20 July 2009 Amsterdam Arena, Amsterdam, NL - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Fan Experiences, Reviews, & Tour Photos
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2009, 08:06 PM   #1
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:20 PM
20 July 2009 Amsterdam Arena, Amsterdam, NL

Please post pics, experiences, reviews of this show here.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:47 PM   #2
The Fly

Local Time: 02:20 AM
Finally I've made it back home....but WOW!!!!!! What a show!

The Arena had almost a lift off....the energy of the band was enormous. Maybe because Bono's grandmother was in stands? All 4 guys were smiling during the whole concert....

Highligts for me personally were, Get on your boots,Mysterious ways, Vertigo, Unforgettable Fire, and the crazy remix(turned the place into a disco.
Bono's LED jacket was only working on the left side during ultra violet..that was a shame, and they didn't use the smokemachines during Ultra Violet as much as in previous shows.

Tommorrow back to the Arena for part II !

Old 07-20-2009, 11:08 PM   #3
Anu
Editor

Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Local Time: 12:20 AM
Thanks Skidevil!!!
Old 07-21-2009, 03:04 AM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 01:20 AM
Yeah, a fabulous show! Bono told the audience the trick was to turn the stadium into a smaller venue, like the Paradiso where they played as teenagers, and they damn well almost managed it. I got to my seat just before the end of Breathe and, because the roof was closed, I was hit by the heat when I entered the arena - it felt as hot as a small sweaty venue.

I love the Unknown Caller / Unforgettable Fire sequence, it's the highlight of the show for me, closely followed by Moment Of Surrender, NLOTH and MLK - the songs that showcase Bono's voice. The whole audience seemed to go into a deep general trance during UF, hypnotised by the dazzling light display on the lowered video wall which causes the band to become almost invisible, or very hard to spot at least, so you're hit by this wall of music seeming to come from nowhere.

But Bono's voice is simply astounding, especially on MoS. The band seem to appreciate his singing too as they all applauded him or gave him pats on the back after In A Little While.

The crowd were great too, very raucous, very enthusiastic. I think Bono said a few things in Dutch too, which got the biggest cheer.

Bono also sank to his knees and murmured a fairly long prayer at the end of MoS which I didn't catch, before singing a few lines of 40. Someone in the pit had been holding up a sign saying 40 during the show. The band all waited with instruments poised to see if Bono would call them to play it, and I was silently urging them to, but alas he didn't.

But a great concert, it's lovely to see the band seem to really enjoy playing together and interacting with the audience from the walkway and the bridges.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:19 AM   #5
Acrobat

First, I had my doubts about the I'll Go Crazy remix, but now that I've seen it live it turned out to be one of the highlights of the show. Very great to hear that Bono has got a much better voice than he had in the Vertigo tour.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:04 AM   #6
The Fly

Wow, what a night. In the inner circle between Bono and Edge, great place to see the show. Indeed, the Crazy Remix rocks beyond belief, it definitely brings the house down. Highlights include No Line, Boots, Moment of Surrender, Ultraviolet, the sequence from Unknown Caller until Crazy Tonight is magic

The "Classics" sounded fresh as well.

Goosebump moments:
1) Larry appearing on-stage
2)Edge and Adam crossing the bridges simultaneously just before Get on your boots' bridge (pun not intended )
3)The link between Magnificent and Beautiful Day
4)Desmond Tutu shouting like crazy at the end of his " speech" /followed by the famous red lights
5)Bono's voice during Ultraviolet and Moment of Surrender

All four of them were having great fun, and were on the top of their game, but Bono might just have been the " best band member"

It was also good to see the band pay attention to the people in the back, they were going crazy as well and it was very nice to see this.

All in all I would rank this show above the Vertigo Tour shows I saw (Brussels and Amsterdam 1) certainly production-wise but also performance-wise. I'm ready for the second night and praying for ES or Stay
Old 07-21-2009, 04:33 AM   #7
Refugee

fabulous night

probably the best u2 show of the decade that i've seen

awesome performance, awesome sound, awesome crowd
Old 07-21-2009, 04:43 AM   #8
Refugee

That's a good point about the sound. I'd read the many posts on the other thread about the crap sound in the Arena, and most people I met at the stadium said it would probably be shit. I was behind the stage on Adam's side and the sound was great: chunky and clear, with all the parts of the music easily discernible.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:00 AM   #9
The Fly

The concert was awesome! I liked the mix. Well it all was so great. Bono's voice was very good, and it seemed that they had a lot of fun. And so did we!

Here 1 pic!

Old 07-21-2009, 05:37 AM   #10
The Fly

I dont know if i can post it here, but i have filmed a big part of one.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:47 AM   #11
Refugee

^^Wow, thanks for posting! I had a fun time last night, amazing concert!

The sound was also very good, I didn't expect that in the Arena.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:01 AM   #12
The Fly

Bonoa, With GA tickets the sound was also good! But i heard from people in the back of the stadium that the sound was bad and that they heard everything 3 times
Old 07-21-2009, 06:11 AM   #13
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ageeth View Post
Bonoa, With GA tickets the sound was also good! But i heard from people in the back of the stadium that the sound was bad and that they heard everything 3 times
oh no!
Old 07-21-2009, 06:46 AM   #14
Refugee

the last couple of concerts that i have seen in the Arena had great sound (Stones, Springsteen and now U2), especially as compared to the crappy sound that the Arena had in the early days which really was horrible (it was built in '97 i believe). I think that technicians have learned how to deal with this place.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:48 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:20 AM
It certainly was better than it was a few years ago. I mean the sound then was just horrible