Doctor Who and Torchwood - Page 20 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2012, 12:18 AM   #286
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:57 PM
Oops, guess I didn't say anything about this

Well reading it afterwards, the AVClub reviewer wrote/demonstrated on a plot level that there were a number of layers/contrasts in the way the episode was structured, which is nice in so far as that it shows Moffat spent a lot of time crafting the story, and is less nice in that the episode as aired didn't spend a lot of time really trying to handle it at all.

that said, the Doctor and Oswin are going to be a superb combination; they work smartly together. I don't even mind that they're trodding the romance path again since I realized Who makes more sense using each season as a self-contained story in a vague general continuity. So fine, River Song was his wife last season for whatever reason and that is bottled up there.

Now there were a few things ajar, like the way the director/editor shot the "Souffle girl" realization at the end was a bit ham-handed and I suspect that Moffat swallowed the implausibility of Clara's cloudfall simply to move the plot along/kill her, but overall I have to say I thought it was far far better than last year's trainwreck and almost as snappy as the Season 5 edition. Solid story, and I like that the Doctor is less genial and can be a bit nasty (as seen with Strax).

The new credit sequence will probably look a bit "of its time" in the future, because it looks very busy and that a CGI artist has gone mad with an unlimited budget, but I do like the TARDIS redesign. Apparently the show is shifting sets from Wales to a new location, and had the option of either trying to reconstruct the TARDIS in a new stage or just tearing it up and redesigning, and I like it.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:33 AM   #287
Blue Crack Supplier

I have not been able to figure out why Clara took a leave of absence from her governess position to work at a tavern/pub. It seemed like they were setting her up to be some operative for either Madam Vastra or someone but that thread was totally left dangling at the end.

Any thoughts on that?

Old 12-28-2012, 12:49 AM   #288
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Oh that's a good point, I forgot about that. I'm going to rewatch the opening and see if any lines stick out

edit- well, the "Doctor Doyle" part completely escaped me the first time.

no luck divining anything, although the bar owner certainly thought she kept moving back and forth between those jobs. it's hard to tell with the current show runner if it's part of a long-running plan or just a random tossed-off plot bit.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:29 AM   #289
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

new Doctor Who!

downside is this is the second straight episode of the Doctor introducing himself to Clara. I've literally seen this before, this was the last episode before now.

upside: the wifi-controlled people swarming the Doctor were creepy

downside: let's not have a literal "IQ" switch you can flip up and down on command, please?

upside: lots (and lots!) of wide open outdoor shots. This is not being filmed in a Welsh quarry. Loved the Doctor toodling around on the motorbike with his nerdy goggles.

As a story I felt kind of mixed- stuck reintroducing things, but there was some good moments throughout.

Quote:
The titular “Bells Of Saint John” refer to the ringing phone in the Doctor’s TARDIS, as it features a St. John Ambulance logo as part of its general Police Box disguise. Nina, one of the children in Clara’s care, is reading a book by Amelia Williams—time-displaced companion turned author Amy Pond, naturally—and Clara is quick to point out that, as good as the tenth chapter is, chapter 11 is even better. I’ll leave you to ponder the deeper significance of that last one.
Also, age 23 was missing from the 101 Things book, and Clara couldn't type 23 for the pw, instead going for 24.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:11 PM   #290
Blue Crack Supplier

I thought this was fairly lame. The notion that he won't take the TARDIS "into battle" was total bullshit as he does it almost every episode.

The Christmas episode was more fun, funnier, clever, etc. Modern-day episodes in London centered on new technology are usually lame, with the exception of Blink. And the pre-credit homage to that episode was quite desperate.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:50 PM   #291
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Link

Two returning actors have been named for the Doctor Who 50th Annniversary Special, which apparently starts filming next week. One is pretty obvious and should be fun, and the other should never, ever, ever, ever, ever return.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #292
Refugee

Local Time: 01:57 AM
I couldn't agree more with that sentiment.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #293
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:57 PM
I'm not really feeling the second half of series 7 so far, two episodes in. I don't think it's (just) the budget or production values either, which I usually don't really notice, although the BBC must be in dire straits indeed if DW has a smaller budget now than they did when no one knew if new-Who would be popular.

Also, I'm a bit fed up with being drip-fed episodes at a rate of 6 or 7 a year. If they're doing it so they can get a whole year's budget for fewer episodes and therefore a higher per-episode budget, I can forgive it, but I dunno if that's what's happening.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:58 AM   #294
Refugee

Location: The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxaroedenfoe
Local Time: 06:57 AM
Is Clara really River Song?
Old 04-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #295
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

ooh a good one this last week. Really enjoyed how slow the pace was, having the Doctor and Clara wander around the mansion for the first 15 minutes without cramming 14 different ideas in.

....the end with the pocket universe got a little handwavey, but god that was a great forest for them to film in. I could watch another 10 minutes of just Matt Smith wandering through it.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:25 PM   #296
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:57 PM
There's definitely been an improvement, that was a great episode indeed. I'm really looking forward to the next one, I love a bit of TARDIS action.

Very apprehensive about the season finale though. :-/
Old 04-29-2013, 03:09 AM   #297
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Steven Moffat is not a great showrunner- episodes keep showing the same pattern. An episode with a boatload of cool ideas, but a lot of sprawl/not a lot of time to breathe, with really exciting moments followed by tone-deafness.

The scene with the Doctor convincing the salvagers to jump inside, and then set the self-destruct was amazing. A+ for Matt Smith. Everything else about that crew was useless and a waste of time. Cut them out! Have a control room Time Gadget break and set everything on its way. Use the extra 10+ minutes freed up to have Clara wander around interacting with past and future selves, or have them just talk and hide from zombies.

Loved the Eye of Harmony. Weird zombie logic. LOVED the cliff-side confrontation with Clara and the Doctor. Hated that they strummed up the big heroic music and made the leap of faith the wrong triumphant note. LOVED the blank TARDIS stage. And then a (quasi) reset of everything. Hmmm....
Old 05-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #298
Refugee

Did anyone else hear the ninth doctor speech that said something about not even Genghis Khan could get into the Tardis? I couldn't, because I've got a lot of wax build up on my ear. But big deal, it was from Rose and I've already got season 1 on DVD. Does anyone else have Doctor Who on DVD?

Yes, I really like Matt Smith as an actor, well in Doctor Who anyway. I haven't seen him in anything else, so I can't compare him to David Tennant in Broadchurch or Hamlet. But I haven't seen Tennant in Hamlet or Broadchurch much either, so I can't compare these performances to anything.

I really enjoyed that last episode as well, but not as much as Angels Take Manhattan or that one with the human spoons a few weeks ago. I think I prefer it to Snowman, but I did think that this Christmas episode dragged a tinsy winsy bit in the middle. I drifted off into a daydream, and that usually means that whatever it is I'm watching has lost my attention. Unlike GI Joe, which overstimulated me to the point that I started running and darting about my flat.

But yes I do like assessing and judging acting. I find it easier to tell a good actor/performance than a good singer/performance. I'm tone deaf, but with acting all I have to do is think to myself "am I convinced?" It's fun!
Old 05-05-2013, 03:54 AM   #299
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

that was a flat out dire episode. Actually it felt like a pile of genre tropes that was beyond me, where everything out of Diana Riggs' mouth was stock villain hyperbole and the heroes are running around with a giant glowing red vial of Bad Poison like it's 1960s Batman. And now we have kids on the tardis?
Old 05-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #300
Refugee

Ye, I do find that the show is turning very childish also. When the doctor was tied up in that room and had a red face, did anyone else think it was like that scene in Hellraiser?

That red liquid, was that some gunk left over from Ghostbusters 2? I thought that Matt Smith was a bit too hammy in this episode.

Tags
doctor who, torchwood