(03-12-2003) Edge's Sour Grapes? - UPI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.upi.com/

SOUR GRAPES AT ROCK HALL

The Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame annual induction dinner at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York Monday night has become a dyspeptic circus of bad feelings. Elvis Costello's induction was marred by bad feelings between Costello and an original member of the band who refused to participate in a reunion show. Costello flipped him the bird as he left the stage after accepting his award.

The Police, who did reunite, bickered over which songs to play and didn't hide their contempt for each other in public.

The biggest display of sour grapes on a night dedicated to the British punk rock movement came when U2's The Edge, in comments inducting The Clash, whined that if The Clash had come along 10 years earlier they would have given The Who, The Kinks et al a run for their money. That's like equating the White Stripes with the Velvet Underground. Without those groups there wouldn't have been a Clash -- the band's signature hit, "Should I Stay Or Should I Go," is a blatant Kinks rip-off (not that there's anything wrong with that). For that matter, U2 itself owes a tremendous debt to The Who, a fact even The Edge might have to own up to. Bono certainly does.

-0-

Am I the only one who doesn't understand what the hell this person is talking about? Sour grapes? It sounds like a compliment to me.

womanfish said:
Am I the only one who doesn't understand what the hell this person is talking about? Sour grapes? It sounds like a compliment to me.

WOMANFISH,

I AGREE WITH YOU HERE. IN FACT, IF YOU TAKE ALL THE EXAMPLES OF "SOUR GRAPES" GIVEN, THE ONE REGARDING THE EDGE DOESN'T FIT IN.

THE ONLY WAY THAT THIS MAY BE INTERPRETED AS SOUR GRAPES IS IF YOU LOOK AT THE EDGE'S QUOTE AND UNDERSTAND THAT THE EDGE MAY FEEL THAT THE CLASH IS JUST AS GOOD A BAND AS THE WHO AND THE KINKS, YET DIDN'T RECEIVE THE SAME ATTENTION AS THEIR PREDECESSORS. THAT'S ALL....

To call this sour grapes is nonsense. If the Edge doesn't feel that the Clash got recognized for what they did in the proper manner, that's just an honest opinion. I don't know why the idiot writer had to compare this statement to someone shooting the bird and people showing open contempt for each other. The press amazes me with its capacity for sheer stupidity.

Speaking as a journalist, this so-called writer gives journalists a bad name. :madspit: :madspit: :madspit: The only way Edge's comments could possibly be construed as "sour grapes" is if he himself were a member of the Clash. To me it is obvious that Edge was simply trying to praise the Clash, not belittle the Who or the Kinks. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't all four members of U2 induct the Who into the Rock Hall of Fame??

It is unfortunate that the only clash song that top 40 radio would ever approve was in my opinion one of their worst ( Should I Stay or Should I Go, Rock the Casbah) but please, please if only to appease me listen to London Calling it's a friggin AMAZING album.

arw9797 said:
I've never heard Bono "own up to" The Who. Just the Clash and Ramones, and a couple of others, but no the The Who.

He inducted the who into the rock and roll hall of fame.. he said they were the main influence for u2. (i saw the video of it at the rock hall..he said to be a great rock band you must have a great nose (pete!)) Bono-who isn't your main influence?

that article is a load of crap. just cos a song was used in a jeans ad...

:tsk:

WHATEVER!!!

My two cents-

I don't know about you, but I laughed when I read it. I don't know what Costello's deal was, but that's his own personal problem, and it doesn't affect me in any way. I don't care unless fists started flying through the air, and then we're talking about a story. Then when I read about what the Police did, I just busted out laughing. When I read that they played for the first time in 18 years, my first instinct was "How did they do it without knocking each other to the floor?" "Did they really get along that evening?" Well, that answers that question. Any huge Police fan knows better, and I'm one of them. And the deal about what The Edge said is taken out of context. I agree he was trying to make The Clash sound like they were one of the best groups out there, and they were! Give me the name of a band that doesn't have an influence, I DARE YOU! So again, WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL?! I'm going to rename this article as the following:

"A Typical Night With Rock Stars at the Rock Hall"

I'm a big fan of Elvis Costello's. I don't give a damn if he shot the bird at someone, I've shot the bird at people who've irked me too. I've put "London Calling" on my "to-get CD List".

well, you know, edge and speeches.
a run for yer money,3 blade razors and orgasmatrons :)
and artists.... phfftt, big show, lotsa tension, ..it happens:)
How did the White Stripes get on that list?
That's a good line-up, Elvis Costello, The Police, The Clash , with Edge in da house as a bonus...I would have liked to be there.
The journalist was grasping for words...and got the wrong ones. How dare he say Edge "whines", unless he was grasping yet again. A pun, grapes, whine? That's even worse.

yeah boo hiss to that journalist.

Back
Top Bottom