh, don't kill me" grimace when he acknowledged he got cut off.

^:( You're right!

Another thing that was extremely awkward was the whole Linkin Park, Jay-Z, McCartney Numb/Encore/Yesterday mix. THE weirdest portion of the show. McCartney and Yesterday deserved a much better spotlight!!!!

Headache in a Suitcase said:

ironicly enough i have the exact same suit in my closet

i wear it when i go to the discotheque to listen to the village people

really? i only wear my white gloves when i'm challenging another gentleman to a duel. i usually initiate such a duel by slapping him in the face with something white.

you know, like gloves.

and it is always fun to cross swords with another lad.

ahem.

Back
Top Bottom