GA Tips and Tricks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rosebud

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
in the enchanted forest of dreams and wonderment..
Sorry if this shouldn't be its own thread. Feel free to merge if necessary. :)

So, I thought it would be a grand idea if all you experienced GA-ers could contribute to this thread with helpful tips, hints, and advice on how to make the GA experience easier/smoother/more fun/etc. Not intended for things like "yeah, GA rocks!", but real, practical advice.

For example:

-- What time to line up

-- Things you brought with you for the GA line

-- Ways to pass the time while camping out/waiting all day

-- Proper shoes to wear

-- Things to bring inside

-- Things to do with your fellow GA-ers

-- How to avoid mistakes you made

...and so on...

Us GA virgins would be most obliged. :flirt:

My number one tip? If you want to sneak anything into the venue - camera, food, bottled water, etc - put it in your bag, and put feminine hygiene products on top of it, and then when you go to the security guy to be searched, he'll just glance and let you in without really checking. Seriously, this works. :up: Dumb men. :cute:

good thread. even though i've done GA before, this may come in handy, though i don't think i'm going to sit in line for very long this time around. maybe i'll show up at 5pm or something. it all depends.

You neec comapny to get through the day - either other peopel or books/newspapers for sure

If it will be sunny maybe take an umbrella - but to be honest peopel who take tons of crap do annoy me a little

Some peopel take fold out chairs and all sorts but you have to abandon most tsuff coem gig time

Take food and water - and hopefully toilets will be available

GA varies a lot depending on which venue you are at.

Wear comfortable trainers/sneakers.

I only took in the bare essentials with me (i.e my wallet/phone and camera sometimes)

I made a mistake at a gig at gig once of going to the toilet when they came to get everyone in line and lost my place in the line! They id it at liek 2- which was much ealier than when i was used to.

My number one tip? If you want to sneak anything into the venue - camera, food, bottled water, etc - put it in your bag, and put feminine hygiene products on top of it, and then when you go to the security guy to be searched, he'll just glance and let you in without really checking. Seriously, this works. :up: Dumb men. :cute:

:lmao: I laugh but it works. :up::love:

If you have a hotel near the venue you can bring anything you might need to help you through the day ie tents, sleeping bags, chairs, papers, books, music, games etc

If you aren't staying near the venue or have a car with you then just necassary things like water/drinks, food ( some places might not have somewhere to eat nearby so check this before hand ), tickets, camera, purse/wallet.

Wear clothing/footwear that is comfortable to wear all day and night.

Limit your fluid intake a little while before they let you in.

I've found the best way to get to pass the time quickly is to get to know fellow GA'ers and chat to them. You can also hold each others spots for toilet/food runs. :up:

i'm just thinking....if it's a real hot day in Chicago (September can still have some real hot days), are flip flops a big NO for GA?

GA varies a lot depending on which venue you are at.

This is true. What you'll need is very specific to the venue. Some places have food close by, others don't. Some places you'll be in the shade most of the time, others you'll be in the sun, and so on. For specifics, I'd check the thread for the show you're attending, and ask some of the pros who have been to that venue for GA before.

i'm just thinking....if it's a real hot day in Chicago (September can still have some real hot days), are flip flops a big NO for GA?

:yikes: If you value your feet and your toes especially, HELL NO!

Always wear good shoes. You risk being stepped on a LOT.

You could get a pair of cheapo flip flops and keep your PF Flyers in a bag with you, then when it was almost time to enter, put on your snekas (or get on your boots) and toss the flips flops in the trash.

I think I might get some real strange looks if I try this.

:lol:

:yikes: If you value your feet and your toes especially, HELL NO!

Always wear good shoes. You risk being stepped on a LOT.

Agree with GG, i'd never dare try GA with flip flops. :yikes:

For the GA line though go for it and stick them in your car before they let you in or get some cheap ones and dump them. :)

Good thread, which is needed for me, as my first U2 GA experience is now 1 hour and 20 minutes old (TO the 17th).
Line ettiquete questions for you experienced people:
Should everyone in your group have to be in the line the whole time, or can you take shifts?
Along the same veign, what happens if 1 person holds the spot and then later in the day (closer to showtime), others show up from his party...is this allowed/tolerated, or is this a life threatening situation..lol?
Appreciate the feedback
Cheers,

Oh by the way, is it only certain venues that don't allow you to bring cameras and bottled water inside, or is that pretty standard?

I've always brought a small digital camera in. I'm pretty sure it depends on the band first and foremost. Since U2 doesnt mind pics, they will allow small cameras in (no professional cameras).

When they finally let you in the venue, does everyone just bunch right on top of each other 2+ hours before the show? or does everyone give each other a little breathing room?

Not that I smell or anything :shifty: but should I pack deodorant? :lol: Actually, can everyone going to TO2 pack it, k thanx :reject:

Gotcha. :up:

And what about water? All that jumping and screaming would make me parched. :love:

:wink:

Bottles = potential flying missiles to be launched at the stage, and therefore are generally not allowed. However, some venues are more strict and check more carefully than others. To avoid excessive checking, see my feminine hygiene tip. However, in Chicago, a staff member of the venue walked along the inside part of the outside rail of the ellipse, and handed out mini-bottles of water to people during the show. They obviously cared about our hydration levels. :heart:

Around the time of the last tour, I was commuting 2 1/2 hours a day to school, and would often get held up at school unexpectedly when my advisor would have me complete some menial task at the last minute, before I could go home, and so I always kept an emergency granola bar in my bag for these occasions. I forgot that I even had it in there, and neglected to do my feminine hygiene trick, and security at one of the venues found it, and made me throw it out. Fuckers. :angry:

Bring a cheap folding chair to sit on. You can't bring it into the venue....but I've left my folding chair in the bushes when going into the show and it has still been there after the show.

If it is gone....no worries...be prepared to lose it.

Bring pictures, photos, articles anything you wish to trade with other U2 fans with. If you have an extra copy of something like a bootleg or single or CD or picture....bring it.

I can't tell you the countless "doubles" I've handed out to fans and they've been thankful. Sometimes this makes it's way back to you. Trust me here. Manners and being polite are key. Everyone wants to be close...everyone wants to see the band.....if you remain calm, you'd be surprised what comes your way.

Also....sounds silly?

PUT YOUR TICKET ON YOUR PERSON IN A SAFE SPOT. I can't tell you how many countless times someone can't find their ticket......or they gotta run back to the car to get their ticket. Or they CAME ON A PLANE....TOOK THE TRAIN......AND A FERRY.....AND A BUS.....and forgot their ticket!

If you are a guitar player....bring a guitar....MAKE SURE YOU CAN PLAY SOME U2 songs.
Also be prepared to be able to share. Share the talent of music...and the wonder of U2.

Can't play guitar? Radios are cool too. Make sure they blast U2 and you have a place to put it afterwards.

I'm a bass player so you guitar players do these songs justice.

No SLR cameras only point and shoot.

Don't flash to many in Bono's eyes. He doesn't like it. I've seen him move away from me because I was too snap happy.

If you have something to offer to help the day along do so. Some of my best experiences in line have been with U2 fans as well as Grateful Dead fans (yeah...you read that right....the Dead). Share your memories and stories in good faith.....not conceitedness.

Karma goes a long way when you're on the tour. Be nice to people. That's what U2 would want.

Good thread, which is needed for me, as my first U2 GA experience is now 1 hour and 20 minutes old (TO the 17th).
Line ettiquete questions for you experienced people:
Should everyone in your group have to be in the line the whole time, or can you take shifts?
Along the same veign, what happens if 1 person holds the spot and then later in the day (closer to showtime), others show up from his party...is this allowed/tolerated, or is this a life threatening situation..lol?
Appreciate the feedback
Cheers,

Coming and going to get food or washroom breaks or a quick shower is tolerated so long as you don't leave a chair at 10am and come back at 4pm saying "I was here all day". Just make sure the people around you know you and where you are going. Then you come back and do the same for them.

The holding spot thing is generally frowned upon. I have seen the time where everyone in the area knows that 1 other person is on his/her way but was delayed. One guy in our line in SLC was flying in on a different flight, due to being bumped, than his buddies but it was understood he was supposed to there. So when he showed up around 11 am, no problem.

However, later on when people tried to slip in with friends (especially groups of 2 or more), we shouted them out of the line, and shamed them into going to the back of the line. The entire group was collectively condemning any line jumping.

Karma goes a long way when you're on the tour. Be nice to people. That's what U2 would want.

I agree about the karma...I felt awful when I got some downer karma going when I let the two people who got in front of short little me--pushing into the 1/2-a-person's-worth-of-spot the folks in my region had been allowing each other, out of kindness and attempted good karma I believe, and now making it so that I couldn't move or see--know how I felt about it. I sort of announced, as they pushed thru and stood there, seeming to now be planted just as U2 were about to come on, that I found it annoying that they did this. It wasn't a yelling or anything, but a calling out, that apparently nobody else was prepared to say anything about (though it didn't affect the folks around me so much as it did me).
What is the best way to handle that sort of thing? It happens a lot, I presume. You just gotta be more zen about people pushing their way in front of you and mashing their behinds up into your middle, hair now under your nose, you know that kinda scene?! That kinda thing bugs me enough to make GA difficult sometimes:|

My tips....

Bring a beach chair or camping chair to sit on. You will be standing for 5-6 hours straight once the doors open, so for goodness sakes sit while you can!

Wear comfy shoes.

Make friends with the people around you. Very important. Collect up some $ and offer to bring them back some coffee, McD's, etc for them. Plus you will have a better time making new friends!

Eat and drink well while you can. Have a good lunch, drink plenty.

Don't be gone from the line too long. Food run, bathroom break, dumping stuff in car/hotel should all be OK with the people around you, especially since you have made friends with them.

If the weather looks iffy, wear the right gear for most of the day at least. Don't freeze you butt off all day because all you brought was your favorite JT tour T-shirt for the show that night.

Dump all your stuff back at your hotel or car in the late PM, no later than 4-5 pm. No telling what could happen that close to door time. When the doors open, all you want to have on your body is ticket and camera.

Pee at 4:59pm. This might be it for the night.

Don't bring anything that you can't live without. At the last Vertigo show in Portland in Dec 2005 it was pouring, and I mean pouring, all day long. As the GA line moved into the building, everyone just ditched their umbrellas on the pavement or in the bushes. There were hundreds of umbrellas laying around, and they all were cleaned up and gone when the show let out that night. (Large garbage bags are a cheap alternative to umbrellas BTW).

Have fun you first timers!!!

this may be kind of off topic...assuming there is a lottery, what's the most people they usually let in from one group if someone gets scanned....twice last tour there were four of us, one was scanned, and we are were let in...this time, however, I think there will be six of us....what are my chances of them letting all six of us in if only once of us gets scanned....anyone have any tips/advice/info on this?

Thanks Trev..
You pretty much confirmed my suspicians. The bottom line is..anyone who has GA's will be in for an all day event (if they are tryintg to get close to the stage) no Johnny-come-latelies to the front of the line.
Cheers,

I have seen johnny come latelies walk up to queues and just join straight into them when they are movign - its usually down to the stadium having a crap system - last time i went to wembley it was beyong stupid.

Twickenham for U2 had a very tight organised system though - not being used this tiem though

Back
Top Bottom