All complaints about the setlist HERE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The indoor stage was lack luster on Vertigo. Elevation stage with light curtains. This tour staging is probably the best they have ever done. I have made no bones about either of those things. My problem with this tour is purely the setlist pacing/choices. Setlist pacing and the tour production are two different things, I'm not sure why they are trying to be lumped together to, again, try to belittle or give the impression that people are full of crap with their opinions.

But the way your coming across, just because the setlist doesnt flow well for you, then it doesnt flow well for everyone, and thats just not the case, its like your trying to belittle the peoples opinions who do like it, which is unfair.

And people say that the ones who enjoy the setlist try and ram opinions down peoples throats? some people have really lost touch with all reality, just because you dont like certain things you decide that everyone shouldnt like it and it should be changed,

why do so many people feel the need to stamp their feet so loudly with "i am not going to see the current incarnation because i dont like it" and then hope they change it just suit their own tastes? what so to hell with people who do like it? i always get slammed for defending the band, but maybe its just i get frustrated when people cant just understand that other people like different things.

I have NEVER said I wont see them. In fact I have said the exact opposite quite frequently. I'm still looking forward to seeing them and I always will. They are the best live band on the planet. I think I have made my point as far as what I dislike pretty clear and none of that makes me less of a fan or not want to see them. Even if the setlist was absolute complete crap (and its not at that level currently) I would still go see U2. It would still be better than 99% of the concerts out there.

Hey, if someone likes the setlist I think thats great. I'm not telling them not to. But I have right to my opininion that it has problems. I have never said or even implied that someone that likes it is trying to ram their view down my throat. I wish I shared their viewpoint, I really do. I have been on that side of it for most tours in fact. I cannot help my feeling on this tour. I wish I felt different.

I can deal with most of the flow with the exception of IALW. For me that is the biggest downer ever, I can only imagine how much worse it is now with Miss Sarajevo following it.

But the way your coming across, just because the setlist doesnt flow well for you, then it doesnt flow well for everyone, and thats just not the case, its like your trying to belittle the peoples opinions who do like it, which is unfair.

When have I belittled someones opinion on that?? Most of the time I'm defending a barrage of derogatory remarks at me. All I have said is that I'm definately not alone in my opinion about the setlist currently.

Sorry blue room the not going thing wasnt directed at you,

I really havent got a problem with people not liking the setlist etc, but its when people put it across that because they dont like it, it should all be changed just to suit their own tastes.

When have I belittled someones opinion on that?? Most of the time I'm defending a barrage of derogatory remarks at me. All I have said is that I'm definately not alone in my opinion about the setlist currently.

But the people who do like it arent alone in their opinions, its a 2 way street.

Why, because you happen to like those better than these?

Yes, I think the setlists on the Zoo Tour, Popmart tour, Elevation tour and Vertigo tour had much better flows and thought out transitions over this tour. Were they perfect, no. But in comparison, for me, it is like Night and Day. As I said, I have never really been a setlist complainer until this tour.

But the people who do like it arent alone in their opinions, its a 2 way street.

Definately, probably most of the audience are just happy to see U2. I'm happy to see them also. I have never said someone was wrong for liking the current setlist. Quite honestly I don't think I have even implied it. If I did, its not how I meant it to come out.

The indoor stage was lack luster on Vertigo. Elevation stage with light curtains. This tour staging is probably the best they have ever done. I have made no bones about either of those things. My problem with this tour is purely the setlist pacing/choices.

100% agree:applaud:

:up: Just looked back at the posts since yesterday and read this. I'm glad another long time fan see's and hears it also. Very well put. I don't think we are alone on this view. I agree with 99% of what you are saying. (I sort of like the Glastonbury song), otherwise I agree completely. Thanks for your post. :)

could not agree more with both of you. On a more personal note: the sad thing is that I lost interest in U2 for a big part which is kinda sad(for me) after a life filled with this wonderfull band. I never thought I would write this but to me they have lost it..
Having watched 3 shows this tour and the magic (for me) isnt there. off course I still get the goosebumps hearing the streets intro but....

A bit of reflection. Looking back it all started with the (IMHO) very mediocre HTDAAB. After the huge succes of Vertigo which was whether you like the song or not the record came out. While others were estatic ('best record ever, it beats Joshua and Achtung' and, sorry, all that crap I just couldnt get into the record like i used ot with other records and where other U2 records allways revealed something new, even after 100 listens, I put the record on the shelf after 20 listens and have never touched the cd untill december last year when my wife and I moved. Then the tour came. WONDERFULL surprises with the boy songs, great transitions in the set and an overall feel that this was a fanfuckingtastic tour. The stage wasnt all that but who cares. U2 ruled my musicworld again and allthough there were some little slipp ups (pride into streets for instance and the incredibly lame idea of playing vertigo TWICE!) it was a great tour. Skip a couple of years

When i heared the news that U2 were in the studio with Eno in the north of africa recording some sort of experimental record I felt like a little kid again. Eager to find anything new etc.

then came Get on your boots. no hit no buzz nothing.
NLOTH came out and the whole greatest record ever BS in here started again. I really started thinking, am I missing the point? Is this perfection without me noticing it. The record itself didnt do so well for a U2 record but we all know that sales doesnt say too much when someone like B Spears sold 10 million copies of air. Then the tour came and I can honestly say that where before U2 concerts were almost like some relgious experience these were nice nights out. For me as a long time fan it feels like a loss when U2 concerts are a nice night of instead of feeling like the best sex ever if you know what i mean. I do not understand the choices the band makes anymore and it frustrates me enough to write it down here as a goodbye knowing that some people will make comments that will hurt my feelings without them probalby knowing it.

I wish I felt different but thats the way things go I guess.

in other words; thank you for the great discussions. lets not overdramatize :) Love and peace for all:heart:

:wave:

And people say that the ones who enjoy the setlist try and ram opinions down peoples throats? some people have really lost touch with all reality, just because you dont like certain things you decide that everyone shouldnt like it and it should be changed,

why do so many people feel the need to stamp their feet so loudly with "i am not going to see the current incarnation because i dont like it" and then hope they change it just suit their own tastes? what so to hell with people who do like it? i always get slammed for defending the band, but maybe its just i get frustrated when people cant just understand that other people like different things.

this a forum where people voice their personal opinions. My personal opinion, is that after seeing U2 30+ times, this is the first time ever where I am not going to do everything in my power to go see them. The setlist, is for me, the worst they have ever done.

I never said I am not going to see this show (i already have 3 times), but that I am not traveling and paying lots of money as I have in the past. As bad as this show currently is comparative to past U2 shows, its still U2 and if they come to Atlanta I will be there. I just think its gotten to the point that I would not travel to see it. I said, I hope the show gets much better from my perspective (yes, my personal opinion is how I judge the show), so that I would be as excited about past shows and willing to travel to see them. I had a blast the past almost 20 years doing so.

As for the "to hell with everyone else" comment (which i never insinuated anything like that), is there anyone who thinks that this show works great, and they have a well thought out show/setlist/ flow- in light of what they have done in the past? Would any of those that do really like is as is, really suddenly not like it if these issues were addressed? I think the answer would be no. I have said many times, that they could make this show much better by changing 3 songs, and just changing the order- resulting in some wonderful transitions (that they have always historically done so well), and making the whole show so much better. Its not like I am asking them to play my favorite 25 songs and the hell with everyone else, in fact I am not asking them to do anything- just stating my opinion.

In the end, U2 has been so great for so long as a live band, that they are their own worst enemy. They may never be able to top themselves, but the sad part to me, is it looks like they have quit trying.

I find this setlist talk for the 360 interesting. I don't think we argued this much during the Vertigo tour, no?

I just find it hard to believe that this is the best U2 can come up with for the biggest stage in rock n roll history.

I'll spare everyone a long rant, but my biggest problem with their sets this decade is that as the tours progress, the changes the band make are always to bring back old standards at the expense of the few new, fresh moments in the show.

Examples: I was ecstatic to see Electric Co, An Cat Dubh, Zoo Station, Ultraviolet, etc. all make appearances in a set. But why is it that these songs never survive the full tour and each time they're dropped it's songs like New Year's Day and Pride that re-surface?

Maybe the band should just give up?, they really cannot please everybody now, and no matter what something they do will always seem as if they have given up trying to some people,

as much as i loathe stand up comedy, i agree with this. crazy is downright embarrassing, especially coming from 50 year old men, that have written some of the greatest rock songs ever.

you guys are nuts.. Crazy remix is great live.. having experienced it 10 times last year. Have you seen it live? It's nowhere near the same as seeing it live compared to a dvd.

you guys are nuts.. Crazy remix is great live.. having experienced it 10 times last year. Have you seen it live? It's nowhere near the same as seeing it live compared to a dvd.

And actually provides a great transition into SBS imo, but hey what do i know.

KUEF, I think this thread isn't for you. I don't agree with a lot of what's being said, but I don't feel like anyone is forcing their opinions down my throat.

It makes me sad that a lot of fans are disappointed with this tour, but I really don't see how anyone's doing the things you think are being done in the thread.

If it upsets you that much to hear how people are disappointed, don't read the thread. Just continue being happy with the tour and don't let it bother you.

Maybe the band should just give up?, they really cannot please everybody now, and no matter what something they do will always seem as if they have given up trying to some people,

Nah, I'm sure the people who absolutely love IALW and didn't like NLOTH and UC are absolutely loving this new 2010 setlist. :wink:

How can you take out Ultraviolet and/or Unforgettable Fire out of the setlist? Those are the staple songs on the 360 tour. Ok Unforgettable Fire was taken out for the first time yesterday and Ultraviolet was added back into the setlist. How about removing HMTMKMKM from the set. That song needs to be saved for the next U2 tour. Why not use Zoo Station for the claw? It would work out with the stage and lighting. Until the End of the World that song does not work with the claw. Also the setlist is more based on songs from 1991 to the present.

Preferred songs to mix it up with the audience or play the rest of 2010.

Soon
Stingray
Beautiful Day
I Will Follow - hasn't been played on the 360 tour.
Boots
Magnificent
Even Better Than the Real Thing - hasn't been played since Elevation tour first leg somewhere on the West Coast Seattle/Vancouver
Mysterious Ways
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For/New Years Day
Glastonbury
In a Little While (Full Band version) or Tryin To Throw Your Arms Around the World
The Unforgettable Fire
City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (remix) - snipet Discotheque
Sunday Bloody Sunday/Pride/The Fly
MLK
Walk On
One/Amazing Grace
Where the Streets Have No Name,
Zoo Station
Ultraviolet
With or Without You/Mysterious Ways could be added here if not add Bad or All I Want Is You
Crazy (Full Band version)
Moment of Surrender

I've never been really super vocal about the setlists. But really this leg is looking like an all-time low in that regard. No NLOTH and UC, Crazy remix is barely even a song (it's more akin to Lemon remix from Popmart aka laziness)...but yet MW continues to make the cut, and Bono is into his 4th straight tour of mailing in WOWY. At least put PITNOL back in...they at least sounded like they gave a crap when they were still playing that.

And how about rotatiing the nightly acousta-doodle, does it have to always be IALW?

It's weird though, by the time this thing is over they'll have done 3 straight years of touring (not continuous of course, but 3 years in a row). Curious what next year's setlists will look like.

How about any of these combos

-Stingray into Even Better Than The Real Thing
-Stingray into I Will Follow (Edge has the right guitar for it) if they are going to open with a warhorse, make it a fast paced hit you right away warhorse. Still would not be my favorite but miles better than the slow B. Day intro. I can see the crowd jumping up and down immediately when Edge hits the opening chords.
-Stingray into No Line On The Horizon (play it like the album with the band launching right in) *This would be my pick if I could pick for them.
-Stingray into HMTMKMKM

Any of these would work better to me.

Eh, I'm tired of this. I think we just need to have a meeting with the band and work this thing out! :wink:

yep. all three times it brought the show to a screeching halt. no one knew what it was, and lots of confused looks. I was also right in the middle of the inner circle all three times. by the end of the song they get the audience back somewhat only to kill the momentum again with the overt political theme (which as a theme i have no problem with), that has zero connection with the song. it is beyond forced and sooo bad- it's embarrassing. They go from house club dance song about letting loose and going crazy, to oppression of muslim women, literally in the matter of a minute. It is so beyond ridiculous on every level. Easily the stupidest, forced live u2 moment i have ever seen (and then its followed with the 2nd worst in the Walk On- political rally where U2 parodies themselves to the fullest possible extent).

i saw three 360 shows, with 10 different friends, and heard after every show - what the hell was the dance thing in the middle? :shrug:

i'm really glad a lot of people like, but i don't go to u2 shows, to see them do a cover of a cover of one of their own songs (which is exactly what that version is).

The only thing I can agree with you about Crazy Tonight is the odd transition into SBS, pace-wise (although I do dig the musical transition between the remix and the Arabic singing, and it's not about oppression of Muslim women, they're focusing on the election protests - which makes me then wonder if they'll keep that going, since it's now been two years since that all went on).

Everything else ... I think you're nuts! (and I mean that in the nicest way possible) :wink:

Eh, I'm tired of this. I think we just need to have a meeting with the band and work this thing out! :wink:

:lol:

I don't agree with all of what you've been saying in the thread, but I do agree about the intro/opening song.

How about any of these combos

-Stingray into Even Better Than The Real Thing
-Stingray into I Will Follow (Edge has the right guitar for it) if they are going to open with a warhorse, make it a fast paced hit you right away warhorse. Still would not be my favorite but miles better than the slow B. Day intro. I can see the crowd jumping up and down immediately when Edge hits the opening chords.
-Stingray into No Line On The Horizon (play it like the album with the band launching right in) *This would be my pick if I could pick for them.
-Stingray into HMTMKMKM

Any of these would work better to me.

Or Gone, or boots, or until the end... Pretty much anything would be better than it is now.

The only thing I can agree with you about Crazy Tonight is the odd transition into SBS, pace-wise (although I do dig the musical transition between the remix and the Arabic singing).

Everything else ... I think you're nuts! :wink:

that's cool. i get that people like the remix (i hate club/dance remixes in general), so i just can't stand the song. Its hard for me to fathom hardcore u2 fans liking it, or u2 actually doing it. It so far from what they have been their entire career (and no on its not like discotheque- except for about 1 min towards the end of the song). If they did the visuals, and all the other stuff, with a rocking version of Discotheque or Mofo i would love it. It's simply the song I can't get past.

It's funny - I've been pretty meh about their remixes in general throughout the years, but I've really liked almost all of them from the new album. I don't know why I love the CT remix so much, but I just absolutely do.

It seems to be a definite love it or hate it kind of thing - although most people I've talked to (mainly on the site here) love it.

Back
Top Bottom