GA Tips and Tricks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GA tix - Are kids allowed?

Anyone have an idea if kids are allowed in GA or even to the concert for that matter?

After Portland and Honolulu - I wouldn't do anything other than GA again but my kids are growing up and it may be time for them to see U2 live.

I don't remember seeing any kids at all at past shows.

Anyone with more info?

I know I've seen kids in the GA, usually in the heart/ellipse etc. I have a few pics of some on their parents shoulders, etc.

I took this pic in Oakland in 2001.

littlegirlbono4.jpg

I know I've seen kids in the GA, usually in the heart/ellipse etc. I have a few pics of some on their parents shoulders, etc.

wooohoo! I am bringing my soon to be 12 yr old son to his very first U2 concert in Sept at the DC show.. I am so excited for him. We are gonna brave GA. I am gonna just have the hubby come a little later so my son isn't in line as long. We'll just meet up then in line of course I will let people around me know beforehand which I am sure will be ok it usually is.

RE: Kids. The shows are 'all ages'. Having said that, a few thoughts:

I will be honest...until they're teens I can't justify bringing a young kid into the general GA pit. There's just too much that can happen, as did when I brought my 10 year old.

Mind you, IF you get into a controlled elllipse/heart like environment, it is awesome for them as the crowds there are respectful and even when there's a surge it's far less dangerous imo.

The other thing - and it's a HUGE thing - is their hearing. I saw kids without ear plugs on the Vertigo tour and to me thats as bad as letting them ride without a seatbelt on - actually even worse. They WILL get hearing loss, absolutely. It is the main reason why my daughter (9) and I decided she will not come this time around. She is very musical and has a very good ear, plays piano, and she felt it was a risk she didn't want to take. Yes, there are earplugs she could wear but the good ones are very expensive and the cheap ones block out so much sound she just thought it wasn't worth bothering just to see some lights and the band. "I'll watch the DVD", she said. She's 9 going on 29. lol.

Speaking of the lights/visuals...U2 is known for it's intense light and visual presentation. This can have a detrimental effect on some kids, particularly those prone to seizures or afraid of bright lights. It can be physically exhausting for them and you may find them wanting to leave before the show is over and you wanting to stay.

Anyways, I will be bringing my 14 y/o and for every precautionary tale I'm sure there are 10 or more glowing tales about how GA was ok with their kids. That's cool, only a parent can know what's best for their own kid and what they're able to handle. If I had to do it again with my guy when he was 10, I'd have taken him to decent seats at that age, and GA now. Even back then, as much into basketball and soccer as he was, he got really tired out and I wouldn't say that that and the rude people "ruined" it for him and us, but it came pretty close. Contrast that with me taking him to see The Police from decent seats - that was way better for him and he has nothing but great memories from that show. His memories from the U2 show, sadly, aren't all that positive, which I'm disappointed about because of course I was hoping he'd be awed and love every second of it. The good news is, he knows alot of that is because of how young he was and wants to go again, so thats cool I guess! :)

wooohoo! I am bringing my soon to be 12 yr old son to his very first U2 concert in Sept at the DC show.. I am so excited for him. We are gonna brave GA. I am gonna just have the hubby come a little later so my son isn't in line as long. We'll just meet up then in line of course I will let people around me know beforehand which I am sure will be ok it usually is.

First post here, so be gentle.........

We are taking the trek across the pond (from Philly here) to Dublin for Croke2 and 3 with our 9 year old (see avatar) and managed to get GA for the final night.

After reading this VERY informative thread (all of our previous u2 shows, since '87, have been reserved seating, we're ALL GA virgins here) I sat down with my son last night and just explained all the pro's and con's of waiting in line, camping out and being down in the pit (should we not get inside the claw, ellipse or whatever) and just wanted to hear his perspective on it.

He was ALL for it....very gung ho. His first show was to see the Police last summer, so this GA show will be his 3rd. He's actually extremely excited, but understands that there will be pushing, understands the LONG wait all day outside and seems to be up for the challenge. This isn't surprising as he's a hockey player and just finished up an extremely long 80 game season, so feats of unreasonable physical endurance are par for the course ;)

All that being said, we are taking the advice and getting high quality audio earplugs for all of us. We absolutely do not want him losing hearing....not to mention they really do enhance a show, I think.

Would love to hear other's experiences with bringing younger kids.

See y'all in Dublin!

Welcome to the forum Superblue! Hope you & your family have a great time in Dublin.

As for kids at shows, I saw plenty. I took Maddy in 2005. First night - seats. Second night, we camped out and got the rail spot in front of Adam inside the ellipse. And of course you know what happened in Hawaii :wink: By the time October rolls around, she'll be 15, and she's very excited about GA. She knows we may not get into the inner circle and there will be thousands of people on the field, and we may not have the best spot or best view, but we will be there! I'll need her to help get me thru the day :crack:

RE: Kids. The shows are 'all ages'. Having said that, a few thoughts:

I will be honest...until they're teens I can't justify bringing a young kid into the general GA pit. There's just too much that can happen, as did when I brought my 10 year old.

Mind you, IF you get into a controlled elllipse/heart like environment, it is awesome for them as the crowds there are respectful and even when there's a surge it's far less dangerous imo.

The other thing - and it's a HUGE thing - is their hearing. I saw kids without ear plugs on the Vertigo tour and to me thats as bad as letting them ride without a seatbelt on - actually even worse. They WILL get hearing loss, absolutely. It is the main reason why my daughter (9) and I decided she will not come this time around. She is very musical and has a very good ear, plays piano, and she felt it was a risk she didn't want to take. Yes, there are earplugs she could wear but the good ones are very expensive and the cheap ones block out so much sound she just thought it wasn't worth bothering just to see some lights and the band. "I'll watch the DVD", she said. She's 9 going on 29. lol.

Speaking of the lights/visuals...U2 is known for it's intense light and visual presentation. This can have a detrimental effect on some kids, particularly those prone to seizures or afraid of bright lights. It can be physically exhausting for them and you may find them wanting to leave before the show is over and you wanting to stay.

Anyways, I will be bringing my 14 y/o and for every precautionary tale I'm sure there are 10 or more glowing tales about how GA was ok with their kids. That's cool, only a parent can know what's best for their own kid and what they're able to handle. If I had to do it again with my guy when he was 10, I'd have taken him to decent seats at that age, and GA now. Even back then, as much into basketball and soccer as he was, he got really tired out and I wouldn't say that that and the rude people "ruined" it for him and us, but it came pretty close. Contrast that with me taking him to see The Police from decent seats - that was way better for him and he has nothing but great memories from that show. His memories from the U2 show, sadly, aren't all that positive, which I'm disappointed about because of course I was hoping he'd be awed and love every second of it. The good news is, he knows alot of that is because of how young he was and wants to go again, so thats cool I guess! :)

good points one and all. our perspective was from inside the ellipse, and inside the closer GA section at the Hawaii stadium show. and yes, earplugs are a MUST.

the nice thing about taking them as youngsters is you have a chance to guide them so that by the time they're teens and wanting to branch out on their own they have some street smarts and know how to navigate the whole concert scene.

On the topic of a young kid, I think generally you'll be fine with a U2 crowd as we are tending to be older as we all age along with the band. While the GA area has a level of physicality to it, it is relatively speaking low key. Other then the time we scanned into the Elipse for Bono's Birthday in Chicago, I have generally positioned a little in front of the soundboard toward the back which would probably be a great place for a younger fan to enjoy. Not as crowded back there which otherwise becomes a problem for shorter fans like a kid to see the entire specticale of U2 live. Back by the soundboard, you tend to have good accoustics, easy access to facilities, less crowding and pushing.

When do they usually start letting people line up for GA? I just got my tickets for the ATL show and I want to be as close as possible. Sorry, it probably was mentioned, but I just don't have the time to read through the many pages of this thread. Also, if you need a bathroom break, is it safe or even doable to have the person with you hold your spot?

Haha, I'm basically a noob. For the Vertigo tour I was a moron because I didn't sit down at all. I ended up having to trade with someone for a seat because my knees started buckling a short while after being in the venue. So my only advice is to sit down as much as possible because you'll be standing the whole concert.

Can someone maybe post a link or a suggestion for these high quality earplugs you are talking about? My daughter wants to use them. We were 2nd row from the rail for Bob Dylan last summer and to me the sound was tame compared to U2 but she hated the way she felt for days after the show. (She's 19) I don't know why I didn't think that the sound was going to be that loud at a Dylan show. :(

Oh and thanks! :)

Yeppers...cept I'm nicer now.... :uhoh:

:wink:

Then you must be REALLY nice now, because I liked you back then! How'd you change your name without losing all your posts? You must have special privileges! I have a picture my husband took of us together at Vertigo Cleveland. (I'll try to find it)

Can someone maybe post a link or a suggestion for these high quality earplugs you are talking about? My daughter wants to use them. We were 2nd row from the rail for Bob Dylan last summer and to me the sound was tame compared to U2 but she hated the way she felt for days after the show. (She's 19) I don't know why I didn't think that the sound was going to be that loud at a Dylan show. :(

Oh and thanks! :)

These are the ones most highly recommended for the non-custom, but still high quality:

ETYMOTIC ER 20

ER-20 Hi-Fidelity Ety-Plugs - Music & Concert Plugs

I've also been looking around at the more custom ones and many musicians like the Westone's (Hearing Protection for Musicians :: Westone)

or

Perfect-Fit<sup>(TM)</sup> Model ER Custom Natural Sound Earplugs<br><font size="2">Featuring acoustic filters from Etymotic for serious musicians and concert lovers.</font> - Custom Molded Earplugs

Both run you about $150 and does require that you get fitted by an audiologist.

From what i've been reading, the ER-20's are good, but do not offer the same kind of protection and balanced/flat attenuation.

I think i'm going custom.....

Trying to decide if I should bother with GA or just buck up and grab a pair of level 1 tix... no lineup, no pushing, go to the bathroom or grab a beer, option of sitting in your comfy seat.

I guess there is no substitute for being right there just a few feet from the band however... I just hate hassles though and GA sounds like a gigantic hassle.

My question is this: If you could have either premium seats (within first 10 rows) or GA... and both the money for the seats and the all day lineup for GA are NOT factors... what is the better experience?

Back
Top Bottom