8 MSG shows. Which ones best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great story.

PS was super awkward - I was three rows behind the stage and watched all their faces - Edge did not know the chords, Paul did not know the words, Bono did not know what to do, and Larry just seemed pissed the entire night (I think he has a cold - was blowing his nose and coughing a bunch.)

That was too bad. I love Paul Simon (and to a lesser extent Bono :wink: ), but it was WTF moment for sure.

Larry actually sat a drum kit for 10 out of 25 songs? He also sat out completely or left the stage for 5 out of 25 songs? I am not that much of a stats guy, but am a drummer and really think this tour has just turned into the "Bono Spectacular."

Out of 25 songs total (including the short Mother and Child Reunion):

16 songs playing drums on the main kit (The Miracle Of Joey Ramone, The Electric Co., Vertigo, I Will Follow, Iris, Cedarwood Road, Song For Someone, Raised by Wolves, Until the End of the World, Bullet the Blue Sky, Pride, Beautiful Day, With or Without You, City of Blinding Lights, Streets, and One)

1 song on just snare drum (Sunday Bloody Sunday)

2 songs playing drums in the screen (Invisible and Even Better Than the Real Thing)

2 songs playing drums on the E stage (Mysterious Ways and Elevation)

4 songs not playing drums (Ordinary Love, Satellite of Love, Every Breaking Wave, and Mother and Child Reunion)

I don't think I would consider that "Bono Spectacular"

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

This was far less of a mess than I was expecting. Pleasantly surprised.

Laughed out loud at the "jumped the shark" comment above. If you are just now thinking that about U2 almost 40 years in then, well, I don't know what to tell you.

The band has been about "jumping the shark" since Rattle and Hum.

Jumped the shark at R&H? Gag with a spoon. :lol:

I loved night 3. Angel of Harlem sounded so good with The Roots adding their instruments. Felt like I was at Lovetown! I was a baby during Lovetown so that's as close as I'd get.

Though the opening 4 songs was the best of the first leg I think. Felt like Boy Tour or War Tour - even with the new songs, Vertigo & Miracle fit nicely with the other two.

Can't believe I'd waited this long to go to my first U2 show. Emotional, thrilling, crazy experience. Hope to go to 2 or 3 if they do another leg of shows at MSG next time.

Last edited:
We must've been right next to each other.

Answer was Night 2.

I went to 1, 3, 4, 7, 8. FAILED.

Did anyone expect BAD to get 1 play?

I'm glad I went to 2 for October and Bad. 4 for All I Want Is You. 6 for Two Hearts. 8 for Party Girl, 40 and Bruce.

11 OClock would have been nice.

It was only 14 days, but it felt like 100 days didn't it? I spent 24/7 of free time on this site and at shows... it was crazy. I have nothing to look forward to for a bit. I miss checking Ticketmaster even when I have tickets already. I'm twitchy.

Who wants to go to _______ (another band) show?

I'm first on the list. We are waiting outside my apt.

I heard cheering and everyone turned... I couldn't see... they seemed high up so I guess it was a Knick player. I was very very wrong.

CLSGaRiWsAAec8s.jpg

I'm exhausted and need a break. 4 shows and 1 unbelievable UF gig. I've done more shows in a 2 week period than that, but never with the emotion of this past Wednesday, plus I'm getting old and cranky.

It's certainly time for a U2 break.

Alas... In retrospect, as great as the shows were from a production standpoint, I am slightly disappointed with the song selections. I think they could have done a much better job getting some other songs in there.

No Crystal Ballroom? Two Hearts, Bad and The Troubles once each? Feel they could have done more to mix things up over 8 nights in the same city.

Alas, it was a fun two weeks, and provided one of the greatest moments of my life/fandom. So that disappointment, though real, is quite small.

Exhausted after last night and 4 of 8 shows. Every show was really good. Of the four I was able to go to night #1 was the most average and last night (#8) was probably the best.

Every show I saw had some amazing and unforgettable moments. I was thrilled to get to hear Lucifers Hands, Gloria, AIWIY, Sweetest Thing and 40 among a few others. Stunned by the lack of Bad in NYC though! I thought WOWY was really strong every night and EBW is a standout (should be full band though!)

Like many have said though, I did expect just a little more from them in terms of variation during the MSG run. At worst though it drops the grade to a 9 out of 10 from being 10/10.

Can't wait to see them I'm Europe next.

Went to 3 and 4 and loved every minute. GA for 3 Seats for 4. Hey so maybe I'd like to have heard some different songs, but you can't please all the people all of the time. Amazing shows! And any excuse to visit the greatest city in the world is always good. The food!!!! Actually the only thing that got on my tits (Scottish saying) somewhat, was Bono constantly mentioning all his celeb friends in the audience that night.. I couldn't give a fuck if the Clintons, Mario Batali, et al are in the audience. If they come up on stage to perform with them then great. Nnnnnnnineteen Bono wouldn't have been doing that shit.

Freaking exhausted after 8 shows in 14 days.

I'm really glad I went to it all, as I always had a blast. Nights 2 and 6 were definitely my favorite. But a tad disappointed that the sets were so static. Expected Bad at least more than once. I think this will turn out to be a Popmart-like tour where the set doesn't change that much throughout (unless they release SoE).

And for the record, I still haven't bought a dumb t-shirt. Proud of myself. Also confused as it says Ladies t-shirts on colors I like, but I see men wearing those colors, so I don't know... looking at your Navy, it says Ladies, but all I see are Men wearing it... so WTF? ... either way, I think these are worst tour shirts I've seen in 5 tours.

Where's the color? Where's the fun?

And where's the evidence that they spend more than 2 minutes designing a shirt.. I agree , thank god the merch sucks. saves me a a lot of money I can spend on food, drinks or tickets.

I did 7 shows. Still can't believe it. Definitely in withdrawal. I think the new songs probably shined brightest. Cedarwood road, iris and raised by wolves especially. All 3 were intense moments. I love every breaking wave, but unfortunately the audience looked at that song as a break in the action and a reason to stop talking.

I hope that when they come back around they do add a few songs from the new album that could be great live like California and this is where you can reach me. Amazing that they have so much material to play that 3 albums were completely omitted from the lists. If I'm not mistaken they only do 3 songs between achtung baby and songs of innocence? Beautiful day, vertigo, and city of blinding lights.

I couldn't have asked for a better stage show though. I didn't watch any videos beforehand do the whole screen and stage experience was a surprise to me at my first show and it was just a phenomanally well executed concept. There is no band in existence that plays to every single seat in the arena the way that U2 does.

Sent from my D6616 using U2 Interference mobile app

So according to the New Yorker Bono is now annoying because they aren't ironic anymore. And Deadspin thinks Bono is the devil incarnate. Can't get through a tour without someone dissing the band.
Saw a FB post about How U2 annoy them? How? They really aren't in the public mainstream... You know when these articles come out, the band is still important. ;)

I'm thinking that this year was the innocence side of things. Maybe next year with the experience side will get the ironic U2 back that the New Yorker so badly wants.

I went to MSG 7, my only one this tour.

I hated the setlist. It was my 7th U2 show ever, so maybe I'm just desensitized to the greatest hits stuff. Mysterious Ways, Bullet, Sunday Bloody Sunday, and Elevation just don't do it for me anymore.

Oh and way to butcher "One" by having the audience sing the entire song. I've noticed Bono doing this more and more. Last tour the first couple of verses of "I still haven't found" he gave to the audience. Now an entire song?! It really ruins the experience, particularly for a song like One and ESPECIALLY for the closing song of the night. If he didn't want to sing, then they should have just done 40, he could have even left the stage early! lol

So according to the New Yorker Bono is now annoying because they aren't ironic anymore. And Deadspin thinks Bono is the devil incarnate. Can't get through a tour without someone dissing the band.
Saw a FB post about How U2 annoy them? How? They really aren't in the public mainstream... You know when these articles come out, the band is still important. ;)

I'm thinking that this year was the innocence side of things. Maybe next year with the experience side will get the ironic U2 back that the New Yorker so badly wants.

My "friend" from NY loves to send me those articles. He's a Bruce fan. No way I can make fun of him for liking an old white rock star. Oh wait...

Anyway -- I love the high minded stuff like U2 isn't ironic anymore. What the fuck does that mean? I think the thing that makes the band work and connect is they are 100% SINCERE about their hearts and music. Do they mean fun lyrics? I don't know what that means. They aren't playing the greatest rock band. They are it. After 40 years of being on top... surprised they aren't more of lazy fucks like other acts I see. and they still have it.

Bono is my favorite singer of all time. And to me he's the one I'm watching. I'm a writer, so i'm into lyrics and I love singers that sing like there throat is going to explode. Bono does this best. And he might sound different from era to era, but that's age and how he changes it up -- but he always sound so amazing. When people are talking during every breaking wave -- I'm listening like this guy sings better than Opera guys do that get ally he credit. He's so great. It gives me chills when he sings and his hands twitches and he gets lost in the song. He's not messing around when he sings a lot of these songs.

Anyway -- right now the song that is stuck in my head is Raised By Wolves -- a song I didn't like at all when I first heard it. Also I keep signing Raised By Jews to by newborn to the roll o the eyes of my wife, but I think it's catchy. Insert your own background into that song and it works. On 360, I couldn't get Ultraviolet out of my head for 2 years... i still sing it. He killed it.

I always have a great time at a U2 show. But I didn't get lost as much as past tours... but I don't know if I did in 360... I don't like stadiums... arenas so much better... Elevation and Vertigo were perfection to me... time, place, album... so impossible to compare. But we do.

Still... I want more. I want to see them right now. So they still win. I hope they drop another album sooner than later and we can get excited again.

Or they just play POP in my apt.

my "friend" from ny loves to send me those articles. He's a bruce fan. No way i can make fun of him for liking an old white rock star. Oh wait...

Anyway -- i love the high minded stuff like u2 isn't ironic anymore. What the fuck does that mean? I think the thing that makes the band work and connect is they are 100% sincere about their hearts and music. Do they mean fun lyrics? I don't know what that means. They aren't playing the greatest rock band. They are it. After 40 years of being on top... Surprised they aren't more of lazy fucks like other acts i see. And they still have it.

Bono is my favorite singer of all time. And to me he's the one i'm watching. I'm a writer, so i'm into lyrics and i love singers that sing like there throat is going to explode. Bono does this best. And he might sound different from era to era, but that's age and how he changes it up -- but he always sound so amazing. When people are talking during every breaking wave -- i'm listening like this guy sings better than opera guys do that get ally he credit. He's so great. It gives me chills when he sings and his hands twitches and he gets lost in the song. He's not messing around when he sings a lot of these songs.

Anyway -- right now the song that is stuck in my head is raised by wolves -- a song i didn't like at all when i first heard it. Also i keep signing raised by jews to by newborn to the roll o the eyes of my wife, but i think it's catchy. Insert your own background into that song and it works. On 360, i couldn't get ultraviolet out of my head for 2 years... I still sing it. He killed it.

I always have a great time at a u2 show. But i didn't get lost as much as past tours... But i don't know if i did in 360... I don't like stadiums... Arenas so much better... Elevation and vertigo were perfection to me... Time, place, album... So impossible to compare. But we do.

Still... I want more. I want to see them right now. So they still win. I hope they drop another album sooner than later and we can get excited again.

Or they just play pop in my apt.

shut the fuck up!

You're right. I re-read it and it's brilliant.

Sometimes shit just works out...

11218762_10153696084290934_8170578563071401019_n.jpg

Whaddya expect when you have sluts for friends? :lol:

Went to 3,4 and 8. To me it's a toss up between 4 and 8. 4 had electric co and all I want is you. 8 is pretty obvious. I wish I caught Gloria.

Back
Top Bottom