ABOY: An all-time classic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Layton

War Child
Ok, get this.

I was listening to some Rock channel on my XM satellite radio I got for Christmas. They have something going where they're playing the 5000 essential Rock songs in alphabetical order. So when I tune in, they're on "All Along the Watchtower". The announcer says they're going to play 10 essential versions by 10 different artists in a row. So, I'm thinking this is satellite radio and they're adventurous maybe they'll play some cool U2 version from the LoveTown tour.

Of course, after I sit through all 10 versions there's no U2 to be found. Now, I'm a little irritated because because some of these versions massacre a great song (i.e. Taj Mahal and Buddy Miles). As I'm about to turn the radio off, the announcer goes on this little spiel about how people shouldn't get mad because they're favorite song isn't on the list because it's only a game. He then says, 'remember we're only doing this all because of you'. Then, Edge's siren-like guitar thing goes off and my jaw dropped.

I've always thought ABOY was a fine song, but an essential all-timer? Even I was caught off-guard by this assertion. So there it is, ABOY is an all time classic. Right up there with "All Along the Watchtower", "All Day and All of the Night" by the Kinks and "All Down the Line" by the Rolling Stones. Of course, at this point all I could do was to stick around for AIWIY. Which it showed up a little later right next to "All I Want" by Joni Mitchell and "All I Really Want" by Bob Dylan.

Now to make this thread more interesting, I'll pose a question all of this raised for me.

Has U2 become dad rock?

During the time I was listening, 99% of the artists featured on this list were of pre-1980 vintage. It's interesting how these type of fans would easily put HTDAAB tracks into a list like this. Another question then would be,

Do you have to be over 35 to appreciate the kind of work being done on HTDAAB?

Stuff like this makes it clear to me why HTDAAB got the Granny nomination in the album of the year category and could possibly win. There really are alot of music afficiando's out there who give HTDAAB alot of high respect. Most of them appear to be older and in positions of power. I havn't quite figured out if that's a good thing or a bad thing, though.

ABOY an all-time great? :eyebrow:

If they've become 'dad-rock', they've brought it on themselves by making songs that sound like All Because Of You instead of songs that sound like Bullet The Blue Sky or Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me in recent years.

Er...sorry...I should stay out of this thread. I'm listening to live versions of 'Pop' songs and it's really not doing anything to help me stay level-headed about this particular subject at the moment :wink:

All Because of You is like Who Lite. Less filling with no bitter aftertaste.

I don't think that's a good thing, but then again I've become lost in my own metaphor.

lemme think about this...

um, no

ABoY is a fun song, but not a classic by any means

I wouldn't call the songs you mentioned on the countdown "Dad Rock"--especially not Joni Mitchell--just good classic rock that's been around for awhile (Dad Rock would be like, the Eagles, Steve Miller, and newer Rolling Stones). That said, I don't think ABOY belongs on that list AT ALL. It's probably not good enough, first of all :reject:

ABOY is a horrible song IMO (exluding the "I'm at the door..." lyrics.)

U2 is almost dad rock.

Let's hope for a creative spark.

At least some radio station is agreeing with me... :wink:

All Because Of You is one of the best songs on the album. And now it's a certified all-time classic rock track! :up:

:)

While it's the best of the rock songs on the Bomb (arguably the closest to old school rock'n'roll U2 has gotten since Desire), I wouldn't call it a classic.

Hmm.. I think it really depends on the station you were listening to.. It sounded like they were picking obscure songs there. (DO
NOT GET ME STARTED ON RADIO STATIONS!) ABOY - not U2's best, great guitar though.. How do you like satellite radio overall?

Just saying, U2 has consistently set the bar incredibly high for themselves. MacPhistopt, I don't think any other band compares to u2. BUT, If you were picking one U2 song as their most essential rock song, would you pick ABOY????:hmm:

SunBloc said:
Hmm.. I think it really depends on the station you were listening to.. It sounded like they were picking obscure songs there. (DO
NOT GET ME STARTED ON RADIO STATIONS!) ABOY - not U2's best, great guitar though.. How do you like satellite radio overall?

Satellite radio is a huge improvement over commercial radio. No commercials, they go deep into albums to find great songs to play and they do crazy things like play various versions of "All Along the Watchtower" for an hour straight.

This list is a mixture of obscure songs and well known songs. Like I said before, ABOY was rubbing elbows with Watchtower by Hendrix and "All Down the Line" by the Stones, one of their more well known songs from Exile On Main Street.

I'm trying to think of U2's songs in alphabetical order so I can time being around to hear if any more surprises show up. I think this alphabetical list of 5000 is supposed to take a week or so to get through. I'm curious to see if a station with a Classic Rock lean will give '90's U2 similiar respect as it obviously gives '00's U2.

Pero said:
It's great, a must have and must know.
I personally,while playing guitar, enjoy it the most from Hut Dab

Yeah, Edge's guitar work holds up well on this song. It's the one thing that made ABOY sound like it belonged next to some of the other songs, I mentioned.

it is a great song. classic? it's too early to call a song after one year a classic, but i think its one of their best rock songs, and definitly a great song.

while i do like all because of you a whoooole lot... was my favorite off the album after the first listen... by no means do i think it's an all time classic...

but...

do i really think i can find 500 pure rock songs that i'd rather listen to than all because of you?

nope.

500... that's a lot of tunes there. i'm sure there were a few other songs on the list that weren't exactly all time great material... but ya gotta fill 500 songs.

It really could have been a great song but like most of the problems with HTDAAB, I blame Bono. Bad lyrics and cheesy melodies. The alternate version was much more interesting (not a classic though).

It's a good song, but nowhere near a classic. And yes, the alternative version was much better, IMO.

I like the original album version way better than the single mix, and I have only heard parts of the alternate version...

Is ABOY a classic song?? Hmm...It makes my favorite 25 song list! That sure doesn't make it a "classic" though....

Gen. Chat said:

:up: That about says it all. There are a lot of songs on the last two cds that are good but just a handful that have classic potential.

I have nothing great or new to add to this discussion except to say that Gen Chat's new avitar is fucking hilarious. Thanks.

I feel sorry for it. It has to carry the weight of being two of the worst minutes in U2's entire catalogue, only to finish off with the best minute on the whole album. It must be a strange thing to deal with, especially considering it is clearly not the most intellectually gifted song.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
while i do like all because of you a whoooole lot... was my favorite off the album after the first listen... by no means do i think it's an all time classic...

but...

do i really think i can find 500 pure rock songs that i'd rather listen to than all because of you?

nope.

500... that's a lot of tunes there. i'm sure there were a few other songs on the list that weren't exactly all time great material... but ya gotta fill 500 songs.

Exactly. And their list is 5000! Really, though, I don't think ABOY is even a classic U2 track, let alone a classic rock track. But I'd also rather listen to U2 than a lot of things so I'd probably put U2's entire catalouge on a list of 5000 and then fill up the rest :p

And yes, the alternate version was better. The single mix at least improved on the album version.

Back
Top Bottom