The Troubles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One thing I am a little shocked with is they went total acoustic with ebw, not even bringing drums and bass near the end like they where doing, I think that would go over well more than this version

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Only one thing is weird. To start a song with pre recorded vocals. I don´t mind it throghout the song, but I wish they cut out it on the beginning

This is song is so powerful! Absolutely love Edge's extended solo in the end, it's exactly how it sounded in my imagination when hearing the album. The extended solo is an obvious part of this song!

This is song is so powerful! Absolutely love Edge's extended solo in the end, it's exactly how it sounded in my imagination when hearing the album. The extended solo is an obvious part of this song!

I agree, it was amazing. The album always felt like someone shut off the recording before the song was properly finished, so loved seeing it in concert! :drool:

I honestly don't know where this fits. Needs to be there, but there doesn't seem to be a logical spot for it

My solution would be to go Bullet -> Troubles -> WOWY -> BD -> Pride to close out the main set if they want a place for it without adding any new songs or subtracting any of the others. That would kill the stupid Hands segue, fit The Troubles somewhere it isn't sandwiched between a bunch of big hits certain to earn it a worse reception, restore the Bullet / Quieter-but-intense song pairings of yore *and* preserve the pretty good Troubles / WOWY segue.

Of course the band adore the aforementioned stupid Hands segue, so it won't happen.

Yep, fuck HTBA, nobody wants to hear that anyway. Bullet--->Troubles--->WOWY.

While we're at it, cut acoustic EBW and move a full band version to another spot. I've heard it live twice; there's got to be a better transition into Bullet than acoustic EBW.

Yep, fuck HTBA, nobody wants to hear that anyway. Bullet--->Troubles--->WOWY.

While we're at it, cut acoustic EBW and move a full band version to another spot. I've heard it live twice; there's got to be a better transition into Bullet than acoustic EBW.

I like the idea of Troubles ---> Bullet with the intensity of Edge's solo leading into Bullet.

Troubles ---> Bullet ---> RTSS or One Step Closer ---> WOWY ---> Pride

They're probably not moving EBW off of the piano. I do think that Troubles into Bullet could be good, too. EBW - > Troubles - >Bullet is fine. Bono can hold that long note at the end of EBW and then Lyyke Li can pipe in and Larry can hit the drum... then "Someone else was in control" after the extended solo immediately into Bullet. Should work.

My solution would be to go Bullet -> Troubles -> WOWY -> BD -> Pride to close out the main set if they want a place for it without adding any new songs or subtracting any of the others. That would kill the stupid Hands segue, fit The Troubles somewhere it isn't sandwiched between a bunch of big hits certain to earn it a worse reception, restore the Bullet / Quieter-but-intense song pairings of yore *and* preserve the pretty good Troubles / WOWY segue.

Of course the band adore the aforementioned stupid Hands segue, so it won't happen.

This would definitely be preferable. I think there will be some sort of change come the second leg, because there's no way they can keep doing the Hands / American Blow Job thing in Europe.

I think it's safe to say The Troubles and Miracle Drug have been permanently dropped.

I think it's safe to say The Troubles and Miracle Drug have been permanently dropped.

I wouldn't say that - think at least The Troubles has a decent chance of making an appearance sometime during the NYC shows. I think Miracle Drug is truly dead because NY City of Blinding Lights and all, although I would not be 100% shocked if MD did make an appearance.

The Troubles will definitely be back soon, and I think it'll actually become a regular in europe.

you guys also said it was dead after the first night.

I called Miracle Drug dead at the end of the LA run of five and stand by that. It was a bit of a rotational experiment and it was clear very quickly that COBL was the more popular choice.

The Troubles, on the other hand, I don't think is dead at all. I'm surprised it didn't show up in Boston - but it was in a draft setlist. I'm sure it will be done at least one night in NYC, and that extensive work will go into it before Europe. I think then they'll make a call. If they work on it before the start of the second leg and then it doesn't make it into the first few sets, that will mean they've probably decided it's too much effort and killed it off. I won't be shocked if Troubles is done as a special thing in Stockholm, given Lykke Li is Swedish... if it then fails to make any of the next eight shows in Berlin and Barcelona, it's dead.

Imo it's amazing as it is, with recorded Lykke Li part and those visuals (haven't attended any shows, but I doubt that my feeling about this would be any different).
It doesn't matter where in the second half of the show they play it as long as they do, but I think they could have built the encore around it right from the start.
Gone->Troubles->BDay->Bad->40 could be a nice one.

Last edited:
It's back! Hoping it's a staple of the encore for the next leg. It deserves to be be integral to the show, a la Love is Blindness.

Back
Top Bottom