24 Day 7 Talk Back!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have yet to read anyone (whether here or the numerous 24 forums I looked at after the show) state they actually like this new 'twist'.

I hope the outcry leads the writers to pull a 'Dallas' and it turns out to be a dream :lol:

What outcry? Let's wait to see where the writers go with this before passing judgment.

I, personally, think the the writers did what they had to do, even if I'm not thrilled with the prospect of Tony turning 'heel' (to use wrestling parlance). Let's just use this thread as an example: there have been more posts, and at greater frequency, in the four days since Monday's episode then during any four-day stretch since the season began. At least, that's what it seems like to me. The writers have us talking about the show—good or bad—which, in essence, is their raison d'etre.

What outcry?

Um, the one in the '24' forums I mentionned in my last post.

And not one single poster here (or elsewhere that I've read) likes the idea of Tony being the villain, so we may be talking about it but none of it is positive.
And if people don't like it, people aren't going to watch :shrug:

And not one single poster here (or elsewhere that I've read) likes the idea of Tony being the villain, so we may be talking about it but none of it is positive.
And if people don't like it, people aren't going to watch :shrug:

I hope you don't take this the wrong way (I don't intend it to be mean), but that's really naive. The television business doesn't really work the way you think it does.

It doesn't matter if people don't like this, because now we're all talking about it, and we're all going to tune in next week to find out what happens. The writers aren't there to make the fans happy, they are there to make the FOX executives who pay their salaries happy, which is done by increasing advertising revenue, which is done by increasing ratings, which is done by getting people talking about the show, which is done by making one of your major characters appear to be something he's not then revealing it when viewers aren't expecting it. Breaking news: corporate executives don't give a shit about anybody's feelings, especially not when it's going to make them truckloads full of cash! :shocked:

I can also guarantee you that 99.999% of the people that are "outraged" at this are going to watch next week, and the next week too, regardless of what happens.

As far as the show goes, I have a very strong feeling that the President's husband is going to end up involved a lot more in these last few episodes...

I hope you don't take this the wrong way (I don't intend it to be mean), but that's really naive. The television business doesn't really work the way you think it does.

It doesn't matter if people don't like this, because now we're all talking about it, and we're all going to tune in next week to find out what happens. The writers aren't there to make the fans happy, they are there to make the FOX executives who pay their salaries happy, which is done by increasing advertising revenue, which is done by increasing ratings, which is done by getting people talking about the show, which is done by making one of your major characters appear to be something he's not then revealing it when viewers aren't expecting it. Breaking news: corporate executives don't give a shit about anybody's feelings, especially not when it's going to make them truckloads full of cash! :shocked:

I can also guarantee you that 99.999% of the people that are "outraged" at this are going to watch next week, and the next week too, regardless of what happens.

^^ that may work for awhile (watching to see what will happen) but it will only work as long as the writing stays believable. They can't let things get out of hand... ahem Heroes...
I think fans and even casual viewers will allow for a lot (I'm still watching 24 after season 6) so I think they do care what their fans think because they recognized that they messed that one up. I'm not saying writers should cater to only what fans want. Heroes is a perfect example of that trainwreck.
Ok I kinda went off on a tangent/not exactly what you were talking about sorry. :reject: But I don't think it's true that the writers only care about the execs. As artists I think they do care what the fans think.

As far as the show goes, I have a very strong feeling that the President's husband is going to end up involved a lot more in these last few episodes...

I don' t think it's naive and if you like, I can attach all the links of the people who said they'd stop watching if Tony has turned 'bad' again (actually, that'd be too time-consuming but, trust me, there are those who said they would. And yes, many gave up during Season 6 and one of the reasons is because the plots and twists are just too unbelievable and really, who's going to believe someone like Tony is actually a villain? Personally, I could see see Jack turning against the gov't before Tony). And if the execs don't care what people think, why did they bring Tony back? I'm sure one of the reasons is because he's popular and people like him, not because they had written the season outline and he was a 'good fit'.

And I think we're talking about different time frames here - I think people will watch the remaining episodes of THIS season, yes, absolutely, to find out what exactly is happening but it's *very possible* this may have turned viewers from returning next year.

Now, if Tony still is on the right side of things, obviously all of this is a moot point (and there's speculation this is the case because of the manner in which Tony "killed" Larry)

P.S. I may not even watch Monday's episode - but only because it conflicts with the Habs game - it's a lose-lose situation, really :(

And if the execs don't care what people think, why did they bring Tony back? I'm sure one of the reasons is because he's popular and people like him, not because they had written the season outline and he was a 'good fit'.

Which means more viewers (including bringing back some of those who have left since season 4/5), and therefore more advertising revenue.

Seriously, everything is about the dollar signs in show business.

Which means more viewers (including bringing back some of those who have left since season 4/5), and therefore more advertising revenue.

Seriously, everything is about the dollar signs in show business.

Sure, and I agree but I think this 'twist' *could* turn viewers away next season.

And if they brought him back because it increased the ratings, you'd think he'd be a good guy so he could return next season as well.
Although, I suppose he could return as the villain again but I don't think viewers are buying that.

I'd love for him to have his own show :drool:

I don't know.... I kinda see Tony as the anti-Jack. Even though Jack's wife was killed due to his government, he hasn't turned his back. Tony, however, has. At the end of the day, we'll never know how the coalition of Bill, Tony, and Chloe began, nor Tony's motives. They could have been pure. But also, he could've still been on the outside and everything he did was to get his hands on that one canister, to get it into the hands of some group he may really be allied to.

Was there this much "outcry" at the beginning of this seasons? If so, I don't really remember it.... Then again, I'm too lazy to look through these pages to see. I think the outcry has come from the story toying with our emotions as to whether or not Tony is a good guy or a bad guy. :shrug:

I just watched the episode where Bill dies again, and I really am convinced now that the President's daughter has got to be in on it.

Yeah, her character and why she was brought in is definately questionable...

The Tony thing is still weird to me. In a recent interview with the actor right after this twist he stated that Tony is still very angry with the government. So he was hinting that Tony is indeed "turning bad" but that just puts too many ??? on the past events of the day. We'll see...:shrug:

Well, that was interesting. It's fairly obvious what's going to happen now. Jack will call Kim back for the experimental treatment, get better, and it sets up a final showdown between Tony and himself.

We'll see what happens.

well Jack looks like he makes a miraculous recover next week.

Thought tonight was a solid episode other than the oh by the way Jack has a grandkid now.

Wait, did you hear what Tony said in that global warming ad after the show?? He said "everything isn't always what it seems"

he's giving us clues :hyper:

:wink:

So what will motivate Jack to sacrifice his daughter's life to save his own, the fact that he's a grandpa, or a burning desire to catch and kill Tony after Tony escapes at the end of the day?

I say the latter.

Either way, I hope Chase and his one arm get involved in the plot somehow.

I believe that Tony is indeed bad, but I don't think evil. There's a difference. That said, we still don't know his full intentions yet. he was with Emerson's crew for 3 years was it? so there's certainly reason for him to still have his own motives at hand still. but he could also still be doing something undercover that perhaps Bill didn't even know about. after all, the first half of the season had him being 'bad' but still on the 'good' side of things just deep undercover. it COULD be the same type of thing, even though i don't really think so.

also, i'm hoping that the characters that have Hodges by the balls aren't just swept under the rug ala Max and Trepkos in season 2.

Did I see Tony making out with the president's daughter in the preview for next week?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom