(02-17-2005) A Bono-Fied Religion -- LA Times*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
A Bono-Fied Religion

By Geoff Boucher, Times Staff Writer

I have been thinking about religion a lot lately. This is surprising because in 1981 the nuns at St. Stephens politely suggested to my mother that I might be better suited for public school. After you get pinched for selling pages of Playboy at recess you don't get 20 Hail Marys — the sisters show you the door. Anyway I thought that was it for me.

But now, well, I just turned 35, and my wife informed me that is pretty much middle age because she doesn't expect me to be pushing past 70. My knees can't take the Catholic aerobics anymore (stand-sit-kneel, stand-sit-kneel) and you need a SAG card for cabala or Scientology. I would need to find my own path. Then I heard the voice of a higher power.

"Hello, hello, hola!" It was Bono. The truth came in an iPod commercial, which is, I guess, not that surprising. He was wearing black leather pants, which, I'll grant you, is not your traditional prophet look, but I knew that this man, this humanitarian, this rocker, would be the star I would use to navigate my life.

W.W.B.D. What would Bono do?

It would be my new life framework.

Once, Bono was a human like the rest of us. His name was Paul something but, like the Dalai Lama, he got a cool holy name. Bono Vox. It's Latin for "good voice." Or maybe it means "big noise." My Latin really suffered in public school. Anyway, he became a rock star. He played Live Aid and then, unlike Phil Collins or those other part-time do-gooders, my man Bono went to feed famine victims. He has palled around with the pope and President Clinton, sang with Johnny Cash and Frank Sinatra, and used the F-word on the Golden Globes, prompting the FCC to create the "Bono rule." U2 is getting inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this year, and I'm guessing the short list of people to induct Bono includes Mick Jagger and Nelson Mandela.

Keep your yoga and your Yoda. This guy is the path to enlightenment.

I got an iPod and had it engraved. Three Chords and the Truth. It's a line from "Rattle and Hum" that Bono stole from a great country songwriter named Harlan Howard, but hey, you don't think John the Baptist copped a good line if he heard one? I began wearing sunglasses at inappropriate times of day. I surrounded myself with supermodels. Well, actually it was magazines with supermodels.

I have followed Bono before. In the 1980s I got an ill-advised haircut modeled on the singer's Dublin mullet. This time I knew it was about something more important than the way you get your hair cut, even if my wife was too dense to get it. "You want to buy leather pants? Why do you want to buy leather pants?"

"Why? Because I have scaled these city walls, these city walls, only to be with you. But I still haven't found what I'm looking for." She didn't say anything, so I guess she finally is getting it.

I didn't get the pants, but I began staging press conferences to laud the social value of Third World debt relief. There's one next Tuesday if you're free. I also asked my best friend to wear a ski cap and hold a guitar whenever he stands next to me. At Trader Joe's, I reminded the clerk of the wisdom of Saint Bono: "I don't believe the Devil, I don't believe his book. But the truth is not the same without the lies he made up." I was very satisfied with the solemn way she nodded. This church is going to be great. I could sell tickets.

THIS GUY IS THE PATH TO ENLIGHTENMENT - :bow:

What a light-hearted but essentially true article about Bono!

All I will add is something Guggi said a while back - Angels will walk amongst us and we will see them not.

For the record - I do.

THE GOAL IS SOUL....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

That was a hilarious, but more true than he might realize. My favorite quote about Bono along these lines is from Drew Carey, who said "Do you want to see my wristband? It says, 'What would Bono do?' He's like Christ, I'm telling you. He's like Christ and Bob Dylan rolled into one."

Again, more truth to that statement than many people might realize. (I actually think he's more like Christ than Dylan myself).

McPhister..I don't think you have a choice....about the tix, I mean:(

And he did get one thing wrong: It isn't the "Bono rule", it hasn't been known by that name, nor was it created after the Globes. It should be called the "Janet Jackson rule." In '02, the CBS people just kind of laughingly shrugged it off...b/c Bono has such a saintly rep, they let things slide with him that other people couldn't get away with. But in the hysteria after the JJ thing, the FCC went on a witch-hunt and the networks spasmed in response, instituting an orgy of self-censorship that has reached ridiculous levels. (Not being able to show "Saving Private Ryan" even though it has been shown on TV before? And.._Private Ryan"_?") The impostion of "delays" on awards shows wasn't mandated until then.

"Why? Because I have scaled these city walls, these city walls, only to be with you. But I still haven't found what I'm looking for." She didn't say anything, so I guess she finally is getting it.
:cute:

This article reminds of Bono’s words transcribed in Neil MacCormick’s book, that I’ve been reading. I’ll probably start a thread about that.
I loved the article and I find Jamila’s and coemgen’s posts very touching.

What a great article! And there is more truth to it than this guy realizes...or maybe he does, but he figures he'll get laughed at if he doesn't write in such light-hearted terms.

But this was my favorite part: "I also asked my best friend to wear a ski cap and hold a guitar whenever he stands next to me." LOL!!

Jamila said:
THIS GUY IS THE PATH TO ENLIGHTENMENT - :bow:

What a light-hearted but essentially true article about Bono!

All I will add is something Guggi said a while back - Angels will walk amongst us and we will see them not.

For the record - I do.

THE GOAL IS SOUL....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Amen to that!!!!!!!!!!!

I do too!!!

This was a great article that was fun to read and made me :giggle: and at the same time gave a sense of awareness too.
I so agree with this Bono is a very special soul!!! :hug: And Prophet!:wink:

Here's another funny blurb about Bono being Christ-like. It's from a Rolling Stone feature where they made up celebrity reality shows. Bono's was called "Stuck in a Moment With Bono."
"Sure, it's all glamour on the surface, but when you get "behind the shades" with Bono, you'll meet an ordinary Irish guy who just likes to heal the sick, command the lame to walk, cast demons out of the Edge and feed wretched swarms of lepers with a crust of bread. Tonight: Bono has a sidesplitting run-in with the Pharisees next door, who bring him a Samaritan woman caught in the act of adultery."

Pretty freaking hilarious if you ask me.
:wink:

AvsGirl41 said:
I often joke that Bono will probably be made a saint someday. ;) My Catholic friends don't really appreciate it.

I'm a Catholic U2 fan who doesn't mind jokes like this about Bono one bit! Although I don't know if getting the Pope to put on your glasses would be considered a miracle............:wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom