(09-08-2006) U2 Back In The Studio With Rick Rubin, Green Day - Billboard*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
U2 Back In The Studio With Rick Rubin, Green Day

By Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

U2 is working on material for its next studio album with producer Rick Rubin, according to the band's Web site. The group has been at work on the as-yet-untitled follow-up to 2004's "How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" since last month. While in the studio, U2 will be joined by Green Day to record a cover of Scottish punk band the Skids' "The Saints Are Coming."

Proceeds from the track will benefit Music Rising, an instrument replacement fund co-founded by U2 guitarist the Edge last summer in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

"One year later, the devastation is still fresh in our minds, and we'd like to keep it in yours," Green Day said in a post on its Web site. "New Orleans has always been a special city to us, being a hotbed of music and creativity, and it's hard to believe parts of the Gulf region still remain devastated. We feel that it's important to continue to raise awareness."

Meanwhile, a DVD chronicling U2's Zoo TV tour will arrive Sept. 19 via Island/UME.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003118875

:hug:

A fragment of "The Saints Are Coming":
http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/music/artist/bio/0,,493915,00.html

The saints are coming

I cried to my daddy on the telephone
how long now
Until the clouds unroll and you come home
the line went
But the shadows still remain since your descent
your descent

The saints are coming, the saints are coming
No matter how I try, I realise there's no reply

A drowning sorrow floods the deepest grief
How long now
Until a weather change condemns belief
The stone says
This paternal guide once had his day
Once had his day

No matter how I try, I realise there's no reply

I'm simply psyched they are in the studio!
I'm also excited they are supporting the Edge and Music Rising (awesome name by the way)

As far as Billy and the boys partnering with Bono and the boys...i'm ALL for it>>better than Mary J!
U2 has always given GD their props so their is obvious mutual respect. I think it might be a "toss up" as to whether it will be a big part of the album, but it certainly will be the "peripheral interest" grabber.

by the way...GD has a nice web-site, much easier to navigate than U2.com. http://greenday.com

Wait a sec...we're worried about the Green Day song?! I mean, this is the confirmation we've been waiting for regarding the new album...and we're worried about a Green Day co-track cover.

:huh:

~A.j.~

Who cares about the Green Day thing...small change...the big money is with what Rick Rubin can pull out of the boys. They are in need of an album that rocks and rolls and let's them experiment some too...but mostly ROCKS!!!

:yes:

Wait Rick Rubin is working with now U2, Metallica, Linkin Park, and Velvet Revolver. WTF?

I see Rick Rubin hurting half of those bands next album.

Having the best producer at the moment in the world doesn't mean you will have another hit album.

I hope Rick Rubin survives Adam Clayton's puff of MJ. Rubin might push Bono's buttons and ask for more Cow Bell. :wink:

Tre Cool might go insane and fall head first on his drum riser.:wink: (seen that happen right in front of me in 2002 Hershey Park Stadium off the front of the stage)

This is brilliant. Tons of cross-platform potential here: U2 reaches the teen/college audience by teaming with Green Day (my 15 year old nephew loves them, hasn't a clue about anything U2 except Vertigo because he saw the iPod ads.) Green Day gets the imprimateur of the world's greatest rock band, which gives them an edge, no pun intened. Music Rising gets the proceeds and maybe help the schools restore their music programs, meaning we'll have a new generation of New Orleans musicians.

this is the best fucking news we could ask for.
you all want some change in the U2? you want something fresh from them? something that doesn't sound like ATYCLB and HTDAAB (2 albums I happen to find brilliant, btw)... well, here is the news we've been waiting to hear. if there is anyone that can bring it out of U2, by God it is Rick Rubin.

Hmmmmm. Maybe Rick Rubin. Rick Rubin notorious Pot Smoker, now shows his effects with U2 forcing Bono to play the Cow Bell. I would love to change my avatar and have the Evil Red eyes pictures of Rick Rubin hanging up at Metallica's Headquarters in the studio on top of the mixing board.:lol:

Now U2 bump Metallica and delayed their next album to come out later in the Fall or Winter of 2007.:mad:

Rick Rubin almost ran me over at the Staples Center leaving the men's bathroom. He was so huge I had to back up for him.

Well,with the Chris Thomas fiasco during the early sessions of HTDAAB,it should remind everyone that great producer+ great band,doesn't=great chemistry for sure.

Super_Fan said:
Wait Rick Rubin is working with now U2, Metallica, Linkin Park, and Velvet Revolver. WTF?

I see Rick Rubin hurting half of those bands next album.

Well, let's hope things go more like when Rubin helped Neil Diamond and Johnny Cash make great music again.

This is so great! I am so excited to hear that Rick Rubin will working with them.... I just hope that it doesn't come back and kick us in the ass....only time will tell

U2girl said:

Well, let's hope things go more like when Rubin helped Neil Diamond and Johnny Cash make great music again.

I doubt though that he'll get them to strip down and give everyone a more intimate sounding album.

I think he'll just produce their album the same way he's produced stuff for the Chili Peppers and other bands... Giving them that Rubin sound.

david said:

I doubt though that he'll get them to strip down and give everyone a more intimate sounding album.

I think he'll just produce their album the same way he's produced stuff for the Chili Peppers and other bands... Giving them that Rubin sound.

totally...

it won't be like Johnny Cash and Neil Diamond. It'll be like By The Way and Stadium Arcadium,

which to me is exactly the push U2 needs to get to that "strange transcendant space" bono was talking about so many months ago.

to me, if we are to hear anything more along the lines of POP and the nineties stuff, this is exactly what needed to happen.

david said:

I meant let's hope he'll get a great album out of them.

There's at least 2 articles on this page one might find interesting.

One about Rick Ruben and what was to be Weezer's new album.
That's been scrapped and they've decided not to use him.(no U2 mentioned)
But the other one, about 8 articles down, under the Trail Of Dead heading, it talks about Trail Of Dead's album getting pushed back to Jan. because of new albums by U2, No Doubt and Eminem coming out at roughly the same time. They are all with Interscope, of course.

I had to read it twice since I thought they were saying something I hadn't heard.
The U2 release has to be the Sydney DVD and/or the new U2 book.
New album would be great of course. :wink:

Complete article: http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/33685/Afghan_Whigs_Reunite

Back
Top Bottom