2010 Leg Announcement on u2.com now - TOUR DATES

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though I'm increasingly convinced that there won't be any UK / Ireland shows in 2010, why couldn't U2 play at Croke Park again? To my knowledge there's been no concerts announced for Croker in 2010. But, do you mean because of all the nonsense with the local residents this year, that U2 wouldn't return there again at all in future?

I believe that Croke Park is unavailable for concerts after early August- the GAA season starts then and they wouldn't want to rip up the grass and have the stadium out of action for 10 days. Aside from the new Aviva stadium (which may be too small) there are no other viable options in and around Dublin- although I guess they could build a bunch of temporary stands at Phoenix Park but can't see Live Nation being keen on that idea

that might be a good explanation! very sharp

Whether by design or its just the way album releases have fallen, U2 have never toured European stadiums in a world cup summer. This maybe a reason the 'planned' Elevation 2002 tour was scrapped:hmm:

I believe that Croke Park is unavailable for concerts after early August- the GAA season starts then and they wouldn't want to rip up the grass and have the stadium out of action for 10 days. Aside from the new Aviva stadium (which may be too small) there are no other viable options in and around Dublin- although I guess they could build a bunch of temporary stands at Phoenix Park but can't see Live Nation being keen on that idea

I believe there was at one point consideration given to playing Phoenix Park this year, instead of Croke, so it's not totally out of the question. Looks like next year, they will be taking the temporary stands approach at least in Zurich.

But in any case, I won't be shocked if there are no Dublin or Ireland gigs. Every past tour on which U2 have done two or more European legs, they have not played Ireland on at least one of those legs. The only example of U2 playing Ireland on two legs of the same tour is if you count Pre-War as a leg of the War Tour (they played Ireland shows on the Pre-War leg, none on the main European leg, then a gig at Phoenix Park on the festival leg).

I believe there was at one point consideration given to playing Phoenix Park this year, instead of Croke, so it's not totally out of the question. Looks like next year, they will be taking the temporary stands approach at least in Zurich.

But in any case, I won't be shocked if there are no Dublin or Ireland gigs. Every past tour on which U2 have done two or more European legs, they have not played Ireland on at least one of those legs. The only example of U2 playing Ireland on two legs of the same tour is if you count Pre-War as a leg of the War Tour (they played Ireland shows on the Pre-War leg, none on the main European leg, then a gig at Phoenix Park on the festival leg).

Zurich???? How you know that? Announced? Where? When?.... :love:

But why are temporary stands needed?
Is there any other reason than LN not being able to charge a premium for a seat?
Is it not feasible just to plonk the claw in the middle of a field and have a big GA area around it? I mean some parks, in the UK at least, have naturally elevated views from the sides and facing stage.

'U2 270 and a bit on the floor tour'!:lol:

Roundhay Park, Leeds

img01720Correction.jpg

Milton Keynes Bowl

MK_Bowl_Concert.jpg

thanks,

i was at that simple minds show and there didn't seem to be that many people there!

I always assumed that all concerts in either Phoenix Park or Slane were all-standing, until the Stones played Slane in 2007 and there was seating erected for those too rich / old to stand for any length of time. But, the example of the likely 2010 Zurich concert indicates that non-stadium venues are being considered - even though this is contrary to Paul McGuinness's statement that the 360 Tour venues would only be tiered stadiums. Perhaps if there's problems finding a suitable stadium in a country they really want to play, it's only then that an open-field venue enters the equation? (Slightly off-topic question: why do U2 play the venue in Nice, as it's hardly the most spectacular or sizeable place? Presumably it's because it's pretty much their French backyard venue given the proximity to Eze?)

So, on the assumption that there'll even be Irish shows in 2010 (unlikelier by the day, admittedly), it would certainly open up the choice of venues. I think the Aviva Stadium should be ready by April 2010, and there's a vague rumour that Bon Jovi could be the first band to play there, as they're expected to tour again next year. I also understand the capacity to be somewhere in the region of 50,000, so there's no reason why U2 couldn't play there. But, since this is Ireland and there's always hassle from pressure groups / residents / politicians etc when U2 play at home, expect there to be opposition if they do play 2010 concerts, wherever the venue. If they want to play a bleak open field miles from anywhere, they should just forget about Dublin city and head to Punchestown instead. Or, better still, forget about the south, take a look at a map and remember that there's plenty of people in N Ireland who'd love to see them! (Even though there's no suitable stadium venue anywhere in N Ireland, it didn't stop them bringing PopMart to Belfast in 1997. But, the day that I see the Claw on N Irish soil would presumably be the day after hell freezes over!)

But, I agree with Axver's logic and am increasingly sceptical of there being any UK or Ireland shows next year, sad as that sounds.

I'd rather go see U2 than any World Cup :crack:

Besides the world soccer cup, another reason to play first US and then go back to Europe, might be a logistics reason...probably they save a lot of money if they don't have to ship 3 claws plus all extra stuff back to europe and then back to the US again....

I'm still hoping for some Dutch dates... :pray:
If not, it'll be the first time since the third leg of The Unforgettable Fire Tour (winter 1985) that there's a European leg without a Dutch show. :sad:

Don't they know we love them? In great numbers!

Sorry if this was already posted but just saw it in the big USA Today article on the band:

"The band's first tour under its 12-year deal with concert promoter Live Nation resumes May 30 in Mexico City, with U.S. dates to follow in June and July."

I always assumed that all concerts in either Phoenix Park or Slane were all-standing, until the Stones played Slane in 2007 and there was seating erected for those too rich / old to stand for any length of time. But, the example of the likely 2010 Zurich concert indicates that non-stadium venues are being considered - even though this is contrary to Paul McGuinness's statement that the 360 Tour venues would only be tiered stadiums. Perhaps if there's problems finding a suitable stadium in a country they really want to play, it's only then that an open-field venue enters the equation? (Slightly off-topic question: why do U2 play the venue in Nice, as it's hardly the most spectacular or sizeable place? Presumably it's because it's pretty much their French backyard venue given the proximity to Eze?)

So, on the assumption that there'll even be Irish shows in 2010 (unlikelier by the day, admittedly), it would certainly open up the choice of venues. I think the Aviva Stadium should be ready by April 2010, and there's a vague rumour that Bon Jovi could be the first band to play there, as they're expected to tour again next year. I also understand the capacity to be somewhere in the region of 50,000, so there's no reason why U2 couldn't play there. But, since this is Ireland and there's always hassle from pressure groups / residents / politicians etc when U2 play at home, expect there to be opposition if they do play 2010 concerts, wherever the venue. If they want to play a bleak open field miles from anywhere, they should just forget about Dublin city and head to Punchestown instead. Or, better still, forget about the south, take a look at a map and remember that there's plenty of people in N Ireland who'd love to see them! (Even though there's no suitable stadium venue anywhere in N Ireland, it didn't stop them bringing PopMart to Belfast in 1997. But, the day that I see the Claw on N Irish soil would presumably be the day after hell freezes over!)

But, I agree with Axver's logic and am increasingly sceptical of there being any UK or Ireland shows next year, sad as that sounds.

I think what it boils down is the band would want to play UK/Irish markets they didnt play this year. Whatever people may think I feel that market saturation was met at the gigs they played and they dont want to risk a low selling gig in high profile places such as Wembley, Cardiff and any chosen Dublin venue. There is very few, if any, other places they can play in the UK/Ireland given the criteria they are trying to meet

This probably goes for the rest of Europe too. Paris being the obvious exception of which i have no explanation for!

Sorry if this was already posted but just saw it in the big USA Today article on the band:

"The band's first tour under its 12-year deal with concert promoter Live Nation resumes May 30 in Mexico City, with U.S. dates to follow in June and July."
Great find mifyanks!

Here's the link to the article:

U2 turns 360 stadium tour into attendance-shattering sellouts - USATODAY.com

If May 30 is Mexico City, then they should hit the US right at the start of June. I doubt they'd want to take 10 days off after the first concert.

And by the way, with all the soccer/football/stadium availability talk, that date makes perfect sense as the final of the Mexican league should be a week or two beforehand. (Depending on if they want to end the season a little earlier for the World Cup.)

mattmcgee USA Today article says U2 2010 tour will start May 30 in Mexico City. (via @atu2)

I think what it boils down is the band would want to play UK/Irish markets they didnt play this year. Whatever people may think I feel that market saturation was met at the gigs they played and they dont want to risk a low selling gig in high profile places such as Wembley, Cardiff and any chosen Dublin venue. There is very few, if any, other places they can play in the UK/Ireland given the criteria they are trying to meet

This probably goes for the rest of Europe too. Paris being the obvious exception of which i have no explanation for!

true- Madonna did a second leg of her recent tour (in arenas) and they cancelled shows due to poor ticket sales (although they called them "technical problems") and elsewhere were offering up to 50% off on ticket prices- that said the show got a pasting in the media the first time round and when you're charging £185 (plus fees) for a seat at the back of the O2 then you're going to struggle to sell them

There must be more shows to announce- the second leg is 10 months away so who knows- but I'm not hopeful about UK/Ireland this time round. At the moment looks like I'll be heading off to mainland Europe if I want to see them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom