Album 13: Mirror mirror on the wall, there's no album so let's just talk y'all

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Exactly, and even if they did, it wouldn't count unless it's a departure these people wanted.

Nobody would expect them to make a drastic change, but the Flaming Lips and Paul Weller have done it recently, and they're in their 50s, so it wouldn't be unprecedented.

It's more likely they'll go the Bowie route though and muck about with what they've already done, which will be fine as long as the sounds are good. Bowie did a great job of mining his past, mainly because he didn't focus on one era. If U2 did that it would be nice to hear bits of War up against Pop, for instance. Not that this happen...

It's interesting how when U2 went back to listen to what inspired them before Bomb and The Record That Will Never Come Out they made music that sounded nothing like Boy (or Television, Patti Smith, or Bowie), but sounded a hell of a lot like a record company accountant's idea of what U2 should sound like.

Bono's got to lose the shades and leathers. Dress like a normal person. Dress well, but like a normal person. He looks like an aged rock star, and that doesn't help anyone be relevant.

The other guys look fine. Who cares about what they wear, unless Edge is wearing a mic on his head like a ponce.

Why the fuck are we talking about hair, clothes, microphones and makeup?

Did I walk into a knitting circle forum?

And who wants their rock stars to look and dress normal?

Seriously, this place needs some new music before you all turn into blue haired women in rocking chairs.

I really think this is a hoax, but as always, I would love to be wrong. If it's a hoax, two thumbs up to whoever did this. Looks really cool. :applaud:

Seriously, this place needs some new music before you all turn into blue haired women in rocking chairs.

aerosmith-2.jpg

:up::up::up:

embrace their age.. Neil Young looks old. He also looks cool as fuck. Pearl Jam.. same story.

leave the dyes, and tight leather behind.. stay fit, dress well, but dont try and sell yourself as 33, if you're 53

sincerely,
an aging, balding fan.

Yes to some of that, but not all. Edge needs to rock the bare skull and grey beard in a bad way.
drool.gif
Bono can keep dyeing his hair if he must, the Glastonbury hair was superb and he needs to drop the leathers approximately NEVER. What's he going to wear, Dockers? He was in better shape this winter than any time on 360 (and probably Vertigo) so showing that off this the right thing to do. :yes:

PS, we are talking about this because they are rock stars. How they look matters. Neil Young has worn the don't give a fuck look for 40 years, but that's not what U2 does.

Why the fuck are we talking about hair, clothes, microphones and makeup?

Did I walk into a knitting circle forum?

Bono looks like a fucking tool, that's why. I'm sick of looking at the guy.

You need new music fast so you stop going through the back pages looking for things to comment on. :sexywink:

Yes to some of that, but not all. Edge needs to rock the bare skull and grey beard in a bad way.
drool.gif
Bono can keep dyeing his hair if he must, the Glastonbury hair was superb and he needs to drop the leathers approximately NEVER. What's he going to wear, Dockers? He was in better shape this winter than any time on 360 (and probably Vertigo) so showing that off this the right thing to do. :yes:

PS, we are talking about this because they are rock stars. How they look matters. Neil Young has worn the don't give a fuck look for 40 years, but that's not what U2 does.

Bono + leather = YES PLEASE NOW. I'd be okay with Edge letting the goatee/beard grey out, but Bono needs to dye his hair to match the leather ensemble. And Larry never ages so it's not worth discussing. :lol::lol:

Adam needs to rock whatever he wore for 360. That white ensemble was perfection. :drool:
Especially when wet. He was shirtless and looked FABULOUSLY FIT for someone in their 50s. He ain't your grandpa, that's for sure!

re: image

It's not something anyone would necessarily give a shit about on a personal level, it's just very much on the topic of 'what U2 should do if they want to be relevant'. Personally, the image doesn't matter to me either way, I'm all about the music. But if you're trying to appeal to younger people (or the larger, more superficial poppy crowd) about the worst thing you could do is appear like the 50 year old mid-life criss dude at the bar trying to pick up college aged chicks.

There is a serious element of cringeworthiness to it.

But yeah, I don't really care, it's just that U2 should, if they want to do what they're trying to do.

You might as well ask "who wants to listen to music from rock musicians they can actually relate to?"

"Nobody wants to hear the musical equivalent of a combover." is a great sentence.

The only thing I really disagree with is calling U2 a nostalgia act. I hate that term and wouldn't really use it to describe anyone. It's just a way to write off older artists, and it's a lazy way to say that their work isn't that good any more.

I thought this was a really great article:

Fluxblog » Blog Archive » All Those Frozen Days

And by "great," I mean "I pretty much agree with everything in it."

:up: Yep.

“Invisible” is a pretty good U2 song, but it’s very obviously the sound of a band hedging their bets and desperately hoping that being familiar is enough to inspire excitement in their audience. This strategy paid off in 2000 when they released “Beautiful Day” after a decade of fairly arty material, but it makes no sense now. If they’re going to recycle a strategy from their past, it has to be the Achtung Baby gamble. They need to make a record that sounds distinct and uncompromising. It has to be something that sounds like them being “hey, we’re all over 50 and we’ve got tons of hits and we don’t give a fuck anymore, we’re gonna do whatever we want.”

They need to stop sounding desperate for approval, it is very unattractive. No one wants to hear the musical equivalent of a combover.

U2 is in danger of becoming the dad who tries to act and dress cool for his teenage daughter's friends, and they laugh at him when he leaves the room.

Yup.

Most of NLTOH sounded like a band of 50 year olds, and it sounded natural. I don't get that with Invisible, though I like it more than about half of the last album.

Passengers era Bono had the right idea. He dressed like a man who knew he was a fantastically wealthy rock star and genuinely did not give a fuck how he looked. Maybe it was an image he carefully crafted with an army of Italian stylists, but it didn't appear that way. That was probably the last time Bono looked like a man accepting the inevitability of being older in the spotlight and actually looking, well, cool.

I thought this was a really great article:

Fluxblog » Blog Archive » All Those Frozen Days

And by "great," I mean "I pretty much agree with everything in it."

It's a solid read, except that the following is slightly wrong, in my view:

Their creative process for the majority of their career has been to write in the studio and endlessly revise material until it feels right, or they’re literally forced to stop working and put something out so they can go on tour. Given that this method has birthed the majority of their best work, it’s hard to argue with results. But it’s not a very disciplined way of working, and this extended gestation for the new record is evidence that they probably should figure out a new way of doing things.

We already had a discussion on this topic, re: Edge's "acoustic" comment.

They'd already come up with a "new way of doing things", back around 1999.

The songs don't arrive out of small ideas that grow like in the 80's and 90's, they arrive out of ideas that already have a melody in place. In other words, the only way I can fathom a song like Pride or Ultraviolet (its unique guitar 'riff') coming together was purely by jam and that particular guitar figure naturally (magically?) arose out of it. Whereas so much of the stuff from the last 14 years seems like Edge is playing notes over pre-determined chords. So you end up, IMO, with a few autopilot songs like Walk On and Unknown Caller, or even Invisible. Where Edge is just plucking fairly standard root notes that anyone could have come up with. There's nothing unique about it.

To try to put a better example on it, think about the 'churning chime' songs. What happened to them? Think of the end of Zooropa, or the previously mentioned Pride and Ultraviolet or Streets or the crescendo of Bad any number of other songs. Unique chord patterns and cool sounds that almost had to come out of jams.

These days, it would be abandoned if Edge couldn't make sense out of the root chord. In the HTDAAB video that came in the deluxe album, Edge talked about Sometimes having an "illegal" note in it. Which is just another way of saying it had a variant in it (non-standard chord). And you can tell how he felt uncomfortable about it. They don't want to write "illegally" anymore. They want to write songs that can be sung around campfires with acoustic guitars.

So, no, they shouldn't figure out a "new way"' of doing things. They should go back to the way they were doing it that produced most of their magic.

That's how I see it.

I agree with everything in that article, but the problem is U2 obviously doesn't.
They are not going the AB way (I think, no signs point to that) they want hits that are relevant and can be played on an acoustic guitar and compete with Adele and Rhianna and Coldplay and whatever the fuck else....

Besides, can someone, anyone, name a genre or band as reference that they could model after in order to have the cultural impact and surprise that AB had 23 years ago? What? Prog metal meets drum and bass meets country?
Bleh.....

It's a solid read, except that the following is slightly wrong, in my view:

We already had a discussion on this topic, re: Edge's "acoustic" comment.

They'd already come up with a "new way of doing things", back around 1999.

The songs don't arrive out of small ideas that grow like in the 80's and 90's, they arrive out of ideas that already have a melody in place. In other words, the only way I can fathom a song like Pride or Ultraviolet (its unique guitar 'riff') coming together was purely by jam and that particular guitar figure naturally (magically?) arose out of it. Whereas so much of the stuff from the last 14 years seems like Edge is playing notes over pre-determined chords. So you end up, IMO, with a few autopilot songs like Walk On and Unknown Caller, or even Invisible. Where Edge is just plucking fairly standard root notes that anyone could have come up with. There's nothing unique about it.

To try to put a better example on it, think about the 'churning chime' songs. What happened to them? Think of the end of Zooropa, or the previously mentioned Pride and Ultraviolet or Streets or the crescendo of Bad any number of other songs. Unique chord patterns and cool sounds that almost had to come out of jams.

These days, it would be abandoned if Edge couldn't make sense out of the root chord. In the HTDAAB video that came in the deluxe album, Edge talked about Sometimes having an "illegal" note in it. Which is just another way of saying it had a variant in it (non-standard chord). And you can tell how he felt uncomfortable about it. They don't want to write "illegally" anymore. They want to write songs that can be sung around campfires with acoustic guitars.

So, no, they shouldn't figure out a "new way"' of doing things. They should go back to the way they were doing it that produced most of their magic.

That's how I see it.

Abso-fuckin-lutely!

I've been thinking about this for a while. They used to write out of jams, and that's how they wrote their best songs and the players came up with their most interesting, inventive parts. They need to go back to that method. The only problem is that they'd need to be a full-time band and work consistently and together. I think that Bono's heart would fail if he went more than two days without hobnobbing with a politician or business man.

I agree with everything in that article, but the problem is U2 obviously doesn't.
They are not going the AB way (I think, no signs point to that) they want hits that are relevant and can be played on an acoustic guitar and compete with Adele and Rhianna and Coldplay and whatever the fuck else....

Besides, can someone, anyone, name a genre or band as reference that they could model after in order to have the cultural impact and surprise that AB had 23 years ago? What? Prog metal meets drum and bass meets country?
Bleh.....

They'll never have the same impact as they did in 1991, and they're fools to think they will. I don't think Rush expected Clockwork Angels to be another 2112 or Moving Pictures. They should remember that the ZOO TV era was as big as it was because of the quality of the art, not because they forced it. They were prepared to take a step down in terms of commercial success then because they valued the art more than chart placements or stadium gigs (see: booking arenas and not expecting them to sell out). That's not the case now.

What I find odd is U2's obsession with competing commercially with absolute shit. The charts have never been this bad, and U2 should know that if they make good music they will never, ever get back together with the Billboard Top 10. They should be competing with Bowie, the Beatles, and Dylan and just focus on making really great records that stand the test of time, not having a hit that's forgotten (hello, COBL, is that you over there?).

I really hope the album won't be in the vein of Invisible... A ridiculous auto parody to me. I lost my faith in this band for the first time since '95...

You might as well ask "who wants to listen to music from rock musicians they can actually relate to?"

What?! It's not the same thing whatsoever. You might work at Best Buy, you want songs you can relate to, but no one wants their rock stars wearing khakis and a blue polo.

I hope it is called lucky number, because the last two-word U2 album was...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using U2 Interference mobile app

Back
Top Bottom