A Year in Pop, the TV special

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

follower

Refugee
I hadn?t seen the tape of the TV special A Year in Pop for quite a while, but yesterday night I felt like seeing it again. I remember when it was aired here, I already knew that they would come, that Popmart woul reach us, so you can imagine my excitement when I saw the special on TV. I couldn?t wait to witness all of that with my own eyes.

I really like the special, the interviews are great, the images as well and the brazilian pos-production is very good, including the subtitles (bad translation always annoys me a lot, but this one is pretty good). My fave parts are:

Bono and Larry dueling over the Passengers experience, Bono picking on Larry is really funny :lol:

The part shot at Hanover Quay, with performances of Gone and Do You Feel Loved...especially Gone :love:

Bono reading the dictionary, the possible meaning or meanings of the word Pop :p

Allen Ginsberg reciting the lyrics of Miami and the collage of images that goes with it.

Finally, the rehearsal at The Factory with Please...I love that video, I used to watch it over and over again. :up:

Anybody else like that special? Any fave bits to share?

:wave:

MT

Uh, no.............just kidding. Really, after watching this program again I can see why it was one of the lowest rated non-news shows. Pop just wasn't happening, and U2 was playing catch up and trying to convince themselves that Pop was an "outstanding" album. Good, maybe...outstanding, not in my opinion.

I however did get a kick out of Bono's embrace with Dennis Hopper after he came offstage. I always found that odd, I dunno why.

Didn't the Live From Boston special on tv last year also have low ratings ? I don't think it matters how successful U2 s albums are most people just won't tune in. What's scary is more people will watch a Cher special. :huh: When the Pop Mart special came on I was pretty excited but all the interview parts dragged on, that stuff is more for hard core fans. I would've liked to see them play live for the whole hour.

Frankly, I couldn?t care less about low ratings...especially among the U.S. audiences. It seems that it?s a trend there anyways, based on what I have read in U2 forums like this.

If you don?t like it, that?s okay to me. I?m more interested in reading the opposite opinions. But thanks anyways.

MT

I haven't seen it documentary....but no doubt I would rate it highly.:)

Hola follower :wave:
:hug: from "uncritical cass":D

Was one of the meanings "grandfather"? That's what I always think of. The year the album came out i had given my dad a card with a painting of soft drink lids cascading across it, each one having the word "POP" on it.
Pop:heart:

Hola dear cass :hug:...don?t worry, I?m uncritical too ;) LOL at you grandfather comment.

I have revisited my old U2 stuff on video lalely, especially from the Pop era. Tonight I?m planning on seeing my tape of Popmart S?o Paulo again...that will be number 567833456th, LOL

MT

While most rock music specials are low rated due to the fact that they have limited appeal, this one had especially limited appeal since even many U2 fans didn't like it. I turned it off fairly early in the show, and didn't tune back into U2 until the Pop era was mercifully over.

lol, i remember i sacrificed a saturday night to stay home and tape it. i liked it because i didn't know any better. in retrospect, you can certainly see that at the time, the album just wasn't happening live, though.

Well, if it wasn?t happening there it was happening somewhere else ;)...like I?m used to say...Pop for latins, LOL

Funny that they spent a good part of that special trying to explain the failure of a previous project, the movie Rattle and Hum...but I bet nobody remembers that...nobody saw the special anyways :D

Last edited:
I do remember the tv special but I also remember that I saw the last part and didn't tape it. But I loved it because the POP tour at the LA Coliseum was my first concert EVER!!! So it's all just good memories for me and POP

Back
Top Bottom