Opening Night Setlist Predictions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They have poor taste at times, but they're not dumb.

Considering Bono shot a video clip for the official site about the themes behind it, I'm sure he's well aware that it fits with what's on SOI.

The fact that they even considered leaving it out, excites me for the intimate nature of the upcoming live performances.

Well, I was saying that the band could have felt it didn't fit. Lyrically and sonically, it certainly does.

In a big way, I feel like it's chapter one of the album's story. It's Bono asking for his parents' permission to go off on his journey, and then defying them.

Also, track 3 is always a special place on U2 albums. It's WoWY's slot. Which makes more sense there: Every Breaking Wave or California?

Invisible is track one.

Now, where to put Ordinary Love in the tracklist????

1. Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
2. Bullet (orchestra)
3. Playboy Mansion/Vertigo(snippet)
4. Vertigo
5. GOYB
6. Stand Up Comedy
7. Red Light
8. Walking On Sunshine
9. GYOB (acoustic)
10. Zoo Station (acoustic)
11. Adam Karaoke
12. Grace (but played to the tune of mofo)
13. GOYB
14. Ordinary Love
Encore: The band brings live wolves on stage.
15. Raised By Wolves
16. GOYB
17. Elevation
18. Vertigo
Encore 2: They enter by coming out of a giant volcano.
19. Volcano
20. Vertigo
21. Elevation
22. GOYB
23. The Miracle/Vertigo(snippet)
Encore 3: Bono wears assless chaps and is shirtless.
24. Big Girls Are Best
25. Vertigo
26. GYOB
27. The Refugee/Elevation(snippet)
28. Exit

Fuck Streets

s5t7iokjhj_zps0fca5b35.gif

Ordinary Love is probably a bit less likely. Too tied to the film/Mandela and it's not exactly the most exciting thing they've done. Again, another lock for that hypothetical third Best Of.

With any luck, we've heard the last of Ordinary Love. It's clearly the worst song in U2's "new era" and there's not a single song on the new album that's not miles better than Ordinary Love. What song from the new record, or from their back catalogue, should they cut to make room for this clunker? Given the relative lyrical comeback for Bono on this record, I'm not sure why he'd want to return to this embarassment.

I just don't see a place of for it in the set list. Thematically, it has even less to do with the themes on the new record than it had to do with Nelson Mandela (which was nothing). Talk about something that will go off like a lead balloon in concert. Though who knows, maybe they'll turn it into the obligatory Bono/Edge acoustic break (i.e. the audience bathroom break). And no doubt we'll hear it again whenever Winnie Mandela is in the news.

I do hope and think they'll play Invisible. Possibly as the closer.

With any luck, we've heard the last of Ordinary Love. It's clearly the worst song in U2's "new era" and there's not a single song on the new album that's not miles better than Ordinary Love. What song from the new record, or from their back catalogue, should they cut to make room for this clunker? Given the relative lyrical comeback for Bono on this record, I'm not sure why he'd want to return to this embarassment.

I just don't see a place of for it in the set list. Thematically, it has even less to do with the themes on the new record than it had to do with Nelson Mandela (which was nothing). Talk about something that will go off like a lead balloon in concert. Though who knows, maybe they'll turn it into the obligatory Bono/Edge acoustic break (i.e. the audience bathroom break). And no doubt we'll hear it again whenever Winnie Mandela is in the news.

I do hope and think they'll play Invisible. Possibly as the closer.

I'll be very sad if Invisible is dead. I still love it.
Ordinary Love would be good if only played on occasion.

Bono showed that he can do some impressive vocals on Ordinary Love when they played it live. I would be very surprised if an acoustic version doesn't show up at least a few times.

You mean "Presented by Apple"? I'd give it a 50% chance.

And if it puts downward pressure on concert ticket prices, which it should, you bet.

I'm not very good at predictions but:

Invisible - out.

Streets - in.

Miracle / Joey Ramone - in.

Plus 19 to 21 other songs that I predict will get debated page after page, and that's all good.

When U2 played the Joshua Tree tour, they opened with Where the Streets Have No Name. It welcomed us into the new sound.

ZOOTV opened with Zoo Station and then a flurry of Achtung songs. It enveloped us in the new sound.

POP began with Mofo. From the start it felt very different from past tours. We were inthe thick of the new sound.

etc.

I think the first track matters. I don't just want to see "A" U2 show. I want to experience the new U2, the U2 which only exists at this moment in time, and will be gone soon. I don't want to feel that U2 is great and they happen to have some new songs. I want to experience the new album, and then half-way through have them remember the identities they used to have at different periods in their career.

I want an Innocence show, not a U2 show.

:up:

Especially on the first go around.

Obviously, I didn't suggest they only play 2 Soi songs.

When U2 played the Joshua Tree tour, they opened with Where the Streets Have No Name. It welcomed us into the new sound.

All the shows opened by Stand By Me/C'mon Everybody rang. They say hi.

ZOOTV opened with Zoo Station and then a flurry of Achtung songs. It enveloped us in the new sound.

POP began with Mofo. From the start it felt very different from past tours. We were inthe thick of the new sound.

etc.

I think the first track matters. I don't just want to see "A" U2 show. I want to experience the new U2, the U2 which only exists at this moment in time, and will be gone soon. I don't want to feel that U2 is great and they happen to have some new songs. I want to experience the new album, and then half-way through have them remember the identities they used to have at different periods in their career.

I want an Innocence show, not a U2 show.

I see your point about the first song having a role in setting the tone, and I definitely appreciate that you want a specific experience of a particular U2 era. However, I think opening the show with a new song is just a way of doing that, not the only way. Imagine a set with every song from SOI sprinkled throughout it - a couple of rockers at the start, something slower in the middle for atmosphere, an acoustic b-stage track, a big single at the end, The Troubles to close, etc. How does that become any less of an SOI experience because, say, Beautiful Day or Pride opens the show rather than a new song? Especially if that old song is part of a seamless, effective opening sequence that includes new songs?

As I have already said, fixation on a specific setlist slot being filled by songs from a specific album is an overly narrow perspective and misses the point; you can achieve the same goal multiple ways.

All the shows opened by Stand By Me/C'mon Everybody rang. They say hi.

I see your point about the first song having a role in setting the tone, and I definitely appreciate that you want a specific experience of a particular U2 era. However, I think opening the show with a new song is just a way of doing that, not the only way. Imagine a set with every song from SOI sprinkled throughout it - a couple of rockers at the start, something slower in the middle for atmosphere, an acoustic b-stage track, a big single at the end, The Troubles to close, etc. How does that become any less of an SOI experience because, say, Beautiful Day or Pride opens the show rather than a new song? Especially if that old song is part of a seamless, effective opening sequence that includes new songs?

As I have already said, fixation on a specific setlist slot being filled by songs from a specific album is an overly narrow perspective and misses the point; you can achieve the same goal multiple ways.

Stand By Me was great, as were the other covers, but it was really the warm up. The show really started with WTSHNN.

I would love to have them play the whole new album, but you're suggesting a nonexistent opposite relationship between what song they open with and how many tracks from the new album they play. I don't see any reason why that would be.

I don't have anything to add. I think the opening song sets the tone for the show. There's no moment in the night with the excitement of track one. I want that to be a song from the new album. And yes, I hope they play as many new songs as possible as well.

If U2 don't feel the confidence in the new material to open with it, maybe it wasn't time to release the album yet. A new album should be strong enough to open with a track from it.

Stand By Me was great, as were the other covers, but it was really the warm up. The show really started with WTSHNN.

Er, do you know the shows I mean? Streets was not played at them. The first JT song was fourth - and it was Trip Through Your Wires, of all songs.

I don't have anything to add. I think the opening song sets the tone for the show. There's no moment in the night with the excitement of track one. I want that to be a song from the new album. And yes, I hope they play as many new songs as possible as well.

If U2 don't feel the confidence in the new material to open with it, maybe it wasn't time to release the album yet. A new album should be strong enough to open with a track from it.

I'm saying there are many ways to define the show's tone. The opening song is just one of them.

But you are taking this opening song business as a point of faith, so unless you're willing to be rational about this discussion then I'm uninterested in pursuing this further.

Its going to be the "THERE'S NO END TO LOVE TOUR" they will open with The Miracle of Joey Ramone...start with whoos just like Elevation.......Done..;)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using U2 Interference mobile app

Anyone else think MOS would be a great segue into streets? I think it would have the potential to reach Please-Streets good. (Which is the best streets segue that exists btw).

Ok, I'll bite. Here is a prediction:

1. The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
2. California
3. Volcano
4. Cedarwood Road
5. Vertigo
6. Beautiful Day
7. Every Breaking Wave
8. I still Haven't Found What I'm Looking for
9. Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own
10. Ordinary Love
11. Angel of Harlem
12. Desire
13. Mysterious Ways
14. Until the End of the World
15. I Will Follow
16. Pride
17. Streets

encore
17. Raised by Wolves
18. Iris
19. City of Blinding Lights
20. One

21. With or Without You
22. Song for Someone

:up:

Perhaps not what i would want exactly, but if were a betting man...

But you are taking this opening song business as a point of faith, so unless you're willing to be rational about this discussion then I'm uninterested in pursuing this further.

Not faith. Opinion. I disagree with you. It's not a complicated debate. Your point doesn't move me.

Open with a new song, or GTFO.

Back
Top Bottom