Album 13: Arguing/Punning/Meme-ing/Discussion thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
it also strikes me that BoA views this as an opportunity to try to rehabilitate it's rather sullied image after nearly destroying the world in 2008. i get that it's a lot of money, and i get that the moment is a big one, and the goal extraordinary. it's the execution i'm questioning on this very cold Thursday afternoon.

Unfortunately this is how the real world works. Band has new song to promote company has image to rebuild.

If the commerical is played at 6pm Eastern, then it will air before the game starts. Interesting....

what bothers me in a more substantive way is the name dropping, and how that fine line of aligning with a corporation while not kissing ass seems to be really blurred here. it also strikes me that BoA views this as an opportunity to try to rehabilitate it's rather sullied image after nearly destroying the world in 2008.

I can't disagree. As much as I'm full of "Yay U2!" and "eh, haters gonna hate" sentiments, they are not immune from criticism.

While it doesn't necessarily bother me all that much, I'll be curious to see how it all shakes out.

For the most part, my Knee-Jerk Bono Defense Mechanism has been in the 'off' switch for a few years now. :wink:

If the commerical is played at 6pm Eastern, then it will air before the game starts. Interesting....

Or maybe that's just the time they're making it available, so it will be on iTunes for a short while before most people know of its availability.

in all seriousness, Bono name drops BoA a lot and talks about their "heart" and stuff ... i don't know, maybe i've changed, but i find wise/pedantic Bono more and more irritable. he's better when he's enthused about an idea rather than explaining to me the gravitas of the situation.

what bothers me in a more substantive way is the name dropping, and how that fine line of aligning with a corporation while not kissing ass seems to be really blurred here. it also strikes me that BoA views this as an opportunity to try to rehabilitate it's rather sullied image after nearly destroying the world in 2008.

i get that it's a lot of money, and i get that the moment is a big one, and the goal extraordinary.

it's the execution i'm questioning on this very cold Thursday afternoon.

It plays right to the BA PR needs. It's worded exactly the way they'd like it.

That's just a guess. I mean, I'm sure the time of the commercial is planned, and iTunes could set it up so "commercial airs at 6:48 pm EST, song is made live at 6:49 pm EST."

It plays right to the BA PR needs. It's worded exactly the way they'd like it.

yes, he's clearly hitting the agreed upon talking points etched out by lawyers in the contracts.

obviously, he'd say that this is A GOOD THING. and he's right. so who cares if he has to perform a small corporate BJ. he'd argue that it's more of a 69 and less AIDS so there.

it's just ... i dunno.

I kind of hope not. I want all of us to be listening to it for the first time at 6:00 EST next week Sunday and then blowing up the forum. :lol:

That's just a guess. I mean, I'm sure the time of the commercial is planned, and iTunes could set it up so "commercial airs at 6:48 pm EST, song is made live at 6:49 pm EST."

They actually could have more people tuned in and paying attention at 6 p.m. than at 7:30.

I wish it was available on Google Play too. I'm not gonna be that guy that brings his iPad to the Super Bowl party I'm attending. I might have to download a torrent on my phone for the drive home and then do the free download on iTunes later that night.

Just bring your iPad. You're not going to be able to contain your glee when the commercial airs, so your U2 fanboy status will not be a secret from your friends. You might as well just tell them "I brought this so I could download it right away!"

:wink:

Just bring your iPad. You're not going to be able to contain your glee when the commercial airs, so your U2 fanboy status will not be a secret from your friends. You might as well just tell them "I brought this so I could download it right away!"

:wink:

LOL, I don't think my wife would allow it. :lol:

yes, he's clearly hitting the agreed upon talking points etched out by lawyers in the contracts.

obviously, he'd say that this is A GOOD THING. and he's right. so who cares if he has to perform a small corporate BJ. he'd argue that it's more of a 69 and less AIDS so there.

it's just ... i dunno.

It's unnecessary. Shift the emphasis and everyone would have still been happy. Could give credit and be very thankful and full of praise without making out like Bank of America are going to end HIV/AIDS. And it's obvious where the real value is. They're paying $4m to tell everyone about what is potentially a max $2m donation, and that's only if the song is the most downloaded single of the past few years (I think by some significant margin?) Aaaanyway.

Nah, I think that might be a given, now that we know something definitive. I don't think we should expect it now.

I think the meltdown will come if a few weeks go by after the SB without any word.

Nah, I think that might be a given, now that we know something definitive. I don't think we should expect it now.

I think the meltdown will come if a few weeks go by after the SB without any word.

True. I just hope they're not floating the song to see how it goes over before deciding about album material.

They're going to announce it on Jimmy Fallon. He randomly announced kings of Leon's new album and I don't think the band were even on the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom