2015 U2 Tour - General Discussion Thread VII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The irony of watching a video of a show that wasn't filmed (so, a fan-shot video) and complaining about fans filming now is mind-numbing

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Where was I complaining? I just noticed a stark difference.

I'm reposting what I wrote on Zootopia as my thoughts about this contest:

The whole key to this contest is what Bigwave said "It's a tv thing". I don't think it has anything to do with rewarding big fans or who is the most deserving. I also don't believe that the 5 winners were the top 5 vote getters. With Hamish Hamilton confirming that the HBO broadcast is all going to be night 3, this contest was all about casting a tv production. They chose 5 people to play roles in the production and let the fan base help decide who was cast.

I believe there are 2 reasons for choosing people who have already been on stage. The obvious one is that these people have proved they won't cave under pressure, eliminating anything shocking happening during the performance. The other reason to have people chosen in advance is for legal reasons. The 5 winners will clearly sign off on having their likeness appear in the initial broadcast, as well as for all future uses, such as HBO repeated airings, international broadcasts and home video release. There has long been a rumor that the reason that Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around the World does not appear in the home video release of Zoo TV Sydney is because the girl invited on stage was underage and Bono gave her champagne to drink. If that's the reason, it has to all do with legal issues. Any winners will already have signed off and that will eliminate future issues.

I have heard of 4 of the 5 winners and I believe they were essentially cast, but based on votes. It was obvious that U2 wanted U2Brothr there, as both news articles about this contest featured him prominently, both as a dancer and as a musician. It was more than just a subliminal plant to voters. I have no doubt though, that he was one of the top receivers of votes. He is well known and liked among U2 fans. He was a great choice for the production because they can decide which role to use him in: Meercat dancer or musician for the song after the Meercat. I believe only 2 or 3 of the winners will actually go on stage. Jacob, the boy from San Jose for City of Blinding Lights, was a winner and I don't necessarily believe he was one of the top 5 to receive votes. I believe he was the top person for his role: boy for COBL, so I believe he will go onstage for sure, unless the winner I don't know of won also for that role.

The biggest competition is for the Meercat dancer. As I mentioned before, Mark (U2Brothr) can be the dancer or the musician. He is the most multi purpose person that was on the vote list. If the winner I haven't heard about is a musician, then they could use that person to play and Mark for dancer. If Mark is used as a musician, then it frees up the dancer spot for the 2-3 other winners. This is why I believe only 2 or 3 are going on stage. They chose extra people in case someone doesn't make it in time and allowing them to figure things out prior to Saturday's show. They have a safety net in place for the 2 or 3 roles in this production.

"put down your fucking phone"

they should ban filming/photos from the pit - it's infuriating when someone sticks their arm right in front of your face and you can't see anything - kate bush got it right :lol:

seriously, i think this was my first time near the front of GA at Bercy for a few years, and the crowd was just not the same - too distracted with their fecking phones! not all the time, but a fair bit of the time nonetheless... (which actually means, every time something was going on right in front of us :lol:)

which is why bouncing during Elevation is perfect --> boing = whoo i can seee!

Last edited:
Well. I'm on my way to Paris this eve. I leave Toronto at 5pm, a stop in MTL, and then arrive in Paris at 8am Saturday. I haven't been on the blue crack in some time. I'm grateful for the opportunity and for the fans that voted for me.

More than anything, I want to do the fans proud. This trip will be special because for each of my stage appearances my wife has been stuck at home with the baby. It has been difficult for her and our relationship to see her husband getting the major media coverage I've received. She is very happy for me..... But also wishes she could be a part of the action instead of sitting on the sidelines. Imagine being married to me? Ewwwwww. Lol. She's had to put up with my u2 lunacy for years. God bless her.

Well, being Canadian, my wife speaks French. Her dream as always been to go to France. I'm excited to tell you that she is coming with me. I would have loved for my band to come with me as well.

It's not going to be France on her terms but she isn't complaining. I'm overjoyed that this is benefitting her for once.

I am dropping the baby at my mom's and then packing.

By no means am I the most deserving or entitled to this prize. So many fans out on that list that were on stage this tour were worthy. I don't even know if the voting thing was a legit idea. I'm not into drama. I'm into laughs and happiness. That's what U2 does for people.

Thank you for your support. I'm incredibly nervous. Thank you for the kind words. I aim to put on a show. ImageUploadedByU2 Interference1447417880.854975.jpg

Great news that your wife is able to join you Mark! We have no doubt you will "represent"! Have a great time

ahh big congrats Mark - have a fantastic time in Paris with your missus!! have a blast at the gig, you will do everyone proud i'm sure!!

Congrats U2Brother. I'm having a very similar weekend because I'm going out for sushi on Saturday night!

Congratulations Mark.

they should ban filming/photos from the pit - it's infuriating when someone sticks their arm right in front of your face and you can't see anything - kate bush got it right :lol:

seriously, i think this was my first time near the front of GA at Bercy for a few years, and the crowd was just not the same - too distracted with their fecking phones! not all the time, but a fair bit of the time nonetheless... (which actually means, every time something was going on right in front of us :lol:)

which is why bouncing during Elevation is perfect --> boing = whoo i can seee!

As a regular gig goer, both big and small bands, I was amazed this year at the O2 in London how bad this had become. I was on the rail for 4 shows and every night i was surrounded by people who had queued all day only to watch the show through their phones. It's now got to such a point that people often have their backs to the band to take selfies with the band behind them. Wow! These are people that queue all day to "see" their favourite band.

Not only photographs and videos though, numerous "Facetiming" of whole songs to people that aren't there whilst updating statuses and tweeting constantly. Maybe I was just unlucky to be next to this type of stuff every night, but it definitely impacted upon my enjoyment. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Last edited:
Mark, I can't think of anyone more deserving to be up there. This is gonna sound kinda stupid, but you make me proud to be a U2 fan. Hope you and your wife have a great time Brothr. And if you're ever in the DC area, I'd love to buy you a beer. Or three.

Congrats to Amp :up: :up:

So... Just one or two go on stage or the five? Or is there more than five? :hmm:

Also... Am I in bizarro world? There are hateful posts about the winners in the atu2 forum and here we are mostly civilized, weren't we the wild forum? :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom