Album 13 Talk: Let's keep it civil.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Irvine...this may stir up some conversation on here...

Larry is putting out some serious bad vibes - see the link below to the Mike Peters-Alarm tribute. Adam looks pretty uncomfortable and Larry (an actor) isn't acting positive at all for a birthday tribute.

VIDEO: U2 Pays Tribute to Mike Peters & The Alarm

Like most of you out there, I too have loved and invested a lot in this band and feel they really need to lighten up and just start releasing their work and enjoy the position they are in. They will always be big and people will always want to see them. But this is no way to treat your fan base (aka "the people who have given you a great life.")

Look at other elder statesmen bands like Simple Minds - as I really admire how they still tour, blog their thoughts and aspirations, release music (of varying degrees of quality) and generally seem to just enjoy being artists with a rich history/playing live. Why can't U2 do something like this??? Bono, call your old friend Jim Kerr. He may not beat you on the charts these days but he seems to be beating you in approach.

This is getting ridiculous. Most stores now don't even carry U2 on their shelves. Crummy knock-offs Coldplay are wiping the floor with U2 and Bono thinks they are buds and seeks out their advice.

Whatever happened to "we might lose some of the pop kids but we don't need them" or the U2 that claimed to aspire to "abuse their position and f*ck up the mainstream"???

This band is turning into a joke. Get off your high horse and get on with it while you can breathe. Edge wake up, Adam speak up, and Larry and Bono get over yourselves...

Sorry, I feel much better now. :hyper:

That 's exactly what I mean. Look at your old friends Simple Minds! Keep in touch with your fanbase! I've been a fan since 30 years now, but I can assure you it is the most boring period in u2 ' s career. Even thoug OL and Invisible are decent songs imo.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using U2 Interference mobile app

As a seventeen year old who has become a major fan of U2 within the past year, if NLOTH was U2's last album, I will be incredibly disappointed. I've never been to a U2 show before or even been a part of a new album anticipation period, and I was hoping to experience a new release sometime last fall, then this spring, then summer, and now who the hell knows when. They search for relevance while pushing away and upsetting even those most dedicated in the fan base; it is beyond ridiculous. Still, as frustrated as I am with this whole ordeal, I eagerly await ANY new music from them and have hope for a possibly great album, no matter how delusional that may be.

Even though my crystal ball says that there not be another album I do still think there will be another tour.

I do think there will be another album. Because even if they are thinking they might not be able to put out another album, I do think they will still want to tour. And they've been vocal about the idea of not wanting to tour just for the sake of touring.

So I think for the sake of a tour, they will put out an album. Eventually.

Anybody know of any possible opportunities to interview the band coming up? (Public appearances, gallery openings, radio chats etc) Just so they can tell us any new info (if there is any)

As a seventeen year old who has become a major fan of U2 within the past year, if NLOTH was U2's last album, I will be incredibly disappointed. I've never been to a U2 show before or even been a part of a new album anticipation period, and I was hoping to experience a new release sometime last fall, then this spring, then summer, and now who the hell knows when. They search for relevance while pushing away and upsetting even those most dedicated in the fan base; it is beyond ridiculous. Still, as frustrated as I am with this whole ordeal, I eagerly await ANY new music from them and have hope for a possibly great album, no matter how delusional that may be.

Don't worry odds are we get a new album

welcome aboard

mobo

but i still beleive these guys can get a good plus album done (at some point)

Me too, Dazzled...that's what makes it all the more frustrating. They probably have a great album (or 4) mixed but it has to be crapped out by this U2-slug, a commercially-obsessed machine too wrapped up in its own ego to think about their loyal fan base or they opportunity the world has set up for them.

I mean are they doing it for the money now or do they actually have something to communicate to the world, or at least the dwindling millions of loyal U2 fans, that want to hear their music???

They should be like "hell yeah, here's our latest - take it or leave it" - and comment about the mostly garbage popular music out there, and how there needs to be more rock music out there for the masses - but that might offend someone and politically-correct U2 cant have that[/B].

Rubbish.

I really am starting to feel better when I rant. Thanks! :applaud:

Anybody know of any possible opportunities to interview the band coming up? (Public appearances, gallery openings, radio chats etc) Just so they can tell us any new info (if there is any)

They have an opportunity every day to tell us something and they don't.

Remember in that interview last year when Lanois said he'd catch up with Dangermouse in a year or so and swap stories? Well it's been nearly a year.
Would LOVE to be a fly on the wall for that conversation...

OK, re: the "damning" video of Larry, since when has Larry been dancing around or megawatt smiling in the background in any of these types of "congrats" videos? Maybe he was having a bad day. Maybe he had a cold. Maybe that's just Larry (<- my theory). Adam seemed pretty laid back too, why is no one talking about him!? :shifty:

I just gotta say, Mike Peters is awesome! I knew nothing about him until seeing him at a Big Country concert last year (one of the highlights of my life), replacing Stuart, and he was full of genuine warmth.

It's nice to see Larry taking a little of the heat/blame these days, instead of that poor Bono getting so much shit for everything. ;)

Me too, Dazzled...that's what makes it all the more frustrating. They probably have a great album (or 4) mixed but it has to be crapped out by this U2-slug, a commercially-obsessed machine too wrapped up in its own ego to think about their loyal fan base or they opportunity the world has set up for them.

I mean are they doing it for the money now or do they actually have something to communicate to the world, or at least the dwindling millions of loyal U2 fans, that want to hear their music???

They should be like "hell yeah, here's our latest - take it or leave it" - and comment about the mostly garbage popular music out there, and how there needs to be more rock music out there for the masses - but that might offend someone and politically-correct U2 cant have that[/B].

Rubbish.

I really am starting to feel better when I rant. Thanks! :applaud:

:lol: you're welcome

Yes I partially agree that they should be a little less "bound to" commercial stardards. I kind of get the relevancy idea, but I wonder if they put out something they really have love for.......sometimes when you- as a Creative Person- are passionate about your work..... People will be attracted to that.

I (IMHO) do think they really liked and loved a bunch of stuff on NLOTH. I will always wonder whether MgG got them too hooked into BIG Sales = greatness/?relevancy. ( I happen to love NLOTH)

As a various 2D & 3D visual art artist who's had a more terrrible time than not pursuiung (certain types of) my art in the past 15 yrs vs a much more productive 25 yrs previous I feel for them.
I know my talent hasn't run out-- i've come up with occasional things that are as exciting to me as ever and pursuing a new approach/"medium" in one stream of creativity. That one has taken me a few years to get going on it, but ideas are flowing.
I also have reccent or really new stuff for my more long-tme approaches as well. Plus some older stuff to rework/revise.

I guess I'm sooo busy with that and some other things that I'm looking very much forward to an album, but not standing "by the record store."

And I must say I feel that long-time loyal fans/ or serious newer fans.... "shouldn't" write them off/, walk away.

I do know that's tricky for people who want to time their work vacations around seein =them in a few locations some farther away...that maybe my "diconect" part as I only go to maybe one other city (well, I count Giants Stadium as part of NYC :lol:) like Philly other than nyc.

Enjoy other bands you enjoy/love and keep an ear peeled out for these guys getting something done- when ever it shows up.

U2 could do much better. There are no (physical) releases. If the album is delayed, why not release some other material. U2 3d by example, remastered Rattle and hum, a dvd of the goodwell speeches from Bono and tributes to other bands.
Another example for u2. Manic street preachers release a new album, a year after their last album.

Larry has been looking especially miserable since they started their promo activity for Ordinary Love and Invisible. There's a lot of speculation on fan boards going on, but I guess there's no real chance we can know for sure what's going on. It could be anything. Or nothing at all.

But yes, and I feel sad saying that because I'm usually one of the more positive people around here, but I feel something serious has happened in U2 land and I tend to think that we won't get a new album anytime soon or even never at all. I'd very much love to be proven wrong, though.

Manic street preachers release a new album, a year after their last album.

:up: They're a bit different though, music is still very much a passion for them and so they've been prolific in the past 7 years whilst every member of U2 is constantly occupied with other commitments/events/what have you etc.

Even though my crystal ball says that there not be another album I do still think there will be another tour.

I don't think so. There will be a new album or there wont be a new tour (at least not in the near future). I don't think U2 are at that point yet. If there is another album (and I think there will be, someday.....), it may be there last and that is when the next tour will occur. We all knew the day was/is coming, I did not think it would be this soon though. Maybe it wont be, but not looking good right now.

Regarding Larry in the Alarm tribute video. When has Larry looked consistantly happy at any point in U2's career? Almost never. He is a semi-shy guy with an attitude. He always has been. At least they are still all together. They all did not have to be there to do that tribute.

I don't think so. There will be a new album or there wont be a new tour (at least not in the near future). I don't think U2 are at that point yet. If there is another album (and I think there will be, someday.....), it may be there last and that is when the next tour will occur. We all knew the day was/is coming, I did not think it would be this soon though. Maybe it wont be, but not looking good right now.

Regarding Larry in the Alarm tribute video. When has Larry looked consistantly happy at any point in U2's career? Almost never. He is a semi-shy guy with an attitude. He always has been. At least they are still all together. They all did not have to be there to do that tribute.

Good points. My thought is that there may be a reunion tour down the road to celebrate their career. Maybe in 5 years or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom