Survivor Samoa - and beyond! - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2009, 05:31 AM   #166
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 12:10 AM
I felt sooooo bad for Russell. His heart and soul were so into the game and he seemed like such a committed player. For his body to give out like that just was heartbreaking. I hope he will be OK.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:43 AM   #167
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:10 AM
Watching him totally out cold leaning on the maze thing with his face was freaky.
But otherwise kind of anticlimactic episode.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:12 AM   #168
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by If you shout... View Post
Early reports that I've been reading online (all spoiler-free, in specific terms) suggest that this episode is stunning, and one of the all-time Survivor greats. Consider my expectations raised.

I'm not too sure about this episode being one of the all time great ones. Bottom Line: Black Russell's body was really starting to breakdown and he foolishly ignored the warning signs. I understand he was his tribe's leader and he wanted to make a few more "deposits before he made a withdrawal", but every person has got to know their limitations and he obviously failed to recognize them.

I did feel bad seeing him having to leave the show, but he did go out fighting. One thing that struck me as strange was when Jeff went to go and attend to him, Jeff should have at least removed Black Russell's blindfold while the poor guy was struggling to not pass out.

Like I said, this show wasn't exactly one of the all time greats and pretty much the only gimmick of this week's episode was Black Russell's medical emergency. Oh yeah, that and the rain too.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:23 PM   #169
Blue Crack Overdose

I was glad Jeff made the decision to cancel the challenge, and that nobody won the pizza but mostly that no one got voted off. In light of what happened with black Russell and how miserable they all were in the constantly pouring rain I felt it was the right thing to do.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:37 PM   #170
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carek1230 View Post
I was glad Jeff made the decision to cancel the challenge, and that nobody won the pizza but mostly that no one got voted off. In light of what happened with black Russell and how miserable they all were in the constantly pouring rain I felt it was the right thing to do.
Well, Jeff calling off the challenge was a good move, but a better move would have been to allow the tribes to split the pizza. Considering the challenge ended in a draw due to unforeseen circumstances, that would have been a nice gesture by Jeff.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:40 PM   #171
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

The decisions that were made last night- cancelling the challenge, no pizza, no tribal councils- do you think those are made specifically by Jeff? Or by the producers of the show?
Old 10-24-2009, 03:39 PM   #172
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
The decisions that were made last night- cancelling the challenge, no pizza, no tribal councils- do you think those are made specifically by Jeff? Or by the producers of the show?
I'd say the producers were making those calls. Watching Russell collapse like that was uncomfortable to watch. And I felt Jeff making such a big production of taking him out of the game was more for the cameras than for him. To be honest, I was wondering if it was really the best thing to tell someone so fragile that they're out of the game at that moment, or to wait until he's been stablilized. I guess it was fine, but it still seemed kind of. . .shameless to be playing to the cameras while this guy is in such serious shape.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:44 PM   #173
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
are those really your only questions

if you give any real thought to this 'reality?' show

the whole thing falls apart

I think bald russell was casted and scripted from day one

they had such a ratings boost with 'coach' last season they knew a negative figure like that would be another big hit

keep in mind that when you are watching this there are two? three? maybe more production people around the person you see on screen

this is not like 'Big Brother' with the cast isolated with hidden or mounted cameras

on night one when Russel dumped all the water and burned the shoes, with two or three crew following him around and no one woke up?

Russell just got a wild hunch to look up inside the hollow tree? without one clue?
They weren't really questions. More observations that their editing is getting a little lazy and transparent. Again on this week's episode, you knew Russell was going to be in serious hurt the way they gave him the hero's treatment at the beginning of the episode. My friend and I were jokng that when they start doing the silhouette and slow-motion shots, you know this guy is going to be hurt bad!

I agree they do cast for certain characters. . .and they did a great job with Russell. He is imminently watchable. As far as scripting. . .I'm neither here nor there on that. I'd prefer to believe they don't script in advance, only with the editing, but I'm sure it's possible that they script more than that. I don't think they scripted the five days of rain though. That looked really miserable.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:54 PM   #174
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post

I agree they do cast for certain characters. . .and they did a great job with Russell.

I take it you meant white Russell.

or better said, Russell H. not Russell S. (the taller one that got sick)
Old 10-24-2009, 08:19 PM   #175
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPryck2U View Post
I'm not too sure about this episode being one of the all time great ones.
Yeah, I'm with you, on that. I think that people were jumping the gun. Good stuff, but hardly THAT compelling.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:24 PM   #176
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
Watching him totally out cold leaning on the maze thing with his face was freaky.
But otherwise kind of anticlimactic episode.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:59 AM   #177
Blue Crack Overdose

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPryck2U View Post
Well, Jeff calling off the challenge was a good move, but a better move would have been to allow the tribes to split the pizza. Considering the challenge ended in a draw due to unforeseen circumstances, that would have been a nice gesture by Jeff.
True
Old 10-25-2009, 09:24 PM   #178
Neon Zebra

I disagree. At that point no one had any idea what Russell's medical situation was. For a second there it looked like poor Jeff even thought the guy was dead. It really was not an appropriate time. Besides, they aren't there to be pampered with pizza parties. I think the way it was handled was fine. No one was sent home at tribal and that was reward enough for both tribes.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:57 PM   #179
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Wow that was an intense episode. I felt bad for Russell. He obviously put everything he had into the game. It was too bad he had to go out like that.

Personally I thought it was kind of fucked up to make them come all the way to tribal council only to tell them that there is no tribal council lol.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:35 PM   #180
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
I take it you meant white Russell.

or better said, Russell H. not Russell S. (the taller one that got sick)

Or Bad Russell as opposed to Good Russell?

Tags
survivor