Album 13 Talk: Insert cori .gif Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder, will Invisible still be on the new album?

Would it make sense to include a song that's been around for a year on your album?

Then again, nothing else about this LP13 era has made much sense.

I wonder, will Invisible still be on the new album?

Would it make sense to include a song that's been around for a year on your album?

Then again, nothing else about this LP13 era has made much sense.

Who knows? But I reckon it will be a bonus track, a la TGBHF.
At best the song will be 9 months old when the album comes out.

Who knows? But I reckon it will be a bonus track, a la TGBHF.
At best the song will be 9 months old when the album comes out.

OH yeah, I kept thinking Invisible came out last November, but that was Ordinary Love. HOPEFULLY the album doesn't come out when Invisible is a year old! DAYAMN!!!

giphy.gif

OH yeah, I kept thinking Invisible came out last November, but that was Ordinary Love. HOPEFULLY the album doesn't come out when Invisible is a year old! DAYAMN!!!

Correction: hopefully the new album doesn't come out after Invisible is more than a year old, likely though that scenario is.

Depends on which conspiracy theory we want to beLIEve.

A) They lost the Oscar and Bono panicked. Wanted more relevancy, etc.

Even in Bono's (sometimes strange) little world, I doubt that the Oscars equal "relevance", especially for a song that hadn't been written for the album and more especially given the fact that they simply knew they weren't going to win.

The Coldplay scenario makes a bit more sense to me, they are clearly more "relevant" and popular right now than U2 have been in the last couple of years. Still, I'm underwhelmed with the new Coldplay album. As for U2, it's ridiculous to talk about relevancy if you release two songs with lots of hype and then decide to go into hiding again with no more new music in sight. I don't keep my hopes up for a release 2014. Something smells very foul about the whole thing and I wonder if we'll ever get to know they real reason why they turned away from an almost finished Danger Mouse produced album.

How are they going to be relevant to people who have the attention span of goldfish and listen to garbage when they can't even keep us (the crazy die-hards) happy? They're losing us. I hate feeling this way but I do.

How are they going to be relevant to people who have the attention span of goldfish and listen to garbage when they can't even keep us (the crazy die-hards) happy? They're losing us. I hate feeling this way but I do.

Someone they respect should tell them that a) casting their net for the 18-30 market is an exercise in abject futility, and by doing so they risk b) their core fanbase (of which there must be a good 3m at least) shrugging their shoulders and moving on. Maybe Paul McG tried to convey this to them, and they quietly moved him "upstairs" in favor of a new manager who will happily entertain their fancies. Who knows? I suppose it's ironic that The Rolling Stones - the very band U2 probably fear of becoming - were more productive and maybe even more relevant at a same stage of their career (two albums and two tours in their early to mid-fifties, in comparison to U2's zero).

Someone they respect should tell them that a) casting their net for the 18-30 market is an exercise in abject futility, and by doing so they risk b) their core fanbase (of which there must be a good 3m at least) shrugging their shoulders and moving on. Maybe Paul McG tried to convey this to them, and they quietly moved him "upstairs" in favor of a new manager who will happily entertain their fancies. Who knows? I suppose it's ironic that The Rolling Stones - the very band U2 probably fear of becoming - were more productive and maybe even more relevant at a same stage of their career (two albums and two tours in their early to mid-fifties, in comparison to U2's zero).

Yep. The worst thing you can do is to surround yourself with yes men/women.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using the U2 Interference Mobile app

Nah, most likely is still a Q4 release because they believe in the old model of holiday sales.

agreed- November album release to catch the Xmas sales...even more likely given the perception that NLOTH flopped with a spring release

"Spider-man 2: turn off the dark. Again."

As an aside carney's not a bad band at all. I thought reeve carney was slated to be in a biopic about Jeff Buckley.

Well, Voodoo Lounge and Bridges To Babylon did not set the rock world on fire. Unfortunately for the Stones, those albums were labled as promotions for the tour rather than the other way around as it should have been. Bono's father told him that being in U2 back in 1979 was an exercise in abject futility. For most people who try to start a band, it is indeed. So that has been the history of U2. People tell them they can't do something and that's what they want to do. They like the challenge. In all probability they will probably be dismissed by the 18-30 crowd, but there is nothing wrong in trying in your own way to create good music that is popular with all ages. The long length of the last tour is part of why this album has taken so long to put out.

There is no songwriting formula that ensures global acceptance. Trying to please everyone is just a ridiculously dumb idea. At the risk of sounding obnoxious, I point to Mr. Bob Dylan, who was pretty much excommunicated from his beloved folk community, the community which made him famous, when he followed his muse and went all surreal and electric. To this day, Like A Rolling Stone is the top 5 song, if not the #1 best, on almost every "top 100 songs of all time" list. What would Like A Rolling Stone have sounded like if he tried to appease everyone? It wouldn't have had the same impact. The sound just had an "it" factor that worked. I don't ever remember reading anywhere that Dylan set out to make that song the greatest song of all time. It wasn't until it was recorded and upon listening back everyone, including Dylan, realized what they had. These things happen almost by accident. A hit is just a hit because it has something you can't put your finger on. I look also to one of my fave bands Depeche Mode. The song Enjoy the Silence was originally a slow ballad sung by Martin Gore, not Dave Gahan the lead singer. They fucked around with it in the studio, because someone (Alan Wilder) had a crazy idea it would sound good with a "disco" beat. And Eureka, it worked, to the amazement of everyone. They knew it was a hit, and it was. Why? Because it just had something unspoken to it that everyone dug. These are how the best hit songs get made. Most of the time, they just happen. If U2 wants to wait around for decades for that hit song to come around, then maybe they should. If they're not inspired, I'd rather they stop recording and go off and read some books and try their hands at something other than music. When the muse strikes again, that's when they'll get a huge hit. Of course they will be 90 years old by that point. But hey, it will probably beat any piece of crap of they're desperately trying to shine these days.

Forgive me for not paying much attention to the band lately (can you really blame me for that, though?) but has there been any news/interviews/tidbits from any band members in the recent past? And by recent past I mean last 2 or 3 months?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using U2 Interference mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom