(11-05-2002) Apocalypse Wow! - DotMusic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.dotmusic.com/

Tue 5 Nov 2002 15:55
APOCALYPSE WOW!

U2 are to feature the "mother of all rock'n'roll tunes" on their hugely anticipated new album, dotmusic can exclusively reveal.

The song, which has the working title of 'Full Metal Jacket', currently exists as a rough demo but frontman Bono has described the track as "remarkable".

"Larry and Adam haven't heard it yet," he explained. "But Edge brought round a CD of a new tune - just a provisional title, 'Full Metal Jacket' - It is the roughest, the mother of all rock'n'roll tunes.

"I don't know where it came from but it's a remarkable guitar thing. You want to hear it - it's a reason to make a record - this song is that good!"

Speaking during a global webchat on msn.com yesterday, band members Bono, Larry Mullen, the Edge (all in New York) and Adam Clayton (on holiday in Nepal) answered questions that had been submitted by fans across the world.

The band said they were unable to pinpoint the theme of the new long-player, but said they were enjoying the process of creating music again.

"We're at the great early phase where it's all about possibilities and nothing has to be ultimate," said the Edge. "You know, it doesn't have to be finished right now. We can try out all sorts of things and see where it takes us."

When asked if the band would like to work with any other artists in the future, Bono revealed his ambition to collaborate with a well-known Australian artist.

"We've been very lucky, we have worked with some of the greats," he said. "But Rolf Harris would definitely be high on my list"

"Steve Lilywhite (longtime U2 producer) said that one of the most innovative people he's ever worked with in a studio was Rolf Harris. He was famous for the song 'Two Little Boys' and in fact, on occasion, Edge and myself are known to sing it. So, big up Rolf!"

Elsewhere, the band reflected on their 20-year career, with Bono admitting that he regretted his 80s mullet. "I don't think people should ever look like their hair has been ironed," he said.

The band, who have made their name with groundbreaking and innovative live concerts, said their 1997 gig in Sarajevo was probably the highlight of their career so far.

"There have been a few moments that are really outstanding," said drummer Larry Mullen. "But the one that probably stands out more than any other one is Sarajevo.

"We played there on the 'PopMart' tour and there is no doubt that that is an experience I will never forget for the rest of my life.

"If I had to spend 20 years in the band just to play that show and to have done that, I think it would have been worthwhile. It was an amazing experience."

U2's greatest hits album, 'The Best of 1990-2000', was released in the UK this week.

elevation

Speaking from experience, let me just say: I'll hear it before I'll believe it, but still: It's good news if it's true :drool:. But then agian, could you imagine Bono say: Edge just came up with this crappy song, I'll say, it's our worst song ever!

Back
Top Bottom