iTunes & DRM free up - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-06-2009, 08:34 PM   #16
Refugee
 
Zooropa man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,252
Local Time: 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblin rose View Post
Isn't it .30 per song, or about 3.30 per album, not $32?
something like that. I just think that its a bit unfair that you have already paid for them, they are yours and now to free them up and play them freely anywhere else, you have to pay more $$$. Rediculous...
__________________

__________________
Zooropa man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:25 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BonoIsMyMuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 5,241
Local Time: 12:10 AM
Burn the tracks to a CD and re-rip them. Problem solved for the few cents a blank CD costs. Purists will probably complain that that lowers the sound quality of the files, but truthfully, I've never noticed a difference.

I'm not thrilled with the sliding price scale Apple is going to implement in iTunes. I started using Amazon's mp3 service a few months ago, and I doubt I'll use the iTunes store very much anymore, because the Amazon service is more affordable, and I've had no problems with it so far.
__________________

__________________
BonoIsMyMuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:00 AM   #18
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,684
Local Time: 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooropa man View Post
something like that. I just think that its a bit unfair that you have already paid for them, they are yours and now to free them up and play them freely anywhere else, you have to pay more $$$. Rediculous...
Can you not burn those songs you own and play them in your car? I'm really not sure what you are talking about...
__________________
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:18 AM   #19
Refugee
 
Zooropa man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,252
Local Time: 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
Can you not burn those songs you own and play them in your car? I'm really not sure what you are talking about...
It'll take way toooooo long to do that. I'll just pick & choose I guess.
__________________
Zooropa man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:14 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BonoIsMyMuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 5,241
Local Time: 12:10 AM
It takes too long to burn a CD? If you're too lazy to do that, then you might as well pay the .30 per song.
__________________
BonoIsMyMuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:25 PM   #21
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,684
Local Time: 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooropa man View Post
It'll take way toooooo long to do that. I'll just pick & choose I guess.

Ok, you have me thoroughly confused...

The songs you own right now, where else do you want to play them besides your computer or iPod?
__________________
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:47 PM   #22
Refugee
 
Zooropa man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,252
Local Time: 09:10 PM
I have about 3,000 songs in my library. A crap load! Now, I'd say about half or so are from CD's that I've imported. Don't care about those... it's the ones that I've purchased from the iTunes store. Some are albums others are single songs. So let's say I want to free them up to play them in my DJ program that I have... well, now I would have to pay around $450.00 to free them up.... @ 0.30 cents... that's a lot of money.... and I own them! Does that make sense?
__________________
Zooropa man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:57 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict
 
onebloodonelife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15,106
Local Time: 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooropa man View Post
something like that. I just think that its a bit unfair that you have already paid for them, they are yours and now to free them up and play them freely anywhere else, you have to pay more $$$. Rediculous...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooropa man View Post
I have about 3,000 songs in my library. A crap load! Now, I'd say about half or so are from CD's that I've imported. Don't care about those... it's the ones that I've purchased from the iTunes store. Some are albums others are single songs. So let's say I want to free them up to play them in my DJ program that I have... well, now I would have to pay around $450.00 to free them up.... @ 0.30 cents... that's a lot of money.... and I own them! Does that make sense?
But you're also getting a higher quality file, not just getting them unprotected. You technically don't have to pay to get them unprotected, others have already told you how to do that if you wanted to. So, you're paying $.30 to get better sound quality and no file protection. And, actually, if you look at the sound quality that most songs on iTunes are: 192kbps and what you're getting for .30 cents more: 256kbps, you're getting about a 1/4 more kbps for 1/3 more than you originally paid for it, if that makes sense. Of course, the improvement in kbps doesn't work that way at all, but if you have a decent pair of headphones (aka not the iPod buds), you will most definitely be able to tell the difference between those two sound qualities anyway. Is that worth the $.30 to you?

And please, Apple is a business just like any other company, of course they're going to charge for an upgrade in quality such as this one. It's pretty obvious that they're out to make money.
__________________
onebloodonelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:57 PM   #24
Refugee
 
Zooropa man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,252
Local Time: 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoIsMyMuse View Post
It takes too long to burn a CD? If you're too lazy to do that, then you might as well pay the .30 per song.

It's not being lazy... It doesn't make sense for me to have to take that step when I'm sure they can write a tool to just do an update and unlock every song in your library that you've ever purchased. If my pal was able to unlock all of the U2 box set a few years ago... they can certainly do it but they rather charge you for it.
__________________
Zooropa man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:00 PM   #25
genius of compression
Forum Moderator
 
neutral's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: forty miles from atlanta, this is nowhere
Posts: 13,030
Local Time: 01:10 AM
I just checked and my upgrade would cost about $85.

Complete U2 isn't included, btw. Only U2 thing it would upgrade is HTDAAB.
__________________

neutral @ interference.com
neutral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:01 PM   #26
Refugee
 
Zooropa man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,252
Local Time: 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebloodonelife View Post
But you're also getting a higher quality file, not just getting them unprotected. You technically don't have to pay to get them unprotected, others have already told you how to do that if you wanted to. So, you're paying $.30 to get better sound quality and no file protection. And, actually, if you look at the sound quality that most songs on iTunes are: 192kbps and what you're getting for .30 cents more: 256kbps, you're getting about a 1/4 more kbps for 1/3 more than you originally paid for it, if that makes sense. Of course, the improvement in kbps doesn't work that way at all, but if you have a decent pair of headphones (aka not the iPod buds), you will most definitely be able to tell the difference between those two sound qualities anyway. Is that worth the $.30 to you?

And please, Apple is a business just like any other company, of course they're going to charge for an upgrade in quality such as this one. It's pretty obvious that they're out to make money.
I hear what you are saying. Does the quality matter to me.... mmmm a bit but c'mon. 0.30 cents starts to add up when you have a lot of songs. Apple are bastards! I know that they like to charge for everything. It would be nice of them to just do an update with a tool.... since you've already spent a shit load of money to begin with purchasing a lot of songs.
__________________
Zooropa man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:03 PM   #27
Refugee
 
Zooropa man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,252
Local Time: 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutral View Post
I just checked and my upgrade would cost about $85.

Complete U2 isn't included, btw. Only U2 thing it would upgrade is HTDAAB.

C'mon, your not gonna tell me that $85.00 is not a lot of money.
__________________
Zooropa man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:15 PM   #28
genius of compression
Forum Moderator
 
neutral's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: forty miles from atlanta, this is nowhere
Posts: 13,030
Local Time: 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooropa man View Post
C'mon, your not gonna tell me that $85.00 is not a lot of money.
Yeah, I doubt I am ever going to do it. I can't really afford it right now and honestly I don't think it's worth it to me.

And that's only the library on this laptop, I have a much bigger one on my main computer.
__________________

neutral @ interference.com
neutral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:55 PM   #29
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,335
Local Time: 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooropa man View Post
Apple are bastards! I know that they like to charge for everything.

Microsoft woulda done it for free.
__________________
martha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:16 PM   #30
Refugee
 
Zooropa man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,252
Local Time: 09:10 PM
true...
__________________

__________________
Zooropa man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
drm, itunes

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com