WHY bring back a lottery system?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also, there were a couple of times where I wasn't able to line up early, so I went later thinking that I'd at least go through the scan and have a chance to get in the ellipse. But by the time I got there, WELL before the opening band started - the scanning table was packed up and put away. I was told that this was because U2 wanted the ellipse full before they went on, but that excuse doesn't wash, there was still lots of time to permit people in before U2 went on.
This happened to us in Montreal. The people literally right before us scanned in and we were told they were the last ones, no more spots.

I hope your man is smart enough to realize how lucky he was for being able to see U2 19 times in one tour from any viewpoint and isn't holding a grudge because he didn't get to be in one particular part of the arena for those 19 shows.

This bears repeating.

:rolleyes:

yes. lucky. right. it was also actually not luck, but hard work to save vacation times for years, take off of work and go into debt on tickets. and yes it was a choice to do all those things, one he made in hopes it would be as good a tour as elevation. having bought most of our tix in general onsale, half way thru the tour we talked about selling them as we weren't loving the vertigo tour like zoo/pop/elevation. don't get me wrong, we enjoyed the shows. we just did not enjoy the poiltics of the lottery. period. but you know how hard it is once you HAVE tix you kinda wanna go to the shows. :shrug:

anyway, i stated all this on another thread and it's exactly why someone decided to (how do i say this) talk alot of s**t about me etc. so i ended up trying to get the whole thing taken off/locked. anyway, i know you're all being nice and sincere, and mean well, and yes, we are very lucky people.:hug: i just really don't understand what the problem is with stating that once you had experienced elevation in all it's wonder and glory, the vertigo lottery was a HUGE disapointment. and i know everyone will say it's only about the music, but after having some things happen outside, it can't be helped but to make it so that you feel differently inside....and maybe its wrong but i'll say it...my fiancee ALWAYS enojoyed the shows, but some things that went on left a bad taste in my mouth and i wasn't as in to the shows as i might have been, having those events weigh on my mind all night. if i had a dime for every person i talked to who said this i'd be rich and in the red zone this tour. the difference is, they don't post on here, and i do. we love u2 and chose to switch some ga's to seats on the last tour and that was really enjoyable. even the nose bleeds. it's just that if you put the time in, it sucks to not have a good end result.

mainly i wish that we could just have known what the plan is for GA this time around before we bought the tickets.

oh well, it'll be like SD first night and every one will have no idea what's happening.

I agree that it's great that a local person only attending one show who can't line up early gets the chance to enter the ellipse. However, I think the problem here, and what some of the "complainers" are talking about is that because of the way the line was administered, the supposedly equal chance for everyone wasn't quite as equal as it should have been.

At the beginning of the tour, we were told that everyone, from the first person entering to the last had an equal chance of being buzzed in, and that the "winner" was allowed to take one other person with them. But as the tour went on, those rules were stretched and bent to the extent that they were barely recognizable. If you have groups of 4, 6, or 8 people being allowed in early in the line, that's going to automatically take chances away from people further back in the line. I want to make it clear, I honestly don't begrudge larger groups who got to go in together - they didn't make (or break) the rules, it was Alison who arbitrarily decided which people could enter in large groups, and which had to stick to the 2 person maximum.

Also, there were a couple of times where I wasn't able to line up early, so I went later thinking that I'd at least go through the scan and have a chance to get in the ellipse. But by the time I got there, WELL before the opening band started - the scanning table was packed up and put away. I was told that this was because U2 wanted the ellipse full before they went on, but that excuse doesn't wash, there was still lots of time to permit people in before U2 went on.

Two of us attended 8 shows, so that's 16 potential scanning opportunities, and we didn't scan in once. I think I figured out at the time that there was a 1 in 6 or 8 chance of each person scanning in at each show (those numbers could be off a bit, I can't remember exactly, at this point). So, when you have odds like that, and the number of chances that we did, and fail to scan even once, and additionally, you know that the rules have been bent, I think it's fairly normal to attribute your bad luck to the unfairness of the system. That said, if the rules had been consistent and upheld throughout the tour, due to pure random chance, there still would have been people who scanned in many times with fewer chances, and there still would have been people who had many chances (such as us) who didn't scan in at all. But at least then we'd know it was purely due to bad luck, as opposed to the system not being administered as the rules stated it would be.

In my case, I'm not complaining, just stating the facts as I saw them. I still had an amazing time at all the shows I attended. I just wish that they would be more consistent in their approach. If they're going to allow larger groups in, say so, and apply those numbers to all people. If they're going to be packing up the scanning table at random times, let people know when to be there by, so they can get scanned. As it was, it was pretty much left up to Alison's whims.

:up::up::up::up: :hug:

listen, i am well aware that everyone here thinks i'm complaining, and I AM! just not about what you think. everything i mean EVERTHING vintage punk wrote i had happen to me. i am not complaining that there was one (although i will never like it) but i am complaining about how it was administered. i too went late and stopped lining up, and then would come after doors only to see the tables taken down. and the night i saw some high profile fans let in with 8 people and i was told i could only take one, not 2!!!

ugh. vintage punk, your post is EVERYTHING i'm trying to say! :applaud:

Larry would so be the one to complain about seeing the same people. Bono probably wouldn't even notice :lol:

You know what bugs me about all the complaining about the lottery? That a lot of it is from people who get to go to multiple shows. Think of the person who can only afford or is only able to attend one show, though. Think of how awesome it would be for that person to get the chance to be close, even if he or she can't line up at 5 a.m. That's the cool thing about the lottery system, that everybody gets a chance.

ok, here's my only thing about this ...for about, 30 to 40 years, concerts have been first come first serve GA. from led zeppelin to the killers, and everything in between. so, for over 3 decades it's been a real problem that only U2 and Springsteen have addressed? :scratch::no:

i get that it's good for the people who can't put in the time, but that's a rock show babe! i have been the local only going to one show at many concerts in my past. sometimes i got off of work and camped out, sometimes i didn't. if i couldn't i knew the deal and was fine with being by the soundboard....it's the price you pay to do GA. if i wasn't fine with it i would purchase stand tickets and have a good ol time.

that's the way it's been, and if it ain't broke don't fix it. if you can't camp out buy a stand ticket. sorry if that sounds mean, it's not, it's just that's how a real rock show GA has always been and hopefully will always be. there are only a handful of bands who do any lottery sort of thing now, and if you go explain that to ANY other concert loving/going fans they'll look at you like you have 3 heads! because it's just so unnessacary.

ok, here's my only thing about this ...for about, 30 to 40 years, concerts have been first come first serve GA. from led zeppelin to the killers, and everything in between.

:up:

its funny the sense of entitlement on here, that you deserve the same chance to be in the front when you stroll right before the show starts in a GA concert. that is not how GA works anywhere else in the world, whether sporting events, concerts, whatever. its always who lines up first, everywhere.

at least with Springsteen's system you are doing away with the need to lineup early. U2's lottery doesn't even do that. its pretty much worthless.

oh well, it'll be like SD first night and every one will have no idea what's happening.

I was there. Even now, four years later, when I think about how the news of "some kind of lottery" slowly rippled through the line that morning, I still get pissed. Like, gut-burning pissed. I'm probably the biggest lottery-hater on this board.

On the one hand, I like the idea of the lottery - in theory.

On the same hand, I kind of laughed when I read jphelmet's "sense of entitlement" comment above, because I think there's more entitlement coming from those who don't want the lottery and think it should just keep being the same as it was because that's just the way it works. (Obviously, just my opinion and not meant to be directed towards anyone in particular.)

On the other hand, and this is a really big hand, it was really shitty of U2 not to announce the lottery plans ahead of time.

It's just part of many examples of their general boobery when it comes to organization and communication, but that one in particular was pretty damned bad.

On the other hand, and this is a really big hand, it was really shitty of U2 not to announce the lottery plans ahead of time.

It's true, and the bitter memory of that morning is really the only reason I hate it so much.

I'm sure if I scanned in, I would love it :lol:

You know, you're owed a lot of GA karma from that day four years ago. Maybe this will bode well for you this time ... and for whoever is there in line with you.

:hmm:

:flirt:

:rolleyes:

yes. lucky. right. it was also actually not luck, but hard work to save vacation times for years, take off of work and go into debt on tickets. and yes it was a choice to do all those things, one he made in hopes it would be as good a tour as elevation. having bought most of our tix in general onsale, half way thru the tour we talked about selling them as we weren't loving the vertigo tour like zoo/pop/elevation. don't get me wrong, we enjoyed the shows. we just did not enjoy the poiltics of the lottery. period. but you know how hard it is once you HAVE tix you kinda wanna go to the shows. :shrug:

I think you missed my point. Whether it was through hard work and debt or an excess of cash, your man still got to see U2 19 times in one tour - and that in itself is a pretty lucky thing to be able to do. Most U2 fans won't see the band that many times in their lifetime. I just have a hard time feeling sympathy for someone's lottery woes when they went to 19 shows. :shrug:

That said, I do wish U2 would adopt Springsteen's lottery methods. Would save a lot of trouble for anyone doing GA.

I don't think popbellydancer was like, "My poor fiancé." Obviously they realize that they were lucky and fortunate enough to be able to put the time and money into doing 19 shows. If I were them, I'd be grateful but a tiny bit dissapointed about not scanning in once. :shrug:

It's a flawed system. And I say this as someone who scanned in.

It's true, and the bitter memory of that morning is really the only reason I hate it so much.

I'm sure if I scanned in, I would love it :lol:

I hear ya on this.. I was there too.. definitely left a bitter taste in my mouth.. :down: I remember everything like it was yesterday, it's burned in my memory forever..:angry:

I hope they keep the lottery, because I'm going to try for GA tickets and I am not planning to camp out all day with my non-U2 fan friend (who would probably not want to do that). It's really not fair to let someone be in the front over and over again just because they have the time and money to spend sitting in a line for hours (or days). And I really hate port-a-potties.

just saw this article-- who knows if it's accurate, but i thought this was interesting:

"The green, GA Floor tickets are $55 and standing room only. But the big question is how to score a spot in the curved area around the stage. Ticketmaster says its luck of the draw, and only a select few GA ticket holders will have a chance to be soaked in Bono sweat."

Where Are You Sitting On Oct. 3?

I think they're implying that there will be a lottery to get into the inner circle. Kind of like the same thing the title of this thread was asking.

Whether it's true or not is still up for grabs.

What are you more confused about?

there's 2 things here- TM may be referring to the Red Zone thing and the GC for a stadium show holds at least 5000 people which depending on the size of the venue could be 50% of the GA bit

and again U2 actually announce something no-one really knows for sure- personally I don't like the idea of this lottery thing- but then I'm not likely to do the queue thing for all the shows I'm going to

I hope they keep the lottery, because I'm going to try for GA tickets and I am not planning to camp out all day with my non-U2 fan friend (who would probably not want to do that). It's really not fair to let someone be in the front over and over again just because they have the time and money to spend sitting in a line for hours (or days). And I really hate port-a-potties.

How is it not fair that those at the front of the line get to be right up front at the concert?

How is it not fair that those at the front of the line get to be right up front at the concert?

If* it is clearly announced beforehand that there will be a lottery system, then it's perfectly fair for the people who are at the front of the line, because they got the exact same information as those who didn't line up, or lined up late. They just chose to act differently on that information. If you know that there's a lottery system and still choose to line up, then you've got no right to complain if you don't get inside the ellipse/heart/crab.

*I do realize that's a big if, though.

ok, here's my only thing about this ...for about, 30 to 40 years, concerts have been first come first serve GA. from led zeppelin to the killers, and everything in between. so, for over 3 decades it's been a real problem that only U2 and Springsteen have addressed? :scratch::no:

I think it's well within U2's (and Springsteen's) rights to address it anyway they please and obviously both of these artists do find something wrong with the 30-40 year system. Whether you agree with it or not is really irrelevant at the end of the day.

I do feel sympathy for people who were not anticipating the lottery during the last tour's opener. At the very least, they should have been informed the morning of the show, and even this would not have been ideal. However, now there is precedent for a lottery and we all bought GA tickets this time around knowing that there is a 50/50 chance, if not higher, of the lottery repeating itself. Nobody at this stage can claim ignorance - you can hope one way or another, but we all knew the risk when we acquired the tickets. It would be very nice and helpful of the band to clear this up prior to the first show, but if they don't do so, we can't claim shock at this point.

:shrug:

(I had GAs 4 times during Vertigo and my ticket didn't scan once, and I am nevertheless in favour of the lottery.)

Well there were rumors of a lottery about 4 weeks before the show

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f280/lottery-system-for-ga-oval-pit-heart-115969.html

But there was no concrete information and the official GA policy posted about a week before the show made no mention of this lottery

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f280/ga-policy-posted-118121.html

even the morning of the show the venue security "confirmed" there was no lottery...

I just spoke Barbara (Ruffian) on the GA line and she told me that security confirmed NO LOTTERY. She said they were very clear and walked up and down the line stating this.

She got there at 6:00AM and is # 190 something.

http://www.u2interference.com/forum...camping-out-no-ga-lottery-lottery-120213.html

fun threads :happy:

communication isn't U2's strong point

Well there were rumors of a lottery about 4 weeks before the show

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f280/lottery-system-for-ga-oval-pit-heart-115969.html

But there was no concrete information and the official GA policy posted about a week before the show made no mention of this lottery

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f280/ga-policy-posted-118121.html

Oh yeah, i remember these threads now..

hey chizip, and thanks for letting me get in front of you outside the ellipse that opening nite. :hug: Amazon woman was being a major biatch..

So even that morning, they were saying no lottery? Lame. :down:

Diemen, I totally understand what you're saying. I am planning to line up still to get the best spot possible(and I'm a little crazy ;) ) I was just saying about the system in general. If you line up at the front, you should get to be up front. :shrug:

So even that morning, they were saying no lottery? Lame. :down:

Diemen, I totally understand what you're saying. I am planning to line up still to get the best spot possible(and I'm a little crazy ;) ) I was just saying about the system in general. If you line up at the front, you should get to be up front. :shrug:

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but it's not as if being right up against the ellipse/heart/etc is anything but an excellent spot to experience a U2 show.

The way I, and, I suspect, U2, see it is that those lining up early still get really good spots, but the inside/ellipse/heart is a bonus area meant to get a random sampling of fans so everyone has an equal chance of getting in and getting a special experience, without having to completely clear their day for a chance to get in. Whether it works out to that in practice or not is a matter of some debate. :wink:

LOL, I've never seen the Fans Camping Out thread before. I'm up to page three and I've been called :coocoo: five times and a loser once (by Mr Brau, of all people.)

I was one of the campers.

I don't think I'll read the rest of that thread.

:lol:

Sorry but I'm against the Lottery. I think that management should come clean and claim responsibility for the lottery. I do not see that the band pushed for the lottery.

First, why do you think management is responsible for the lottery? Other than supposedly making the possibility of the best spots available to everyone, what other reason does the lottery exist from a business standpoint?

Second, I have some bad news for you; when it comes to U2, they are management.

Back
Top Bottom