Predictions: How much will the set change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Judging from the rehearsal reports/recordings:

Get on Your Boots
Magnificent
Glastonbury
Soon/Beautiful Day
Elevation
Mysterious Ways
Gone
New Year's Day
In a Little While
The Unforgettable Fire
Until the End of the World
Unknown Caller
City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Crazy Tonite/Discotheque
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
Miss Sarajevo
Where the Streets Have No Name

Encore:

Ultraviolet
"For your Love"
Moment of Surrender

Do you think that they might still surprise us on friday with a song that they haven't rehearsed on stage yet - just like they did with ES last year? They didn't play HMTMKM for a long time, but for me it's not a rarity like UV was; it was single hit and appeared on their second Best of at least. I still want to believe in Acobat as a surprise song in the encore... It would fit perfectly between HMTMKMKM and WOWY!

Judging from the rehearsal reports/recordings:

Get on Your Boots
Magnificent
Glastonbury
Soon/Beautiful Day
Elevation
Mysterious Ways
Gone
New Year's Day
In a Little While
The Unforgettable Fire
Until the End of the World
Unknown Caller
City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Crazy Tonite/Discotheque
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
Miss Sarajevo
Where the Streets Have No Name

Encore:

Ultraviolet
"For your Love"
Moment of Surrender

I Wish U2 Would Drop Elevation,In A Little While,Until The End Of The World,Sunday Bloody Sunday,and New Years Day and add Night And Day,Lemon,Surrender,Your Blue Room or Electrical Storm and Please or Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Last edited:
I Wish U2 Would Drop Elevation,In A Little While,Until The End Of The World,Sunday Bloody Sunday,and New Years Day and add Night And Day,Lemon,Surrender,Your Blue Room or Electrical Storm and Please or Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Wouldn't you like it too if they played on your yard a private show, give you all of their demos and unfinished songs as a gift and Bono putting you to sleep?

This definitely was a great show!

They were elated to be back together and playing for the audience, and Bono definitely impressed me by moving around like nothing ever happened!

I know I will get accused of being a selfish jerk by some in these parts, but I am doing nothing of the sorts. I am just pointing out what many here have already pointed out.

-ATYCLB songs in no way fit stadiums.

-ATYCLB, though a GREAT album, does not hold up to previous works like War, UF, JT and AB. The others are just better, most here would agree.

-ATYCLB, from a perception sense, is no newer and is no less relying on the back catalog than playing an equivalent amount of songs from any album before it. All that matters from a "lets prevent the nostalgia label" standpoint is that U2 are playing 6 new songs. I advocate 2 from HTDAAB and 2 from ATYCLB, plus I add NLOTH(the track) into the mix to give us 11 2000s songs. Anyone still want to tell me I am asking U2 to rely on their back catalogue????

All I am saying is that it baffles the hell out of me why U2 relies on an album that is not new and in no way fits the stadium spectacle that is the 360 tour. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't even have to make any subjective judgement about ATYCLB's quality to conclude what I just concluded.

So I present, not a radical wish list or an unrealistic makeover, but a nice little tweaking of the opening night set that would have improved it by leaps and bounds!

I am going to present tonight's set list with my changes in red. See how little red you observe

(Stingray Guitar Intro) -I don't count it as a set list slot, U2 does.

1.)Beautiful Day
2.)Magnificent
3.)Get On Your Boots
4.)Mysterious Ways
5.)Still Haven't Found
6.)North Star
7.)Glastonbury
8.)No Line On The Horizon -Swap for Elevation.
9.)In A Little While
10.)Miss Sarajevo
11.)Until The End of The World
12.)The Unforgettable Fire
13.)City of Blinding Lights
14.)Vertigo
15.)Crazy Remix/Discotheque
16.)Sunday Bloody Sunday
17.)MLK/An Sun Sui Kyi Bono speech and video tribute
18.)Bad -replaces Walk On
-------------------Tutu Video-------------------------------------------------
19.)One/Amazing Grace
20.)Where The Streets Have No Name
---------------------Encore---------------------------------------------------
21.)Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
22.)Out of Control -An addition I get by not counting intro.
23.)With or Without You
24.)Moment of Surrender

Comments

-There seems to be an emerging consensus here that NLOTH is really missed. I brought that one back. Plus, it always worked. It should be the first NLOTH song added back. Breathe is a great live track, U2 should bring it back when they find a home for it besides opening. UC was a nice effort, glad they did it, but a sad bathroom break. I would count this one as not going down well live.

-Swapping Elevation, which most agree needs to go, seems like a fair price to pay for getting NLOTH back. Slot 8 in the Set list was right around where it settled at the end of the last leg, and it worked very well.

-Leaving Miss Sarajevo is not a commentary on how I want the rest of the tour to go, just making an alternate 8/6 set.

-Dropping Walk On for Bad, along with the aforementioned dropping of Elevation, makes room for the return of a U2 live classic that everyone loves and cuts the ATYCLB dose down to a very reasonable 2.

-Adding in Out of Control in the encore, to go alongside Bad,TUF, MLK and JT big 3 in the main set, gives 80s live classics-from the entire decade- a decent level of representation for the 1st time on 360!!!!

Plus, Out Of Control is just full of energy and will kick your ass, rest assured!

U2387 has produced yet another excellent post. I agree that the reliance on ATYCLB is bizarre. I would add three more changes to his revised setlist, though. I would replace WOWY with Gone, which is just as dark and references a certain 'suit of lights'. I would remove the Tutu/One segment and replace it with a ZOO TV style RTSS seguing majestically into Streets. Finally, I would bring in UV for IALW, and put it in the encore with Out of Control filling IALW's old slot.

-ATYCLB songs in no way fit stadiums.

-ATYCLB, though a GREAT album, does not hold up to previous works like War, UF, JT and AB. The others are just better, most here would agree.

-Swapping Elevation, which most agree needs to go

Beautiful Day and Elevation are two of the most exciting songs to 99% of the crowd that actually goes to the concert. People hate on Elevation and yet the entire pit is jumping like crazy every time it's played. Walk On is there because it fits their message about Aung San Suu Kyi along with MLK, which they obviously feel is important for people to know about. The only song from ATYCLB that doesn't fit is IALW.

Beautiful Day - should not be an opener. This must be a NEW song or a NLOTH track, unless you want to be the Rolling Stones.
Mysterious Ways - needs a rest
Elevation - enough already
In A Little While - not necessary
The Unforgettable Fire - I love this song but, this just isn't being played very well on this tour.
City of Blinding Lights - ok, but needs a rest
Vertigo - needs a rest
Sunday Bloody Sunday - This song should not be played to entertain the average attendee.
MLK/Walk On - enough with the politics and the An Sun Sui Kyi masks (just weird)

Enough with the politics? What band are you a fan of again? That is and will always be a part of U2 and their stage presence.

Beautiful Day - should not be an opener. This must be a NEW song or a NLOTH track, unless you want to be the Rolling Stones.
Mysterious Ways - needs a rest
Elevation - enough already
In A Little While - not necessary
The Unforgettable Fire - I love this song but, this just isn't being played very well on this tour.
City of Blinding Lights - ok, but needs a rest
Vertigo - needs a rest
Sunday Bloody Sunday - This song should not be played to entertain the average attendee.
MLK/Walk On - enough with the politics and the An Sun Sui Kyi masks (just weird)

BD- I disagree- there's no shame in opening with a classic.
MW- Agree, and Larry needs to get his act together on the drums.
Elevation- Totally agree with you- replace with EBTTRT
IALW- Agree
TUF- Disagree- I think they've been playing it well.
COBL- Agree, there are so many better songs too.
Vertigo- I see your point but I would keep it because of that huge riff
SBS- Agree, replace with Bad or RTSS
Walk On- U2 are a political band, there is no avoiding that, but there are better means of putting a message over than playing an average pop-rock song as a few people file past in masks, so I agree. Replace with Please.

Considering that Walk On was specifically written for the message it is being used for, I'm not sure how Please would be better...

Considering that Walk On was specifically written for the message it is being used for, I'm not sure how Please would be better...

You miss my point. I said that other songs could put over a general political message better, not the specific message about Burma. I am suggesting they bring in Please, a better song, and use it to turn their fire on something or someone else.

Change whatever they want on the set, but keep that "why so serious?" at the beginning of HMTMKMKM. :evil:

I'm a bit disappointed, I was hoping for a more radical shake-up. I was ecstatic about 'hold me' though (even still ultraviolet was so amazing, it beats hold me). Still I can't wait for Miami next June.

2 things occurred to me when seeing Bono swinging from the mic at the end of hold me (the bit where he's like horizontal with the rope btwn his legs):
1. This dude is in fact 50? okaaaaay - Time has definitely not taken the boy out of the man!
2. What if that wire somehow gave way, or Bono slipped, while horizontal and he landed BACK first on the stage??!! Nee-naw nee-naw. F**k me! A bit risky don't you think, given where he's been the last few months
icon33.gif

ps finally realized what he says/sings/shouts at the end of stingray: TO - RIIIIIIIIIIIIII - NOOOOOO!!
pps you have not lived until youve seen end of the world in person at 360 - most incredible display in history of the planet, specially the end (liveconcerts4u caught it pretty well in Turin, check it out - choose 480p) YouTube - ‪U2 live @ Torino - Until The End Of The World‬‎

can anybody tell me... is this the FIRST TIME that an OLD SONG has opened a concert for U2 ?

I know that in the JT tour, they opened sometimes with a cover, but with an old song?

I HATED this, really... FEZ/BB should be opening, or even BREATHE, it was a great opener, with Larry walking alone, starting to play and the rest appearing later...

I'm afraid this will turn into a GREATEST HITS show :angry:

Do you think they will play the new songs on each show? After all, Bono said that North Star isn't finished, so maybe they only wanted to play it once?

Do you think they will play the new songs on each show? After all, Bono said that North Star isn't finished, so maybe they only wanted to play it once?

I hope I don't have to listen to it next tuesday/thursday and that they just add Ultraviolet instead:cute:

can anybody tell me... is this the FIRST TIME that an OLD SONG has opened a concert for U2 ?

I know that in the JT tour, they opened sometimes with a cover, but with an old song?

No, this isn't the first time. As you already mention, during the JT Tour they sometimes opened with a cover and then went into another old song (I Will Follow, see also the DVD on TJT deluxe remaster). Also, on the Lovetown tour they often opened with an old song (i.e. not from Rattle And Hum). Same with the War (Gloria, Out Of Control) and TUF (11 O'Clock Tick Tock) tours.

I'm OK with an older song opening the show. Though I still want to have as much new material as possible. So hopefully it'll be more than the 6 songs (4 from NLOTH and 2 new) they're currently playing.
Then again, this was just the first show. Let's see how it evolves over the next few shows.

I don't mind an old song opening either. I don't think it means it's a GH tour as long as it fits the mood at the start of the concert. A lot of bands start with old songs and it doesn't feel like a GH tour. To me though Stingray/BD doesn't make any sense at all, but the crowd still seemed to enjoy it so whatever. I would rather like to hear some sort of Stingray transition that flows into a rocking song. The abrupt ending of it and then BD just suddenly starting is kinda strange.

Beautiful Day and Elevation are two of the most exciting songs to 99% of the crowd that actually goes to the concert. People hate on Elevation and yet the entire pit is jumping like crazy every time it's played. Walk On is there because it fits their message about Aung San Suu Kyi along with MLK, which they obviously feel is important for people to know about. The only song from ATYCLB that doesn't fit is IALW.

I was making a general statement about 5 songs from ATYCLB as a whole.

Or even 4 now. It still gets more than any other album.

Elevation is not the only song that could get the pit jumping, and Walk On is not being played as well as in 2001 on this tour. Both these songs need to take a walk.

Of course, they should always keep Beautiful Day.

And In A Little While, IMHO, is a gorgeous little song, great melody, great lyrics and it fits the space theme this tour. Plus, it has never been a regular.

Given what we have sitting on the bench-
All album tracks on War plus all of Boy and October, A Sort of Homecoming, Wire, Bad, all but the big 3 on JT, songs like Hawkmoon, Acrobat, Even Better..., Zooropa, Dirty Day, Gone, MOFO, full band Desire, No Line On The Horizon-and much more I missed- 2 songs from ATYCLB is enough. We do not need 4 or 5. Especially when other songs would get the pit jumping and also fit the spectacle better.

I am not trying to be a confrontational jerk, but I have yet to see anyone come up with a good reason to play 4 or 5 songs from ATYCLB. It has all amounted to people pretending that this is the only album casuals know, or that Elevation is the only fun, rocking song they have.

How 'bout Stingray into Out of Control with lights on - if they play it like they did at Slane :drool:

With no 6 second pregnant pause going into OOC.

I wish they would play Love Comes Tumbling - have they EVER played it live? I think not - a real shame :sad:

this set seems a little disjointed to me...it's pretty good but hopefully it improves as this leg continues...

Also, Hold Me definitely does not belong in the encore with WOWY and MOS...they had such a good vibe before with the UV/WOWY/MOS combo...Hold me just does not fit there...it belongs in the main set somewhere...

I agree with mobonofo, about Beautiful Day. woulda been best to stick to the new album song Boots, to stir the crowd up.

BD is a song that appeals more a few songs in.........

cant believe they slot in Hold Me Kiss Me, fuk, wonder how that sounded........:hmm:

but I have yet to see anyone come up with a good reason to play 4 or 5 songs from ATYCLB.
why not? would also be a good question
refering to all other great U2 tracks only says to me that you might prefer hearing those songs
which also doesn't make much of an argument
now, I would love to hear 2 Hearts, Surrender and Wire
but that has no relevance at all to how many All that you can't ... songs U2 play

Back
Top Bottom