2003/2004 NHL Season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Michael Griffiths said:
Why does Alberta have to be so arctic like? They better have this game! Could they move it indoors if necessary?
The whole point of the game is to be outdoors. My company made that ice. Very cool stuff :up: Moving it indoors would defeat the whole purpose.

Oh, I agree. I would love it to remain outdoors - that is what will make this alumni so great, afterall. I'm just asking if it gets much too cold to play (blizzard, -30, etc), then do they have some kind of fall back plan? Someone just said they could reschedule for the Sunday, but what if it's like that the entire weekend? That's why playing indoors would at least be a good last option.

Because the Oilers vs. Canadians is an official NHL game this must happen...from the heretage site.

In case of inclement weather on Saturday, November 22, 2003, the Molson Canadian Heritage Classic will be played at Skyreach.

The legends game would probably be played before (one would hope). Because that would just be a big loss....just hope the weather cooperates.

It supposed to be sunny with a high of around -9 degrees Saturday. The game is going to be perfect and it will be outside. Way too much money and effort has been put into the organisation of this event to give up easily and run indoors. Sorry, but when you are part of the company that is making this game possible, you are fully aware of the blood, sweat and tears involved.
AND, the wonderful fact that Edmonton is so arctic-like aka. "The Great White North" is reason enough why the game was scheduled to be there in the first place.

Take a look, this is going to be spectacular:

DSCN5341.jpg

55 yard line in football, or team benches in hockey.
DSCN5390.jpg

haha!
DSCN5516.jpg

DSCN5493.jpg

Angel said:
I disagree, sorry. Plus it will never happen.
Point 1) What are you disagreeing with exactly? :scratch:
Point 2) Whatever it is you disagree with, no need to apologize! :hug:

I was simply asking in the unlikely event that the weather simply could not allow for an outdoor game (and yes, this is conceivable...a game could not be played in a full on -30 C. blizzard for example), then is there some kind of provisional plan to move indoors or reschedule. Now that both of those questions have been kindly answered (by Edgeman), all is well.

I was disagreeing with the likelihood of an indoor back up plan. A -30 degree blizzard in November is just not gonna happen, Edmonton or not. And I say sorry because I dunno. I am right and you're wrong. ;) :kiss:

Ah, thanks for clearing that up! But from what I hear, there have been -30 C. blizzards in Edmonton in November, and it has been known to be even colder on seldom occasion... good thing it looks like this weekend will be much nicer than that! Oh, and BTW - turns out you're wrong about the indoor backup plan afterall! :D

You're not from Edmonton are you Angel?

I wish there was a 24/7 webcam up for the construction of the rink. It would be on my comp al the time.

ok i am here to answer all your questions!

If it falls below -15C at game time without a windchill then the NHL game will be played on Sunday at Skyreach.

The ALumni game will played in Commenwealth pretty much no matter what. That will happen.

Second we got a shit load of snow today. Like 10-15 cm. It is pretty bad. The teams were supposed to practice on the outdoor ice today but couldnt because of the snow. Saturday loks alright but is gonna be pretty cold. But this is EDMONTON!

Oh and about the 24 hour camera. There is one. It was on Sporsnight last night (on global) it was extremely cool!

Also Claude Lemioux got added to the Montreal roster. AHHHHH i cant think of anyhting else. Oh, the Edmonton Eskimos will be honored for winning the Grey cup pryor to the game and Rod Phillips is rumored to get a award.

Edgeman - please settle this one question I have: what time EXACTLY does the legends game start? I've heard everything from 11:30 Pacific to 4:30 Eastern. On the CBC website, it says 4:30 pm (I assume Eastern), which means it should be on at 1:30 Pacific (2:30 pm Edmonton local time). Is this correct? I've also heard 1:30 Edmonton local time. Does anybody know???

From www.heritagehockeyclassic.com

Ford MegaStars Game ? The Edmonton Oilers alumni, led by Wayne Gretzky, takes on the Montreal Canadiens alumni, led by Guy Lafleur. Arguably two of hockey?s greatest teams face-off against each other in this highly anticipated game.
Saturday, November 22 3:00pm ? 4:00pm

I assume that the time is in Mountain standard time since that is the timezone we fall in. Wish I was going...but I'l settle for a bar with friends.

Cool, thanks. Does that mean the game is only going to be an hour long, or that it will start sometime between 3:00 and 4:00? LOL, sorry, had to ask (I don't expect an answer on this one...).

Do you know anyone who got tickets?

Apparently Gretzky said he isn't very good anymore. His exact words were, "I'm pretty bad." He said his hands and legs aren't quite what they used to be, so not to expect to see anything close to the player he once was. I'm sure it'll be fun anyway!

that's a pretty nice stadium!

I mean, I have only seen one CFL stadium (regina's), and it was pretty crappy compared to NFL standards...I thought. :shrug:

I love Commonwealth Stadium..although it is a bitch to walk by the endzone bar under the big screen...but cool none the less.

The legends game is for kicks, not skill...should be a really good time.

I know a guy from work who's going to the game...lucky bastard!

Ok, off the topic of the legends game, but I think it's high time Pittsburgh gave it up. This money issue is just getting pathetic. This kid has been getting alot of press and if they *want* revenue, it seems to me that they should let him stay in net and build up a buzz among fans.

I don't blame Pittsburgh for not shelling out money to see nothing but an aging Mario Lemieux--he still take his salary as both player and GM, or has he cut it for the interests of the team?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Money-losing Penguins considering demoting Fleury

By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer
November 19, 2003
PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Unless the Pittsburgh Penguins' attendance goes up, top draft pick Marc-Andre Fleury may be going down to junior hockey.

Penguins general manager Craig Patrick strongly hinted Wednesday night the money-losing Penguins might return Fleury to his junior team in Cape Breton unless their revenues pick up.

Fleury, the Penguins' first No. 1 draft pick since Mario Lemieux in 1984, has played the 10 games required to activate his $3.72 million, three-year contract.

Fleury also is well on his way to reaching the easily obtainable incentives that would boost his total compensation past $5 million, or about the same as owner-player Lemieux is making to play.

Fleury's incentive clauses don't kick in until he plays at least 20 minutes in each of 25 games, except that for finishing in the top five of the rookie of the year voting. Thus the Penguins could return him to his junior team before then and owe him only his $1.24 million base salary.

With no flexibility built into the Penguins' $26 million payroll and attendance sagging amid what is fast becoming a third consecutive losing season, they may decide they can't afford Fleury.

The Penguins drew fewer than 11,500 fans for the sixth consecutive home game Wednesday and haven't drawn even 14,000 since selling out their home opener.

``The No. 1 thing we look at are revenues,'' Patrick said. ``That plays a big part in all of our decisions. Second of all, we have to look at how we're doing on the ice, how he's doing on the ice, and whether or not it benefits him to go to the World Junior (championships) or to go back to junior.''

Fleury, who turns 19 on Nov. 28, is 3 1/2 years younger than any other NHL goalie. He was arguably the Penguins' most valuable player during the first month of the season, going 3-2-2 in his first seven starts and briefly leading NHL goalies in save percentage. He was chosen as the NHL's rookie of the month in October.

But Fleury lost three consecutive starts going into Wednesday night's game against the Wild, then was pulled for Sebastien Caron after giving up three goals on nine shots in 19 minutes, 28 seconds. It was the first time in Fleury's 12 NHL games he has been yanked for playing poorly.

The appearance in Pittsburgh's 6-2 loss Wednesday, that dropped Fleury's record to 3-6-2, does not count against his contract for incentive purposes because he played fewer than 20 minutes. A brief mop-up performance in a 9-0 loss at Tampa Bay on Nov. 8 also doesn't count.

Fleury said on Tuesday he would understand being returned to juniors for not playing well, but would be disappointed to go back just for money reasons. Because of his age, he can play only in junior hockey if he doesn't play in Pittsburgh and can't be sent to one of the Penguins' minor league teams.

One of Fleury's two agents, David Schatia, met with several team officials earlier in the day, adding to the speculation Fleury may not stay in Pittsburgh for the entire season.

I think it's time for the Penguins to just vanish from the NHL. A team that probably couldn't win in the WHL and has been rebuilding since the dawn of time should move the team, or just give it up.

Althought the vanishing of a team could damage the entire league. New owner? Couldn't hurt!

My bad, I said Lemeiux was GM. You can tell how much attention I pay to the Eastern Conference. :wink:

And there's the answer to my salary question. I think that is incredibly gutsy to pocket an additional $5 million to play on your own financially-strapped team.

There has to be some creative ways to fix their money problems, but the Penguins seem content to just blame the fans. I mean, have they lowered ticket prices? I bet fans would come if it was cheaper to watch their team lose, just to see the big names come through. I know I would. :shrug:

Hee hee hee.

I saw on TSN or some other sports show last night that Steve Shutt owns or runs (can't remember) the company that is putting the ice rink together. Angel, does this mean you work with Steve Shutt? I can't remember the name of the company.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom